'21 MD SG - Brandon Murray (LSU ---> Georgetown)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '20 MD SG - Brandon Murray (Offer)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago Top 10 makes more sense when there is a ton of time between then and your decision. But if you're a transfer or the decision is around the corner, it's more of a problem.

Transfers should have learned enough during their time in school to know exactly what they are looking for. Top 5 at most.
He isn’t a transfer and his recruiting blew up this winter based on his performance during the High School season.
He also was put in an unusual situation because he was planning on unofficial and official visits after his season was over.
It’s a challenging situation to pick a school without visits and face-to-face time with the coach.
If he is going to select one school by April 25th, it does seem it would be reasonable to narrow it to 5 schools on April 5th.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Too bad the University can't spend money on a (disinfected) car service to transport him back and worth from URI to get a visit. Have him stay in one of the dorms (disinfect before and after he leaves).
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Too bad the University can't spend money on a (disinfected) car service to transport him back and worth from URI to get a visit. Have him stay in one of the dorms (disinfect before and after he leaves).
The NCAA stated that no on campus or off campus visits are allowed. It is a Dead Period. It has nothing to due with URI “spending money”. It is an NCAA violation.
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Didn't mean for it to come off like we were being cheap, I meant too bad they won't allow it.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

It definitely won’t be Georgetown for Brandon Murray and I couldn’t credibly say where he will land. I don’t even think he has a sense of where he might be four months from now. Murray will be unable to take any of his official visits due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Murray told Rivals.com that the Hoyas are no longer recruiting him. He is primarily focused on DePaul, Georgia, Memphis, Ole Miss and Rhode Island. Of the group, I would say DePaul, Georgia and Ole Miss have the best chance.
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... t-syracuse
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The longer Georgia waits to offer the better for us. Ole Miss is loaded at SG. We have 1 SG on the roster in Leggett.
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

I spoke to a source last night who is close to Brandon, he said "there is a good chance" he ends up here and that Cox has made a great impression in the past few weeks in developing a relationship with Brandon..
12 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That is good news. We get him, and that leaves one spot left.

For a big, for sure.

At this time, who do we have a shot with?

We need someone who can play right away.

Another Iverson type as a grad transfer or juco?
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago The longer Georgia waits to offer the better for us. Ole Miss is loaded at SG. We have 1 SG on the roster in Leggett.
Martin also unless you think he won’t play this year due to transfer rule or think he is more of a wing than shooting guard.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think Malik will be playing the 3 a lot with Tyrese gone, and Toppin getting stronger will be playing the 4 more often.

We get Brandon and we will be stocked at guard.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I think Malik will be playing the 3 a lot with Tyrese gone, and Toppin getting stronger will be playing the 4 more often.

I just don’t think Toppin is a good option at the 4 on a consistent basis. I think he would have a lot of trouble on defense until he bulks up. Depending upon the transfer rule-Harris and Waller would man the 4 with the twins at the 5 and some 4. If the rule doesn’t pass I guess he may have to play more power forward.
0 x
LamonteUlmer15
Michael Andersen

Unread post by LamonteUlmer15 »

This kid reminds me so much of Jared Terell.. with the added bonus that he is 6’5 and can standing dunk
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

LamonteUlmer15 wrote: 4 years ago This kid reminds me so much of Jared Terell.. with the added bonus that he is 6’5 and can standing dunk
I said this same thing to myself when watching a bunch of his full in game replays. The way he carries himself and the style of play and mannerisms reminded me so much of Terrell. Obviously at his current age a little taller and more athletic. But boy does that kid have a smooth jumper and can really jump out the gym.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

When is he expected to make a decision?
0 x
GO RAMS
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago When is he expected to make a decision?
4/25/2020
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

"Posting @ 8"
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Yay...a top 10.

Can’t wait....

....yay.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We'd better at least be on this.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago We'd better at least be on this.
Without a doubt. I guarantee at least half of the 10 he won’t even have offers from.

But maybe since G’town dropped off, it will be a top 8 or 6
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Yay...a top 10.

Can’t wait....

....yay.
Given these kids got cheated out of official visits I'm all for supporting the process of extra announcements and videos.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I think Malik will be playing the 3 a lot with Tyrese gone, and Toppin getting stronger will be playing the 4 more often.

I just don’t think Toppin is a good option at the 4 on a consistent basis. I think he would have a lot of trouble on defense until he bulks up. Depending upon the transfer rule-Harris and Waller would man the 4 with the twins at the 5 and some 4. If the rule doesn’t pass I guess he may have to play more power forward.
Eh, I think Toppin would have struggled 10 years ago, but now? It's rare that a team has one strong post-up option, never mind two. And if they do have that kind of player, I doubt that player would have the speed to cover Tobbin up and down the court, or on the perimeter. If the twins are ineligible or unavailable, I'd rather have Toppin get most of the minutes at the 3 and 4, with Walker and Harris getting the minutes at the 5 and back-up 4.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago

Eh, I think Toppin would have struggled 10 years ago, but now? It's rare that a team has one strong post-up option, never mind two. And if they do have that kind of player, I doubt that player would have the speed to cover Tobbin up and down the court, or on the perimeter. If the twins are ineligible or unavailable, I'd rather have Toppin get most of the minutes at the 3 and 4, with Walker and Harris getting the minutes at the 5 and back-up 4.
Walker isn’t getting any minutes at the 5. He would get destroyed. They may have no choice if this is the way it plays out which make for a pretty challenging year. Not sure Harris would love playing the 5. I get the position less basketball if today, but hopefully the Mitchell twins and Martin are eligible. Toppin’s best position is the 3
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

That post about posting at 8 was deleted
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago That post about posting at 8 was deleted
So was his picture with his list of teams.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Damn it I want to see his final list
1 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Maybe someone in his inner circle told him he would be better off cutting it down to 5 teams instead of a pointless 10 team list.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago That post about posting at 8 was deleted
So was his picture with his list of teams.
What was the list?
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Screenshot_20200407-203744.png
I believe he was referring to this pic could be wrong.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Actually, it's still on twitter. The one that's been up a few days.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

yeah that’s just all his offers. Not a Top 10
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago

Walker isn’t getting any minutes at the 5. He would get destroyed. They may have no choice if this is the way it plays out which make for a pretty challenging year. Not sure Harris would love playing the 5. I get the position less basketball if today, but hopefully the Mitchell twins and Martin are eligible. Toppin’s best position is the 3
Are people forgetting that we made the tourney 2 years in a row with a 4 guard line up and guys playing center who were generously 6’6”

Load up on good guards and we will “get through” next year. We have two post players in JH and Walker (both of whom will likely improve upon this year) plus Toppin and DJ, so we have length on the perimeter unlike our latest tourney teams.

Load up on good guards who can shoot the ball in the freakin hoop and we will be more than fine - top 4 A10 again easily. Murray fits the bill.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago Maybe someone in his inner circle told him he would be better off cutting it down to 5 teams instead of a pointless 10 team list.
Wow complete guess on my part, but makes complete sense.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago
Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago Maybe someone in his inner circle told him he would be better off cutting it down to 5 teams instead of a pointless 10 team list.
He is not rated on the 247sports Recruit list that ranks the Top 471 Players for 2020.
Guess everybody makes Top 16 or Top 10 or Top 5 or Top 4 or Top 3 lists now. Amazing.

I’ll be sitting on the edge of my seat at 1pm for the big announcement. Never mind that it’s late in the recruiting cycle to be recruiting 2020 players.
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
He is not rated on the 247sports Recruit list that ranks the Top 471 Players for 2020.
Guess everybody makes Top 16 or Top 10 or Top 5 or Top 4 or Top 3 lists now. Amazing.

I’ll be sitting on the edge of my seat at 1pm for the big announcement. Never mind that it’s late in the recruiting cycle to be recruiting 2020 players.
Kid would be the best recruit we have landed since Terrell IMO
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
Georgia, Ole Miss, Memphis, URI and DePaul.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So why isn’t he ranked anywhere?
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Late bloomer. Kid is special.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Late bloomer. Kid is special.
Ok

https://247sports.com/Player/Brandon-Murray-46099866/
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Scored 44 against IMG. Started the game 17-17 from the field.

Look how many offer he received in less than a month.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We don't recruit top 100 4 year players anymore.

Even top 200's are a stretch.

Looking more and more like we will have to revert to the Al Skinner method of trying to find diamonds in the rough...late bloomers as DC said.

He did that pretty well as we know.

When it works its great, but its likely a risk Cox has to take. And we've seen already that when it fails, it fails big.

As in ineligible players, overrated players, players who have no loyalty and transfer, etc.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Every year in April and May offers generate in big numbers as the pickings for that recruiting year get slimmer and slimmer. Teams are needing to fill out their rosters with fewer candidates available so bidding wars can erupt. Hurley would wrap up recruiting in November his later years at URI.

Look at the big name schools for Berry and he ends up at Toledo.

Just wondering why 44 points vs IMG and 17-17 from the field would not get him ranked in the Top 471 players.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Actually 21 vs IMG, 44 was against City.

But I’m impressed. Sold me. :D

Murray, who scored a career-high 44 points in Poly’s win over City earlier in the week, was instrumental in the key stretch. He scored nine points, hitting a 3-pointer and then beating the buzzer on a layup following a steal and assist from Ali.
P – Ali 3, Lewis 20, Murray 21, Evans 16, Lindsay 2. Totals: 18 21-28 62

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/hig ... story.html
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Every year in April and May offers generate in big numbers as the pickings for that recruiting year get slimmer and slimmer. Teams are needing to fill out their rosters with fewer candidates available so bidding wars can erupt. Hurley would wrap up recruiting in November his later years at URI.

Look at the big name schools for Berry and he ends up at Toledo.

Just wondering why 44 points vs IMG and 17-17 from the field would not get him ranked in the Top 471 players.
Berry didn’t have any big name offers.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Actually 21 vs IMG, 44 was against City.

But I’m impressed. Sold me. :D

Murray, who scored a career-high 44 points in Poly’s win over City earlier in the week, was instrumental in the key stretch. He scored nine points, hitting a 3-pointer and then beating the buzzer on a layup following a steal and assist from Ali.
P – Ali 3, Lewis 20, Murray 21, Evans 16, Lindsay 2. Totals: 18 21-28 62

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/hig ... story.html
My bad, you’re right.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I have a buddy who watches a ton of high school ball and he saw Murray play once.

He told me "He was the best player on the floor. Obviously his shot is a thing of beauty but I was very surprised by his hops. He had one highlight dunk. I can't believe he's not being offered by bigger schools. He would be a steal for Rhody"
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago I have a buddy who watches a ton of high school ball and he saw Murray play once.

He told me "He was the best player on the floor. Obviously his shot is a thing of beauty but I was very surprised by his hops. He had one highlight dunk. I can't believe he's not being offered by bigger schools. He would be a steal for Rhody"
I’ve seen him play several times. The first few times, I literally just assumed he had already committed to a P5. When I started to search his name on recruiting sites and nothing was coming up I thought I was spelling his name wrong. It wasn’t until the end of the season that I realized he had NO OFFERS. Safe to say, all that changed quickly after he scored 44 and coaches started seeing his highlight tapes. We will quickly forget about Martin if we nab him. It may not bear fruit day one, but it will bear fruit.
4 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

If these end up being the five does anyone have a read on what the other teams involved have coming back at the shooting guard or wing spots and what they have got for commitmentsor are still actively pursuing? This is no easy list to get a commitment from even with Cox stepping up his relationship and putting a lot of time in with with Murray.
0 x
LamonteUlmer15
Michael Andersen

Unread post by LamonteUlmer15 »

We would be in great shape for ‘21 if we get this kid, not to say he wouldn’t contribute from day one.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

If these end up being the five does anyone have a read on what the other teams involved have coming back at the shooting guard or wing spots and what they have got for commitmentsor are still actively pursuing? This is no easy list to get a commitment from even with Cox stepping up his relationship and putting a lot of time in with with Murray.
Check the 247 link a few posts above.

Memphis and Georgia haven’t offered yet but you can look them up on the site as well
0 x