URI Shutting Down for COVID-19

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

URI Shutting Down for COVID-19

Unread post by RF1 »

Screenshot_2020-03-11 Important URI COVID-19 Updates.png
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Re: URI Shutting Down for COVID-19

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Its real dumb that they arent letting the high school hockey finals have fans IMO
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Everyone is jumping on board now.

So in a month or two when it's still going on/possibly worse, is everything still going to be shut down? This could get ugly.

Also, if my daughter's school shuts down, do we get a partial refund on room and board?
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

RI_Bred wrote: 4 years ago Everyone is jumping on board now.

So in a month or two when it's still going on/possibly worse, is everything still going to be shut down? This could get ugly.

Also, if my daughter's school shuts down, do we get a partial refund on room and board?
RIBRed

my question exactly, how much are these schools giving back in a refund for room and board
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Be advised that the store shelves are starting to empty. I was just at a Dollar Store. The person in front of me had two carriages full of nothing but cleaning supplies. Spent about 100 dollars on some ten gallons of bleach, 20 some odd containers of disinfectant wipes, many bottles of Lysol concentrate detergent, hand soap, etc. I asked if it was for a business and this person said it was for personal use saying he had a big family. I was skeptical.

Then went to Walmart, Its cleaning supplies aisle was nearly empty. It had very little hand soap in its beauty aids dept. Food shelves were not full. Canned goods where the soup is stocked was especially very low on inventory.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago
RI_Bred wrote: 4 years ago Everyone is jumping on board now.

RIBRed

my question exactly, how much are these schools giving back in a refund for room and board
this might be helpful, hopefully your kids schools are in the process of doing this

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/ ... us-housing
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Would have to think schools will have to refund a prorated room and board. Tuition and other fees are another matter since studies will continue remotely. There may however be arguments that on line instruction is not of the same quality as in person and it should not have the same cost.
1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Would have to think schools will have to refund a prorated room and board. Tuition and other fees are another matter since studies will continue remotely. There may however be arguments that on line instruction is not of the same quality as in person and it should not have the same cost.
Rhode Island will not refund room costs. It looks like they are planning on maybe having students back on campus on April 4th. I think it is quite ridiculous that they will not, but here it is right from their website:

On Campus Housing

URI is committed to maintaining our daily operations and completing the semester. Therefore the residence halls will remain open and operational. Students living in undergraduate residence halls should delay their return to campus through April 3. The University understands that remaining at home may not be possible or prudent for everyone.

We request all resident students who anticipate needing housing to complete a “Statement of Intent” about their plans between now and April 3. This will ensure continued access to their room and allow us to plan for services for those living on-campus. The Statement of Intent form will be available via MyHousing (e-campus) under “Applications/Forms.” If you do return, access to university functions such as dining, recreation, health services will be available but limited.

As the residence halls will continue to be available, whether students choose to use them or not, no refunds will be issued.

Graduate student housing will continue to operate as normal with similar anticipated limited access to services listed above.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Eastward Look will be the grandest shitshow from now until April 3.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago Eastward Look will be the grandest shitshow from now until April 3.
.........how will we notice the difference......? ;)
Last edited by section(105) 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Be advised that the store shelves are starting to empty. I was just at a Dollar Store. The person in front of me had two carriages full of nothing but cleaning supplies. Spent about 100 dollars on some ten gallons of bleach, 20 some odd containers of disinfectant wipes, many bottles of Lysol concentrate detergent, hand soap, etc. I asked if it was for a business and this person said it was for personal use saying he had a big family. I was skeptical.

Then went to Walmart, Its cleaning supplies isle was nearly empty. It had very little hand soap in its beauty aids dept. Food shelves were not full. Canned goods where the soup is stocked was especially very low on inventory.
So what now? Everyone stays at home with their sanitizer and soap in the basement and eats pasta and soup? How about some solutions other than causing complete panic for everyone. I guess with every event cancelled no one should be at work at the stores either.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago Eastward Look will be the grandest shitshow from now until April 3.
.........how we notice the difference......? ;)
:lol: Currently a shitshow but headed towards the biggest one of all time.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It will be the NCAAT that no one ever saw.
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

This is all nuts . There are corporations with thousands of employees , but they continue to go to work . Will all Malls be closed next ? and if not,
why not ? What is the difference .This is mass hysteria being flamed by the politicians and the media. no one should ever go to work or leave their
homes again because 30, 000 die in the US from the flu each year . we have to stop the flu and pneumonia and every other illness that causes
large numbers of deaths every year so shut down the country . Meanwhile the conference tournaments continue on with fans in attendance . I hope somebody finally comes to his senses and stops the hysteria . I think the hysteria is likely to do more harm than the virus to this country. Leadership is
sorely lacking .
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

luke wrote: 4 years ago This is all nuts . There are corporations with thousands of employees , but they continue to go to work . Will all Malls be closed next ? and if not,
why not ? What is the difference .This is mass hysteria being flamed by the politicians and the media. no one should ever go to work or leave their
homes again because 30, 000 die in the US from the flu each year . we have to stop the flu and pneumonia and every other illness that causes
large numbers of deaths every year so shut down the country . Meanwhile the conference tournaments continue on with fans in attendance . I hope somebody finally comes to his senses and stops the hysteria . I think the hysteria is likely to do more harm than the virus to this country. Leadership is
sorely lacking .
It’s really bad- not everyone has jobs that even allow remote work. Burn through all the vacation time (is you even have that these days), or not get paid?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

luke wrote: 4 years ago This is all nuts . There are corporations with thousands of employees , but they continue to go to work . Will all Malls be closed next ? and if not,
sorely lacking .
Sadly Luke the hysteria has already done more damage. I got out of the market at Dow 26,700. Cause I knew this is where it was going. It's a glorified flu and 100,000 have it. Get that. 100,000. Worldwide. 1,100 in the US out of 350 million people. Insane.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This whole time I had no idea our little message board was made up of nothing but infectious disease experts! Quite the impressive group! :lol:
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago This whole time I had no idea our little message board was made up of nothing but infectious disease experts! Quite the impressive group! :lol:
Adam, my calculator isn't working right. Can you give me the percent of 100,000 people out of 7,700,000,000? I'm sure it's pretty small. But they call a pandemic and cancel parades because of it.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago This whole time I had no idea our little message board was made up of nothing but infectious disease experts! Quite the impressive group! :lol:
Adam, my calculator isn't working right. Can you give me the percent of 100,000 people out of 7,700,000,000? I'm sure it's pretty small. But they call a pandemic and cancel parades because of it.
No I can't.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
No I can't.
Why not? Your calculator can't go that small either?
0 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

You would think they did this months ago based on our student turnouts at games.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago

No I can't.
Why not? Your calculator can't go that small either?
Right.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I work for a Bank in NYC. They banned all non-NY personnel from the office a week ago. Other companies have done it. Google, Amazon, etc. More to come...

Also, I’m not the expert on this but I believe a pandemic is declared not based on percentage of infected, but once the infected crossover certain geographic regions (ie. continent to continent).

Weird times...
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
theblueram
Frank Keaney

sell your stocks now!!!!!!!!!!! Hysteria.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Thank God I got out of the stock market a while ago.

It's a gamble just like Vegas.

Right now it's a losing gamble.

I have friends who are either retired or close to it, and they are panicking not over the virus, but their nest eggs are cracking.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Good thing I don't have a single nest egg. All those well meaning people in my life urging me to plan for retirement hahahaha my retirement plan is find a nice bridge to live under. Can't lose what you don't have. 8-)
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The way this is going I'm guessing maybe another 20% downturn. At that point, the market will be down 40-50%. This should happen over the next couple of weeks. Dow hits 16,000 or the S&P hits 2,000 I'm back in all they way.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

sorely lacking .
Luke, RI has 21 cases and all restaurants and malls are shut down.Telling people to not congregate more than 10 people. In 2009 during the Swine Flu guess what shut down? NOTHING. Political? Well, the states taking these draconian measures are all democrat states.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

You say RI has 21 known cases. If you’ve been paying attention, you’d know that by next week it will be in the hundreds and the week after that, the thousands. The same pattern has played out all over the world; Massachusetts, where I live, is about a week ahead of RI - we should have shut everything down a week earlier.

If you really don’t understand why the social distancing is being implemented, read the below article and watch the simulations. As far as the difference between this and flu, not only does covid-19 appear more lethal but because there is no vaccine and humans don’t have any built up immunity or robustness to the virus, it threatens to spread at an exponential rate - exponential is a word that gets thrown around loosely but it is accurate in this case, and that’s scary because it can result in overwhelming our (already inadequate) healthcare infrastructure. Yes, you could get this and be sick for a little bit and be fine, but in meantime you could cause people who are more vulnerable to the virus to become infected.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... simulator/

The selfishness of people whose being inconvenienced will save people’s lives to bitch about being inconvenienced is unreal to me.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If you don’t like the Washington Post because it’s liberal propaganda or whatever the hell you guys think, here’s your guy Newt Gingrich:

https://www.newsweek.com/newt-gingrich- ... on-1492270
As I write:

All schools are closed in all of Italy.
All churches are closed (including St. Peter's Basilica).
All weddings and funerals are postponed.
All restaurants are closed.
In fact, all stores except grocery stores and pharmacies are closed.
People are urged to work from home unless they work in special designated factories

The streets are almost empty.

These steps are not an overreaction.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago You say RI has 21 known cases. If you’ve been paying attention, you’d know that by next week it will be in the hundreds and the week after that, the thousands. The same pattern has played out all over the world; Massachusetts, where I live, is about a week ahead of RI - we should have shut everything down a week earlier.

If you really don’t understand why the social distancing is being implemented, read the below article and watch the simulations. As far as the difference between this and flu, not only does covid-19 appear more lethal but because there is no vaccine and humans don’t have any built up immunity or robustness to the virus, it threatens to spread at an exponential rate - exponential is a word that gets thrown around loosely but it is accurate in this case, and that’s scary because it can result in overwhelming our (already inadequate) healthcare infrastructure. Yes, you could get this and be sick for a little bit and be fine, but in meantime you could cause people who are more vulnerable to the virus to become infected.

The selfishness of people whose being inconvenienced will save people’s lives to bitch about being inconvenienced is unreal to me.
Are you projecting your thoughts or your knowledge? The Swine Flu in 2009 was a pandemic and killed over 3,000 people in the US. Did we shut down bars and restaurants? The NCAAT and all Pro sports? Think about that one.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago You say RI has 21 known cases. If you’ve been paying attention, you’d know that by next week it will be in the hundreds and the week after that, the thousands. The same pattern has played out all over the world; Massachusetts, where I live, is about a week ahead of RI - we should have shut everything down a week earlier.

Are you projecting your thoughts or your knowledge? The Swine Flu in 2009 was a pandemic and killed over 3,000 people in the US. Did we shut down bars and restaurants? The NCAAT and all Pro sports? Think about that one.
The mortality rate of the swine flu was around 0.02 percent. We can't even get a correct one for this yet, because it effects different ages different and because the self-reporting from countries is all over the map. (Like, in the U.S., we clearly have way more cases than reporter because we can't even test all people with symptoms right now.) So, the mortality rate is estimated somewhere between 0.25 to 3 percent, depending on the access to hospitals, when you get diagnosed, etc.

Covid19 seems to be especially bad because 1) it seems like people in their 20s and 30s can have it and exhibit no symptoms, instead just passing it along to others and 2) it can just fester for up to two weeks in a system. Past comparisons to the flu and shit like Ebola aren't especially valid, because they tend to be violent viruses / diseases that just burn up their hosts quick, instead of being a two-week spreadable bomb.
3 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago Covid19 seems to be especially bad because 1) it seems like people in their 20s and 30s can have it and exhibit no symptoms, instead just passing it along to others and 2) it can just fester for up to two weeks in a system.
This graph says it all.

2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-repor ... c1b50.html
A startling new report from Imperial College London warns that 2.2 million Americans and 510,000 Britons could die from coronavirus if extreme action isn't taken to change the course of the outbreak.
We are totally overreacting by not letting you watch your precious sportsball tournament, though.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Thousands of kids are on the Florida beaches for spring break and could care less about what the consequences will be once they go home to their parents and grandparents, since schools are out.

My guess it's already too late to stop the spread in certain areas.

I doubt 2 million will die, but it's going to be bad...the health care system won't be able to handle it in those areas.

Also hearing that some who have recovered, are getting it again. That's bad news.

Total lockdown same as Italy is coming, I'm afraid. The entire US financial system including most banks might fail.

This isn't just my opinion either.

I'm not counting on sports even starting up again this fall.

Let's hope the worst doesn't happen.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

A lot of doctors are now calling for a national quarantine as soon as possible.

Only a matter of time.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

URI Staff Member Tests Positive for Coronavirus

Unread post by RF1 »

URI Staff Member Tests Positive for Coronavirus
https://www.providencejournal.com/news/ ... oronavirus
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Vermont vs Maine Basketball Game

https://bangordailynews.com/2020/03/19/ ... n-vermont/
It is too bad they aren't in the NBA or they easily would be able to get tests. Otherwise they are screwed like everyone else.
2 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Celtics player Marcus Smart has tested positive. Worth noting that Utah (right before its two players tested positive) played in Boston almost two weeks ago.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Right. The boy from Westerly got infected by getting Rudy’s autograph.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago Right. The boy from Westerly got infected by getting Rudy’s autograph.
Has that been proven?

From this article:

A few questions remain unanswered:

Did the boy get the virus from Gobert?
Did Gobert get the virus from the boy?
Did the boy and Gobert each get the virus from another source?

Town officials say one child recently returned from a cruise to the Bahamas, while the other child recently got an autograph from Gobert

The Encore Boston Harbor Casino announced yesterday that an individual who tested positive for COVID-19 had recently been in the casino. Boston media identified the individual as Donovan Mitchell.

https://kutv.com/news/coronavirus/boy-w ... oronavirus
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Another article/update:

He did not specify which child attended the NBA game, which was played at the TD Garden in Boston. It’s also unclear which player, Rudy Gobert or Donovan Mitchell, gave the child the autograph, or if that is exactly where the child contracted the virus.

The Boston Celtics released a statement Friday on the situation, saying they were told by health officials that it was unlikely the players were contagious during the game.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wgno.com/n ... y-tmw/amp/
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I feel bad for the seniors, my daughter who is one of them, who will miss the greatest semester of their lives. Very sad and I really feel for them. They all worked so hard for 4 years and they get handed this for their senior year. Sometimes life is so unfair.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Life is definitely unfair, in many ways. The entire NBA seemingly has been tested while other folks with symptoms, but without the means, are turned away.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That sucks. I like that they are opening it up for students to decide on an alternative though. Thats probably the best option in a shitty situation.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

My post about shutting down was the rant of a frustrated fan without the facts at the time, so I apologize for my ill advised ( No pun intended )
comments BlueRam . And I am now better informed to make an intelligent reply. Obviously , the actions taken were necessary . However , I do wish they had postponed the tournaments instead of outright cancelled them . They could always cancel later if need be . Hope normalcy can be restored soon.
I am in NJ where there are a few thousand with the virus . Fortunately for me the outbreaks are not in my town yet as far as is reported , but it will probably get here. Everyone stay home if you can and hope all of you can remain safe .
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Raimondo is doing the right thing when she announced the new restrictions effective immediately.

CT should be doing it too, especially since western CT has become a hot spot for the disease.

We can only hope that this area doesn't end up like that.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Doesn't it feel like every day is the same now? What day is it lol?

With so many things being delayed, cancelled....not just sports either.

And getting back to what passes as normal won't be an easy feat either.

Some are saying that even the NFL might not have a season come this fall...….if so then college basketball won't either.
1 x