'21 MD SG - Brandon Murray (LSU ---> Georgetown)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Re: '20 MD SG - Brandon Murray (Offer)

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

The Na'vi are performing a ritual as we speak. Eywa will tell us if Murray is coming here.

1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

CamsRams wrote: 4 years ago DC - any intel?
He’ll commit here then transfer to an ACC school after the year.
1 x
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

No intel on this one.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
CamsRams wrote: 4 years ago DC - any intel?
He’ll commit here then transfer to an ACC school after the year.
That's actually pretty smart, if he did that. Either stay, or leap for a better offer. I can't honestly blame the players when they are smart about things.

In that sense, immediate playing time is the biggest sell.
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

"He’ll commit here then transfer to an ACC school after the year."

Rhody15 just tries to ruin every thread on the board. The dude is a PC troll.
Go away.
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago "He’ll commit here then transfer to an ACC school after the year."

Rhody15 just tries to ruin every thread on the board. The dude is a PC troll.
Go away.
I don't think he's trolling...he just making a joke of what to expect with the new 'normal'

We cant get attached to any of these kids coming in, they could be gone the following season
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hope we get him.

But pardon me if my excitement level is somewhat lower after today's news about Toppin...transfer no. 50,000 and counting.
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Why do a prep year to show what you have, when you can play freshman year in the A10 in a top 100 team?
Maybe we will master the one and done (to P5 rather than NBA) with the new transfer rule.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Read between the lines on this comment. If he ever picked URI it would be a pit stop to bigger and better things. He might go the prep route so he doesn’t have to settle for a URI and go the route that the rest of the players here have gone.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

With the new rules I think we rather him come here for a year and have him blow up then he leaves and we try to get a replacement, rather than not come here at all ??
2 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

We absolutely will take a player for a year and hope he blows up.
Every team now needs to follow the Duke recipe - the target is to build a team that succeeds this upcoming year.
If we can have a few core guys that stay four years, great. If we can't, then just reload with transfers.
With this model, you cannot be afraid to dump a player if they don't pan out. That will become much more overt.
That is what the player market looks like with the new rules. The currency is playing time.

We will also become for high school players what we have always been for coaches - a stepping stone to a higher level.
You are now going to basically be recruiting for 4-5 spots every year no matter of graduation rate.
What do you need in this market? First and foremost, a coach and staff with wide reaching connections.
Like Rothstein's article said, every handshake line is now an opportunity to recruit.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I don’t see anything anywhere that is saying a commitment is coming.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago We absolutely will take a player for a year and hope he blows up.
Every team now needs to follow the Duke recipe - the target is to build a team that succeeds this upcoming year.
If we can have a few core guys that stay four years, great. If we can't, then just reload with transfers.
With this model, you cannot be afraid to dump a player if they don't pan out. That will become much more overt.
That is what the player market looks like with the new rules. The currency is playing time.

We will also become for high school players what we have always been for coaches - a stepping stone to a higher level.
You are now going to basically be recruiting for 4-5 spots every year no matter of graduation rate.
What do you need in this market? First and foremost, a coach and staff with wide reaching connections.
Like Rothstein's article said, every handshake line is now an opportunity to recruit.

CAN'T SHAKE HANDS ANYMORE !
1 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I don’t see anything anywhere that is saying a commitment is coming.
He's going prep route announcing later today.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Looks like we're moving on from him....and Odisupe not looking good either I guess.....

With 2 openings [currently] got to focus on transfers now.

A big and a wing.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Surprised he would go prep route
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I guess he didn't get that Georgia offer he really wanted.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He wants more P5 offers imo…..he thinks a big prep year will help to get them.

Anyway, if he comes here and leaves after a year, do we need or want that?

Maybe he really wants to go to a school that he will stay at? Can't blame him for that.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I don't blame him for anything.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

From now going forward, as far as basketball goes, aren't we considered to be a prep school?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Wait, so y’all Saying our current no 1 target is choosing prep school over our Rams?

What?

Really? This is good how?

Help me understand.
Last edited by hrstrat57 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Wait, so y’all Saying our current no 1 target is choosing prep school over our Rams?

What?

Really? This is good?
If he's planning on going P5 and using URI as a launch pad to do it, yes I would prefer he just go prep.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Wait, so y’all Saying our current no 1 target is choosing prep school over our Rams?

What?

Really? This is good?
If he's planning on going P5 and using URI as a launch pad to do it, yes I would prefer he just go prep.
Get used to it.
1 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

What?

Really? This is good how?

Help me understand.
When we took Tres Berry's commitment, it was likely the recruitment of Murray was over for whatever reason. The narrative that interest was re-ignited by Toppin's transfer was speculation by the board.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

So do we have an active scholarship offer on the table for this player or not?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Right now it looks as if our small forward is Malik, am I missing someone. If Murray is really 6'5", wouldn't he fit in nicely sharing that spot with Martin?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We could sure use another Malik Martin type.....can we clone him?
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

It would seem crazy to bring in four freshman guards but if Fatts went pro and the transfer rule does not get changed making Martin not available there actually could be a lot of playing time up for grabs.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Doesn't seem like Murray is interested in Hooterville....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago It would seem crazy to bring in four freshman guards but if Fatts went pro and the transfer rule does not get changed making Martin not available there actually could be a lot of playing time up for grabs.
Think of both Murray and Martin as 3's, in reality they would replace Toppin and Tyrese. That will be a big need next year.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago It would seem crazy to bring in four freshman guards but if Fatts went pro and the transfer rule does not get changed making Martin not available there actually could be a lot of playing time up for grabs.
We obviously won’t have a good year if the transfer rule doesn’t pass as we would be in huge trouble in the front court, but the one good thing is we could throw all the freshman to the wolves and get them experience on the fly while preserving 2 more years of Martin and 3 for the Twins who would than join them the following year. This would not be a very good team from a wins/loses standpoint, but at least we could get everyone experience. I’m not one that enjoys a .500 or slightly above that record which includes no shot of a tourney bid. The other positive thing would be that Tyrese and Toppin would have to sit out next year from a selfish standpoint. Obviously this wouldn’t be a good thing for win/loses, but at least these guys could grow together thru difficult times and build a relationship that obviously hasn’t been at URI the last 12-15 months. The rule will most likely pass anyway so this isn’t going to be something that we won’t be looking at anyway.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
We obviously won’t have a good year if the transfer rule doesn’t pass as we would be in huge trouble in the front court, but the one good thing is we could throw all the freshman to the wolves and get them experience on the fly while preserving 2 more years of Martin and 3 for the Twins who would than join them the following year. This would not be a very good team from a wins/loses standpoint, but at least we could get everyone experience. I’m not one that enjoys a .500 or slightly above that record which includes no shot of a tourney bid. The other positive thing would be that Tyrese and Toppin would have to sit out next year from a selfish standpoint. Obviously this wouldn’t be a good thing for win/loses, but at least these guys could grow together thru difficult times and build a relationship that obviously hasn’t been at URI the last 12-15 months. The rule will most likely pass anyway so this isn’t going to be something that we won’t be looking at anyway.
Then how many of our freshmen transfer after getting lots of playing time?
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
Then how many of our freshmen transfer after getting lots of playing time?
Just looking at it from a positive approach for once. I’m not saying it is a great scenario. 😀
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What school Murray land at ??
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

No where yet
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

There is talk he will prep to raise his stock.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I do not really understand wanting to go to prep school if you are planning on being a pro athlete someday. If you go prep and go to college for 4 years then you are costing yourself one year of getting paid. If you go prep and then attend less than 4 years of college you faced inferior competition the prep year than you would have faced in college. I understand it more if a player wants to get their academics together.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago I do not really understand wanting to go to prep school if you are planning on being a pro athlete someday. If you go prep and go to college for 4 years then you are costing yourself one year of getting paid. If you go prep and then attend less than 4 years of college you faced inferior competition the prep year than you would have faced in college. I understand it more if a player wants to get their academics together.

not saying i disagree with you, but..limited sample size, of our two most successful NBAers (Odom and Mobley), half of them took this route.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Yeah, but, does Murray have academic issues? Because prep school usually indicates not able to get it done in the class room even moreso than not being where you want to be on the court (Odom).

Cuttino Mobley was at Maine Central Institute when it was a power house prep school along with Sean Colson and a host of others. Al Skinner managed to get Sean Colson, who was the bigger of the two recruits in name, and we got Cuttino to come also, almost a package deal. There was talk of them being the backcourt of the future (similar to what we are saying now, with the present recruits), but Cuttino redshirted and Tyson Wheeler beat out Sean, and the rest is history.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I thought I'd remembered reading that Murray is a good student.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Well, then it doesn't sound like a great move. With all of the transfers, it would seem to be a tighter proposition for freshman going forward, but I guess we will see.
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

8pm tonight
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Today the NCAA announced changes to NCAA eligibility for the class of 2020 due to the Corona Virus. The major change was not required test scores for incoming freshman. There is a chance that Murray had made a decision, but wasn't going to be eligible, thus the prep school route being discussed. With changes made today, he may now be eligible and able to select a school.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Do we have any kind of chance here or we totally out ???
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Bos8 wrote: 4 years ago Today the NCAA announced changes to NCAA eligibility for the class of 2020 due to the Corona Virus. The major change was not required test scores for incoming freshman. There is a chance that Murray had made a decision, but wasn't going to be eligible, thus the prep school route being discussed. With changes made today, he may now be eligible and able to select a school.
good looking out! Maybe we are getting him
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I wouldn't think he'd be making an announcement that he's going to prep school, would he? He must be picking a college.
0 x