3/1 | Saint Louis | 2:00PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

3/1 | Saint Louis | 2:00PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Saint Louis University
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Sunday, March 1, 2020
2:00PM

Media
TV: ESPNU
Online: ESPNU
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
Saint Louis’ Fan Forum

A win is a win is a win as URI squeaks by a lousy Fordham team thanks to Tyrese who stepped up without Cyril & a slightly banged up Dowtin. Now get the hell out of the Bronx ASAP & head home to take on the Billikens Sunday afternoon. Even with a healthy Cyril & Dowtin, URI needs to play better, especially on the defensive end, if they expect to beat Saint Louis. Fordham shot 45% from the field & 44% from 3 which is much better than their usual 37% & 31% respectively. Saint Louis has been playing well as of late with 3 double digit wins in their last 4 games. Over the last 5 games they have been shooting the ball at 52.2%. They are the only team in the A10 to make Dayton sweat it out. The Rams must contain Jordan Goodwin, who is their leading scorer & rebounder. Was very surprised to see he is averaging more boards than Hassan French. Once that shot goes up Rhody will need to put a body on him, especially when the Billikens have the ball since he is averaging over 3 offensive boards a game. Keep an eye on Javonte Perkins, who has been coming on as of late, averaging 21 points over his last 7 games. URi has won 11 of the last 13 contests, so they have that on their side. This is going to be a battle & assuming Cyril can play, I see Rhody coming out on top, 73-67. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
20-8, 9-6 in the A10
Last season: 23-13, 10-8 in the A10

Rankings:
RPI: 51
KenPom: 84
NCAA NET: 69
BPI: 107

Leaders :
Points – Jordan Goodwin, 15.5 (Jr., G)
Rebounds – Jordan Goodwin, 10.5 (Jr., F)
Assists – Yuri Collins, 5.4 (Fr., G) (3.2 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 13-7
H: 6-2, A: 6-5, N: 1-0
Most Recent Matchup: 2/2/19 65-54 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 83.1% Chance of URI Winning
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: 3/1 | Saint Louis | 2:00PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by adam914 »

Two words...
5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Must win.
5 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I'm glad you mentioned Perkins. Obviously, French and Goodwin get all the attention, but Perkins will be a problem. He's a good shooter and will be tough to defend if you forget about him.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Running out of opportunities to secure an at large bid.

Davidson was a missed opportunity, which is unfortunate, but excusable.

Fordham was absolutely must win. Win by one point or 100 pts, anything but a loss was fine. A loss would have been the end of any hopes for an at large bid.

This team needs to win two of the last three, they cannot rely on a win against Dayton. A win against the Bilikens would set up a very doable situation with the final two games of the season going into the A-10 Tourney.

St. Louis won't roll over for this. They are 20-8 themselves and will come in with a chip on their shoulder. Rhody has significant nagging injuries. Gut check time on Sunday.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........Team Rankings has us at 73% to Dance, with 22-8 and 14-4....76% chance for #56 ranked URI to beat #104 ranked SLU.......Go Rhody......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Thank God this is a home game.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This will be the first game in over 2 weeks at the RC. Will be nice to finally see the team play in person again. I hope it's LOUD.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Cyril sounds ready.

1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Looks like the big man will be good to go.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Thank God we need the beast that is known as Cyril Langevine
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

MUST WIN
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hope the extra day helps, cause we need all the help we can get.

Cox said right now Cyril is 50/50. Jeff has been gimpy.

I fear these injuries will linger the rest of the year. How much they linger could doom us.

Glad to see Toppin, Long and Martin improve so much lately. They are stepping up accordingly.

Will be huge if we can just get a little more from JH and Walker. I dont think Walker has been as bad as some think. He at least puts points on the board and makes a couple plays defensively a game.

More important than all that is that Fatts needs to get his groove back. He needs to start playing like the game changer he can be. He's a baby Iverson and I think we need some of that if we are going to get where we want. If the other guys just play to the level they have been and Fatts takes it up a notch like we know we can, we will beat the Billikens.

This is it right here.

How big are our balls?
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Hope the extra day helps, cause we need all the help we can get.

I fear these injuries will linger the rest of the year. How much they linger could doom us.

Glad to see Toppin, Long and Martin improve so much lately. They are stepping up accordingly.

Will be huge if we can just get a little more from JH and Walker. I dont think Walker has been as bad as some think. He at least puts points on the board and makes a couple plays defensively a game.

More important than all that is that Fatts needs to get his groove back. He needs to start playing like the game changer he can be. He's a baby Iverson and I think we need some of that if we are going to get where we want. If the other guys just play to the level they have been and Fatts takes it up a notch like we know we can, we will beat the Billikens.

This is it right here.

How big are our balls?
Need both Langevine and Dowtin. No chance to win without those two.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Hope the extra day helps, cause we need all the help we can get.

This is it right here.

How big are our balls?
Need both Langevine and Dowtin. No chance to win without those two.
They are both going to play. Just don't know how effective they'll be banged up.

Could use a raucous sellout crowd too.
1 x
TulaneGradRamFan
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TulaneGradRamFan »

If I was advising the staff and the team about how they could heal the fastest from injuries, I would definitely urge them to have Comfrey tincture on hand for healing from all kinds of injuries including broken bones, tissue. rashes and even stomach disorders - and it is a great pain reliever.

For anyone that wants to read nearly 500 testimonials on Comfrey, they can go to Amazon.com and look up Dr. Christopher's Comfrey Root Extract Liquid (tincture) or Ointment and read the reviews. For that matter they can read even more similar reviews from other sellers of Comfrey on Amazon. Comfrey (leaf and root) simply works no matter who distills it and packages it.

I'm sure some of the health food stores in Rhode Island must carry it. If I were Fatts, I'd be making a compress out of it with a washcloth soaked in a strong Comfrey tea made from the root and leaf and leaving it on my eye for as long and as often as possible and if I were Jeff, I'd be doing foot soaks with it. Or both of them could rub the ointment or tincture into the skin on or near the injury.

Some may know that Dr. John Christopher was a famous Naturopathic Doctor and Master Herbalist, author and teacher and the only medic in World War ll in the Army allowed to use herbs on the patients he was treating due to some of what were thought to be near miraculous healings- not achievable with western medicine - he performed on patients using whole herbs grown in Nature. Here is a little of his background and a few testimonials from patients
https://www.herballegacy.com/ComfreyTestimonials.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SLU is dead last in FT Shooting among 350 NCAA D1 Teams

F809869E-6338-4DB6-B777-D4AA9655AD50.png
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......nice coaching Travis......hack-a-Billiken......quick marketing, offer free Gansett Wraps for two SLU for two free missed in row in second half....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Like it or not we will need JH to hold his own in this game. They play French and Bell Jr together at times and both are too big/strong for Toppin, and even Walker though his strength will give him a punchers chance. SLU is by far the most physical team in our league, and we will need a strong effort from the big 3 to pull it out. Hopefully injuries aren't a factor. Go Rhody!
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Like it or not we will need JH to hold his own in this game. They play French and Bell Jr together at times and both are too big/strong for Toppin, and even Walker though his strength will give him a punchers chance. SLU is by far the most physical team in our league, and we will need a strong effort from the big 3 to pull it out. Hopefully injuries aren't a factor. Go Rhody!
Good game for JH to use up his fouls!

Say we are in the last few minutes of the game and JH has struggled. I think you still put him out there to at least play aggressive defense and not care about fouling because these guys cannot make foul shots.

If you have watched them, you'll know they are absolutely grotesque from the foul line. Most of the shots aren't even close.

If we are in a close game late, we should exploit this issue they have and win the damn thing.

That being said, if they were closer to average at the foul line, they would likely have at least one maybe two wins over Dayton right now. This is a tournament level team. Good thing for us they're an abomination at the foul line.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Like it or not we will need JH to hold his own in this game. They play French and Bell Jr together at times and both are too big/strong for Toppin, and even Walker though his strength will give him a punchers chance. SLU is by far the most physical team in our league, and we will need a strong effort from the big 3 to pull it out. Hopefully injuries aren't a factor. Go Rhody!

Say we are in the last few minutes of the game and JH has struggled. I think you still put him out there to at least play aggressive defense and not care about fouling because these guys cannot make foul shots.

If you have watched them, you'll know they are absolutely grotesque from the foul line. Most of the shots aren't even close.

If we are in a close game late, we should exploit this issue they have and win the damn thing.

That being said, if they were closer to average at the foul line, they would likely have at least one maybe two wins over Dayton right now. This is a tournament level team. Good thing for us they're an abomination at the foul line.
If we had more than 8 players, fouling could be part of the strategy.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

Dadika time.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dadika time.
Green time
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Dadika time.
Green time
Where's Randy Wilds when we need him?

On second thought, he'd be playing serious minutes with our lack of inside presence.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago

Dadika time.
Green time
Where's Randy Wilds when we need him?

On second thought, he'd be playing serious minutes with our lack of inside presence.
Setting stone like wall picks at half court.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Dadika time.
Green time
Catch Kyle Murphy on his way back from the combine. He'll put French and Goodwin in the 300's.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From SLU Game Day Thread for URI...

slu72 slu72
Posted Thursday at 07:30 PM
Not trying to start a GDT 3 days before the game. Just saying this is a big game for the Bills. We can move up in the NET and gain a lot of confidence going forward. I think it has become the most important game we've played all year.

slu72
Posted 23 hours ago
At this stage of the season, I would say URI is our biggest game. A W inches us closer to that magical 4th place finish if we can get some help from other teams. Of course, a W also sets the stage for the final against St. B's as the battle for the 4th place finish. An L kind of blows up everything unless we get lots of help from other teams. Never a good position to be in.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rhody has to get back on track here. Tough team coming in.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Any updates on Cyril and Jeff?
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

We really need to shoot well from the outside this game. Even if Cyril plays , he will
not be 100 % and we will be challenged inside. French would be tough to handle
even if Cyril was healthy and Goodwin is the leading rebounder in the A10.
This is going to be a tough game and we can't afford to lose.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This may just be overthinking, but with the game on ESPNU, the commentators will use Lunardi’s bracket while talking about us, and it’ll have us in the tournament on national tv.

All press is good press.
2 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago We really need to shoot well from the outside this game. Even if Cyril plays , he will
Did Cyril tell you he won't be 100%? Otherwise, how do you know that?
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

No concrete information on my part,just an assumption. If your injured enough to sit on Wednesday
You will probably tough it out on Sunday because the game is so important but it's unlikely your 100% healed.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Everyone needs to and will play through minor injuries this time of year. Especially seniors.
0 x
GO RAMS
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Of course which is why he will play and give his best effort
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago No concrete information on my part,just an assumption. If your injured enough to sit on Wednesday
You will probably tough it out on Sunday because the game is so important but it's unlikely your 100% healed.
OK. My assumption is he was 99% on Weds, sat precautionary and will be 110% on Sunday.
1 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

I like your scenario better. I’m hoping your
Right!
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago We really need to shoot well from the outside this game. Even if Cyril plays , he will
Did Cyril tell you he won't be 100%? Otherwise, how do you know that?
Not one guy on any team is 100% at this point of the season.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I expect Fatts to have a good game tomorrow. I see him drawing a lot of contact due to STL’s physicality.
3 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Some home cooking is just what THE RAMS need.

GO RHODY!
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

We are talking more about PC than our own game...Wake up everyone.... We have a HUGE game tomorrow!!!

Fordham was tough, but I loved what I saw out of Toppin and Long. I also don’t agree with the negative remarks on Walker.

I want to see Toppin go 1 on 1 more. His pull up game is beautiful. Once he improves his handle and slashing the sky is the limit.

Long does so many things well. He has confidence in his defense but you can tell he's hesitant on the offensive end. Keep shooting!

Walker has some very good moments and some very bad moments. People on this board need to give the kid some time to develop. He’s a great piece.

I expect all three of these guys to make an impact tomorrow.

Go Rhody!!
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
UD90
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by UD90 »

Huge URI fan today! Beat SLU!
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Need this one bad most of the other bubble teams are doing well and we need to hold serve
1 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

UD90 wrote: 4 years ago Huge URI fan today! Beat SLU!
Tommorow and looking like your Flyers will be top 3 in the nation coming to Kingston.
1 x
UD90
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by UD90 »

Ah. ESPNU at 2. Nice. Play well! Rooting for two A10 single digit seeds.
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Writing is on the wall after today’s results

WIN OR GO HOME

MUST WIN
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

It's not like we are a good FT shooting team.
Fatts in a late season swoon.
Harris is AWOL.
Cyril upper body problem limits his physicality.
Jeff is gimpy which compromises his quickness.
Toppin and Long are a year away.
Tyrese is a gamer, but can he overcome the above by himself?
We need help from STL to win this one.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Just go out and win the effin game

Every other bubble team is winning

NO
EXCUSES

LETS