Tickets Still AvaiIabIe

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Tickets Still AvaiIabIe

Unread post by Rhody83 »

There are still tickets available for today’s game that aren’t singles.
64 seats with 2-8 together. Some additional seats returned. These seats are in the 100s, 200s and 300s.

There are also 21 single seats available (all three levels).
Last edited by Rhody83 4 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Tickets Still AvaiIabIe

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

There are a lot more showing today than there were yesterday, including some in the 200s. There's a nice pair together showing in 205.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Too bad there were 1000 student seats that could have been sold.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Yes, but the public attendance was very good, I thought.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I forgot about the 3 day weekend. I was walking around campus about 90 minutes before the game and it was a ghost town. Still don't understand why kids from RI didn't go to the game.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I forgot about the 3 day weekend.
Its not a 3 day weekend though. Kids have classes today.
2 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

spookydog wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I forgot about the 3 day weekend.
Its not a 3 day weekend though. Kids have classes today.
I found out about that later. That makes it worse.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
It's kind of sad that they need a promotion like that to sell tickets to the Dayton game. 9:00 start or not, that game should already be sold out.
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I agee on that view. While our overall attendance is good, it should be much, much better. A team of this caliber at a university of this size should show attendance on average of 7,000 per game. But for whatever explanation, this team has not excited from the opening bell when only 4200 showed to watch the opener against LIU, one of the smallest opening day crowds in the history of the Ryan Center. Sleepy South County is not a bastion of basketball fervor.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

gotta question this promo-

why give sleeping masks to a student section that was sleeping for our last game ?

:)
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago gotta question this promo-

why give sleeping masks to a student section that was sleeping for our last game ?

:)

This is about the worst promo gift I have ever seen given away.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

"no sleep till brooklyn" but lets give you a mask now that helps you sleep now. I like the attempt, but its sort of a contradiction.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago "no sleep till brooklyn" but lets give you a mask now that helps you sleep now. I like the attempt, but its sort of a contradiction.
If it fits my CPAP machine, I’m game.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago "no sleep till brooklyn" but lets give you a mask now that helps you sleep now. I like the attempt, but its sort of a contradiction.

funny

should have went with espresso...
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I was hoping to head down for the Dayton game and senior night, but my wife works on Wed nights, and she gets home just late enough that I wouldn't be able to get there until about midway through the first half, so I'm on daddy duty.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

That link to the offer no longer works. Also 9pm is late. Most including myself wont be home until midnight. Still worth it.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago I agee on that view. While our overall attendance is good, it should be much, much better. A team of this caliber at a university of this size should show attendance on average of 7,000 per game. But for whatever explanation, this team has not excited from the opening bell when only 4200 showed to watch the opener against LIU, one of the smallest opening day crowds in the history of the Ryan Center. Sleepy South County is not a bastion of basketball fervor.
Last year the team underachieved. When that happens it takes a while for the crowds to catch back up, not really surprising
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i don't agree with this whatsoever

we are talking about STUDENTS supporting a team this year that is top 30 and fighting for their NCAA lives
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Hopefully URI learned how to improve the student awareness after St. Joes.
0 x
GO RAMS
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago i don't agree with this whatsoever

we are talking about STUDENTS supporting a team this year that is top 30 and fighting for their NCAA lives
I'm really not surprised by the lack of a student turnout last Saturday. I was talking with someone whose daughter is a student and he called her after one of the games that she attended and she couldn't even tell him who won. Going to a game is merely a social event for the mast majority of students that attend games. They are not nearly invested in the outcome as we all are so a 12PM Saturday start is not going to move the needle with them. Had the game been at 4 or 6 I think we would have seen a much better student turnout.
Last edited by jmck 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

jmck wrote: 4 years ago

I'm really not surprised by the lack of a student turnout last Saturday. I was talking with someone whose daughter is a student and he called her after one of the games that she attended and she couldn't even tell him who won. Going to a game is merely social event for the mast majority of students that attend games. They are not nearly invested in the outcome as we all are so a 12PM Saturday start is not going to move the needle with them. Had the game been at 4 or 6 I think we would have scene a much better student turnout.
Exactly. We got a much better than normal general turnout because of the day of week and time of the game, but it came at the cost of students. Go back to other games with similar opponents and the ratio has been flipped
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm really not surprised by the lack of a student turnout last Saturday. I was talking with someone whose daughter is a student and he called her after one of the games that she attended and she couldn't even tell him who won. Going to a game is merely social event for the mast majority of students that attend games. They are not nearly invested in the outcome as we all are so a 12PM Saturday start is not going to move the needle with them. Had the game been at 4 or 6 I think we would have scene a much better student turnout.
So 12:00 is too early. Is 2:00 on Sunday too early? Is 9:00 on a Wednesday too late? I believe most football games start at 1:00 on Saturday. How do the students get to those?
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

BTW, when I was in school, we would have to get in line at 6 AM for tickets for a game that night in Keaney. And believe me, we partied like hell the night before too.
2 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Spent 5 years as an undergrad and attended 0 football games FWIW
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago BTW, when I was in school, we would have to get in line at 6 AM for tickets for a game that night in Keaney. And believe me, we partied like hell the night before too.
Keaney held about 2500. How many student tickets were there?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago BTW, when I was in school, we would have to get in line at 6 AM for tickets for a game that night in Keaney. And believe me, we partied like hell the night before too.
Keaney held about 2500. How many student tickets were there?
Keaney's capacity was always more than 2,500. It opened in 1953 and once held over 5k when it was entirely all bleachers. It was the biggest on campus venue in New England for a few decades and even hosted a pod of the NCAA Tournament for three straight years from 1967-1969. Changes over the years (more chairbacks and stage seating) later resulted in it having seating for 3,385 and 500 SRO capacity when it ceased being the basketball home of URI in 2002. The box for its last game against St Bonaventure lists 3,885 for attendance.

https://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl ... 02aaa.html
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah it was way more than 2500. The students had all the lower sections, plus bleachers at the far end.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

You must be thinking of Alumni Hall. Theirs was about 2500.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

I'm really not surprised by the lack of a student turnout last Saturday. I was talking with someone whose daughter is a student and he called her after one of the games that she attended and she couldn't even tell him who won. Going to a game is merely a social event for the mast majority of students that attend games. They are not nearly invested in the outcome as we all are so a 12PM Saturday start is not going to move the needle with them. Had the game been at 4 or 6 I think we would have seen a much better student turnout.
So I guess we're seeing another less than 500 person crowd for the 2pm start vs SLU on a Sunday? To be fair, the students have been showing up for most games this season. To not show up at 12:00 pm on a Saturday (No LONG WEEKEND AS OTHERS WERE SAYING) when our team needed them the most is pathetic and insulting to the players who have worked their asses off to get to where they are this season.

All I'm hearing from some people on KB are excuses upon excuses for students not showing up. They'll wait outside 2 hours early for Alabama and PC but can't take 2 hours out of their day on a Saturday at noon to support their team that was 35th in NET and receiving AP votes.

There are plenty of educated college basketball fans in the student section that understand that every game matters.
The worst ones that probably didn't show up on Saturday are the ones that only went to the PC and Alabama games because like you said for some it is pretty much a "social event" .

Bottom line is that other schools have no problem filling up their student section for games against bad teams like St Joes. Students should be coming to cheer on their team instead of worrying about who the opponent is.

Rant over....
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I've heard if student attendance doesn't improve, the team may just relocate home games to RIC or JWU....
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago I've heard if student attendance doesn't improve, the team may just relocate home games to RIC or JWU....
Oh man! Maybe they need to relocate the Ryan center closer to campus. I guess 2 min away from their dorms is too far of a walk :D
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The student enrollment is larger than the population of Narragansett.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The Greeks show or one game and are never seen again.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Remember a few years ago when the players actually walked through the dorms knocking on doors asking students to attend?
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago

So I guess we're seeing another less than 500 person crowd for the 2pm start vs SLU on a Sunday? To be fair, the students have been showing up for most games this season. To not show up at 12:00 pm on a Saturday (No LONG WEEKEND AS OTHERS WERE SAYING) when our team needed them the most is pathetic and insulting to the players who have worked their asses off to get to where they are this season.

All I'm hearing from some people on KB are excuses upon excuses for students not showing up. They'll wait outside 2 hours early for Alabama and PC but can't take 2 hours out of their day on a Saturday at noon to support their team that was 35th in NET and receiving AP votes.

There are plenty of educated college basketball fans in the student section that understand that every game matters.
The worst ones that probably didn't show up on Saturday are the ones that only went to the PC and Alabama games because like you said for some it is pretty much a "social event" .

Bottom line is that other schools have no problem filling up their student section for games against bad teams like St Joes. Students should be coming to cheer on their team instead of worrying about who the opponent is.

Rant over....
We can put on the back burner the idea of students taking over sections 104, 104, 105, 106

Alabama and PC were not just social events, they were SEC and Big East Teams. They were marquee games on the schedule.

Students know who the good teams are and who the atrocious teams are. Nobody has St Joseph’s circled on their calendars. Students were playing basketball, in the fitness center and in the weight room. It’s just not a game of much interest and it was not publicized well on campus.

Students get credit for going to games and that helps them get in to games like PC. As the season is winding down there are fewer games left to qualify for by having high attendance at games. Most already have a good number of games to their credit, they don’t necessarily need the St Joe game to get in for Dayton.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Rant over....
We can put on the back burner the idea of students taking over sections 104, 104, 105, 106

Alabama and PC were not just social events, they were SEC and Big East Teams. They were marquee games on the schedule.

Students know who the good teams are and who the atrocious teams are. Nobody has St Joseph’s circled on their calendars. Students were playing basketball, in the fitness center and in the weight room. It’s just not a game of much interest and it was not publicized well on campus.

Students get credit for going to games and that helps them get in to games like PC. As the season is winding down there are fewer games left to qualify for by having high attendance at games. Most already have a good number of games to their credit, they don’t necessarily need the St Joe game to get in for Dayton.
They sold out the section vs VCU. I don't believe that the student section attendance winds down after the PC game because the games don't count for a raffle anymore. Let's wait till next week vs SLU and then judge if students are done with our 30th ranked team :)

Also there was no need to mention putting students in the 100s. It's not gonna happen because of season ticket holders being there and away fans. I get it and my thread was already concluded.

Another thing is that there hasn't been a raffle announced for the Dayton game. I think they would've announced one already if it was happening.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Ramster, there's no point in arguing about this. Most importantly, the students fill up their section for the last 2 home games. They've been great for the majority of games especially smaller ones like Duquesne and Nicholls state.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Rant over....

916 - once again you are SPOT ON and I agree with everything you said here
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I believe the largest student attendance game this year was free t-shirt and free cheese steak night.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I believe the largest student attendance game this year was free t-shirt and free cheese steak night.
My point being, all those kids heard about those promotions. Do we really think they don't hear about other games?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This season isn't even yet over and PC Athletics is sending out emails trying to sell season tickets for the 2020-21 season next year. Actually highlight that a purchase will guarantee a ticket at the DDC to see URI along with UConn and Villanova.

I have not bought tickets from PC in many years (used to buy vs URI at the DDC) but my name and email address is still in their system This is the promo from the email I got today:
Screenshot_2020-02-19 Trash - Mail - MARK M STANLEY - Xfinity Connect.png
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

To the Friar fans that frequent this board, are season ticket holders guaranteed tickets for the NCAA tournament? Tough to decipher what they mean by priority access. Sometimes that means your guaranteed access and sometimes it just means a presale and you still might get shut out. Might be worth buying tickets to guarantee access to URI and the tournament and selling the rest
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......acting early upon ncaa ticket announcement of the Providence site, I have never been shut out tickets for the first round games there......without any Friar assist......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I believe the largest student attendance game this year was free t-shirt and free cheese steak night.
My point being, all those kids heard about those promotions. Do we really think they don't hear about other games?
You realize we had 1600 students for midweek Duquesne and there wasn't a giveaway at all? The interest is there. I'm giving them another chance vs SLU after the abysmal showing vs St joes.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......acting early upon ncaa ticket announcement of the Providence site, I have never been shut out tickets for the first round games there......without any Friar assist......
Tell me more on how you do this? I am very interested in going next year. It's a bucket list item to see a tourney game.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

You realize we had 1600 students for midweek Duquesne and there wasn't a giveaway at all? The interest is there. I'm giving them another chance vs SLU after the abysmal showing vs St joes.
My point about St. Joe's was that some said it wasn't publicized on campus so students didn't know about it. I find it hard to believe that the students didn't know there was a game on Saturday at 12:00.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......acting early upon ncaa ticket announcement of the Providence site, I have never been shut out tickets for the first round games there......without any Friar assist......
Tell me more on how you do this? I am very interested in going next year. It's a bucket list item to see a tourney game.
.......we registered a few years ago with the ncaa as interested in first round tickets, then comes their notice that they are available, purchase etc. A local host college is then the actual distributor, sometimes PC, sometimes Brown, pretty easy, but our experience is that acting immediately works. I would recommend checking out the ncaa site, like for Albany this year to see what the process is. As far as I know, it is not lottery for first round sites.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
.......we registered a few years ago with the ncaa as interested in first round tickets, then comes their notice that they are available, purchase etc. A local host college is then the actual distributor, sometimes PC, sometimes Brown, pretty easy, but our experience is that acting immediately works. I would recommend checking out the ncaa site, like for Albany this year to see what the process is. As far as I know, it is not lottery for first round sites.
Thanks...I signed up a few years ago when it was in Providence and got nothing. I'll try that again. Perhaps it went to spam :evil: :evil: :evil:
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

My point about St. Joe's was that some said it wasn't publicized on campus so students didn't know about it. I find it hard to believe that the students didn't know there was a game on Saturday at 12:00.
Ohh ok. Yeah, I also find that really hard to believe people didn't know that the only thing happening on campus was a basketball game at 12:00.
0 x