FYI - First Round NIT games likely to be Tue 03/17 or Wednesday 03/18

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

FYI - First Round NIT games likely to be Tue 03/17 or Wednesday 03/18

Unread post by RF1 »

Was just looking at the 2019 NIT bracket. All of the first round games in 2019 were held on either the Tuesday (10 games) or Wednesday (6 games) after the end of the regular season. That would mean that URI's probable first round NIT game will likely be Tuesday 03/17 or Wednesday 03/18. The 32 teams of the NIT are chosen from a pool of any conference regular season champions and best at large teams that fail to make the NCAA Tournament. 20 at large teams were selected for the 2019 NIT. There are four regions with the teams seeded in each. The top seeds host each round. Given that URI currently has an NET rank of #56, it would likely be a top four seed in its pod and host a game if it participates in the NIT as is now most probable.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: FYI - First Round NIT games likely to be Tue 03/17 or Wednesday 03/18

Unread post by RF1 »

I would think that URI will soon be sending an email out trying to get a jump on the difficult prospect of selling tickets to the NIT. Home games for this tournament present many challenges in drawing crowds. There is typically just 2-3 days notice of the game time and opponent. No season tickets are pre-sold for the games making the starting base zero for each contest. I also believe that URI's policy of providing free student tickets is against the NIT rules and is not in effect for these games. I believe that in some instances in the past, sponsors have stepped up and purchased tickets for them.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Ghost town
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago I would think that URI will soon be sending an email out trying to get a jump on the difficult prospect of selling tickets to the NIT. Home games for this tournament present many challenges in drawing crowds. There is typically just 2-3 days notice of the game time and opponent. No season tickets are pre-sold for the games making the starting base zero for each contest. I also believe that URI's policy of providing free student tickets is against the NIT rules and is not in effect for these games. I believe that in some instances in the past, sponsors have stepped up and purchased tickets for them.
I had guessed 2800 earlier for an NIT game. I was probably too high. I’ll pass on any NIT game even if they gave me the tickets for free.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......as much distaste many have for the NIT, if offered the team should decide, no news flash there, but maybe for Jeff and Cyril the opportunity to make it to MSG is worth going......?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years agoGhost town
I agree. I myself am not inclined to attend at this moment. I went to 12 home games this season and last night was likely my last for this year. The NIT is a tough sell which will be even tougher for fans that were for many weeks dreaming of the NCAA. I think you will see a fairly small crowd of just a few thousand. I am not even certain it would even exceed 3k. Based on the attendance trend for the last several NIT home games, crowds will not be big.
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago Ryan Center NIT Games Attendance
3/19/03 vs Seton Hall 5,995
3/25/03 vs Temple 7,214 (*2nd round)
3/17/04 vs Boston University 4,435
3/17/10 vs Northwestern 2,734
3/22/10 vs Nevada 3,419 (*2nd round)
3/17/15 vs Iona 2,638
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ......as much distaste many have for the NIT, if offered the team should decide, no news flash there, but maybe for Jeff and Cyril the opportunity to make it to MSG is worth going......?
I think it foolish to think the program will refuse the NIT. It will without a doubt accept a bid. No one however will be much enthused - be it the players, coaches, administrators, fans, or students.

With the NCAA running the NIT these days, I don't see the purpose of it continuing. I would much rather see it rolled up into the NCAA Tournament. Increase the field from 68 to 96 with 32 teams playing 16 games in an earlier play in type round.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The Ryan Center is near the top of my list of 'Happy Places'. If there's an NIT game, I'll be there. If there's an exhibition game, an open practice, a game against a crappy team, I'm there whenever I can be, even when the game means nothing.
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: FYI - First Round NIT games likely to be Tue 03/18 or Wednesday 03/19

Unread post by Blue Man »

LOF*&KINGL if you told me 3 weeks ago after GW at 18-5 (10-1), that we'd be having this legitimate conversation, I'd have died.

But here we are.

I can't in good conscience support an NIT run by a team who played their way out and has shown no fight along the way. Maybe if we make a run in Brooklyn and show that we're not dead and willing to fight I might make an appearance - but why on God's earth anyone would go to these games if we end our season on a 3 game losing streak, losing 6 of 8, mostly to inferior opponents, is beyond me.

The NIT is a massive disappointment - beyond the obvious - but based on the fact that this team has rolled over and died with zero passion or fight like a Baron team. It's too disgustingly familiar to need to see again.

This team has been disgusting and a displeasure to watch - even in the 2 wins. St Joes at home was a STRUGGLE without their best player. We got lucky to escape FORDHAM. It has been joyless basketball for 3 weeks - much more looking like a brand new coach and new players adjusting to a brand new rebuilt situation....rather than a senior led team that returned all of it's starters and all-conference talent from the year before.

Would love to see this team fight and look like they want to win, but nothing based on the last 3 weeks of basketball has shown me they are interested in anything but being an absolute train wreck.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago The Ryan Center is near the top of my list of 'Happy Places'. If there's an NIT game, I'll be there. If there's an exhibition game, an open practice, a game against a crappy team, I'm there whenever I can be, even when the game means nothing.
I couldn’t have written it better myself
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

If it’s $10 I’m all in

Go Rhody
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

NIT or bust! :?

1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

any NIT game should be played in Keaney.
5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ......as much distaste many have for the NIT, if offered the team should decide, no news flash there, but maybe for Jeff and Cyril the opportunity to make it to MSG is worth going......?
I think it foolish to think the program will refuse the NIT. It will without a doubt accept a bid. No one however will be much enthused - be it the players, coaches, administrators, fans, or students.

With the NCAA running the NIT these days, I don't see the purpose of it continuing. I would much rather see it rolled up into the NCAA Tournament. Increase the field from 68 to 96 with 32 teams playing 16 games in an earlier play in type round.
I was against this when it was first proposed several years ago which turned into the first four playoff round, but now there are more and more teams jumping to division 1, so that is making me rethink this. However, my fear is still the extra 28 teams will come from the sub .500 teams in the P5, instead of the very good 3rd place team from a smaller conference, so I think in order for me to want this, they'll have to make sure we aren't getting those crappy 10th place team from the Pac 12 or something. Perhaps require a .500 or better record in conference or something.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Can we take it one step at a time? URI still has a chance to get an auto-bid in the A10 tournament next week. If Dayton gets knocked out (which is very very unlikely) before we do I think we have a chance to win it all.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......except for the other lesser post season events......play anybody anywhere.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago Can we take it one step at a time? URI still has a chance to get an auto-bid in the A10 tournament next week. If Dayton gets knocked out (which is very very unlikely) before we do I think we have a chance to win it all.
.......Team Rankings gave that 10%.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago Can we take it one step at a time? URI still has a chance to get an auto-bid in the A10 tournament next week. If Dayton gets knocked out (which is very very unlikely) before we do I think we have a chance to win it all.
I don't care what team rankings says. URI could turn it around in time for the tournament. It's not impossible
0 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago

2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago NIT or bust! :?

There should be a waiver so that, if it's anything from this movie, you can "like" it multiple times....
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago any NIT game should be played in Keaney.
I'm unlikely to go to an NIT game but holding it in Keaney would certainly change that
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
I'm unlikely to go to an NIT game but holding it in Keaney would certainly change that
With beers in seats.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
It would certainly make a statement with the players for sure. NIT is for gyms, NCAAT is for arenas. I would go as well if a game was held at Keaney.
0 x
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

Seriously....take down mass,slu,rich,st bunnies, or any assortment....a few bubble b u sts.....maybe it's a stretch but who expected last year's four a10 tournament games
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I would actually get excited if we played UConn at home.

Granted, I can almost guarantee Hurley would tell the NIT they won’t play if they are matched up with us.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

How is the NIT still a thing??? Attendance at most games suck(drew just over 4K for the final at MSG)and TV ratings can’t be great.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago How is the NIT still a thing??? Attendance at most games suck(drew just over 4K for the final at MSG)and TV ratings can’t be great.
Because message boards talk about it?
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Great idea, although I'm not sure I would attend...jury still out. Have to see the effort in the A-10 tourney.

But, great idea.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Is there a pub there? 8-)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago I would actually get excited if we played UConn at home.

Granted, I can almost guarantee Hurley would tell the NIT they won’t play if they are matched up with us.
UConn could end up in the NCAA tournament.
Hurley has won 4 straight including tonight over #21 Ranked Houston

UConn has won 7 of their last 9
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago I would actually get excited if we played UConn at home.

UConn could end up in the NCAA tournament.
Hurley has won 4 straight including tonight over #21 Ranked Houston

UConn has won 7 of their last 9
As an at large? They’re 9-8 And in 7th place in a conference similar to the A10.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I could see them winning their tournament. No dominant team.
0 x
Go Rhody
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RI_Bred wrote: 4 years ago
Great idea, although I'm not sure I would attend...jury still out. Have to see the effort in the A-10 tourney.

But, great idea.

I really think it should be done for an open practice or at least an exhibition game. I was the freshman class for the RC so I never had the privilege of the student experience at Keaney. Since a game hasn’t been held there since 2001-2002 season maybe an anniversary special to look forward to? I’d find a way to market that.
1 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

The game against Temple in the NIT in the first year was one of the loudest I've ever heard it in the Ryan Center. I believe they were up 16 at one point and would have played at home against Minnesota for the right to go to MSG had they won. I remember when the game ended the fans gave the team a standing O.

I don't think there's a chance in hell of that kind of a crowd this year, even if they were to play UConn or another name opponent such as Syracuse with the right to go to MSG.

Or they could just make it a non-issue and win three straight in Brooklyn...
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

But, great idea.

I really think it should be done for an open practice or at least an exhibition game. I was the freshman class for the RC so I never had the privilege of the student experience at Keaney. Since a game hasn’t been held there since 2001-2002 season maybe an anniversary special to look forward to? I’d find a way to market that.
Keaney can’t be used for an NCAA sanctioned event. It’s not up to par any more as a basketball court.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

But, great idea.

Keaney can’t be used for an NCAA sanctioned event. It’s not up to par any more as a basketball court.
We're not up to par as a basketball team. Or a program...seems to be trending that way anyway.

The heady days of just a couple of years ago are virtually gone. Didn't take long, did it?
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......lots of question marks going into next season for sure.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

UConn might just make the NCAA tourney. At the very least they will likely be a higher NIT seed than us.

They are winning without Akok Akok too.

Hurley teams get better....ours?
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago UConn might just make the NCAA tourney. At the very least they will likely be a higher NIT seed than us.

.......even though we have experienced an overall improvement from last year, as has been pointed out by others, the drop off recently feels like we are regressing overall, I think it is the disappointment we are feeling this end of season when so much was within our grasp to go get, make our own destiny, but we haven’t......The A-10 to go, who knows......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
2 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago UConn might just make the NCAA tourney. At the very least they will likely be a higher NIT seed than us.

Torvik has RI and UConn at about the same spot, so tied seed-wise if they both are in the NIT.

http://www.barttorvik.com/teamcast.php? ... m=&x5_res=
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah we're about a 3 seed in the NIT at present.

The way we're going, we might not even get a home game.

If we lose tomorrow and then next Friday, will anyone care?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

This thread is a literal kick in the balls.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Can’t see that happening without the automatic bid, which means 4 wins in 4 days. Regardless, it’s turned into a meaningful season. They lost two front court starters (their best defensive presence and their best 3 point shooter) and now start two freshmen, yet they’ve gotten better. They only have 7 guys eligible, occasionally 8- even one of their walk-ons is hurt, but they’re a tough-minded group. Adams is playing that Stan Robinson role as a small 4.

Vital is having the kind of senior season I had desperately hoped for Dowtin to have. I also think Fatts could benefit from being coached the way Vital has been. They seem like similar personalities and have some of the same tendencies on the court.

Also, whatever happens, if UConn is scheduled to match up with URI, I’m burning it all to the ground before that happens. I’d honestly rather have UConn play ASU (who will probably make the tournament). UConn making the NIT seems like an ok next step. URI possibly making it after all this seems like a gut punch.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago This thread is a literal kick in the balls.

HEAR HEAR

HATE THIS THREAD
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
RF1 wrote: 4 years ago I would think that URI will soon be sending an email out trying to get a jump on the difficult prospect of selling tickets to the NIT. Home games for this tournament present many challenges in drawing crowds. There is typically just 2-3 days notice of the game time and opponent. No season tickets are pre-sold for the games making the starting base zero for each contest. I also believe that URI's policy of providing free student tickets is against the NIT rules and is not in effect for these games. I believe that in some instances in the past, sponsors have stepped up and purchased tickets for them.
I had guessed 2800 earlier for an NIT game. I was probably too high. I’ll pass on any NIT game even if they gave me the tickets for free.
FAIR WEATHER FAN! re you a Yankee fan also?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we make the A10 finals and lose, we'll be a 2 seed NIT.

If we win Friday and lose Saturday, we'll be a 3 seed.

If we lose Friday, we'll be a 4 seed.

Most likely we'll get one home game.

For what that's worth.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Wait! Will we be any better next Year? This may be one last chance to see the best URI basketball team for many years.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......I think make it to the finals in A-10, And loose.......dust off the big dancing shoes......cause we is going.......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ......I think make it to the finals in A-10, And loose.......dust off the big dancing shoes......cause we is going.......
Too early to be talking NIT

What happened to?

One

Game

At

A

Time

Win 2 straight in NYC and if one of those wins is Richmond I don’t see how Richmond goes ahead of us.
0 x