'19 DC C - Makhi Mitchell (Rhode Island Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: '19 Transfer C - Makhi Mitchell (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by Rhody15 »

How do people still think the twins can play second semester?

It has been well established they cannot play next year at all without a waiver.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Not sure, just wishful thinking on some people's part.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 years ago This has been discussed, without waiver they wouldn't be eligible until 21-22
Ok thats what i initially thought since they didnt enroll prior to second semester. But many were saying early in the thread that they would be eligible after 1st semester.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Re: '19 Transfer C - Makhi Mitchell

Unread post by FDshoes »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago I think the way they did this they are stuck sitting all of next year - I still want them here though because I think they will thrive in the A10.
This is also my thought. They wasted the spring semester by not enrolling somewhere. Or atleast that is how i understood the transfer rules pending exemption obviously. Or rule change.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Maybe I'm too lax on terminology requirements but asking any chance they're eligible 2nd semester and asking any chance they receive a waiver and are eligible 2nd semester sound like the same question to me.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago Maybe I'm too lax on terminology requirements but asking any chance they're eligible 2nd semester and asking any chance they receive a waiver and are eligible 2nd semester sound like the same question to me.
It's my understanding that there are some people who thought that because the Mitchell's did not play in the second semester, that by also sitting the first semester next year they would automatically be eligible for the second semester of next season, which is not true because they were not enrolled at URI as students this year.

That is a different conversation than the waiver conversation, which would make them automatically eligible for the first semester if the NCAA approves their waiver request.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

How do people still think the twins can play second semester?

It has been well established they cannot play next year at all without a waiver.

Kind of like thinking that Covid-19 is just going to go away on it's own.

Just wishful thinking on some peoples part and a steady drum beat of delusion on a few others
who have moved up ....

"On the roof, the only place I know
Where you just have to wish to make it so"

James Taylor
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago How do people still think the twins can play second semester?

Kind of like thinking that Covid-19 is just going to go away on it's own.

Just wishful thinking on some peoples part and a steady drum beat of delusion on a few others
who have moved up ....

"On the roof, the only place I know
Where you just have to wish to make it so"

James Taylor
How would COVID go away on it's own? Makes no sense. It might die down a bit in the summer but there's gonna be another wave in the Fall until we have a legit vaccine.
2 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Didn't say i believe COVID is going away on it's own, I'm saying there are people out there
who think it will as soon as the weather gets hot or that this is some Hoax,
or if you drink Lysol you'll be immune, etc.. People hear and/or believe what they want.
Faced with the possible reality of 6 scholarship players and a bunch of walk-on's
people want to believe that the twins will be eligible to play, or they are a good
bet to get a waiver.

Sorry ,I shouldn't have made light of COVID 19, but in desperation people will hear and
believe what they hope will happen, can and will happen.
1 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

You would be best asking that question to Dr Clorox, the new CDC Director.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

COVID is not going away ever.

It will be there, in dozens, if not hundreds of strains, just like influenza, until the end of the time.

Consider this. How many times have you come in contact with the yearly flu virus in your lifetime? That's the same rate at which you will come in contact with this, from here on in. You cannot hide from it forever, eventually you'll have to face it head on.

I think social distancing has been a great thing. But all the social distancing in the world won't stop this virus from finding each and every single person in this country eventually. It just prevents unnecessary exposure because some inconsiderate douche thinks it's perfectly ok to cough and hack right in your face with no mask on.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

So, we can stop with the virus talk now - Any further posts about just that will be pruned or moved. Thanks.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

While you are here... does something special have to happen with Allen Betrand before his thread is sticky'ed? Do we need confirmation from the University that he actually signed papers or something?

I'm not be facetious. I didn't know if there was some waiting period for some reason.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago While you are here... does something special have to happen with Allen Betrand before his thread is sticky'ed? Do we need confirmation from the University that he actually signed papers or something?

I'm not be facetious. I didn't know if there was some waiting period for some reason.
Eh, it's more that I don't notice these things because it's not how I browse the board at all. I have this page bookmarked, so what's at the top of a particular forum is somewhat irrelevant to me.

Anywho! Back to Mitchell talk.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Oh, I see. Well, thank you. I appreciate it
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Let’s just say the Mitchell’s do get a waiver to play in the second half of the year. Does it make sense to sit them the full year if we’re not at the top of the rankings in the A10? Can you even do that? Decide mid year?
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Aren't the waivers if granted for the entire season?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago Aren't the waivers if granted for the entire season?
Yes. They are playing all or none.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Ok cool. Makes more sense. Thanks.
0 x
- Mr. Rogers
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

From the sounds of their mom’s tweet - it looks like the waiver paperwork has been submitted to NCAA for the twins and we’re in wait and see mode.
1 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Hopefully he NCAA acts on it quickly one way or another.
The uncertainty of the twins status is probably keeping
an other potentially eligible bigs from signing up.
Hope the get their waiver but I don't like the odds.
Only time will tell.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

In his zoom meeting with donors and season ticket holders Thor reiterated that he expected a quick decision (a couple of weeks). If so, we should know by the end of the month
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago In his zoom meeting with donors and season ticket holders Thor reiterated that he expected a quick decision (a couple of weeks). If so, we should know by the end of the month
hahahahahahaha....I will believe it when I see it.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Again, it seems optimistic to me but I presume he’s more familiar with the process than we are.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

A decision can be quick and not be the one you want to hear. I am also skeptical to we are going to get good news. I hope to be proven wrong!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Watch the NCAA grant a waiver to one of the twins and not the other...

The sad part is, it wouldn’t shock me in the least bit.
1 x
Go Rhody
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago From the sounds of their mom’s tweet - it looks like the waiver paperwork has been submitted to NCAA for the twins and we’re in wait and see mode.
Also sounds like she isn’t a fan of that prick Turgeon.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Watch the NCAA grant a waiver to one of the twins and not the other...

zero chance
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Watch the NCAA grant a waiver to one of the twins and not the other...

That would be the most NCAA thing ever.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago

That would be the most NCAA thing ever.
Makes zero sense. What would be the logic?
Neither should get a waiver. They played last season, both players left the team of their own choice.
Both players remained in school for the entire year.
Both should sit out the full year as per NCAA Rules.
I doubt one would want to play without the other anyway.

Both are choosing to transfer to a school away from home, not to be closer TO home.

Best possible scenario should be that they are eligible after the 1st semester, but I wouldn’t bet much on that.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

I think the comment was sarcasm. Basically insinuating that the NCAA are a bunch of morons and the basis of these waivers are completely random.
1 x
- Mr. Rogers
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

If you listened to the last coaches show, Thorr believes most transfers will pass because kids were under the assumption that the rule would pass this off season, hence the reason they left.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I had read that the twins and mom were unhappy with their playing time and they were facing suspension for getting in a fight with their teammate. hence they reached an agreement with the staff to transfer instead.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago If you listened to the last coaches show, Thorr believes most transfers will pass because kids were under the assumption that the rule would pass this off season, hence the reason they left.
If that is the case then the NCAA should let all transfers play. How can you approve some and not others? Because some got better, more expensive lawyers?

And what does that do for players on teams who did NOT think the Transfers would be eligible as the rule states? So 5 guys are eligible at URI and DJ Johnson gets no playing time. Can DJ joe quickly transfer to a school where he can play?

If the NCAA is now going to let most kids play then they should have simply passed the Big 10 Proposed and ACC endorsed plan. The NCAA didn’t even develop it, they just held approval up and still haven’t approved it.

It’s crazy but typical NCAA
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago I think the comment was sarcasm. Basically insinuating that the NCAA are a bunch of morons and the basis of these waivers are completely random.
Yes it was
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The twins left early to avoid suspension, there was no mention at that time about any rule change allowing them to play immediately somewhere else.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Let me rephrase: there was no mention of them leaving at that time because of any possible rule change that would allow them to play immediately, there seemed to be inner-team conflict causing an altercation resulting in them getting suspended had they stayed.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

They left because there was no longer an opportunity to play at their current school - same reason Antwan left GTown and should have gotten a waiver except GTown did not agree. I think GTown ultimately did not agree because Rhody is a direct competitor for DC recruits, Maryland does not see the same threat from Rhody and will cooperate.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes, it became an ugly situation for them at Maryland between team conflict and feeling they were mislead. I think the staff and his family had a agreed that parting ways was in everyone's best interest. Just because of no opposition from Maryland on the waiver process, doesn't mean the the NCAA will grant them immediate eligibility.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That is correct Jersey77. No opposition from Maryland does not mean they should get a waiver, but should make it easier than the Walker situation.
The Mitchell's are not moving closer to home. They also are not coming to URI to be closer to an ill relative such as a grandparent, that I know of
They should sit out a year and be eligible for 2021-2022 by the standard rules.

The best possible scenario might be that they are eligible for 2nd semester of 2020-2021 season - December 2020. Problem is that they attended classes at Maryland 2nd semester last year therefore they must sit out a full year before playing for URI.

If the Mitchell's get a waiver I'd expect anybody could get one. Nothing stands out to make their situation different other than then did not play the 2nd semester half of last season.

If they had dropped out of Maryland after leaving the team and enrolled at URI that would make a significant difference, but of course they didn't.

That said, it will be interesting to see what the Lawyer(s) are preparing to help get the Mitchell's, and possible others, eligible at URI as Thorr referred to in this past week.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Looked like Jeff was working out with the Mitchell twins yesterday.
Last edited by CamsRams 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Re: '19 DC C - Makhi Mitchell (Rhode Island Commit)

NCAA.....where you at??? Give us some good news.
#tiredofwaiting
3 x
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago That is correct Jersey77. No opposition from Maryland does not mean they should get a waiver, but should make it easier than the Walker situation.
The Mitchell's are not moving closer to home. They also are not coming to URI to be closer to an ill relative such as a grandparent, that I know of

The best possible scenario might be that they are eligible for 2nd semester of 2020-2021 season - December 2020. Problem is that they attended classes at Maryland 2nd semester last year therefore they must sit out a full year before playing for URI.

If the Mitchell's get a waiver I'd expect anybody could get one. Nothing stands out to make their situation different other than then did not play the 2nd semester half of last season.

If they had dropped out of Maryland after leaving the team and enrolled at URI that would make a significant difference, but of course they didn't.

That said, it will be interesting to see what the Lawyer(s) are preparing to help get the Mitchell's, and possible others, eligible at URI as Thorr referred to in this past week.
You should read and understand the NCAA transfer rules. You got somethings wrong and missed another item.
Just high level. The rules mention nothing about “sitting out a year”. The rule is you have to be enrolled one full time academic year (in residence). When a player signs his National Letter of Intent he is signing a one year contract. Breaking that contract and transferring to another school has consequences including up to be suspended by the NCAA. That is why the Mitchells completed classes at Maryland for the Spring semester. According to the NCAA rules there is not a scenario where they would be eligible for the 2nd semester of 2020-2021 season.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The twins applied to become eligible for the full season. If that fails, they will return the second half of the upcoming season. That’s a guarantee.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not guaranteed the twins would be eligible 2nd semester, they would of needed to enroll here in January. Unless any special waivers granted, they wouldn't be eligible until the following season 21/22.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Not guaranteed the twins would be eligible 2nd semester, they would of needed to enroll here in January. Unless any special waivers granted, they wouldn't be eligible until the following season 21/22.
I am telling you. It’s a guarantee. I’ll bet a round. ;-)
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

You must have some strong contacts and inside knowledge that hasn't been released. if they are eligible, I will be happy to buy you a round.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago You must have some strong contacts and inside knowledge that hasn't been released. if they are eligible, I will be happy to buy you a round.
Deal!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago That is correct Jersey77. No opposition from Maryland does not mean they should get a waiver, but should make it easier than the Walker situation.

You should read and understand the NCAA transfer rules. You got somethings wrong and missed another item.
Just high level. The rules mention nothing about “sitting out a year”. The rule is you have to be enrolled one full time academic year (in residence). When a player signs his National Letter of Intent he is signing a one year contract. Breaking that contract and transferring to another school has consequences including up to be suspended by the NCAA. That is why the Mitchells completed classes at Maryland for the Spring semester. According to the NCAA rules there is not a scenario where they would be eligible for the 2nd semester of 2020-2021 season.
I’ll bet heavily that the twins play at least second semester this coming season. Sure they didn’t second semester and attended classes at Maryland but this type of sitting out two consecutive sff Semesters (2nd AT Maryland and 1st at URI) represents a good chance at a waiver to be able to play sd one semester this season especially when you throw in Covid AND the likelihood of transfers being immediately eligible. I don’t think there is Any chance the NCAA makes the twins sit out 3 straight semesters of college basketball.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The premise here is that the NCAA literally makes up a rule so the twins don't miss 3 straight semesters of basketballs? When has the NCAA ever been so kind as to generously just make up a new rule on the fly? Is their any similar cases out there one can point to and say "It happened to ___ and even though he didn't go to school second semester of last season, he only missed half the season?" I mean what do I know, it just sounds more like wishful thinking than factual information.
0 x