The Transfer Carousel - 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2020

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago What a bunch of crap. The NCAA needs to stop this madness of constant transferring and Cox needs to get a grip of this team.
How is this on the NCAA? They've even shut down most immediate eligibility waivers. The NCAA sucks - but this isn't on them.

If this winds up being true and we lose another player, this really starts to be a concern on what the hell is happening behind the scenes. Since Cox took over, this is my count for transfers:

"Hurley" Recruits:
Christion Thompson (RS Sr - grad)
Michael Tertsea (JR)
Mike Layssard (JR)
Nikola Akele (SR)

Cox Recruits:
Omar Silverio (FR)
Marial Mading (FR)
Gregory Hammond (FR)
Dana Tate (SO)
Aris Tsare38923489ioussl (FR)

Am I missing anyone? I feel like I am...but even so - that's almost a roster and bench. More scholarship players than we currently have active.

Edit: added in Aris and Akele. Jeeze.

Talent or otherwise, this is really starting to concern me. Obviously each has an individual case, that isolated makes sense, but when you look at it overall - it's a worrying trend. While sure - you could make a case that none of them were "major minutes" getters...and some we may be better of without.

But if you look at our roster at this point, are you telling me that Thompson, Mading, or Tate wouldn't be able to get minutes? If we lose a Long or God forbid a Toppin...what the hell do we do?

I don't know where to find the stats, but we've got to be near the top of the NCAA in terms of transfers/decommits in the last 2 seasons. That definitely isn't an indication of a healthy program.
Last edited by Blue Man 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

You're missing at least Aris off the top of my head
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Sorry and Nikola Akele
1 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Word is the Mitchell brothers are no longer in play at Providence and have scheduled a visit to Rhode. Have not confirmed this so take it for what it is.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

CaptainRon wrote: 4 years ago Word is the Mitchell brothers are no longer in play at Providence and have scheduled a visit to Rhode. Have not confirmed this so take it for what it is.
not sure that helps for next year though
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

CaptainRon wrote: 4 years ago Word is the Mitchell brothers are no longer in play at Providence and have scheduled a visit to Rhode. Have not confirmed this so take it for what it is.
Their mom posted it on Twitter
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

With the Mitchell twins visiting, that tells me that our big targets are doubtful at best to come here.

As for the twins, one looks to have potential, the other not so much. Looks like a package deal, like it or not.

All of this is NOT GOOD imo.

Blue Man, there has to be something going on behind the scenes with this program, with all of the players that have left.

Wonder what Thorr is thinking about this. But if you ask him, all you would get is AD speak.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago With the Mitchell twins visiting, that tells me that our big targets are doubtful at best to come here.

As for the twins, one looks to have potential, the other not so much. Looks like a package deal, like it or not.

Blue Man, there has to be something going on behind the scenes with this program, with all of the players that have left.

Wonder what Thorr is thinking about this. But if you ask him, all you would get is AD speak.
It can't hurt to talk to these kids and see if its a potential fit. I am not going to make assumptions about our other big targets. Seems like we are looking at a few of the same guys that Georgetown is considering.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago With the Mitchell twins visiting, that tells me that our big targets are doubtful at best to come here.

It can't hurt to talk to these kids and see if its a potential fit. I am not going to make assumptions about our other big targets. Seems like we are looking at a few of the same guys that Georgetown is considering.
Why not? We have like a shit ton of schollies and no players on our team right now. The way things are going, we'll have one decommit and two transfers before next year even starts.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice news that the twins are visiting let’s pray for a miracle
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Rod's mantra applies right now...

Some people look at things as they are, and ask why. I look at how things could be, and ask why not.
3 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

The Mitchell Twins are better than any other big target on the market. Even the lesser of the two is a better all around player than any big on our roster.
2 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Tjrams91 wrote: 4 years ago

The Mitchell Twins are better than any other big target on the market. Even the lesser of the two is a better all around player than any big on our roster.
Agreed!

GO RHODY!
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

If the transfer rules are changed and there is no longer a one year waiting period thereby creating a much more fluid situation then maybe APR needs to be a thing of the past? Is there any talk of this in the proposal?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I really don't like where NCAA men's D1 basketball is headed these days. The number of transfers is already out of hand and will surely get worse with no penalty. I can't help but think this is all another ploy by the power conferences to further corral the best players and enhance their separation from the rest of D1. They will push out any recruits that don't meet expectations at a far higher rate than now and utilize the other lower leagues as their farm system plucking their best players. They will use the chance to play in the NCAA Tournament, a system they have now rigged in their favor, as an enticement. That can be done when few schools outside the P5 and Big East are now getting at large bids. It all smells rotten to me. The NCAA loses more credibility each year. It is essentially as Red has always claimed run by a cartel.

I myself had always loved the tournament and run or been part of office pools. No more. I am fast losing interest in the tournament. I have little desire to see the 7th and 8th place teams with double digit losses from conferences playing one another. The luster of the tournament is fast eroding. The greed of a few conferences is killing it.
6 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Through their greed they will ruin the sport and people will lose interest a la boxing. People become emotionally attached to players and then there is the rigging factor.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago I really don't like where NCAA men's D1 basketball is headed these days. The number of transfers is already out of hand and will surely get worse with no penalty. I can't help but think this is all another ploy by the power conferences to further corral the best players and enhance their separation from the rest of D1. They will push out any recruits that don't meet expectations at a far higher rate than now and utilize the other lower leagues as their farm system plucking their best players. They will use the chance to play in the NCAA Tournament, a system they have now rigged in their favor, as an enticement. That can be done when few schools outside the P5 and Big East are now getting at large bids. It all smells rotten to me. The NCAA loses more credibility each year. It is essentially as Red has always claimed run by a cartel.

I myself had always loved the tournament and run or been part of office pools. No more. I am fast losing interest in the tournament. I have little desire to see the 7th and 8th place teams with double digit losses from conferences playing one another. The luster of the tournament is fast eroding. The greed of a few conferences is killing it.
I agree. There are no longer many 4 year players where you get to know the opponents players and have battles. The game is much worse than even 10 years ago
3 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I agree with these last few posts, starting with RF1.

When it happens, we need a coach in place to take advantage of this situation. So, that we can have some success in the short term. Unfortunately, if the P5 conferences have their way, the potential for any long term success is like a window that is rapidly closing.

Say what you want about Cox, but he is a good recruiter with some strong DC ties. If he can capitalize on this early on, like with the Maryland twins at the moment, perhaps we can parlay this into some success in the next three years, because magical moments could be very few and far between after that if the NCAA has it's way.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

It's going to be interesting. The business is so huge, eventually there had to be player movement. The as-interesting part is that, if there's movement, there's likely going to be movement in, also...could almost get to be like the hc and ad are participating in a fantasy draft.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Here’s a wild thought:

If college basketball is going to change so much, maybe we invest our money into making the program a place kids would want to stay? Maybe get a practice facility and charter flights to everything like the potential landing spots for recruits?

Just a thought.
11 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Here’s a wild thought:

If college basketball is going to change so much, maybe we invest our money into making the program a place kids would want to stay? Maybe get a practice facility and charter flights to everything like the potential landing spots for recruits?

Just a thought.
For the love of Hassan Martin blocks and all other things holy, yes! And even if it does change, a player’s current teammates and coaches have the most time spent with him and the biggest opportunity to convince him to stay. Recruit well and keep recruiting.

A few of you love college basketball but really seem to dislike college basketball players. They should have more control over their futures and also shouldn’t be assumed to be idiots who will fall for every sales pitch that comes their way. Be the program where players want to stay. Coaches aren’t victims in this (and maybe stop saying every player that leaves doesn’t matter, isn’t good, is a problem, has a bad attitude, etc. until you’ve got little continuity and a short roster and are a bit desperate to fill a bunch of spots in the Spring).
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
7 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Not a fan of all the transferring and potential for more with new rules.. guess I'm just old school. Kind of why pro sports has fallen out of favor with me.. guess it makes sense for players to be able to choose where they play and move on for whatever reason but I like following someones progress and growth for 4 years.. to me I'm rooting for the player as well as the laundry.. now it's more tilted towards rooting for the laundry. Not as enjoyable in my book!!
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago I like following someones progress and growth for 4 years.. to me I'm rooting for the player as well as the laundry.. now it's more tilted towards rooting for the laundry. Not as enjoyable in my book!!
I absolutely understand that perspective, I really do. I just don’t think it has to be as hopeless as some are making it out to be. First, players get pushed out all the time by coaches who have made recruiting mistakes, yet the players are the ones who pay for it. Second, you think people weren’t asking about guys like EC and Hassan and Jared Terrell and floating some ideas? Of course they were, but those guys were committed to winning at Rhode Island. If they really wanted to go, a year wasn’t going to make much of a difference. At the same time, I really enjoyed Stan and KI’s time here, too, and never thought of them as lesser Rams, despite their shorter stays.
5 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

You cannot say with certainty that they would have stayed if the didn’t have to sit a year. Every kid thinks they will go to the league. The nba has become age sensitive to the point where college seniors are ranked lower because they are already 22 yrs old. So, sitting out a year costs kids money in their minds. In my opinion, that is more of a deterrent to transferring than a commitment to winning.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This new transfer rule will really make it tough for mid majors like URI and others

I think it will benefit the P5s and we see less and less Cinderella’s , they will still happen but few and far between
0 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago What a bunch of crap. The NCAA needs to stop this madness of constant transferring and Cox needs to get a grip of this team.
How is this on the NCAA? They've even shut down most immediate eligibility waivers. The NCAA sucks - but this isn't on them.

If this winds up being true and we lose another player, this really starts to be a concern on what the hell is happening behind the scenes. Since Cox took over, this is my count for transfers:

"Hurley" Recruits:
Christion Thompson (RS Sr - grad)left to be closer to home
Michael Tertsea (JR)not a D1 player
Mike Layssard (JR) kicked out
Nikola Akele (SR)playing pro ball

Cox Recruits:
Omar Silverio (FR)grandmothers death and wanted to go home
Marial Mading (FR)backstory to this
Gregory Hammond (FR)didn’t want to wait to develop
Dana Tate (SO)forced out for off the court issues
Aris Tsare38923489ioussl (FR)practice body, swing and miss

Am I missing anyone? I feel like I am...but even so - that's almost a roster and bench. More scholarship players than we currently have active.

Talent or otherwise, this is really starting to concern me. Obviously each has an individual case, that isolated makes sense, but when you look at it overall - it's a worrying trend. While sure - you could make a case that none of them were "major minutes" getters...and some we may be better of without.

But if you look at our roster at this point, are you telling me that Thompson, Mading, or Tate wouldn't be able to get minutes? If we lose a Long or God forbid a Toppin...what the hell do we do?

I don't know where to find the stats, but we've got to be near the top of the NCAA in terms of transfers/decommits in the last 2 seasons. That definitely isn't an indication of a healthy program.
Only one/maybe two you can place blame on staff. Aris and MAYBE GREG.
0 x
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

BlackDogRants wrote: 4 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago If there is indeed 1 or 2 transfers at the end of this season we may be heading for the abyss. It would mean players that are playing are leaving. That screams coaching issue and will certainly affect recruiting. Not good news
Making the tournament this year was so crucial to keeping the program together. We're going to become very easy to recruit against. Any coach we're going against for a recruit can point out we've had no success under Cox yet and the high amount of transfers and ask if this is really a program a recruit wants to commit to. It's hard to promote family and a winning culture when it hasn't been proven to have stayed after Hurley left yet
This is absolutely accurate in my opinion. If we have ANY current guys leave it would trigger a pretty ugly domino effect. What would we even be offering to a potential recruit at that point? Cant say our culture is good when people are running from it. Cant say we have great facilities - we dont. Cant say we have experienced coaching staff - Cox is a first time head coach (a mistake) and we have two assistants that were glorified video editors a year ago. Cant promote our game plan or playing identity since we dont have one - some days its defense, some days its let Fatts run around, sometimes its a strange weave!

So to the previous post's point if we made the tournament this season it changes everything. But we didn't so ... time will really tell but its starting to have a bit of a stink.
There's nothing strange about our weave. We are the Washington Generals doing the "hot potato".

Maybe a bucket of feathers can help our dreadful FT shooting!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

"Hurley" Recruits:

Cox Recruits:

Its more a commentary on a worrying trend. Like yes, I full understand and agree with many of the cases.

Right, wrong, or indifferent everything in a college program falls on the top man.

If they’re not recruiting the right guys, or making the right assessments, that’s a problem in and of itself.

At some point, you have to realize that more people have left our program without graduating - than are currently on our roster - in not even 2 years.

Hopefully we figure it out in Brooklyn to help stop this attrition trend.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

"Hurley" Recruits:

Cox Recruits:

Its more a commentary on a worrying trend. Like yes, I full understand and agree with many of the cases.

Right, wrong, or indifferent everything in a college program falls on the top man.

If they’re not recruiting the right guys, or making the right assessments, that’s a problem in and of itself.

At some point, you have to realize that more people have left our program without graduating - than are currently on our roster - in not even 2 years.

You can’t recruit a kids intentions though. Your guess is as good as theirs. There has to be some time for all parties to simply figure things out. Year one was a mulligan, year two, find your footing, year 3, the training wheels are OFF.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago Not a fan of all the transferring and potential for more with new rules.. guess I'm just old school. Kind of why pro sports has fallen out of favor with me.. guess it makes sense for players to be able to choose where they play and move on for whatever reason but I like following someones progress and growth for 4 years.. to me I'm rooting for the player as well as the laundry.. now it's more tilted towards rooting for the laundry. Not as enjoyable in my book!!
I'm sure Jermaine loves the way this board is following and supporting his growth. Things go both ways.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

One thing's for sure....next season, Cox will be playing both Harris and Toppin more minutes than they are getting now...so that's an incentive for them to stay.

One could ask, should they be getting more minutes already, when CL and Martin struggle?

Especially since JH seems to be coming around, and we know about Jacob's potential.
2 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

reef wrote: 4 years ago This new transfer rule will really make it tough for mid majors like URI and others

I think it will benefit the P5s and we see less and less Cinderella’s , they will still happen but few and far between
Lord (and the fan base) knows I am not the optimistic type - but - something interesting to think about if these new transfer rules come about... I think we can potentially draw bench/spot start guys from the P5’s. They are mediocre in the majors, taking a back seat to bigger name recruits, but would fit better (and certainly be starters) in the A10. Think like a Stan Robinson type?

Also in keeping with the optimistic fairy tale spirit this morning - we have enough scholarships now and if there is no more sitting maybe we can just assemble a team of transfers and build a championship like the Miami Heat circa 2010.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You can’t recruit a kids intentions though. Your guess is as good as theirs. There has to be some time for all parties to simply figure things out. Year one was a mulligan, year two, find your footing, year 3, the training wheels are OFF.
The training wheels were off this year. This year was set up better to make the tournament than next year and so far we're failing
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Chereef Knox, freshman at St Joseph’s from Imhotep, announced transferring. Strange to see players announcing prior to their conference tournaments

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I guess Incarnate World isn't the best place for a player? 3 on the portal? Of course we had 2 this year in Hammond and Tate.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Chereef Knox, freshman at St Joseph’s from Imhotep, announced transferring. Strange to see players announcing prior to their conference tournaments
Probably similar to those football players who won't play in like, the Motor City Bowl Presented By Pets.com. Sometimes, if you just want to GTFO, you're going to do so, and he's not going to stick around for the 0.01 percent chance they win the A-10 tournament.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Is it just me, or does it seem like Dwight Murray Jr. and Morgan Taylor could almost be brothers?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I guess Incarnate World isn't the best place for a player? 3 on the portal? Of course we had 2 this year in Hammond and Tate.
And Mading....and Thompson.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I guess Incarnate World isn't the best place for a player? 3 on the portal? Of course we had 2 this year in Hammond and Tate.
And Mading....and Thompson.
Those were before the season/last year.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
At least 4 if not 5 now from Wichita 3 from Vanderbilt also.

At this amount of movement in current day CBB
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And this is before any vote on the "no sit out" proposal.
0 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

So no talk of how this is Gregg Marshall’s fault, etc...

Transferring is the way of CBB.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Tjrams91 wrote: 4 years ago So no talk of how this is Gregg Marshall’s fault, etc...

Transferring is the way of CBB.
Rumor has it he may be leaving. So yes if thats the case it is his fault. Transfering is an option but it has gotten out of control
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Is there a deadline that a player can enter the transfer portal? Or is anything, during the first semester, during the second semester, after signing periods, before school starts in the fall, after school starts but before practice starts, etc etc; Or is simply accurate that a coach and school have no idea of who will be committed to the program, and who will be No Call NO Show for the first practice.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......so players transfer, coaches transfer; we are all in for Ole State U, for now, until we are not.....root for the laundry and you fav suit......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I've seen both Brycen Goodine and Noah Fernandes play. Both very good players. I think we recruited both of them.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow very interesting as Wichita is a good program and Marshall is a great coach

Sounds like Marshall to a P5 I guess ???
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

If you are a new coach rebuilding a team, there will be enough talent on the portal to get competitive really quickly.
The DeAntoni Gordon kid from Wichita St is really good
0 x