Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Unread post by steviep123 »

waiver.jpg
4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great let’s get waivers for Malik and JAlen then it looks like top 3 baby !!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Stop
Bumping
This
Thread

(Oooops I just bumped it?)
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Why?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years agoWhy?
It gives me another chance to curse him, his tampering snake of a coach and all the Leg-humpers. Screw all of them.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah that’s what it’s here for (among other things). I don’t get why people get agitated about thread bumps. I get that during the transfer period a guy’s thread being suddenly bumped from page 6 might cause a moment panic, but Tyrese is already gone so not sure what the issue is.
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Maybe this should be moved to Recruitment Corner...as a compromise.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

He got his waver.

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That's incredible.
0 x
GO RAMS
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

It is just unbelievable the rate at which they are approving these waivers. Some of which have merit and others like martin would have never been approved in the past. The athletes last year that got denied on similar terms are really getting screwed. Players like Antwan Walker I feel bad for.

I can not even dream up an arguement to defend the reasoning for martin to get that waiver other then the transfer rule will pass next year.
1 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

It seems like they've pretty much approved everyone.
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

We were obviously the beneficiaries of a loose waiver process this year, BUT...

I'm still bitter and this is complete BS!

Oh well, we are better off without him.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote: 3 years ago It is just unbelievable the rate at which they are approving these waivers. Some of which have merit and others like martin would have never been approved in the past. The athletes last year that got denied on similar terms are really getting screwed. Players like Antwan Walker I feel bad for.

I can not even dream up an arguement to defend the reasoning for martin to get that waiver other then the transfer rule will pass next year.
It’s not complicated. The waiver process is going away and the one-time transfer rule is going to be the new normal. It is only not the case this year because the vote on it was delayed due to the pandemic, so they essentially informally implemented it a year early. I’m cool with it - this year is so unusual as it is, and a lot of these guys transferred because they reasonably expected the new rule to be in effect.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hopefully he will screw up a lot of UConn fast break opportunities by not passing off the ball to an open man just as he did here for two years.
4 x
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

I wish Tyrese good luck and I am happy he got the waiver. I believe from the transfer pluses and minus perspective it has been very good to us, and I honestly believe our new Martin will make us a better TEAM overall!!!
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago That's incredible.
why is it any more incredible than the waivers given to transfers to URI?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'd prefer that changes in matters such as the transfer rule if approved be for 4 years in the future. It is unfair to current athletes who have made career decisions based on NCAA's rules.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Life is not fair unfortunately, and rule changes should be made for what is best for college athletics in totality, and not how it could impact some individuals on a micro-level.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree they are basically approving all the waivers and I don’t have a problem with it
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago Hopefully he will screw up a lot of UConn fast break opportunities by not passing off the ball to an open man just as he did here for two years.
In fairness, he was not alone there. Pretty much all year it seemed that the new fast break = "whoever is dribbling the ball on the break, shoots it"
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I just went back and reread the first page of this thread. The angst in those posts! Much of it directed at coach Cox. How things have changed since then. I think my wtf moment back then was the Toppin transfer. Not so much about him over Martin: more how many transfers. I was wondering at that time if we’d have enough players to field a representative team. I was thinking Rhody could be the St Joe’s of 20/21. I wasn’t thinking there would be that many transfers in and successful waivers back then.

I guess the lesson learned here is to be patient and not to panic if players leave the program after a season. To borrow a phrase that’s been overused during these Covid times, this is to become the new normal in college basketball.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago I just went back and reread the first page of this thread. The angst in those posts! Much of it directed at coach Cox. How things have changed since then. I think my wtf moment back then was the Toppin transfer. Not so much about him over Martin: more how many transfers. I was wondering at that time if we’d have enough players to field a representative team. I was thinking Rhody could be the St Joe’s of 20/21. I wasn’t thinking there would be that many transfers in and successful waivers back then.

I guess the lesson learned here is to be patient and not to panic if players leave the program after a season. To borrow a phrase that’s been overused during these Covid times, this is to become the new normal in college basketball.
Well said. Patience is key. Things play out over time.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago I just went back and reread the first page of this thread. The angst in those posts! Much of it directed at coach Cox. How things have changed since then. I think my wtf moment back then was the Toppin transfer. Not so much about him over Martin: more how many transfers. I was wondering at that time if we’d have enough players to field a representative team. I was thinking Rhody could be the St Joe’s of 20/21. I wasn’t thinking there would be that many transfers in and successful waivers back then.

Losing Toppin and Martin were both big, unexpected surprises. They created big unexpected holes to Fill and David Cox did a good job to fill them. Fortunately the waivers were granted otherwise we would be in a big hole. I think Toppin has great potential. Martin was an outstanding rebounder and will be a starter for UConn. I’d prefer they both still be here but moving on.

As for the new norm it depends on to what extent this transfer new norm is affecting other A10 teams.
The Top 3 Preseason Teams in the A10: Saint Louis, Richmond and Saint Bonaventure all have their Starting 5’s back for 2020-2021:

#31. Rothstein early Top 45 - Saint Louis
Projected Starting 5:
G Yuri Collins
G Jordan Goodwin
G Fred Thatch
F Javonte Perkins
C Hasahn French

Key Losses: None
Key Newcomers: Markhi Strickland, Marten Linssen (UNC Wilmington)
Sit Out Transfers: Francis Okoro (Oregon)
Projected Bench: Jimmy Bell, Gibson Jimerson, Terrance Hargrove Jr., Markhi Strickland, Demarius Jacobs, Marten Linssen

#34. Rothstein early Top 45 - Richmond

Projected Starting 5:
G Jacob Gilyard
G Blake Francis
F Nick Sherod
F Nathan Cayo
C Grant Golden

Key Losses: Jake Wojcik
Key Newcomers: Isaiah Wilson, Connor Crabtree (Tulane), Djimon Bailey
Sit Out Transfers: None
Projected Bench: Andre Gustavson, Tyler Burton, Souleymane Koureissi, Connor Crabtree, Djimon Bailey

#60 Madness Top 144 - Saint Bonaventure

Key Departed Players:
Bobby Planutis, Forward, 5.4 ppg
Amadi Ikpeze, Center, 3.6 ppg

Key Returning Players:
Kyle Lofton, Junior, Guard, 14.1 ppg
Jaren English, Junior, Guard, 11.9 ppg
Dominick Welch, Junior, Guard, 11.8 ppg
Osun Osunniyi, Junior, Forward/Center, 10.8 ppg
Justin Winston, Sophomore, Forward, 8.7 ppg

Alejandro Vasquez, Sophomore, Guard, 6.3 ppg
Alpha Okoli, Junior, Guard, 0.1 ppg

Key New Players:
Jalen Adaway, Junior, Guard, Transfer from Miami (OH)
Eddie Creal, Junior, Guard, JC Transfer
Quintin Metcalf, Freshman, Forward
Anthony Roberts, Junior, Guard, Transfer from Kent State, not eligible
Jalen Shaw, Junior, Forward/Center, JC Transfer
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I was thinking more new normal for college basketball in general, not the A 10 specifically. Transfer numbers have already been increasing the past couple of years and it stands to reason they will increase even more once the immediate eligibility rule officially passed. This should happen soon.

I will resist playing the old man card regarding kids not wanting to stick with a program and work hard for their playing time. 😀
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago I was thinking more new normal for college basketball in general, not the A 10 specifically. Transfer numbers have already been increasing the past couple of years and it stands to reason they will increase even more once the immediate eligibility rule officially passed. This should happen soon.

I will resist playing the old man card regarding kids not wanting to stick with a program and work hard for their playing time. 😀
It's like...I once had a boss, who asked me why I didn't do a particular thing.
Me: I really didn't want to upset their applecart
Him: No one uses applecarts anymore...
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hurley’s assessment of each of his players preseason:

On Martin....

“He brings a lot of positional versatility. He can play anywhere from a second guard to a small-ball four man in a four-guard set up. Super athlete, physically strong at about 220, can be a high, high level defender. Big time finisher. Big time on both backboards. And a guy who’s got a little bit of edge to him, which I put a lot of value in it, being a Jersey guy coaching a Northeastern style of basketball. Tyrese getting his waiver [to play this season after transferring] was big for us, because he just brings a ton of versatility and he’s got a very high ceiling.”

Tyrese got his waiver and with the latest NCAA announcement Tyrese can play next year too if he so chooses.

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-me ... story.html
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Hurley’s assessment of each of his players preseason:

On Martin....

“He brings a lot of positional versatility. He can play anywhere from a second guard to a small-ball four man in a four-guard set up. Super athlete, physically strong at about 220, can be a high, high level defender. Big time finisher. Big time on both backboards. And a guy who’s got a little bit of edge to him, which I put a lot of value in it, being a Jersey guy coaching a Northeastern style of basketball. Tyrese getting his waiver [to play this season after transferring] was big for us, because he just brings a ton of versatility and he’s got a very high ceiling.”

Tyrese got his waiver and with the latest NCAA announcement Tyrese can play next year too if he so chooses.

Screw him, his snake of a coach and all the Leg-humpers going back to E. O. Smith.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Hurley’s assessment of each of his players preseason:

On Martin....

Screw him, his snake of a coach and all the Leg-humpers going back to E. O. Smith.
But I’ll be rooting for the UConn Huskies, Dan Hurley and Tyrese Martin in At least two games This season. FTF.
3 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

FTF for sure.

Thank you ramster.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

On Martin....

Says can be a high level defender but does he want to ??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 years ago

On Martin....

Says can be a high level defender but does he want to ??
Hurley recruited Martin. Note above w
The comments Hurley made on Martin, “can be a high, high level defender”. There you have it. Will be interesting to see Martin play this year. I hope he dominated the PC Fryuzzz in the 2 conference games and knocks PC out of the BE Tournament.

My favorite team is the URI Rams
My next favorite team is whoever is playing the PC Fryuzzz. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

On Martin....

But I’ll be rooting for the UConn Huskies, Dan Hurley and Tyrese Martin in At least two games This season. FTF.
In those games I root for a double forfeit — maybe pre-game bench-clearing brawls resulting in entire teams’ being ejected — so they both lose.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tyrese got the start tonight for UCONN vs USC
He had 11 points and 7 rebounds in the UCONN victory
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

F Tyrese Martin
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Roz wrote: 3 years agoF Tyrese Martin
LOL

Yeah he looked the same out there for them.

Airballed a three. Vintage Rese.

Had some nice wild shots go in at the rim. Vintage Rese.

Idk they can have him. I'm a big Malik Martin guy.

I REALLY want to play them.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

That would be great to play them. Who did they beat tonight?
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Roz wrote: 3 years ago That would be great to play them. Who did they beat tonight?
USC.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Did anyone watch the UConn game last night? They really did not look that impressive. Granted it was complete slop both ways, but 7 total points scored between both teams in the last 8 minutes of the game.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Did anyone watch the UConn game last night? They really did not look that impressive. Granted it was complete slop both ways, but 7 total points scored between both teams in the last 8 minutes of the game.
The game was sloppy at the end, but still a big OOC win for UConn against a talented USC team picked to finish in the top 5 of the Pac12.
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Def a sloppy game and Uconn did not look spectacular, but a good win on the resume.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Did anyone watch the UConn game last night? They really did not look that impressive. Granted it was complete slop both ways, but 7 total points scored between both teams in the last 8 minutes of the game.
I watched. Sloppy but a lot of talent on the floor for both teams. A solid win for Dan Hurley and UCONN. Tyrese got the starting role last night and looked good to me. He will fit in nicely with his rebounding skill helping along the way. UCONN may be the team to beat in the weaker Big East this season.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I watched. Sloppy but a lot of talent on the floor for both teams. A solid win for Dan Hurley and UCONN. Tyrese got the starting role last night and looked good to me. He will fit in nicely with his rebounding skill helping along the way. UCONN may be the team to beat in the weaker Big East this season.
I think Villanova and Creighton is still the the cream of the BE. Villanova always steady and Creighton is loaded with almost everyone back from winning the conference last year.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I expect UCONN and Villanova to battle annually for league supremacy soon: if not beginning this year, definitely within the next two years
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

We have more than made up for his departure...👋👋
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Tyrese moved up to a P5 conference and started. He wasn't happy enough at URI to stay. I wish him well. URI is moving on without him. No need to bash Tyrese for the decision he made.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Not P5.....you need big time football for that.....the best midmajor conference
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Tyrese moved up to a P5 conference and started. He wasn't happy enough at URI to stay. I wish him well. URI is moving on without him. No need to bash Tyrese for the decision he made.
Do you know what the “5” in P5 represents?
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

UConn is not P5
1 x