3/4 | Dayton | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

3/4 | Dayton | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Dayton University
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Wednesday, March 4, 2020
9:00PM

Media
TV: CBSSN
Online: CBSSN
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
Dayton’s Fan Forum
Another Dayton’s Fan Forum
Blackburn Review

Forgive the profanity but to quote Jay & Silent Bob, “Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Mother Mother Fuck, Mother Mother Fuck Fuck, Mother Fuck, Mother Fuck..." URI has their biggest game of the season if they want to keep their fleeting postseason hopes alive as Dayton comes to Kingston. Dayton has rattled off 18 wins in a row while Rhody has lost 3 of their last 5 & are desperate for a signature win this season. This is the highest ranked team to play at the Ryan Center since Jameer Nelson’s #2 Saint Joseph Hawk’s squeaked out a win by 2 in 2004. In addition, this is first season since the 1987-88 Rams played 3 top 10 games in the same season. Rhody went 1-2 that year & hopefully this year they can repeat that fact. The Flyers travel to Kingston rolling through the A10. While they are still undefeated in A10 play, their last 6 road games they have only won by an average of 5.67 points (and half of those road games were against teams with a .500 record or less in the A10). So, with all that being said, this is potentially a winnable game. Rhody needs to get off to a better start than they did against Dayton the last time they played (obviously) as well as their last game against the Billikens. They also need to play better defense. Saint Louis shot much better than they usually do. Same with Fordham last week. They will need better long-distance shooting as they are only shooting it at 26% over the last 5 games. Just fucking dig down deep & pull out this much needed win. Play good D, hit your shots & we are winning this game. Dayton should be favored by about 4 in this one but I am going to be optimistic here & say Rhody wins 72-70. LFG!!!

Opponent
Record:
27-2, 16-0 in the A10
Last season: 21-12, 13-5 in the A10

Rankings:
RPI: 2
KenPom: 6
NCAA NET: 3
BPI: 7

Leaders :
Points – Obi Toppin 19.8 (Soph., F)
Rebounds – Obi Toppin, 7.8 (Soph., F)
Assists – Jalen Crutcher, 4.9 (Jr., G) (2.1 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 17-20
H: 9-6, A: 7-10, N: 1-4
Most Recent Matchup: 2/11/20 81-67 L at Dayton
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – Dayton
Match-up Predictor: 32.6% Chance of URI Winning
Last edited by spookydog 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: 3/4 | Dayton | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

7 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

A moral victory will be not being down 10-0 by the under 16.
10 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Must win game is an understatement.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

There are GA tickets available in section 201 for 25 dollars, the prime section for students. What does that tell you?
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........Team Rankings dropped our % to Dance by 33 to 37%.....ouch......they now rank us #69 with 36% chance to beat # 10 Flyers......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UD90
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by UD90 »

Looking forward to a great game. AP just came out. We moved to #3. I've been to Kingston once. Wish I could shake loose from work. I imagine it will be off the hook. Hopefully we hit the under on 7 technicals and 52 fouls.
8 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Kansas is the unanimous No. 1 in a week of upheaval in the AP Top 25.

The Jayhawks received all 64 first-place votes from a media panel in The Associated Press men’s college basketball poll released Monday.

Gonzaga was No. 2, with Dayton, Baylor and San Diego State rounding out the top five. The Aztecs, No. 9 Maryland and No. 18 Iowa were the only teams to hold their place after a week in which nine Top-25 teams lost to unranked opponents.

Kansas remained at No. 1 for the second straight week after beating Oklahoma State and Kansas State.

Dayton has its highest ranking since reaching No. 2 in 1955-56 after stretching its winning streak to 18 games, with victories over George Mason and Davidson last week.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If Dayton is only -4 we should all bet our life savings on them.
4 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago If Dayton is only -4 we should all bet our life savings on them.
WE CAN GET THE PRACTICE FACILITY BUILT!!!!
8 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago If Dayton is only -4 we should all bet our life savings on them.
And Fix the Wi-Fi :shock: :shock: :shock:
6 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

ok Im dead
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

4 x
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago
ok Im dead
Dead. :lol:
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

1 x
GO RAMS
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

3 x
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

can we deploy the 'student coughing section' behind the Dayton bench????

I'M KIDDING!!!!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

NC_Ram wrote: 4 years ago can we deploy the 'student coughing section' behind the Dayton bench????

I'M KIDDING!!!!
Probably some a little sensitive since there’s corona virus in RI now.
0 x
Gators1
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Gators1 »

1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Must still be a lot of unsold tickets as URI is running local tv commercials specifically for this game. I just saw this promo multiple times in the last two hours in and around the 5- 7pm news programs on Channel 6 WLNE.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Fact is even if we had won this week, that 9pm start on a Wednesday in Guam is demoralizing for the average Joe and Josephine. 7pm start and it’s sold out a week ago.
1 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Fact is even if we had won this week, that 9pm start on a Wednesday in Guam is demoralizing for the average Joe and Josephine. 7pm start and it’s sold out a week ago.
Good thing we don't have a great TV deal with millions coming into the coffers, cause God forbid we have to play at 9PM multiple games?!
1 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago There are GA tickets available in section 201 for 25 dollars, the prime section for students. What does that tell you?
Tells me that maybe someone hit someone upside the head with a "the students aren't walking through those doors anytime soon" bRick?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago There are GA tickets available in section 201 for 25 dollars, the prime section for students. What does that tell you?
Tells me that maybe someone hit someone upside the head with a "the students aren't walking through those doors anytime soon" bRick?
Well, if I wasn't a fan of URI I would go just to see Obie Toppin play. Dude is just an amazing player. I have watched as much Dayton games as I could and it did not disappoint. But my RAMS need to make me a non believer on Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Anytime a top 3 team comes into town it's worth taking in, no matter what.
5 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Even If I was a UCONN fan, I'd cross the border for this one.
2 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Well, if I wasn't a fan of URI I would go just to see Obie Toppin play. Dude is just an amazing player. I have watched as much Dayton games as I could and it did not disappoint. But my RAMS need to make me a non believer on Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!
And combine that with him playing vs his younger brother!

Quite a story for URI, Dayton and the Atlantic 10!
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Last chance.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......hang with them somehow, keep it close enough to make some shots near the end......absolute must is not allowing them to jump out to big early lead, dig in, score first, couple of basketball gods breaks for us......and maybe......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Cox better reach into his bag of Lucky Charms and pull out some serious marshmallows. We need this win!!!!!!
2 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Get it done rhody
1 x
UD90
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by UD90 »

As a guest of this board and at risk of getting blasted SLU is a brutal team to play. They make everyone play ugly. URI is 12-4 and the most capable NCAA team in the A10 besides Dayton (I'm biased of course). URI can split the last two games win 2 in the A10 and still get an at large bid. I don't see a 23 win URI that makes the finals not dancing.

I still expect a great game and the A10 tournament providing a couple quad 1 opportunities for the Top 4. Net 1-50 on neutral is quad 1.

Don't get me wrong I get pissed when we lose to SLU also. If we (Dayton) don't lay an egg in the A10 I expect a 3rd match on selection Sunday.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

UD90 wrote: 4 years ago As a guest of this board and at risk of getting blasted SLU is a brutal team to play. They make everyone play ugly. URI is 12-4 and the most capable NCAA team in the A10 besides Dayton (I'm biased of course). URI can split the last two games win 2 in the A10 and still get an at large bid. I don't see a 23 win URI that makes the finals not dancing.

I still expect a great game and the A10 tournament providing a couple quad 1 opportunities for the Top 4. Net 1-50 on neutral is quad 1.

Don't get me wrong I get pissed when we lose to SLU also. If we (Dayton) don't lay an egg in the A10 I expect a 3rd match on selection Sunday.
I just want you to cuddle us after. At least hoping for some romance after we get absolutely demolished.

(I think this is me at the bargaining phase of grieving. Ahead of schedule)
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
UD90
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by UD90 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
UD90 wrote: 4 years ago As a guest of this board and at risk of getting blasted SLU is a brutal team to play. They make everyone play ugly. URI is 12-4 and the most capable NCAA team in the A10 besides Dayton (I'm biased of course). URI can split the last two games win 2 in the A10 and still get an at large bid. I don't see a 23 win URI that makes the finals not dancing.

I just want you to cuddle us after. At least hoping for some romance after we get absolutely demolished.

Lmao

No cuddling, just realism. I'll need the cuddling if we lose. Probably drop to #18. Because somehow losing to a second place 21 win URI on the road will be viewed worse than losing to a 16-13 TCU team in the eyes of the AP voters and the selection committee. Life outside the power 5.
11 x
gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Unread post by gazakaza »

UD90 wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

Lmao

No cuddling, just realism. I'll need the cuddling if we lose. Probably drop to #18. Because somehow losing to a second place 21 win URI on the road will be viewed worse than losing to a 16-13 TCU team in the eyes of the AP voters and the selection committee. Life outside the power 5.
#A10Problems
3 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Tough game to have on senior night. Going to miss Cyril & Jeff. I have the utmost respect for them and the way they've played since their very first years at URI. You could tell those two had "it".
THIS IS WHAT RHODY NEEDS TO DO. CHANNEL THEIR INNER MJ.
3 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It’s senior night hopefully our guys play the game of the year and give us a shot at the end , going to be tough but possible
3 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

OK time to put the negativity of the other day behind us and gear it up one final time in the Ryan Center. Let's Win this for the seniors!!!
4 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Unread post by gazakaza »

How I feel when people ask me why I take things so seriously regarding this team.
1 x
Dowtinsavestheworld
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Dowtinsavestheworld »

We need to get this thread going. Are we forgetting how big this game is? The season is not over and the bracket matrix have us just out. If we had beat St. Louis and lost to Dayton and Umass or early exit from A-10 tourney we would be done anyway. In my mind this game was always going to determine our season. It's a home game and a potential program building game. Get pumped and we have the talent to win this game. Of course we are going to have to shoot well but It's not like there are mismatches everyone. Toppin is really the only mismatch for us and I'm not that scared by him on defense.
Instead of trying to get Langevine or Harris going early, get the big 3 scoring early in the game. Martin, Dowtin, or Fatts should drive and force the action. I'm so incredibly pumped for this game and can't wait. We are an up and down team, time to step up. In Dowtin we trust. Big game, big results.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Katz beleives!

1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

It would Not shock me one bit if we somehow beat Dayton, get our hopes Up, then shit the bed @ UMass.
7 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago It would Not shock me one bit if we somehow beat Dayton, get our hopes Up, then shit the bed @ UMass.
I literally said this to one of my friends a couple of weeks ago. "Watch, we'll play the game of our lives and knock off Dayton, only to turn around and lose at UMass, because that's just the way these things go..."
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago It would Not shock me one bit if we somehow beat Dayton, get our hopes Up, then shit the bed @ UMass.
At this point I'll take it
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
Exactly, at least we'd have worked in a court storm.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Let's think positive here. We have won 5 of the last 6 senior night games. (That one loss was a shitshow against St. Joes which has tainted my memory) We have won 8 of the last 10 senior nights over the past decade. Let's get out there & get the fucking W that sends us to the tournament. Win it for Jeff & Cyril. LFG!!!
6 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
Not me. If they put me on that kind of emotional roller coaster I would be even more mad. Rather have them lose out than beat Dayton and get us worked up into a frenzy only to lose to a bad UMASS team and miss the tournament.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I read on the Dayton board where a Flyer fan claimed that URI only sells out when they play Dayton and Providence. I knew in my gut that opinion was not factual, so I looked at the historical record and this is what I found.

In the eighteen year history of the Ryan Center, there have been nineteen sellouts to date, spanning these 
opponents:

Providence     8
UMass          3
Dayton         2
Davidson       1
Nebraska       1
Pittsburgh     1
St. Joseph's   1
VCU            1
Xavier         1

Also, tomorrow night's game does not look to be a sellout.
Last edited by Obadiah 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x