Bill Koch - Rams robbed of chance to erase weak finish

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Bill Koch - Rams robbed of chance to erase weak finish

Unread post by RF1 »

Bill Koch had a very good piece today that offered quite a bit to consider. It was referenced in another thread but I though it deserved its own thread to discuss its content.

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Bill Koch - Rams robbed of chance to erase weak finish

Unread post by RF1 »

One subject that Koch brought up was the apparent lack of new investment in the program after revenues increased. Many KB posters have harped on this.

With player movement more prevalent than ever in college basketball, exactly what are the Rams selling as a program? URI still isn’t chartering to all road games and has made no formal announcement regarding a practice facility two years removed from Dan Hurley’s departure. The donor cash behind a last-second push intended to keep him from going to the University of Connecticut appears to have disappeared — it certainly hasn’t been offered as of yet to fully back Cox and his staff.

NCAA credits have brought more money into the program, but various fan proposals about how to spend them are a reminder of how Powerball winners frequently go broke. According to numbers compiled by the U.S. Department of Education, the Rams spent $5.46 million on men’s basketball in 2017-18 — fourth-most in the conference — and reported no profits. That was the same season in which URI set an attendance record at the Ryan Center, drawing an average of 6,217 fans over 16 games.

The three teams that spent more than the Rams that year have been rewarded in the interim. Dayton reported profits of $6.95 million on a budget of $7.25 million in 2017-18, and that was before the expected windfall that will accompany this extended run in the national spotlight. Saint Louis won the conference tournament in 2018-19 and VCU secured its 11th NCAA bid since 2004 while reporting profits of $2.7 million on a budget of $6.15 million.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'd like to see Bill interview Thorr and ask him these questions.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Lost potential this season but it is fair to give this team a chance next year. Lots of potential returning as of now. Fatts is an all american candidate and the other guys aren't too shabby. If we could add some guys that can contribute right away we will be good. The Mitchell twins playing next year (idk if that is a possibility) would certainly push us into the tournament.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago One subject that Koch brought up was the apparent lack of new investment in the program after revenues increased. Many KB posters have harped on this.

With player movement more prevalent than ever in college basketball, exactly what are the Rams selling as a program? URI still isn’t chartering to all road games and has made no formal announcement regarding a practice facility two years removed from Dan Hurley’s departure. The donor cash behind a last-second push intended to keep him from going to the University of Connecticut appears to have disappeared — it certainly hasn’t been offered as of yet to fully back Cox and his staff.

NCAA credits have brought more money into the program, but various fan proposals about how to spend them are a reminder of how Powerball winners frequently go broke. According to numbers compiled by the U.S. Department of Education, the Rams spent $5.46 million on men’s basketball in 2017-18 — fourth-most in the conference — and reported no profits. That was the same season in which URI set an attendance record at the Ryan Center, drawing an average of 6,217 fans over 16 games.

The three teams that spent more than the Rams that year have been rewarded in the interim. Dayton reported profits of $6.95 million on a budget of $7.25 million in 2017-18, and that was before the expected windfall that will accompany this extended run in the national spotlight. Saint Louis won the conference tournament in 2018-19 and VCU secured its 11th NCAA bid since 2004 while reporting profits of $2.7 million on a budget of $6.15 million.
The most frustrating part of this is that there were at least a few of us, maybe more, that called this the day Hurley left. It was so predictable that we'd fall right back into our old habits of half assing everything. To watch it happen sucks.
7 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago The most frustrating part of this is that there were at least a few of us, maybe more, that called this the day Hurley left. It was so predictable that we'd fall right back into our old habits of half assing everything. To watch it happen sucks.
I am glad that Koch at last finally put it out there in print. It has been an ongoing discussion here for two years. Thorr has never had to publicly answer to this. This puts some pressure on him to address it.
5 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

The profits of the other programs are the results of NCAA tourney games. We need to get back to the tournament. Period.

No excuse next year. A roster with experienced Jrs and Srs again. Influx of some talented young guards.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago The most frustrating part of this is that there were at least a few of us, maybe more, that called this the day Hurley left. It was so predictable that we'd fall right back into our old habits of half assing everything. To watch it happen sucks.
I am glad that Koch at last finally put it out there in print. It has been an ongoing discussion here for two years. Thorr has never had to publicly answer to this. This puts some pressure on him to address it.
yes, I hope this gets some traction. I'm tired of the hands tied with Rhode Island red tape BS. What happened to all the "big" thinking?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago yes, I hope this gets some traction. I'm tired of the hands tied with Rhode Island red tape BS. What happened to all the "big" thinking?

BIG thinking.
LITTLE action.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
1 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago Lost potential this season but it is fair to give this team a chance next year. Lots of potential returning as of now. Fatts is an all american candidate and the other guys aren't too shabby. If we could add some guys that can contribute right away we will be good. The Mitchell twins playing next year (idk if that is a possibility) would certainly push us into the tournament.
You lost an all time player in Jeff. Who replaces him and his leadership? Dont say Shepard, who hasnt played in a game in almost two years. look at the rust that Walker had through most of the games this year. This loss is going to leave a big mark.

More Fatts hero ball? We all saw how that played out when it in the second half of the schedule.

Who replaces the toughness and rebounds of Cyril?

You people really have no idea how hard it is going to be to replace both of them. Much weaker defensive team.

the OOC schedule wont help them either this year. Need to almost run the table to make it mean anything.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago
RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
yes, I hope this gets some traction. I'm tired of the hands tied with Rhode Island red tape BS. What happened to all the "big" thinking?
Look at history. Penders promises went away. Harrick except for Ryan center promises went away, Hurley promises going away.

The only time a promise was kept after a coach left was the Ryan Center and that came off of a Elite 8 appearance and a governor who made it happen. Still remember talking to him in St Louis during the run and asking about the building and he said "it will happen, this team built it."
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RamFan94
Jim Eitner

Unread post by RamFan94 »

Any chance Dowtin and Cyril come back if they get the extra year of eligibility?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RamFan94 wrote: 4 years ago Any chance Dowtin and Cyril come back if they get the extra year of eligibility?
I'd love if they did, but, I'm not going to get upset if they decide to move on. (And also, the NCAA hasn't offered that to winter sports athletes yet.) They were both here for four years, and presumably, they're both graduating and looking at professional basketball options. They'd essentially be sacrificing $75,000+ a year to do another college season, depending on what kind of professional league they end up in. I didn't play college basketball, but I was pretty eager to move on to the "real" world once I graduated.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I think the weak finish is mostly a matter of perspective. If I am not mistaken in our first fifteen games we were 10-5 and in our last fifteen games we were 11-4. We all would have loved to see how this played out but I am not going to get on anyone's back for missing a tournament that was not even played especially when we did not lose our last game.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago I think the weak finish is mostly a matter of perspective. If I am not mistaken in our first fifteen games we were 10-5 and in our last fifteen games we were 11-4. We all would have loved to see how this played out but I am not going to get on anyone's back for missing a tournament that was not even played especially when we did not lose our last game.
My perspective is that we went 2-3 in our last five games and won the 2 games by a combined 2 points over garbage teams.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.........I guess that is classic, half full/half empty.......put me down somewhere between.......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Unless we fill these 4 scholarships with ready to contribute players I have a hard time seeing this team dance next year

Losing Jeff and Cyril is a huge blow
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Huge.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Cox had 3 All conference caliber playas this season.
Gonna be lean next season.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Maybe 2 more freshman recruits and 2 transfers for next season?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Maybe 2 more freshman recruits and 2 transfers for next season?
........and all four, whatever the mix need to be not in the “not ready yet”.......tic tic tic tic.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Year 3 and we are waiting on players who are not even committed here???? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Good piece by Bill. Big year for Cox.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Does the team get any credit for the losses at the end coming to a legitimate national title contender?

Does for me. Only bad losses were brown and they fell asleep against Richmond for 3 minutes. They also fumbled away a W to West Virginia but everything else was pretty good.

Force Jacob toppin to play in the paint aggressive and we will be good.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago Does the team get any credit for the losses at the end coming to a legitimate national title contender?

Does for me. Only bad losses were brown and they fell asleep against Richmond for 3 minutes. They also fumbled away a W to West Virginia but everything else was pretty good.

Force Jacob toppin to play in the paint aggressive and we will be good.
Yes put no less than 10 pounds on Jacob and make him play inside out and he will dominate. He hung around on the perimeter probably too much this year, but when he did go inside he had great touch around the basket and he's got that Toppin elevation. If he has a similar trajectory as his brother then we are in for something good.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I think it’s hard to confirm whether a team is ready or not to compete for titles when you still have 4 scholarships to fill. Let this play out. I would hold off predictions until just before the season starts. A lot will happen until then.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

Any transfers likely?if we could get a pipkin type !!!!!!
0 x