2/22 | Davidson | 5:30PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

2/22 | Davidson | 5:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Davidson University
John M Belk Arena, Davidson, NC
Saturday, February 22, 2020
5:30PM

*UPDATED 2/19*

Media
TV: CBSSN
Online: CBSSN
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or iHeart Radio App
Tune In Radio

Previews:
Davidson’s Fan Forum

After beating the lowly Hawks at home, Rhody gets a much-needed week off before heading to Davidson to take on the Wildcats. Davidson is somehow currently 8th in the A10 (7-5) but with their roster of Gudmundsson, Grady & Carter Collins this is going to be a tough match-up. Davidson has been playing well as of late, winning 3 out of the last 4 & all 3 of those wins have been blowouts. They should get another big win Tuesday night at St. Joe's. Davidson shit the bed Tuesday night at St. Joe's, blowing a 19 point half time & inexplicably giving up 52 second half points while Ryan Daly didn't play. HUH? The last time Davison & URI faced off Rhody was able to pull away late to win by double digits even with Danny Dimes in the building. Fatts came off the bench in that one & poured in 26 & was the first win in the Rams 10 game winning streak. Davidson plays an 8-man rotation like URI but they can go 9 or 10 deep if necessary unlike the Rams. If the Rams can control the boards & force some turnovers URI should win this even though they are currently underdogs per ESPN’s BPI. My guess is this game would be about a pick’em or even Davidson favored by 1. I am taking Rhody to win 73-69. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
13-12, 7-6 in the A10
Last season: 24-10, 14-4 in the A10

Rankings:
RPI: 130
KenPom: 74
NCAA NET: 81
BPI: 58

Leaders :
Points – Kellan Grady 16.4 (Jr., G)
Rebounds – Jon Axel Gudmundsson, 7.3 (Sr., G)
Assists – Jon Axel Gudmundsson, 4.6 (Sr., G) (2.2 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 7-7
H: 4-2, A: 2-3, N: 1-2
Most Recent Matchup: 1/8/20 69-58 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 4 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 34.5% Chance of URI Winning
Last edited by spookydog 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
4 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/22 | Davidson | 5:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by section(105) »

........According to Team Rankings; chance to Dance 80%, they give their #54 ranked URI a 43% chance to beat their #70 ranked Davidson......Season record at 22-8, A-10 record at 14+4......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

Thanks Spooky for doing this every game, going to be a long week before Saturday. I'll call it "bye week keaney blues" my over/under for topic pages before tip is 4 .5
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Must. Win.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years agoMust. Win.

this one isn't, but if they lose, every other one will be.,,especially with richmond charging hard.
3 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

I'm terrified about this game.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago

this one isn't, but if they lose, every other one will be.,,especially with richmond charging hard.
Disagree. Every game but Dayton at home is a must win.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

A loss here would put us in danger of unraveling and will make the future must wins into MUST MUST WIN. It would also signify that we are digressing instead of getting better. Like the 2017-2018 team.

Also, what a strange time to start a game on a Saturday.

I cant remember us ever starting a game at 5:30.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I hate this match up. Always have.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If we are only an 11 according to the most accurate bracket projection site (bracketville) then a loss to Davidson will likely knock us out. Or put us dangerously close to being out.

Add a loss to Dayton at home, wins over Saint Louis, Fordham and UMass won't move the needle all that much. We would at best be an 11 seed going into the A-10 tournament. By that time the bubble will be up and down, but most of those bubble teams are in power conferences with several Q1 and Q2 opportunities, which means they can move into the bracket faster than we can.

We finish 14-4 (L's to Dayton and Davidson) we have to at least win that Quarterfinal game to feel ok going into selection Sunday.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

It’s a must win game. Technically I think they are safe with wins at Fordham and at UMass and at least one win of Davidson/Dayton/SLU so not strictly must win, but a win here will allow for some margin for error in Dayton or SLU. So I’m calling it must win (or at least insurance).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

huh? so if we lose to Davidson and win the rest we're out? or do you consider this a must win because we can't be possibly win the rest? not sure i follow your logic.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

All games are must win except Dayton
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

huh? so if we lose to Davidson and win the rest we're out? or do you consider this a must win because we can't be possibly win the rest? not sure i follow your logic.
one game at a time. Davidson always worries me, especially at home. However, we defend the 3 well and if we can come out of the gates holding them in check from 3 I think we are in good shape to get a W.
0 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

I should probably clarify...here's why I'm terrified:

- Davidson is a surging team and we're in their building
- Weird start time
- Full week off. I know some will point to the rest as a benefit, but I worry about rust and a slow start.
- Davidson at full strength
- They're very well coached

It's also the stakes. If Rhody wins this game, I'd feel much better about rolling to the Dayton game, even though SLU at home will also be tough.

But a loss here, like a few have mentioned already, will be shades of 2017-2018 where we probably went from a 4 seed to a 7 seed in just a few weeks. In this case, I think we go from a 10 to first four out with a loss. And the only way we get back in is by either beating Dayton or getting to the A-10 final. It makes the Dayton game a must win (in addition to winning out).
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago All games are must win except Dayton
i'll ask you too. if we lose to davidson and win the rest are you suggesting we don't make it to the dance?

for weeks i've been saying we needed to win 2 of 4 vs. Davidson, VCU and 2 Daytons. We are 1-1 so far with 2 to go. If you want to add St Lo so that we have to go 2-1 in those 3 games, and win the rest...fine.

this is not a must win from the stand point that we have to do damage in the a10 tourney to get in. win 5 of the last 6...and maybe 1 in brooklyn and we are a LOCK.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

To be sure to be in, without "must wins" in the tournament, we can only have one more loss. If we lose to Davidson, we must beat Dayton.

I think it is that simple. Think Davidson will be favored by 2 in this game. Agree with everyone who is afraid of slow start and a "rusty" start for Rhody.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago To be sure to be in, without "must wins" in the tournament, we can only have one more loss. If we lose to Davidson, we must beat Dayton.

I think it is that simple. Think Davidson will be favored by 2 in this game. Agree with everyone who is afraid of slow start and a "rusty" start for Rhody.
This pretty much sums it up to a T.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

always difficult to know how a team will come out. i thought we would come out too jacked at home vs. VCU before we settled in. we actually came out very much in control. i thought we would come out in control and with emotions in check vs. dayton and we came out deer in the headlights.

i really think the week off will help this team to refocus. hope i'm right this time. GO RHODY!
1 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

I feel like Coach Cox will have the guys up for this game from the getco, with a week off I expect a strong start on the road against and undermanned and unathletic Davidson squad. Run them off the three point line and you win the game.
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

We’re likely picking up Q2 win whether we win or lose this game. Not a must win resume-wise. That being said, a tournament team finds a way to win this game.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I agree with many of the others here. This is a HUGE game. Win this Saturday at Davidson and the odds of securing an NCAA bid get much stronger. Lose and Rhody will then likely HAVE to absolutely win three of its last four games and a game in Brooklyn. There would be little room for error. 22 wins is probably the minimum number of regular season wins URI needs and it would still not guarantee anything. 23 would be even better and might be enough on its own to secure an at large (especially if it beats Dayton at home). The more wins in the regular season makes Brooklyn less critical. URI's first Friday game at the tournament will not be an easy out as the opponent will likely be Davidson, SLU, Duquesne, or VCU. It would be preferred not to have that game be a must.
2 x
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

Davidson will be pumped for this game. I expect their swim team will be "full speedo" during our free throws! You gotta love college basketball!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NC_Ram wrote: 4 years ago Davidson will be pumped for this game. I expect their swim team will be "full speedo" during our free throws! You gotta love college basketball!
Davidson students and fans may be a bit more pumped for this game given their recent good play. Belk however is not one of the most intimidating A-10 venues. Furthermore, the Wildcats have only had two games all year draw above 4,000 in their 5,295 seat venue (their high attendance was 4,394 for GMU). Rhody has already won at two of the league's more intimidating home courts (VCU and SBU) and played in front of 13k at UD Arena. While all road games are tough, URI has played in many more difficult arenas this year which should have its players hardened a bit.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

MUST WIN
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The issue is not whether Davidson is now a different team than earlier in the season, but that this game will play out differently than the 01/08 game at Ryan. In that contest, URI benefited from poor Davidson shooting including attempts from beyond the arc - 36% FG. 17% 3-PTS - much of this due to the Rams' defensive pressure. However, we cannot expect this to be repeated at Belk given their confidence is the highest it's been all season. The team is deadly on three point shooting which they have weaponized in recent games to suck the energy and confidence out of the opposition from the beginning.

What URI can improve on versus the Ryan game is to strengthen the defensive effort and cause more turnovers. Davidson loses when its TO level goes well into double digits. URI also has to control the glass better than the first game, helping the transition game and fast break points. It will also limit the second chance points. Remember URI was in funk after two surprising losses to Brown and Richmond when we played Davidson, so URI is also now a more confident team. It should be a great game. GO RHODY!!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think if they look at the defense against GW, and mimic that we will win going away. This game for us is all about defense.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Force them to beat us with 2’s. They have little to no inside game. Play all over them on the perimeter, switch all screens and force them to be drivers.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

They’ve broken our hearts too many times these last few years.

Gimme 35 from Fatts including a few 3’s from that stupid volleyball line.
2 x
Go Rhody
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Definitely a very important game to add to your resume. Hopefully rhody can utilize their length and athleticism to their advantage against Davidson offensively and defensively like they did in the 1st one. If we really bring it defensively against them Saturday I like our chances to take this one. But the defense cant get beat backdoor consistently. The weak side guy on defense has to cover the rim for help.

Honestly I'm more concerned about st louis at home personally based on the matchup. Good defensive rebounding team. Take it to the rim on you type of team. They are very physical and played Dayton close due to that.

Be nice to get both so we arent sweating it out come selection sunday.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I don’t think some folks realize how complex it is to defend McKillop’s team when they are clicking. They run the motion literally unlike any other team. Take a very cerebral group (which we are) to game plan for and diffuse it.
Last edited by DC_Rams 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Force them to beat us with 2’s. They have little to no inside game. Play all over them on the perimeter, switch all screens and force them to be drivers.
I don’t like forcing them to drive either because we will foul and they will make 90% of their FTs.

We just need to force them into bad shots and collect rebounds. Limit 2nd Chance opportunity.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Force them to beat us with 2’s. They have little to no inside game. Play all over them on the perimeter, switch all screens and force them to be drivers.
I don’t like forcing them to drive either because we will foul and they will make 90% of their FTs.

We just need to force them into bad shots and collect rebounds. Limit 2nd Chance opportunity.
Isn't that the same as forcing them to beat us with 2's? The defense will win or lose this game.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

Isn't that the same as forcing them to beat us with 2's? The defense will win or lose this game.
I’d prefer them to jack 3s, and hopefully live and die by them. I get nervous when good FT shooting teams get to the line early and often.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I don’t think some folks realize how complex it is to defend McKillop’s team when they are clicking. They run the motion literally unlike any other team. Take a very cerebral group (which we are) to game plan for and diffuse it.
The good news is we have a week to do it.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

I’d prefer them to jack 3s, and hopefully live and die by them. I get nervous when good FT shooting teams get to the line early and often.
Oh really. They got 39 points on 3's against the Bonnies and torched them. You want them to jack 3's? This team doesn't jack 3's. They make them.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agreed. Look at any game they have won, they have hit a plethora of threes. I don’t want to rely on them having an off shooting night since they did that in Kingston and it’s unlikely to be the same in their home gym.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Agreed. Look at any game they have won, they have hit a plethora of threes. I don’t want to rely on them having an off shooting night since they did that in Kingston and it’s unlikely to be the same in their home gym.
They’ve had more bad shooting nights than good this year.

It’s cool though man, we can agree to disagree. We both want the same result in the end.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago If we are only an 11 according to the most accurate bracket projection site (bracketville) then a loss to Davidson will likely knock us out. Or put us dangerously close to being out.

Add a loss to Dayton at home, wins over Saint Louis, Fordham and UMass won't move the needle all that much. We would at best be an 11 seed going into the A-10 tournament. By that time the bubble will be up and down, but most of those bubble teams are in power conferences with several Q1 and Q2 opportunities, which means they can move into the bracket faster than we can.

We finish 14-4 (L's to Dayton and Davidson) we have to at least win that Quarterfinal game to feel ok going into selection Sunday.
If Rhody doesn’t win the Quarterfinal game after going 3-2 they don’t deserve to get in. That would be 4-4 in the final 8 games.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago If we are only an 11 according to the most accurate bracket projection site (bracketville) then a loss to Davidson will likely knock us out. Or put us dangerously close to being out.

If Rhody doesn’t win the Quarterfinal game after going 3-2 they don’t deserve to get in. That would be 4-4 in the final 8 games.
And 14-4 in their last 18 games.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody went 3-2 in their last games? I'm confused. I thought they are still playing?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago

And 14-4 in their last 18 games.
If they lose the Quarterfinal game that would be 14-5 in A10 play.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Rhody went 3-2 in their last games? I'm confused. I thought they are still playing?
PRT painted a scenario where the lose to Davidson and Dayton and win the other three remaining games (that is where the 3-2 comes from). Then added losing the Quarterfinal game. The sentence started with If and copied his post. You really couldn’t figure that out 🤦‍♀️
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Rhody went 3-2 in their last games? I'm confused. I thought they are still playing?
PRT painted a scenario where the lose to Davidson and Dayton and win the other three remaining games (that is where the 3-2 comes from). Then added losing the Quarterfinal game. The sentence started with If and copied his post. You really couldn’t figure that out 🤦‍♀️
Yeah, the speculation has gone rampant, and I should have used comic sans on my post but we don't have it.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Agreed. Look at any game they have won, they have hit a plethora of threes. I don’t want to rely on them having an off shooting night since they did that in Kingston and it’s unlikely to be the same in their home gym.
They’ve had more bad shooting nights than good this year.

It’s cool though man, we can agree to disagree. We both want the same result in the end.
Not True. I consider 33% to be the magic number on trey shooting. Using that standard, in their 24 games to date Davidson has hit threes above 33% in 17 games. They did not meet that standard in seven games - versus Charlotte (32%), Wake Forest (28%), Marquette (0%), Temple (24%), URI (17%), Richmond (24%), VCU (26%) - all losses. You can make a similar comment on their overall FG% - keep them below 40%, they lose.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Like I said. This game is about defense. Come out, lock them down and we win.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago All games are must win except Dayton
i'll ask you too. if we lose to davidson and win the rest are you suggesting we don't make it to the dance?

for weeks i've been saying we needed to win 2 of 4 vs. Davidson, VCU and 2 Daytons. We are 1-1 so far with 2 to go. If you want to add St Lo so that we have to go 2-1 in those 3 games, and win the rest...fine.

this is not a must win from the stand point that we have to do damage in the a10 tourney to get in. win 5 of the last 6...and maybe 1 in brooklyn and we are a LOCK.
I keep going back and forth on this but I think they can probably go 3-2 as long as the 2 losses are in the Davidson/Dayton/SLU trio and be safe. If they go 4-1 I think they are a lock regardless of what they do in the A10 tournament.

But I’m still saying must win because I want the security or insurance of the wins.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

McRam wrote: 4 years ago To be sure to be in, without "must wins" in the tournament, we can only have one more loss. If we lose to Davidson, we must beat Dayton.

I think we can lose to both as long as we win the other 3. But I wouldn’t want to bet my life on it.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If we lose 2 more games in the regular season then we have to win at least one in the A10 tournament to have a shot. I said it maybe in another thread - 5 more wins between regular season and Brooklyn (doesn’t matter which 5), and it’s a lead pipe lock. Four more it is more likely than not. If it’s only three then it’s a long shot - less than three and it’s over.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

Over the past few years the committee hasn’t really cared about finishing strong. They’ve gone by the “entire body of work”
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!