Roster 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Roster 2020-21

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Roster 2020-21:

Fatts Russell - G
Jeremy Sheppard - G
Jalen Carey - G
Malik Martin - G/F
Jermaine Harris - C
Antwan Walker - F
DJ Johnson - F
Ishmael Leggett - G
Tres Berry - G
Makhi Mitchell - F
Makhel Mitchell - C

Ileri Ayo-Faleye - F (redshirt?)

Transfers, will sit out one year:

Allen Betrand - G

12 scholarship players eligible to play for the 2020-21 season, likely one of them reshirting (TBD).
Last edited by rhodyfan3000 3 years ago, edited 30 times in total.
2 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Re: Roster 2020-21

Unread post by Dino611 »

Evan Cole F Grad Transfer
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Nice digging. Added to the list, especially since he has a list that has been narrowed down to about 10 schools and Rhode Island is one of them.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Asterisk removed from Harris
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Good stuff, nice to have this all laid out in one place.
2 x
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

Is Kevin Marfo from Quinnipiac on anyone's list. Originally signed with GW and immediately available. 6' 8" and 245 lbs.

As a Redshirt Sophomore in 2018-19
- Played in 25 games, averaging 5.4 points and 7.5 rebounds per game
- Grabbed 10 rebounds vs. Hartford (11/15)
- Added 14 more rebounds at New Hampshire (11/20)
- Scored 12 points to go along with 13 rebounds at Dartmouth (12/5)
- Registered 10 points and eight rebounds vs. Lafayette (12/8)
- Recorded 15 points and 13 rebounds vs. Bethune-Cookman (Dec. 19)
- Added 10 points and 13 more rebounds in the non-conference finale vs. Stony Brook (12/22)
- Recorded eight points and 10 rebounds vs. Iona (Feb. 8)
- Added six points and 11 rebounds vs. NJIT in the CollegeInsider.com Tournament (3/18)

As a Sophomore in 2017-18
Took a redshirt season after transferring from George Washington

At George Washington
- Saw action in 23 of 35 games for the Colonials as a freshman in 2016-17
- Scored a season-high 18 points vs. Florida State on Dec. 4, shooting 6-of-10 from the floor and grabbing a game high-tying nine rebounds
- Registered nine points in 13 minutes vs. Harvard on Nov. 29.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Discussion on Marfo is in the Recruiting Section. URI originally recruited Marfo.
He has garnered much interest from many P5 programs
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Boom! Abou Ousmane - F, moved up to the committed list. Very impressive get for Coach Cox!
2 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Discussion on Marfo is in the Recruiting Section. URI originally recruited Marfo.
He has garnered much interest from many P5 programs
yup...top5 just released https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/03/27/qui ... -top-five/
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Boom! Abou Ousmane - F, moved up to the committed list. Very impressive get for Coach Cox!
......one small step for a Rhody fans......series of these will get us facing and moving in a good direction......agree, seems like a decent get....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

I don’t think DJ needs a question mark. He redshirted this year and we’ll be suiting up next season guaranteed.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Question mark removed from DJ Johnson.
1 x
DelroyIsMyHero
Michael Andersen

Unread post by DelroyIsMyHero »

Total guess, but here's my predictions:

JH stays and becomes "the guy" while he finally figures it out. Toppin is double digits per game in points. Fatts gets picked in the 2nd Round of the draft and heads to pro ball. We're all incredibly proud at him after a few years when he has a rematch with Trae and picks his pocket in the first possession. We pick up the twins but miss out on a shooter. 50/50 we get Gage. Ish or Tres wins the starting 1 with Fatts and Jeff's departures. Sheppard impresses and jumps into the starting 5 to round out some experience. Obviously Toppin moves up - fits in well as a wing. We take JH off the 5 to see if we can get some more flex big work from him while Makhel gets 30 minutes a game, this helps JH drive more to the basket and get his feet moving. Tres or Ish is the 6th man, and not sure how the rest of the bench moves from there? I think this is a competitive A10 team, but not the top of the league. NIT is a realistic goal for year 1.

Starting 5
Ishmael Leggett - Guard
Jeremy Sheppard - Guard
Jacob Toppin - Wing
Jermaine Harris - Big
Makhel Mitchell - Big

Bench
Norance Tres Berry - Guard
Antwan Walker - Wing/Big
Makhi Mitchell - Big
DJ Johnson - Wing/Big
Elijah Wood - Guard
Abou Ousmane - Big
Last edited by DelroyIsMyHero 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Fatts is not getting drafted
3 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

My rare optimistic POV as of late. Cox crushes it this spring rounds out the 5, 4 now, remaining schoolies with guys that want to be here. Harris turns into a leader. Fatts has a consistent season, i would rather his ppg drop 2 or 3 and fg%/assists go up, not a roller coaster typical fatts season. These young kids play there roll some will play more then others but they will grow as a group and can make some serious noise there Junior & senior seasons.
1 x
DelroyIsMyHero
Michael Andersen

Unread post by DelroyIsMyHero »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago My rare optimistic POV as of late. Cox crushes it this spring rounds out the 5, 4 now, remaining schoolies with guys that want to be here. Harris turns into a leader. Fatts has a consistent season, i would rather his ppg drop 2 or 3 and fg%/assists go up, not a roller coaster typical fatts season. These young kids play there roll some will play more then others but they will grow as a group and can make some serious noise there Junior & senior seasons.
If Fatts does stay, I think this team has another shot at making the tourney, even with losing Tyrese, Cyril, and Jeff.

A starting 5 of
Fatts
Ish
Toppin
JH
Makhel Mitchell

would be absolutely filthy. Incredibly well rounded and with Sheppard, Tres, MM, and Walker off the bench... you're in very good shape.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I mean what is the likelyhood we even get the twins now?

I feel like we would lose somebody else eventually because I doubt you would get enough play time to go around and keep them happy.

Ousmane, JH, Walker and the Twins.

Toppin can also play down low and we could see small lineups with just one of those guys and Toppin.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

DelroyIsMyHero wrote: 4 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago My rare optimistic POV as of late. Cox crushes it this spring rounds out the 5, 4 now, remaining schoolies with guys that want to be here. Harris turns into a leader. Fatts has a consistent season, i would rather his ppg drop 2 or 3 and fg%/assists go up, not a roller coaster typical fatts season. These young kids play there roll some will play more then others but they will grow as a group and can make some serious noise there Junior & senior seasons.
If Fatts does stay, I think this team has another shot at making the tourney, even with losing Tyrese, Cyril, and Jeff.

A starting 5 of
Fatts
Ish
Toppin
JH
Makhel Mitchell

would be absolutely filthy. Incredibly well rounded and with Sheppard, Tres, MM, and Walker off the bench... you're in very good shape.

Sheppard is definitely starting next year.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

DelroyIsMyHero wrote: 4 years ago

A starting 5 of
Fatts
Ish
Toppin
JH
Makhel Mitchell

Sheppard will start next year, book it. He isn't hanging around to come off the bench. Ish is gonna be great but its rare for a FR to start from Day 1 at the guard spot.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Sheppard is definitely starting.

We have to replace Long and Martin now. I’m sure the focus has shifted.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

To me, that means go after Tray Jackson or Brandon Murray.

Martin and Long were wings. Jackson is a prototype lefty wing, Murray is a pure shooter you can leave out on the wing.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Sheppard is definitely starting.

We have to replace Long and Martin now. I’m sure the focus has shifted.
How can anything with Sheppard be considered a definite at this point?
4 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Can someone fill me in as to why there is still speculation with Sheppard’s eligibility. He sat out this whole year. He’s done his time. Right?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago Can someone fill me in as to why there is still speculation with Sheppard’s eligibility. He sat out this whole year. He’s done his time. Right?
Right. He will be playing.
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Question mark removed from Sheppard.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Right now we have 9 players. Could turn to 8 if Fatts does more than test the waters.

Berry looks good for a potential next commit. Which would give us 5 guards. At this point, you have two veterans who have played together in practice in Fatts and Sheppard. Backcourt of the future in Leggett and Berry. What seems like a very patient, team oriented player in Wood.

So? Stop there with guards, concentrate on other areas? Perhaps get a bit more selective with the scholarships? Wait and see if the twins like their visit? Wait and see if Tray Jackson, Brandon Murphy (swing) or Akeem Odusipe (if twins balk) could be had.

I think a back to back commitment by Boo-Berry takes some of the pressure off of the works and allows you to patiently go after your top recruits like other teams out there.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

My guess is that Fatts doesn’t return to URI. I don’t think he stays in the draft, but may play in Europe or go to a power 5 for one year and a run at the tourney. If Cox didn’t have his back so much the last two years I would say there is no chance of him coming back. We will see how loyal he is to Cox.

My guess is Sheppard and Gage are your point guards next year. I’m not big on Gage as some others and it will leave us with two senior point guards meaning this will be a big hole come 2021-22. I would prefer to get someone with 2-3 years eligibility as I think this will be more of a rebuild next year. I think it is important to lock up Berry and would love to get Odusipe first and the twins second, but either would be good gets. It would be tough to see why Gage would come here with Sheppard and Fatts both in the mix. IF Fatts leaves roll the ball out and get Toppin, Leggett, Berry and the young guys as much experience as possible even if it is painful at times. For me I would rather have a losing record with a young team that is growing-need to be kept them from transferring-than a team that goes 15-14 and guys that are average and seniors take the valuable minutes from the younger players.
Last edited by RamStock 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

They tried to find someone my age to interview who actually ate this crap as a kid, but they couldn't find anyone still alive who did.
3 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Hey, at least the ghost on the box is blue and white. That's something.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

My guess is we start 5 walkons next year.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......my guess is we will assemble a decent team that will be picked mid pack of A-10.....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago My guess is that Fatts doesn’t return to URI. I don’t think he stays in the draft, but may play in Europe or go to a power 5 for one year and a run at the tourney. If Cox didn’t have his back so much the last two years I would say there is no chance of him coming back. We will see how loyal he is to Cox.

My guess is Sheppard and Gage are your point guards next year. I’m not big on Gage as some others and it will leave us with two senior point guards meaning this will be a big hole come 2021-22. I would prefer to get someone with 2-3 years eligibility as I think this will be more of a rebuild next year. I think it is important to lock up Berry and would love to get Odusipe first and the twins second, but either would be good gets. It would be tough to see why Gage would come here with Sheppard and Fatts both in the mix. IF Fatts leaves roll the ball out and get Toppin, Leggett, Berry and the young guys as much experience as possible even if it is painful at times. For me I would rather have a losing record with a young team that is growing-need to be kept them from transferring-than a team that goes 15-14 and guys that are average and seniors take the valuable minutes from the younger players.
#1out would suggest that you are correct.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

This is what I'm talking a bout...don't hate the Transfer Game...just get good at it...

The Rams ...They’ve been listed as being involved with a pair of graduate transfers in DePaul guard Devin Gage and Georgia Tech forward Evan Cole. URI is also chasing St. Benedict’s (N.J.) big man Mounir Hima, Tennessee forward Akeem Odusipe and Charlotte transfer Malik Martin, the younger brother of former Rams great Hassan Martin.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
This is what I'm talking a bout...don't hate the Transfer Game...just get good at it...

The Rams ...They’ve been listed as being involved with a pair of graduate transfers in DePaul guard Devin Gage and Georgia Tech forward Evan Cole. URI is also chasing St. Benedict’s (N.J.) big man Mounir Hima, Tennessee forward Akeem Odusipe and Charlotte transfer Malik Martin, the younger brother of former Rams great Hassan Martin.
ETA: While we're at it...if the transfer rules are going to be as loose as expected...seems we'd be able to do better quicker playing that game than recruiting HS-ers?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

208, I think it was said somewhere that the staff will be focusing more on transfers going forward.

After we sign Berry of course.

That would leave us with 3 openings for next season.

My guess is, we get 2 transfers soon and leave one opening for another....there will be many more available transfers in the coming weeks.

Would love to get Odusipe but not likely I guess.

Signing Malik and Cole, on top of already getting Berry and Ousmane, would be a grand slam home run.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

I think Cole would be a pretty good get for us and give Ousmane time to develop and come off the bench to spell Evan, unless we are still in on the Twins.

I hope they get Cole, Martin, Odusipe(obviously). I don’t love Gage, but if Fatts leaves I guess we need another point guard to bridge the gap before we will need to recruit another 1-2 point guards the following year. Hima looks like a project and I hope we pass on him. It will be interesting to see if the Mitchell twins are still a possibly to come here
Last edited by RamStock 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Agree on Hima. Project. No thanks.

As for the Mitchell twins, unlikely imo.

I hear they need to visit...that could be a long time.

Can't afford to leave 2 spots open and held hostage for that with no guarantees also.

Going to be a lot of signings sight unseen. That's the world we live in, for a while at least.

Hell, Pitino got 6 commits without seeing any of them. Of course that's extreme because he's Pitino, but you get the idea.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Ram one-Maria Mitchell, the Twins mom, posted that she hasn’t forgotten about URI and plans on coming, but like you said that would mean we would have to wait over a month at least which is dangerous.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Agree on Hima. Project. No thanks.

As for the Mitchell twins, unlikely imo.

I hear they need to visit...that could be a long time.

Can't afford to leave 2 spots open and held hostage for that with no guarantees also.

Going to be a lot of signings sight unseen. That's the world we live in, for a while at least.

Hell, Pitino got 6 commits without seeing any of them. Of course that's extreme because he's Pitino, but you get the idea.
Right. The idea being...if Rick was 'here'...we wouldn't be fretting about the roster....
Many would find much other stuff to fret about (that's de rigueur here), but we'd probably be jakked about the roster and potential. ;)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Here's a question that I don't think anyone has asked.....

If the no sit out rule passes....

Would those who have already transferred once be able to again, since there would be no penalty?

Would their past transfer count toward the limit of once?

So in the case of the Mitchell twins, if they were to come here, could they transfer out again?

If they couldn't [except for extreme circumstances of course] that would help.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Here's a question that I don't think anyone has asked.....

If the no sit out rule passes....

Would those who have already transferred once be able to again, since there would be no penalty?

Would their past transfer count toward the limit of once?

So in the case of the Mitchell twins, if they were to come here, could they transfer out again?

If they couldn't [except for extreme circumstances of course] that would help.
No they couldnt only one transfer period. Would have to sit out a year in that scenario. The postponement of the decision on the transfer rule til June will definitely affect some of the programs decisions with its uncertainty. If it didnt get passed could affect alot of programs.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Anybody hearing that the spring signing period has been pushed back?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Evan Cole looks like he could do the trick.

This from his sophomore year.

1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

4 scholarships open.

It's really only 3, because Berry is likely to commit sooner rather than later.

Then I think at that point, you go for best available. Akeem? Murray? Martin? Cole? If you can score two of those, or even 3, I think you have to strike while the iron is hot.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago 4 scholarships open.

Then I think at that point, you go for best available. Akeem? Murray? Martin? Cole? If you can score two of those, or even 3, I think you have to strike while the iron is hot.
I also don't think we want 6 freshmen.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Evan Cole looks like he could do the trick.

This from his sophomore year.

"The Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech has a hell of an engineer"
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago 4 scholarships open.

I also don't think we want 6 freshmen.
Martin, Cole, Jackson, Gage are not freshman

on the other hand, you would have to be truly self loathing to not take Akeem or Murray if they wanted to come here.

You know, unless CL like talent or the best pure shooter left available really isn't your sort of thing....
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cole does look like a player what were his stats ??
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I hate to say it but this feels a lot like 2004-2005 or 2011-2012.
2 x