Cuts to NCAA Revenue Distribution

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
steviep123
Sly Williams

Cuts to NCAA Revenue Distribution

Unread post by steviep123 »

Interesting article in the Athletic:

Cuts to NCAA revenue distribution carry a ripple effect for athletic departments

It's clearly going to have an effect across the landscape. Sad to say this may become the excuse to not build the practice facility or other needed improvements at URI.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Cuts to NCAA Revenue Distribution

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The practice facility is totally dependent on donor money, as far as I know.

As long as our top donors don't lose too much money in this economic disaster, it still should happen.

Could be delayed even more, though.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Some conferences such as the AAC and USA are asking the NCAA to relax the rule that they need 16 different sports programs to qualify as a D1 school.

That's bad...if that's granted, then watch for many schools to start cutting programs.

The ramifications of this virus will be felt for years, not months.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Will nCAA football be ready to start on time or be delayed ??
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

One thing's for sure.....if the schools don't reopen this fall, there will be no football.....or basketball.
0 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

An interesting and thought-provoking take that makes some good points (and also a few I disagree with):

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... ege-sports

One possible consequence of the pandemic:

Here is the most important potential change: The little guys will stop chasing the big guys, a hopeless race in any case. Schools like Eastern Michigan and Arkansas State and Old Dominion (which recently cut its wrestling team) will rethink the place of athletics on their campuses. A school might have a Division I basketball team, but everything else would be in a lower division, where they can better compete. They might decide they no longer need to bend admissions standards and have special facilities for athletes, or a big budget dedicated to recruiting. They might conclude they can no longer afford to pay their coaches millions of dollars.
0 x