'20 NY PF Abou Ousmane (North Texas ---> Xavier)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: '20 NY PF Abou Ousmane

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Not surprised at all.

He had the twins, JH and Walker ahead of him.

He may not have gotten significant playing time until he was a junior.
Totally agree with this. Sad to see the kid go, was excited to have him. But he had a lot of guys ahead of him. Some kids just don’t want to battle for minutes.
I couldnt really see a way everybody could play without causing someone to want to leave. Let alone finding continuity with 5 bigs.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I liked what I saw but it’s ok. I really think that Cox can just find good players to play for him. The front court is just so stacked that there wasn’t immediate room for him.

We need a wing or a cg that can contribute. URI and Cox are due for a run.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago I liked what I saw but it’s ok. I really think that Cox can just find good players to play for him. The front court is just so stacked that there wasn’t immediate room for him.

We need a wing or a cg that can contribute. URI and Cox are due for a run.
I like The Twins and Harris to rotate between the forward and center spot. Not a big fan of the undersized Walker. He is a bad defender and really isn’t a power forward. They really could use another big, although I’m sure they will play Walker behind Harris. There is absolutely no room for Walker at the small forward spot with Toppin and Martin.
1 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I think Walker is a pretty good rebounder for the time he is out there. I also like his shooting touch. Fewer turnovers would be good though.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Roz wrote: 4 years ago I think Walker is a pretty good rebounder for the time he is out there. I also like his shooting touch. Fewer turnovers would be good though.
Yeah I think Walker is good. Struggled a little late, but who didnt? He had a lot of good moments out there for us. Just a sophomore last year. He has loads of potential. He could be good for matchups. Sometimes the twins or JH may not be quick enough to guard guys like Antwan can.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree there wasn’t much PT for Abou this coming year

Maybe we can find a decent grad transfer
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Everyone keeps saying there wasn’t enough playing time for Ousmane, but than we talk about going out and getting another big or grad student. What is the difference? Is there more playing time available now if we do that?
3 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

bonnies offered quickly.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Everyone keeps saying there wasn’t enough playing time for Ousmane, but than we talk about going out and getting another big or grad student. What is the difference? Is there more playing time available now if we do that?
Well, I think the hope is that you find a player that's "comfortable" or OK with the idea of being a development big man or project that won't play right away. I'm not really sure who that player is, because typically if you're 6'8"+ and can walk in a straight line, some program will give you minutes.
0 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Does anyone know if the coaching staff told him he would be red shirted because of the front court depth and that made him decide to leave?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I'm sure the staff explained to Ousmane their plans. Something like, "we want you to be part of a team that will include you with the twins playing down low. Obviously you all won't be in the game at the same time, but you will all get your chances to earn minutes. In a couple of seasons after Harris and the twins graduate, you will have a great chance to be the man for your junior and senior season, along with Leggett and Wood feeding you." Obviously I'm speculating but if they laid out their plans to him and similar fashion, then he agreed and then changed his mind for some reason. We'll probably never know. I'm disappointed, but it is what it is.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

The problem is there wasn’t really much PT for him until his Junior year, unless the transfer does not pass or the twins don’t get a waiver (which I think is a possibility even if the transfer rule does not change). The grad transfer is the back-up plan to the twins not being eligible. Right now we have Jermaine and Antwan who we know the floor of what we will get which is a 20 min per game player that is right now better than Abou, the twins who one is at least a 20 min player on the team and the other still is probably ahead of Abou. We also have toppin who will play the 3/4 role.

I think Abou was a really good prospect and will be a player somewhere. Maybe he goes somewhere and plays for a couple years and transfers here when the minutes are more available.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

AGITA

i hate these new rules and all this transferring

what ever happened to the days where you had a player for 4 years

my goodness
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This news sucks. Getting tough to continue to like college basketball these days.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Agree there wasn’t much PT for Abou this coming year

Maybe we can find a decent grad transfer
His concern was that the Mitchells are only Soph. They would be there 3 out of his 4 years.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Doesn't show much faith in his own abilities. Throwing in the towel before even playing with/against them in practice. If the new rule happens he could have played out the year and then left if the writing was on the wall and not have to sit out.
Last edited by RIFan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

This board is funny, everytime a recruit we're involved with chooses a P5, "What is he thinking?, they're just going to recruit over him, doesn't he want to play?, bad people must be in his ear."
But everytime a player doesn't want to be part of a crowded position here, "I guess he doesn't believe himself, young people just don't want to compete anymore, bad people must be in his ear."
10 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Both are true.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Every school is constantly recruiting for each position. If you don't have competition now, you most likely will at some point...more so at the top programs. So might as well have faith in your abilities...BTW, I never blame a kid for going to the best program he can and giving it a try.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago This board is funny, everytime a recruit we're involved with chooses a P5, "What is he thinking?, they're just going to recruit over him, doesn't he want to play?, bad people must be in his ear."
But everytime a player doesn't want to be part of a crowded position here, "I guess he doesn't believe himself, young people just don't want to compete anymore, bad people must be in his ear."
This is so true.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

It’s very true, yet, ironically accurate.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago It’s very true, yet, ironically accurate.
You have to admit every time a player leaves URI we talk about how they wouldn’t have played anyway, the mistake they made and how we will replace them easily or how they aren’t a big loss. We even did this with Martin. Now if we get a Murray we can say that we replaced Tyrese and it won’t be a big issue.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago It’s very true, yet, ironically accurate.
You have to admit every time a player leaves URI we talk about how they wouldn’t have played anyway, the mistake they made and how we will replace them easily or how they aren’t a big loss. We even did this with Martin. Now if we get a Murray we can say that we replaced Tyrese and it won’t be a big issue.
I don’t do that unless they really aren’t a loss. Martin still hurts. Murray will make it all better for me though.

I honestly don’t miss any of our transfers or dismissals other than CT and Martin.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Didn't Abou or someone close to him state that the commitment of the twins is the reason for the de-commit? So how is that not to be interpreted that he didn't want to accept the challenge and compete for playing time? He basically said it. Sometimes we speculate why someone made the decision they did, but this time we know. Doesn't competition make everyone better and by extension the team better?
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

The loss of Tyrese is definitely going to hurt.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RIFan wrote: 4 years ago Didn't Abou or someone close to him state that the commitment of the twins is the reason for the de-commit? So how is that not to be interpreted that he didn't want to accept the challenge and compete for playing time? He basically said it. Sometimes we speculate why someone made the decision they did, but this time we know. Doesn't competition make everyone better and by extension the team better?
Kids are self serving these days. It annoys me to no end when kids post their highlights/stats in losing efforts.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Wow on North Texas.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Wow on North Texas.
Why? Seems like a place where he will get immediate playing time that he can showcase to other schools for a transfer up with no waiting period. No long term implications. College basketball is now a year to year enterprise.

The college game as we once knew it is being killed off and fast losing my interest.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
Why? Seems like a place where he will get immediate playing time that he can showcase to other schools for a transfer up with no waiting period. No long term implications. College basketball is now a year to year enterprise.

The college game as we once knew it is being killed off and fast losing my interest.
He never has visited the UNT Campus. Connection with coaching staff there.

2-star

UNT about right. Let’s see how he does there.

https://www.usbasket.com/NCAA1/news/625 ... ou-Ousmane
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Re: '20 NY PF Abou Ousmane (North Texas)

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I think this is the bigger loss, literally and figuratively, than Berry.

Big men are harder to evaluate than guards and wings. This kid had the potential to be a real banger in this league. I'm just glad he didn't go to St. Louis, St. Bonny, VCU or UMass, is about the only silver lining here.

But what are you going to do, we went with the Twins, and if you are smart, you keep the twins happy. That means, not being an idiot like the Maryland coach and make them dorm in separate rooms, just for the hey of it. And don't over recruit their position so that they slide down the bench, mid season.

Hopefully, we can score an "Ousmane" like player either next year or the year after, but as you know, they don't exactly grow on trees.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Not sure it’s worth anything, but i noticed David Cox never liked any of the news on Abou’s commitment on Twitter.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I think this is the bigger loss, literally and figuratively, than Berry.

Big men are harder to evaluate than guards and wings. This kid had the potential to be a real banger in this league. I'm just glad he didn't go to St. Louis, St. Bonny, VCU or UMass, is about the only silver lining here.

But what are you going to do, we went with the Twins, and if you are smart, you keep the twins happy. That means, not being an idiot like the Maryland coach and make them dorm in separate rooms, just for the hey of it. And don't over recruit their position so that they slide down the bench, mid season.

Hopefully, we can score an "Ousmane" like player either next year or the year after, but as you know, they don't exactly grow on trees.
There playing time did not go down at mid-season. They were not getting a lot of playing time from the start; sure Turgeon does not know what he is doing!!! we took a chance on the twins, there are certainly questions about their non basketball actions and family.
Hope like hell it works out, and hope our coaching staff becomes as good as Maryland's.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago I think this is the bigger loss, literally and figuratively, than Berry.

We are going to need another big for next year in the worst way if the Mitchell twins are not eligible next year. Ousmane had the possibility of playing a lot this upcoming season or basically being better off being a redshirt. I can see it being a tough sell for the coaching staff but it could work out for a big who really wants to attend URI and is flexible.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

I can see it being a tough sell for the coaching staff but it could work out for a big who really wants to attend URI and is flexible.

The only type of big that fits this category is a "project" and if the twins aren't eligible a Project isn't going to help us next year. So this is a very difficult situation. A grad transfer big would make the most sense if the Twins aren't eligible, but no sense to a player if they are. The
NCaa-holes need to get off there asses and make a ruling on the transfer rule!!
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

The NCAA slow waking the rule change is messing it up for us - I think the strategy now has to be grad transfer guard(s) who can be sold on PT either way. Transfer Rule passes - probably better then freshmen guards and there will be time available because we lost 75 minutes of the 2/3 spots. Transfer Rule doesn’t pass - we play small tons of PT available.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

2-star

UNT about right. Let’s see how he does there.

Ramster, I still wouldn't have minded if he stuck with URI, can't have enough good bigs and still has 4 years of eligibility.

"Ousmane's Big Game Leads UNT To 69-65 Win."
"The Mean Green big man scored a career-high 22 points and had a career-high 11 rebounds to lead UNT to the four-point win and improve the team's conference record to 3-1."
https://meangreensports.com/news/2022/1 ... 69-65.aspx

He has started all 15 games for North Texas, also just scored 10 points (5-10) against Western Kentucky.
Season stats- 9.4 pts/ 5.5 rebs. Remember still very young, same class as Ish.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

2-star

UNT about right. Let's see how he does there.

Ramster, I still wouldn't have minded if he stuck with URI, can't have enough good bigs and still has 4 years of eligibility.

"The Mean Green big man scored a career-high 22 points and had a career-high 11 rebounds to lead UNT to the four-point win and improve the team's conference record to 3-1."

He has started all 15 games for North Texas, also just scored 10 points (5-10) against Western Kentucky.
Ya, but if Walker can't get minutes he deserves this kid would be screwed. He was better off getting minutes somewhere else.. It's the twin's show the next few seasons and we likely won't have many talented bigs coming in until they know they have a shot at a decent role..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

2-star

UNT about right. Let's see how he does there.

Ya, but if Walker can't get minutes he deserves this kid would be screwed. He was better off getting minutes somewhere else.. It's the twin's show the next few seasons and we likely won't have many talented bigs coming in until they know they have a shot at a decent role..
Yes, I know and figured when we got the twins, he would decommit and move on.
Walker will probably leave after this season, and it would have been nice to have him.
I am sure he wanted immediate playing time, so don't blame him.
Still probably a big upgrade over Ileri, who we ended up with.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Walker will probably leave after this season, and it would have been nice to have him.
Pretty sure someone here said in the summer said that Illeri, after watching a workout video, reminded them of former A10 ROY, POTY, 2 time All A10, and first round pick DeAndre Bembry.

That one gave me a laugh. Just another example of over hyping our players.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Pretty sure someone here said in the summer said that Illeri, after watching a workout video, reminded them of former A10 ROY, POTY, 2 time All A10, and first round pick DeAndre Bembry.

That one gave me a laugh. Just another example of over hyping our players.
Happens on the regular. See: "we really have 8 starters"
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: '20 NY PF Abou Ousmane (URI Commit)

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Ousmane goes for 37p and 11r in 1st Conference USA game
Decommitted URI when twins committed :cry: :cry:

SAN ANTONIO — North Texas men's basketball junior forward Abou Ousmane scored a career-high 37 points and grabbed 11 rebounds Thursday night to lead the Mean Green to a 78-54 Conference USA opening victory over UTSA at the Convocation Center.
Ousmane dropped 37 points on an efficient 15-of-19 shooting. It is the most points scored in a single game by a UNT player since Roosevelt Smart scored 42 at Rice on Jan. 13, 2018.
"Give UTSA credit, because they kept us off balance early," said UNT head coach Grant McCasland. "We traded punches with them early in the second half but settled in defensively and got some separation. But Abou was phenomenal."
Ousmane's 37-point performance surpassed his previous career-high of 23 and is tied for the 18th most points scored in a game by a UNT player.
"We were way more efficient tonight and Abou made the simple play and had about as good of a performance as we've ever had from the forward position," McCasland added.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: '20 NY PF Abou Ousmane (URI Commit)

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Ousmane goes for 37p and 11r in 1st Conference USA game
Decommitted URI when twins committed :cry: :cry:

SAN ANTONIO — North Texas men's basketball junior forward Abou Ousmane scored a career-high 37 points and grabbed 11 rebounds Thursday night to lead the Mean Green to a 78-54 Conference USA opening victory over UTSA at the Convocation Center.
Ousmane dropped 37 points on an efficient 15-of-19 shooting. It is the most points scored in a single game by a UNT player since Roosevelt Smart scored 42 at Rice on Jan. 13, 2018.
"Give UTSA credit, because they kept us off balance early," said UNT head coach Grant McCasland. "We traded punches with them early in the second half but settled in defensively and got some separation. But Abou was phenomenal."
Ousmane's 37-point performance surpassed his previous career-high of 23 and is tied for the 18th most points scored in a game by a UNT player.
"We were way more efficient tonight and Abou made the simple play and had about as good of a performance as we've ever had from the forward position," McCasland added.
Not a bad night's work for Ousmane.
He is currently better than any big on our roster.
I was always disappointed when he decommitted but couldn't blame him.
He found a good landing spot at North Texas; they have been a strong program at C-USA.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

In hindsight too bad the Mitchell’s came here as Ousmane would probably still be here oh well
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Abou Ousmane has entered the Portal
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Now HE would be a great pickup!
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

How many years does he have left? Power Forward City. Population: Abou
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago How many years does he have left? Power Forward City. Population: Abou
2 years of eligibility left including the Covid year. Might be following McCastland to Texas Tech.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Cox just had to go for the twins. This is the one that got away.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Agree that he would be a good pickup and would do some damage in the A10, as well.

Out of curiosity, if anyone here has been following transfers closely, how many transfers from conf’s similar to the A10 (say, in the 11-15 net rated conf’s ) make lateral conf moves vs going P5/P6 ?

To clarify, I am talking starter level players transferring in my question above.
0 x