URI Transfer issues

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

URI Transfer issues

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

What is going on? Is there more to this than what we are seeing? Or is this just the new normal in college basketball? Today’s me now generation or do we have a major program problem?

How many transfers the last two years?
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: URI Transfer issues

Unread post by TruePoint »

New normal
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I would say it is the new normal coupled with the me generation....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

New normal, it is what it is. Kids/families want instant gratification.

This is not just a URI thing.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He family is delusional. Thought he should’ve got more playing time this year.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Don't like the new normal NCAA and world. Going to need a program to keep up with roster changes.. world wise we're waiting on customers in parking lot not letting them in the building.. going to miss the old normal
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Yes, definitely an instant gratification situation. I keep thinking that he should have felt ok with the minutes he received, as it would have been far fewer if Tate had remained on the roster.
I expect he moves to a lower D1 conference to get 25 -30 minutes of playing time.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

As they go thru high school, prep school and AAU they get fed bull shit by people around them that they are “good enough to play in the League”. These kids and their families are so full of unrealistic expectations. Before we evaluate Cox and the staff on this one let’s remember this.
1) Long switched HS/Prep after his Soph yr and Jr year
2) Long switched AAU teams in his final year between the Spring and Summer seasons.
3) Long transfers after his Fr year
5 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Ok so with over 8 transfers no one thinks there is any problems with the program? There has to be something going on besides just the me now?

Not saying there are major issues with program but maybe some underlying things that today’s youth don’t buy into?
4 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

More like a consistent shuffling at the bottom of the roster
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Mekhi's next school will be his 5th school in 5 years (Ryken, Massanutten, Mcnamara, Rhode Island, ???) and in his final two years of AAU he played with Team St8ment, Boo Williams and DC Premier.
Will be interesting to see where he goes. Certainly wish him the best!
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago Ok so with over 8 transfers no one thinks there is any problems with the program? There has to be something going on besides just the me now?

Not saying there are major issues with program but maybe some underlying things that today’s youth don’t buy into?
It's tough to determine if this is a URI/staff issue when in last week 5-6 players transfer out of a program (Wichita State) under a well regarded coach that has been very successful. That said if you use that data to project out Wood would be 100 to 1 odds to finish his career in Keaney Blue.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I mean I get the unsettling feeling by the fans of this program. But this is the new normal. Look at Wichita State which is a very good program and has a very good coach in Greg Marshall. They now have 7 transfers out of the program in last couple months. This is not a URI specific concern or trend. The back half of the roster is going to continually be a revolving door for the foreseeable future for most programs. This is why coaches will now shift to focusing heavily on the transfer portal to fill rosters as opposed to wasting time on incoming freshman that will be impatient and leave after a year. Transfer portal players will be where coaches will have to shift their focus especially a-10 level programs down.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

With the no penalty transfer rule likely soon to go into effect, you can expect to see even more. There will soon be more player stability in the pro ranks than college.
1 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Just because there's a single team worse than us with transfers doesn't mean that it's not a problem here. A lot of teams are losing one or two, we've lost a full team.
2 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

would really like to get DC opinion on this.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Okay so if we only lose long and add berry and the twins and lose no one else are we really freaking out. I understand it seems like tons of transfers are pouring out of our program but it is not just one program that has this problem. It is most. What was realistic expected minutes played for Mekhi next year anyways? Rotational bench player. If fatts or some of our big pieces start transferring out then we need to raise an eyebrow and be significantly concerned. But at this point every player that has left has been in that exact same role. Whether you like it or not this is the way it is going to be for the foreseeable future.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Looks like our school is the new one and done hot spot.
0 x
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

This is the problem when the parents hold the upper hand in their kids future. Instant gratification. Kids don’t want to develop the old fashioned way anymore. It’s pathetic. Benches across the country will have revolving doors. We will be an attractive destination for our recruits. Minutes available. I think we upgrade the roster.
5 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Okay so if we only lose long and add berry and the twins and lose no one else are we really freaking out. I understand it seems like tons of transfers are pouring out of our program but it is not just one program that has this problem. It is most. What was realistic expected minutes played for Mekhi next year anyways? Rotational bench player. If fatts or some of our big pieces start transferring out then we need to raise an eyebrow and be significantly concerned. But at this point every player that has left has been in that exact same role. Whether you like it or not this is the way it is going to be for the foreseeable future.
Yes, let’s ignore the obvious smoldering fire and not become concerned until it’s a full on inferno.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

How many players have transferred out of UConn in the past 12 months?
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago
sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Okay so if we only lose long and add berry and the twins and lose no one else are we really freaking out. I understand it seems like tons of transfers are pouring out of our program but it is not just one program that has this problem. It is most. What was realistic expected minutes played for Mekhi next year anyways? Rotational bench player. If fatts or some of our big pieces start transferring out then we need to raise an eyebrow and be significantly concerned. But at this point every player that has left has been in that exact same role. Whether you like it or not this is the way it is going to be for the foreseeable future.
Yes, let’s ignore the obvious smoldering fire and not become concerned until it’s a full on inferno.
Lmao you clearly do not follow college bball close enough.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Mekhi long is the reason this program is going down in flames?! Really? The same reason why one rotational bench player left will be the same reason why a transfer player from a higher level would love to take is position. Like get a grip. And do not assume we are bringing anyone in to replace them they will.
1 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Mekhi long is the reason this program is going down in flames?! Really? The same reason why one rotational bench player left will be the same reason why a transfer player from a higher level would love to take is position. Like get a grip. And do not assume we are bringing anyone in to replace them they will.
Are you being intentionally dense? No one is saying that. We played last year with open scholarships, where were the transfers in to fill those slots?
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago With the no penalty transfer rule likely soon to go into effect, you can expect to see even more. There will soon be more player stability in the pro ranks than college.
I think a lot of the activity we are seeing this year is based on the assumption that the rule will go into effect.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Mekhi long is the reason this program is going down in flames?! Really? The same reason why one rotational bench player left will be the same reason why a transfer player from a higher level would love to take is position. Like get a grip. And do not assume we are bringing anyone in to replace them they will.
Are you being intentionally dense? No one is saying that. We played last year with open scholarships, where were the transfers in to fill those slots?
You mean the unforeseen academic issue or the off the court issue that occurred with two players. Or the two freshman that were too impatient to get the minutes they deserved and develop. All of you guys are reacting like we have starting players pouring out the program. Cool yes Mekhi left i will lose no sleep over it. We brought in WALKER AND Sheppard last year. KI and stan in previous years. This is the way the roster will be developed moving forward. You guys can complain like 90 year old grumpy old men on your porch and be a negative nancy your whole life. But if we land berry and the twins i would be more then happy with 12 players on the roster and one spot to leave for a potential other transfer during year or wing over summer.
5 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

That's ridiculous.

If we dont get any of these transfers or recruits we are in on then I would be in your camp, otherwise whats happening does not indicate everything is going down in flames. If we get the twins and Berry then we automatically have a better roster next year.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

At least in troubled times like this we have some constants in life to keep us grounded, even if that constant is players leaving Cox' program as fast as they can.

The average school loses 2 players a year, we're at 10 in two years.

Ten of the 20 players Cox inherited or brought in have left early.

Keep telling yourself that everything is fine. Keep saying this happens everywhere. It doesn't. This is off the charts and coupled with our Baron like collapse down the stretch points to massive problems with the program
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago At least in troubled times like this we have some constants in life to keep us grounded, even if that constant is players leaving Cox' program as fast as they can.

Keep telling yourself that everything is fine. Keep saying this happens everywhere. It doesn't. This is off the charts and coupled with our Baron like collapse down the stretch points to massive problems with the program
.......care to identify those massive problems......?....help me understand
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago At least in troubled times like this we have some constants in life to keep us grounded, even if that constant is players leaving Cox' program as fast as they can.

Let’s try this one more time

Omar - left due to family death, be closer to home (stop gap/late recruit after Adams decommitted)
Hammond - left due to lack of PT
Long - left due to wanting more PT
Dana - was essentially administratively suspended indefinitely
Aris - practice player - swing and miss
Akele - left to play pro ball
Tertsea - now plays D2 ball
Mading - just ask a URI student why he’s no longer here.
Adams - wanted to play for Danny
Layssard - another administrative removal
Thompson- wanted to start and be closer to home

Who’d I miss?

I blame the staff for Aris. But then again, I don’t.

That’s it.

Any of these names impact our W/L?
Last edited by DC_Rams 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
8 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago Ok so with over 8 transfers no one thinks there is any problems with the program? There has to be something going on besides just the me now?

I do! This was happening at a high rate here prior to the rule change. You want to argue that some of these players aren’t great anyway and they wouldn’t have made a big difference? It sounds like a recruiting issue to me or relationships aren’t being built with the coaching staff. The environment around college basketball has changed, but would anyone be surprised if another player left? Not that we many left to leave
1 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Long and Tate can absolutely affect W/L. They may not be all world, but who are their replacements?
1 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Omar - left due to family death, be closer to home (stop gap/late recruit after Adams decommitted)

Who’d I miss?

That’s it.

So now you're making an argument that we're bad at recruiting? Why are we recruiting 10 people in 2 years that "won't make a difference?"
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Who’d I miss?

That’s it.

So now you're making an argument that we're bad at recruiting? Why are we recruiting 10 people in 2 years that "won't make a difference?"
This response makes no sense. Each player should be case by case. We haven’t lost any potential starters.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Adams, and possibly Long and Tate were potential starters. Adams next year or the year after unless Leggett or Wood surpassed them. Who knows where we are 2 or 3 years from now when Tate, then Long would have been seniors.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Adams, and possibly Long and Tate were potential starters. Adams next year or the year after unless Leggett or Wood surpassed them. Who knows where we are 2 or 3 years from now when Tate, then Long would have been seniors.
Agreed. Likely senior year.

Dana was seemingly forced out due to his behavioral issues.

I truly believe transfers in year 1 for any coach should be granted a mulligan. But, I know where having that argument will take many of you.

Would welcome a civil debate. We likely won’t agree, but I’m open to it.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Who’d I miss?

That’s it.

This response makes no sense. Each player should be case by case. We haven’t lost any potential starters.
I know defending Cox to the end is the way we go about it around here, but at what point is any of this his fault? We only lost a couple potential starters. It sounds like bad recruiting to me. David Cox is one of the nicest guys you will meet so are we not getting players that are the right fit for this program and want to stay and play for him. Yeah I saw each individual situation for the players that left, but cmon. If people want to say this is overblown that is fine, but just don’t complain when the team is struggling next year which they almost surely will with this current roster. I like Leggett and don’t see anything else coming in.
2 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Half of this board is going to be apoplectic when we see UConn make the tourney again while we keep cycling players. Clock is running. How much tolerance do we have if next year is a bad year?
1 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

I just don’t see us having a bad year next year. Roster isn’t complete yet and we still have very good returning talent. I would expect us to be very competitive next year.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

I know defending Cox to the end is the way we go about it around here, but at what point is any of this his fault? We only lost a couple potential starters. It sounds like bad recruiting to me. David Cox is one of the nicest guys you will meet so are we not getting players that are the right fit for this program and want to stay and play for him. Yeah I saw each individual situation for the players that left, but cmon. If people want to say this is overblown that is fine, but just don’t complain when the team is struggling next year which they almost surely will with this current roster. I like Leggett and don’t see anything else coming in.
I refuse to carry on a convo when this is the crux of every argument.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

It's definitely an issue. It's an issue all over cbb, but here it's happening more frequently than the program can handle, it's causing continuity issues. Cox shows great potential in many aspects of head coaching, but something is going on here causing too much turnover.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Unless Coach Cox promised kids they would start or play big minutes (doubt it) then this is not on him.
How about this for a new recruiting rule:
Only sign kids who don't have an AAU coach, parent or posse that is telling them they are a superstar and NBA bound.
You'd end up with ..... no one.

It used to be you'd have 1-2 ego issues on a team to deal with. Now you have 8-10. New normal.
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago Half of this board is going to be apoplectic when we see UConn make the tourney again while we keep cycling players. Clock is running. How much tolerance do we have if next year is a bad year?
Year 3 is the final year, need to make the tournament. I don’t care if we have another 5 transfers between now and the end of next year as long as we make the tournament. I feel confident it is possible with the returning talent, Sheppard, committed recruits, and potential transfers/recruits we are rumored to be possibly landing. Hurley didn’t leave the place in shambles but i agree year 1 is a pass with a coaching change and transfers are normal. We have a fair amount of transfer volume but it seems to be typical to see 2-3 transfer a year in most programs. Agree with DC’s stance on many of the transfers.
1 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I refuse to carry on a convo when this is the crux of every argument.
Honestly, only two things are going to stop that: 1) In the short term, get a few commitments to create some optimism and 2) In the longer term, make the tournament.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

T
Thompson- wanted to start and be closer to home

Who’d I miss?

That’s it.

The fact that we had worn out players down the stretch affected w/l, so pick 2 names. Yes, it did have an impact.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I see it more of an NCAA problem than a URI problem

Don’t look back the key is we have 4 open spots let’s fill those with an upgrade in talent
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Nobody answered my question. How many have transferred out of UConn in the past year or so?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just Alterique right ???
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Nobody answered my question. How many have transferred out of UConn in the past year or so?
You can’t compare a proven rebuilder in DH to a brand new HC. Kids were jumping to play for a proven commodity. As they should’ve. He’s a great coach.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Nobody answered my question. How many have transferred out of UConn in the past year or so?
Just Alterique Gilbert as a grad transfer. Everyone stayed and no one was pushed out after Ollie was fired. Wilson could be the second.

Some fans wanted Whaley to go, and it was suggested that another situation might be better for him. But, he stayed, got better, and was crucial to their end of season success. You never know how a player is going to develop.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x