The 2021 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

The 2021 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by section(105) »

.......saw a ESPN report where a John Beilein is expected to be out in Cleveland......wonder where he will land......?
Last edited by section(105) 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The 2019 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Blue Man »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......saw a ESPN report where a John Beilein is expected to be out in Cleveland......wonder where he will land......?
Some guys are great college coaches...but that doesn't translate to the pros. You can't be the "disciplinarian" with multi-millionaire professionals. No idea why he left Michigan in the first place.

If Shaka is out at Texas, I would think that'd be a landing spot for him.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......saw a ESPN report where a John Beilein is expected to be out in Cleveland......wonder where he will land......?
Some guys are great college coaches...but that doesn't translate to the pros. You can't be the "disciplinarian" with multi-millionaire professionals. No idea why he left Michigan in the first place.

or Indiana if they expedite Archie's termination. Interested to see if Archie and Shaka end up back at this level or just take a less desirable high major job. Something like Wake Forest/Georgia Tech for Shaka and DePaul for Archie.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

And Beilein's strength is one-on-one skills coaching, which doesn't happen in the NBA.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A-10 Coaching Ranks

There had been building heat at Richmond but this season has likely saved Chris Mooney. I have seen some fan unhappiness with Dave Paulsen at GMU. The Patriots program has yet to really do well since joining the A-10. Hewitt failed and Paulsen has not succeeded to date. Some fans think Neubauer at Fordham could be out this year as another rearrangement of the Titanic deck chairs may be in order. The young talent at UMass may save McCall for another year but he remains vulnerable. All the other coaches look to be safe from firing. Some of these however could be possible candidates for higher profile jobs.

New England Coaching Ranks

Jim Christian's status at Boston College always seems to be on shaky ground. The Eagles are currently 13-13 in a down year for the ACC. Coaches such as Becker at UVM and Coen at Northeastern always seem to get mentions for moving up most years and this season may be no different.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Any chance Beiline retires ?? He is 67
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Well, it also helps if you don't call them "thugs," although he walked that back / claimed he didn't say that.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago A-10 Coaching Ranks

There had been building heat at Richmond but this season has likely saved Chris Mooney. I have seen some fan unhappiness with Dave Paulsen at GMU. The Patriots program has yet to really do well since joining the A-10. Hewitt failed and Paulsen has not succeeded to date. Some fans think Neubauer at Fordham could be out this year as another rearrangement of the Titanic deck chairs may be in order. The young talent at UMass may save McCall for another year but he remains vulnerable. All the other coaches look to be safe from firing. Some of these however could be possible candidates for higher profile jobs.
Yeah for the A-10, I think this is how I'd rank most likely to get fired:

1. Neubauer (Fordham)
2. Paulsen (George Mason)
3. McCall (UMass)
4. Everyone else (no other coaches will get fired)
1 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

wind it up. Time for the merry-go-round
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago

or Indiana if they expedite Archie's termination. Interested to see if Archie and Shaka end up back at this level or just take a less desirable high major job. Something like Wake Forest/Georgia Tech for Shaka and DePaul for Archie.
Anthony Grant has a run to the Elite 8 or beyond, and a P5 comes calling again. Archie Miller gets bought out at Indiana and goes back to Dayton. Stranger things have happened.

Seriously, the Athletic had a great article on Beilein's situation the other day:

https://theathletic.com/1615793/2020/02 ... n-college/
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Anthony Grant player at Dayton
He just might like it there
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
Section104 wrote: 4 years ago

Anthony Grant has a run to the Elite 8 or beyond, and a P5 comes calling again. Archie Miller gets bought out at Indiana and goes back to Dayton. Stranger things have happened.

Seriously, the Athletic had a great article on Beilein's situation the other day:

https://theathletic.com/1615793/2020/02 ... n-college/
Leaving a mid-major (VCU - CAA at the time) once and getting fired by a P5 (Alabama) is okay the first time...I doubt he makes that jump again.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......even with Fordham being, well like Fordham, there will always be someone that is sure they can “fix” it and win there.......coaches egos are pretty up there......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Miller would be a bad fire.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......even with Fordham being, well like Fordham, there will always be someone that is sure they can “fix” it and win there.......coaches egos are pretty up there......
Exactly. Coaches have huge egos and every one of them thinks, "I can fix that."
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......even with Fordham being, well like Fordham, there will always be someone that is sure they can “fix” it and win there.......coaches egos are pretty up there......
Exactly. Coaches have huge egos and every one of them thinks, "I can fix that."
........while pissing on the leg of the AD and tell me/her it’s raining.....?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

We're probably going to be seeing Shaka Smart's name in this thread very soon.

0 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

Student Section looks lively though!
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Wow, that... That is not good
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow say it ain’t so Shaka Smart

How much was the final attendance??
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Wow say it ain’t so Shaka Smart

123. No wait, that was the over/under....(for attendance?)
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago We're probably going to be seeing Shaka Smart's name in this thread very soon.

That is what he left an always sold out Siegel center and guaranteed tournament berths every year for.
0 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Wow say it ain’t so Shaka Smart

8,395 per ESPN (51% of capacity)

seems like a good assessment..
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: The 2020 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’ll never blame him for going to one of the biggest schools in the country with literally no recruiting budget.

He left, didn’t work out, he’ll land on his feet soon enough.
1 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He been there at Texas 5 years 85-76 and 35-48 in conference with 2 big dances and no wins

At a school with higher expectations I would expect a firing ???
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I never understood Shaka going to Texas. I mean yes - unlimited budget, do whatever you want wherever you want...that sounds wicked appealing.

However - Texas is a football school. Always was, always will be. The other sports just exist and if they're not winning they get thrown out quick. If you don't win a national championship in a non-football sport no one cares. If you make say, the NCAA tournament in basketball - no one really cares either and they fire you.

Barnes got Texas to 16 NCAA appearances in 17 years. Rick Barnes was the Big 12 coach of the year the season before he was fired. Texas made the NCAA the season he was fired and lost in the first round. He was given the ultimatum to fire his assistants and he chose not to so they fired him. Doesn't sound like a super awesome environment to jump to.

VCU is a basketball school. Shaka was looked at the way Saban is looked at in Alabama. Shaka could literally do no wrong.

While I get the unlimited budget and resources part...what was VCU not giving to Shaka? VCU has one of the nicest practice facilities in the country. Rabid fanbase. Brand-recognized. Could dominate the A10 and continue to go to the NCAA, and he had already proven go to the final four or beyond.

I understand Hurley leaving for resources, because if there's one thing URI is great at doing - it's not providing resources to our basketball team. Charters, assistant coaching budget, practice facility, etc. But VCU has all of that, and they can recruit P5 talent to run roughshod in a non-P5 league.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yeah Shaka took VCU to the final 4 and then the program grew stronger and stronger after that with him.

Dan's leave to UConn makes a little more sense in regards to what Blue Man said, but you have to think if he stayed and kept winning all those changes would have inevitably been made.

Shaka leaves being a legend at VCU to be just another head coach at a football school.

For what??? Win national Titles?

You know who had been in the final four most recently??

VCU!!! and they made it because of him!

Now Dan literally has to win at least one national title at UConn or else he will be looked at as a second best coach at best at UConn.

Where if he stayed here he would be A LEGEND and his prestige would be higher nationally if he in fact made URI the Gonzaga of the east as he said he would.

Seems like Gregg Marshall is the only guy who gets it.

Hopefully David Cox gets it
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Yeah Shaka took VCU to the final 4 and then the program grew stronger and stronger after that with him.

Dan's leave to UConn makes a little more sense in regards to what Blue Man said, but you have to think if he stayed and kept winning all those changes would have inevitably been made.

Shaka leaves being a legend at VCU to be just another head coach at a football school.

Now Dan literally has to win at least one national title at UConn or else he will be looked at as a second best coach at best at UConn.

Where if he stayed here he would be A LEGEND and his prestige would be higher nationally if he in fact made URI the Gonzaga of the east as he said he would.

You mentioned the school in your post. I think Mark Few might get it too.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I still cannot understand how Gonzaga is a powerhouse.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Yeah Shaka took VCU to the final 4 and then the program grew stronger and stronger after that with him.

You mentioned the school in your post. I think Mark Few might get it too.
Yes indeed I didnt mention the King of mid major coaches.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago I still cannot understand how Gonzaga is a powerhouse.
Fun fact.

The Kennel (The Zags home arena) only seats 6,000!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

100% agree. I don't blame Dan a bit because "inevitably" is thrown around a lot around here. A "promise" is about as good as the paper it's printed on.

10-15 years ago we were recruiting football players on the promise of our inevitable new stadium.

If it were really going to be a reality, Cox would have a practice facility under construction now.

Tough to argue with Dan's logic of walking into a built, stand-alone practice facility and charter-flight hours instead of being told "some day soon" over and over again.

Shaka had all of that and then some. He built the program and he could've finally just coached it.

Few. Marshall. Certain guys do "get it" - you could even look in our own conference for examples. Chaney. Martelli. McKillop and Schmidt as well.

I never understood Archie leaving Dayton either.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

........mol-la-de......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Does anyone know how much Shaka was making when he left VCU to how much cash Texas gave him ??? Must have been the cash ??
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Me seeing this year's "Coaching Carosel" thread:

giphy (1).gif
giphy (1).gif (588.87 KiB) Viewed 12528 times
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I could see Shaka ending up at George Mason.

Please not UMass...

Also, if I was VCU and didnt make the tournament this year and saw that Texas fired Shaka.... I'd fire Rhoades and bring Shaka back...
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Does anyone know how much Shaka was making when he left VCU to how much cash Texas gave him ??? Must have been the cash ??
Shaka made $1.8 million his last year at VCU. They offered him $2.8 million to try to keep him from leaving.
He got a 7 year contract at Texas for $3.1 million/year with 6 years guaranteed. After year 1,Texas guaranteed the 7th year.
His contract goes thru the 2022-23 season.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah it’s all about the money baby . Why stay at VCU and make less when you can get that much more at a P5 with all those guaranteed years ??? Can’t say I don’t blame Shaka for leaving but if I am Texas they have the cash and should fire him ???
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Some major investments here.

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Some major investments here.

And this is exhibit A why Shaka left VCU.
0 x
Go Rhody
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Interesting contrast in these last two posts. Texas, investing a gajillion dollars in an arena and practice facility for a hoops team...and UConn, battling Ollie, mostly because they can't/don't want to pay him. I'm guessing if same sitch in TX, Ollie woulda been paid from the 'let-go' and we probably wouldn't have heard boo about it.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Why does DH get served by Ollies lawyers ?? Makes no sense ??
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

They want to see when UConn first contacted him. If it was before Ollie was fired they could be on the hook for some big bucks.

https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/articl ... 077929.php
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......does anyone actually think the UConn officials woke one morning after the Ollie firing and said, now what.....?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......does anyone actually think the UConn officials woke one morning after the Ollie firing and said, now what.....?
Nope, but it certainly would help Ollies case if there’s proof they were shopping for coaches ahead of time.
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I think URI as an institution is above this type of thing, but would the University have any fight if it is found UCONN had actively recruited Hurley while he was still under contract with us?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......does anyone actually think the UConn officials woke one morning after the Ollie firing and said, now what.....?
Nope, but it certainly would help Ollies case if there’s proof they were shopping for coaches ahead of time.
I mean it is quite clear that UConn was recruiting DH well before Ollie was fired. It’s just coincidence that Jim Calhoun starts hanging around the program? Ollie should be pissed at his mentor Calhoun who was clearly in on the scouting of Hurley.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago I think URI as an institution is above this type of thing, but would the University have any fight if it is found UCONN had actively recruited Hurley while he was still under contract with us?
Probably not, and even if we did that could be a bad look if we actually try to fight it. If the season was ongoing and they reached out (and we know they did with Calhoun and Moore) than I'd like to at least see some favorable scheduling come our way to make us whole
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am loving the mess that UConn has created in Storrs. The school has a history of being less than honorable and deserves all the crap it is now getting. If they had just fired Ollie and paid him what was due per his contract, all of this would have been avoided. They however took the slime ball route and decided to fire "with cause", not pay him, and smear one of their former players and alums. Given the previous coach had many infractions and termination was never considered tells you all you need to know. UConn had little issue with NCAA infractions. It did however have a big problem with losing and that is the real reason Ollie was fired. I hope UConn's very probable interactions with Hurley well before Ollie was fired come out in public so the school is exposed for how it really operates.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x