March 15 1998

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

March 15 1998

Unread post by ramster »

22 years ago
March Madness
March 15th
8-seed URI Rams defeat 1-Seed Kansas. Kansas was 34-2 at the time URI beat them

From that team just this year I have seen 5 of the players on that team in the Ryan Center
Luther Clay
Preston Murphy
Tyson Wheeler
Cutting Mobley
Josh King

anybody seen any others?

Only 7 URI Rams saw minutes in that tremendous victory. Proves you don't need a lot of players.

In addition to those 5 were Antonio Reynolds-Dean and David Arigbabu

Murphy and Arigbabu came off the bench.

5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: March 15 1998

Unread post by ramster »

I have always liked this article from 2012 about Tyson Wheeler talking about that 1998 season

https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/wher ... sland-rams
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I can remember it well. Watched it at my former college roommate's place in Waltham. His then girlfriend could not understand the magnitude of that win and our excitement.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Could be our greatest ever win
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Definitely top 2.

The win in 88 against Syracuse being the other
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Has to be bigger than the Syracuse win. Wasn't Kansas the number one overall seed?

Also waiting on the full replay of this game!
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Could be our greatest ever win
It has to be the biggest win ever for URI. Best run and most exciting URI team of all time in my opinion. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Odom was eligible. Great team or too much talent with not enough balls to go around? One thing about Odom was that he was unselfish.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Kansas was a 1 seed. Other 1 seeds North Carolina, Duke and Arizona.

EDC832F6-7225-4ABA-AC1E-5171666E77D4.png
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Kansas was a 1 seed. Other 1 seeds North Carolina, Duke and Arizona.

Yeah, but were they the number one overall one seed?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

At that time they didn’t break it down by overall 1 seeds they were all the same I think ???
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Kansas was a 1 seed. Other 1 seeds North Carolina, Duke and Arizona.

Yeah, but were they the number one overall one seed?
The AP Ranking shows that at no time during the entire year was Kansas Ranked #1.
Kansas Ranking ranged from a high of #2 to a low of #5.

I don’t believe back in 1998 they ranked publicly the #1 seeds. That seems to me something that started more like in the last 10-15 years or so but I’m not sure. They likely ranked the #1 seeds but did not used to make that public to my recollection.

In the Week 18 Polll, which was the last Poll before the Tournament was to be played, North Carolina was #1 in both Polls and Kansas was #2 in both polls, So I’d say Kansas was #2.

2-seed Kentucky beat 3-seed Stanford
3-seed Utah beat 1-seed UNC
Championship Game: Kentucky beat Utah.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/se ... polls.html
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
reef wrote: 4 years ago Could be our greatest ever win
It has to be the biggest win ever for URI. Best run and most exciting URI team of all time in my opinion. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Odom was eligible. Great team or too much talent with not enough balls to go around? One thing about Odom was that he was unselfish.
Both were huge. '88 had URI as an 11 upsetting #6 Missouri followed by #3 Syracuse with Ronny Seikaly and Derrick Colemen (and the team that lost in the previous year's national championship by 2 vs. Indiana). That same team lost to Duke by a point in the Sweet 16.

1998 was an 8 seed, swamping Murray State in the first round, then upsetting # 1 seed Kansas, before beating fellow Cinderella Valpo in the Sweet 16.

Overall the win over Kansas is bigger, but the full body of work of 1988 might be a bit stronger, at least on paper as we played 3 P5 schools that year. 1998 we played two mid majors and 2 P5 schools.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

88 was special because back then the Big East was the best basketball conference in the country and we bitch slapped them all over the court.

both games should be considered 1 and 1A.
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

A great and momentous day-living outside Hartford the local channel did not carry the game. My oldest son was a junior at Brandeis, yes Rf1, Waltham, and invited me up. I really didn’t want to go figuring they would get killed. When we started the game with a dunk... After the game was over I went down to the dorm parking lot and let out the loudest primal scream I could manage. Little did I know that I would go from the highest high to the lowest low in a weeks time. Go rhody!
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

neil wrote: 4 years ago A great and momentous day-living outside Hartford the local channel did not carry the game. My oldest son was a junior at Brandeis, yes Rf1, Waltham, and invited me up. I really didn’t want to go figuring they would get killed. When we started the game with a dunk... After the game was over I went down to the dorm parking lot and let out the loudest primal scream I could manage. Little did I know that I would go from the highest high to the lowest low in a weeks time. Go rhody!
I was in Florida on business and watched the game on a black-and-white Sony Watchman that had a two-inch screen.

And Danny Ferry is a punk.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

That was Paul Pierce's last college game. I was at the Myriad for that game and sat next to Homer Drew and his wife after he coached the first game. Fun flight back to Green for Will Rogers in the middle of the night to be greeted by Almond. Memories.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Does anyone have the Kansas game? I would pay $$ to borrow it and put it on youtube.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago Does anyone have the Kansas game? I would pay $$ to borrow it and put it on youtube.
Same I have never seen it.. My white whale
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago Does anyone have the Kansas game? I would pay $$ to borrow it and put it on youtube.
I thought it was on Rhodysurf's link:

Full Game Replays

but it's not there. I know ATP several years ago got VHS copies of games and converted them to DVD for many of us. Does anyone have a way to get a copy (and also the Murray State game) to Rhodysurf so he can get it to YouTube? (Sorry surf if I'm creating work for you). My copies still haven't been unpacked from my recent move and I have no idea where they are.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

i still have the vhs tapes i lent ATP and i think i have the dvd somewhere. I wouldnt even begin to know how to get them onto youtube.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
I thought it was on Rhodysurf's link:

Full Game Replays

but it's not there. I know ATP several years ago got VHS copies of games and converted them to DVD for many of us. Does anyone have a way to get a copy (and also the Murray State game) to Rhodysurf so he can get it to YouTube? (Sorry surf if I'm creating work for you). My copies still haven't been unpacked from my recent move and I have no idea where they are.
If theres one goal in this quarantine we can try and accomplish it's to get the Kansas game the damn internet somewhere. Murray State too if possible.

NCAA March Madness youtube channel has been uploading games every day. Hopefully they will show the Kansas game.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'd like to see some videos from the late 70's teams. And I'm not talking full games, I'd just like to see a few clips. I've looked before and can't find a single one.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I still have a dvd of the Kansas game. But I thought it was up on Rhodysurf's site?
0 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I'd like to see some videos from the late 70's teams. And I'm not talking full games, I'd just like to see a few clips. I've looked before and can't find a single one.
I have clips of the URI/PC games from 1977 & 78 that are close to 30 minutes each. Happy to share or upload but would need help figuring out how to do it.

Billy - worst case scenario, I can burn them to a disk & mail it to you the old fashioned way.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I still have a dvd of the Kansas game. But I thought it was up on Rhodysurf's site?
He just has the Valpo and Stanford games.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Brian wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I'd like to see some videos from the late 70's teams. And I'm not talking full games, I'd just like to see a few clips. I've looked before and can't find a single one.
I have clips of the URI/PC games from 1977 & 78 that are close to 30 minutes each. Happy to share or upload but would need help figuring out how to do it.

Billy - worst case scenario, I can burn them to a disk & mail it to you the old fashioned way.
That would be awesome. I wouldn't have a clue how to do it either. Does anybody here have any advice?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

That would be awesome. I wouldn't have a clue how to do it either. Does anybody here have any advice?
You can google it!

I havent done it, but I'm sure if you put a DVD into your computer you will have the option to download it to your computer. Then you can put it into a file and send it to someone.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

On a national level the win over Kansas was a great win for Rhody......

....for me personally.....the win over Syracuse in the Dean Dome was tops....because it came against the cream of the hated big east....I run into many more big east fans in one day than I run into Kansas fans in a decade....and the big east fans are difficult to deal with....because if it isn't the big east they don't respect anyone else....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Bitter sweet memory - brings back the last minute of the Stanford game and the fact we were that last minute away from the final four. But what a team and back court. 78/88/98 brings back great memories.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That dam Arthur Lee and Madsen killed us in that last minute
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 4 years ago That dam Arthur Lee and Madsen killed us in that last minute
Sad and happy I didnt experience that elite 8 run.

A reminder that this program can get to the top of the mountain.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 4 years ago That dam Arthur Lee and Madsen killed us in that last minute
22 years later and Mobley was still fouled. Everyone other than the 3 refs knew Stanford was trying to purposely foul Mobley in that situation!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

To get to the top of that mountain you need some balls. It took huge balls bringing in Harrick. And i am glad they did. Wont get into 4/1/1999 again. My head still hurts.

The other thing you had was a ton of talent. Al's players but Harrick knew the right buttons to push. 3 tough top guards and just enough talent inside to be complimentary. Remember Luther Clay was a transfer, from Purdue. As a HS senior he was a top 20 player and a McDonalds All american.

Perfect storm.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago

To get to the top of that mountain you need some balls. It took huge balls bringing in Harrick. And i am glad they did. Wont get into 4/1/1999 again. My head still hurts.

The other thing you had was a ton of talent. Al's players but Harrick knew the right buttons to push. 3 tough top guards and just enough talent inside to be complimentary. Remember Luther Clay was a transfer, from Purdue. As a HS senior he was a top 20 player and a McDonalds All american.

Perfect storm.
Wasn't it possible to have Lamar Odom play? We were just being cautious by sitting him right? Or was in ineligible?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago

Perfect storm.
Wasn't it possible to have Lamar Odom play? We were just being cautious by sitting him right? Or was in ineligible?
Lamar was Prop 48. Ineligible.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

My recollection was that Carothers intervened and URI never officially sought Lamar's eligibility. There was a question whether someone took Lamar's SATs for him. Carother's personally interviewed Lamar and had him write a brief essay for him that he said deserved a passing grade. Somehow B- sticks in my mind.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Where can I find a replay of the entire Kansas game?
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

You can google it!

I havent done it, but I'm sure if you put a DVD into your computer you will have the option to download it to your computer. Then you can put it into a file and send it to someone.
I have Kansas and I'm pretty sure I have Murray State, but if I do it's pretty rough. I'll see what I can do
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago

You can google it!

I have Kansas and I'm pretty sure I have Murray State, but if I do it's pretty rough. I'll see what I can do
Sweet
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Should be 30 copies or more of the Kansas game DVD among KeaneyBlue members.

Someone should mail their copy to RhodySurf. I let someone borrow my set of Rhody dvds but the Kansas game didn’t come back.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
steviep123
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago Should be 30 copies or more of the Kansas game DVD among KeaneyBlue members.

Someone should mail their copy to RhodySurf. I let someone borrow my set of Rhody dvds but the Kansas game didn’t come back.
What (I assume) former friend would be that mean?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Bump
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'll send RhodySurf my copy if he pm's me info. We should have it up online so everyone can enjoy it. Watching that game on tv was amazing. Being in grad school there was no way I could make it live.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I need to watch that. Just rewatched the Oklahoma game. Images of of URI defeating Trey Young will be remembered forever, similar to Paul Pierce at Kansas (different scenario I know) but still special.
1 x
GO RAMS
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would love to see those URI PC battles from the late 70s !!
0 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

one of the greatest moments ive seen as a sports fan. ill remember that feeling for the rest of my life. that right there is why im here and why i love college basketball
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Just watched it again. The alley oops in the first half and Tyson/Mobley just unconscious in the second. Cat played Pierce all game and gave him fits.
1 x