URI Shutting Down for COVID-19

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: URI Shutting Down for COVID-19

Unread post by RF1 »

Stay away from the Plains Road parking lots if you can. URI is now one of the RI Covid-19 virus test sites. They have set up a drive through with tents.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

So, basically, anything from an A to a C- is the same. Please sign me up for that at work this year. 8-)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What a difference a month makes.....

0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I hate this
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

On a bright side, Matunuck Oyster Bar is open and we will be having a very nice Easter dinner at home. Didn't feel like cooking, and what's better than MOB?????
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago On a bright side, Matunuck Oyster Bar is open and we will be having a very nice Easter dinner at home. Didn't feel like cooking, and what's better than MOB?????
ENJOY! Have been marinating a roast since yesterday and throwing it on the grill shortly.
Cooking is one of those things helping me get through this...have grilled every day this month, 'cept for Thursday (pasta).
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago On a bright side, Matunuck Oyster Bar is open and we will be having a very nice Easter dinner at home. Didn't feel like cooking, and what's better than MOB?????
ENJOY! Have been marinating a roast since yesterday and throwing it on the grill shortly.
Cooking is one of those things helping me get through this...have grilled every day this month, 'cept for Thursday (pasta).
Thanks. I have to say MOB out did themselves. It was beyond fantastic. My kids said it was the best Easter Sunday meal ever. I agree with them. Happy Easter to you and your family!!!!
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Thanks. I have to say MOB out did themselves. It was beyond fantastic. My kids said it was the best Easter Sunday meal ever. I agree with them. Happy Easter to you and your family!!!!

The Blackened Tuna is one of my favorite entrees. Can do no wrong with that one.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Thought this was a great Covid stay at home video. Curt Smith of Tears for Fears and his daughter singing Mad World a couple days ago. Didn't know where else to post it. I really liked it.

1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Impact of Covid-19 on the future Colleges and Universities

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nyu- ... 41903.html
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

It may accelerate the closing of small Schools. https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/20/ ... -colleges/
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The Kaulls recovering from Covid 19: https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... their-feet
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago The Kaulls recovering from Covid 19: https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... their-feet
Good to hear that they are recovering
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

They are not sure where they caught it
Mentions UMASS road game, getting ready for A10 Tournament.
Shows how prevalent Covid was back in February and early March

NCAA and all sports did the right thing in cancelling.

I never guessed Covid was a risk in attending the UMASS game. Nobody did.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Student from Rhode Island attending Brown files Class Action suit for closing the campus early. Of course if Brown had remained open I’m sure Class Action suits would have also been filed

https://www.providencejournal.com/news/ ... us-closing
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Student from Rhode Island attending Brown files Class Action suit for closing the campus early. Of course if Brown had remained open I’m sure Class Action suits would have also been filed

https://www.providencejournal.com/news/ ... us-closing
I actually agree with this lawsuit. The lawsuit isn't because they closed early. It's because they closed and gave an insufficient return of tuition, room & board, or fee reimbursement. We don't know if what they returned was actually sufficient or not, but at least fighting for that makes a little more sense then people who are suing because they simply couldn't go to school anymore.
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

For what it's worth, our CEO told us that unless something significantly changes, she doesn't expect to open our offices until July at the earliest. Most of our offices are in Mass, with one in Atlanta, and another outside Minneapolis.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Saw this today,

https://www.necn.com/news/coronavirus/r ... r/2269042/

...and thought, hmm...how much different will that be from right now?

And sure enough, just a couple lines in:

"What's it going to look like? Not very different than it looks right now," Raimondo said.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Surprised? Morons.

0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

You have to figure it's only a matter of time until every school is presented a similar suit...

https://turnto10.com/news/local/student ... s-outbreak

"The lawsuit said that he and his classmates were "deprived" from benefits of in-person instruction, access to campus facilities, student facilities and other benefits.

"[The University of Rhode Island] has either refused to provide reimbursement for the tuition, fees and other costs that Defendant is no longer providing," noted the lawsuit."
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Schools will have to refund at least portions of the tuition money they have already received.

I'm sure URI will do so, if they haven't started doing so already.

Other schools have already done so, or will.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago You have to figure it's only a matter of time until every school is presented a similar suit...

"The lawsuit said that he and his classmates were "deprived" from benefits of in-person instruction, access to campus facilities, student facilities and other benefits.

"[The University of Rhode Island] has either refused to provide reimbursement for the tuition, fees and other costs that Defendant is no longer providing," noted the lawsuit."
But he still gets his degree?
Just the kind of kid I want to have represent URI as an Alumnus (sic)

If the School had stayed open when all other schools had closed then they would be hit with Lawsuits too.

Can't win. I wouldn't give the kid a dime. Email his diploma.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago You have to figure it's only a matter of time until every school is presented a similar suit...

But he still gets his degree?
Just the kind of kid I want to have represent URI as an Alumnus.

If the School had stayed open when all other schools had closed then they would be hit with Lawsuits too.

Can't win. I wouldn't give the kid a dime. Email his diploma.
The kid is not suggesting that URI stay open during the Pandemic. He's simply suggesting that while being home, many things he's paid fees for, including rec centers, labs, etc. he has not been able to use and therefore should receive reimbursement for that. Same would be true of room and board.

If room and board is approximately $6,250 per semester, and you only live on campus for half a semester, I would think you should receive $3125 no questions asked. I do think some of the asks are nickle-dimers, like fighting about student service fees means fighting about $544 per semester or $272 for half a semester.

But I also don't disagree with the students of these schools that they shouldn't be paying the school as if it's been an open-campus for the last 3 months. I think a lot of these schools are going through the same debates.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Classes will be on campus stating this Fall. Masks required.
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Classes will be on campus stating this Fall. Masks required.
All in person classes will end at Thanksgiving Break. The remainder of the Fall semester will be online. Students will not return to campus until 2nd semester.

URI will reduce the density/capacity of its residence halls on the Kingston Campus. On-campus housing accommodations will be modified to better ensure the health and well-being of students and the entire community for the fall 2020 semester. This will result in a reduction of housing capacity from a planned 6,200 spaces to approximately 4,400 spaces.

Meal plan food services will initially only be takeout.

Classes will not meet in person as frequently as the past. As many classes as possible are being scheduled in the larger spaces which they do not have enough of to hold the normal schedule of all classes. This will mean less meetings. This was not in the public announcement but was part of an internal message sent out to instructors.

https://web.uri.edu/coronavirus/2020/06 ... ing-plans/
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

How do you reduce on campus living? Lol. Students forced to commute? How do you select who lives on campus and who doesn’t. Is down the line the same?
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago How do you reduce on campus living? Lol. Students forced to commute? How do you select who lives on campus and who doesn’t. Is down the line the same?
In the early ‘70s there was a real shortage of on campus housing. Some freshmen were forced to commute until their rooms became available. I believe those whose home address was closest to campus. I know some Westerly students had to commute.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago How do you reduce on campus living? Lol. Students forced to commute? How do you select who lives on campus and who doesn’t. Is down the line the same?
In the early ‘70s there was a real shortage of on campus housing. Some freshmen were forced to commute until their rooms became available. I believe those whose home address was closest to campus. I know some Westerly students had to commute.
I'd rather school from home
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago
I'd rather school from home
Seems like the smart idea now. Too much risk putting kids back in classrooms.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Boy I feel bad for students if they have to do more virtual learning. No way their education isn’t suffering.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Just fill all the rooms. Let all he college students get the Covid-19. They all then can't spread it anymore when they return home for the Holidays.

Fill the Football Stadium with Students. Herd immunity.

There is no stopping this thing now, the cats are out of the bag and they are not wearing masks.

Keep 60 and over people away from the young people. Let the herd immunity do it's thing
1 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Just fill all the rooms. Let all he college students get the Covid-19. They all then can't spread it anymore when they return home for the Holidays.

Fill the Football Stadium with Students. Herd immunity.

There is no stopping this thing now, the cats are out of the bag and they are not wearing masks.

Keep 60 and over people away from the young people. Let the herd immunity do it's thing
There is no guarantee of herd immunity working. Multiple studies are showing that the antibodies are lasting much shorter than expected; up to a few months.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

The below from a Seton Hall staff member was an interesting thread on the public and lower income private schools knowing tough decisions have to be made which can hurt them economically, but not wanting to be the first to publicly announce the drastic changes this fall. Part of the reason being, will they end up losing students to schools who are being more aggressive (foolhardy?) in welcoming students back on campus. But this is the month that the plans have to be finalized if you are going to be prepared for start of semester.

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Local students scramble after URI announces it won’t house Rhode Islanders during the coming term

Unread post by RF1 »

This is certain not to go down well in the state:

Local students scramble after URI announces it won’t house Rhode Islanders during the coming term
https://www.providencejournal.com/news/ ... oming-term
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

UMass reverses plan-few students

Unread post by RF1 »

UMass Amherst reverses plan for fall; most students not invited back to campus
https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus ... -to-campus
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Been frequently walking the URI campus.

I’ll say this - kudos from me to facilities really getting after it during this covid19 down time. The campus overall looks better right now than I’ve ever seen it. Also the massive transformation of campus with completed construction and upgraded facilities is so impressive.

IMHO any KBers that haven’t strolled the campus recently should do so if they can. I think you’ll be blown away.

Even the Fine Arts building project is looking great.
If y’all get a chance take a stroll.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

David Dooley will certainly be missed. He was the right man for the job after Carothers almost killed this school.
1 x