2/15 | Saint Joe’s | 12:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

2/15 | Saint Joe’s | 12:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Saint Joseph’s University
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Saturday, February 15, 2020
12:00PM

Media
TV: CBSSN
Online: CBSSN
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or iHeart Radio App
Tune In Radio

Previews:
St Joe’s Fan Forum

We are onto Saint Joe’s...We are onto Saint Joe’s...
The Rams travel back to the friendly confines of Kingston bruised & battered after losing to Dayton Tuesday night. Rhody looks to get back to their winning ways & they have just the right opponent for that to happen…the Saint Joe’s Hawks. With just 2 wins in their last 21 games & struggling almost as much as notable alum Delonte West, the Hawks look to pick up their first conference win. The Hawks are led by jack of all trades, Ryan Daly who leads the team in just about every category. Daly is currently the A10 leading scorer, narrowly edging out Fatts by about 0.1 points per game. The last time these two teams faced off Dowtin was unavailable to play because of some ridiculous NCAA rule. Rhody started off slow getting down by double digits & then turning it on in the second half to win by 10. Look for URI to get the ball downlow to Cyril & let the big man do his thing. I foresee another double-double from him. What I think is most important (besides getting the win) is taking quality shots & making them. The Rams were held to 28.8% shooting against Dayton. Let’s get that shooting percentage back to where it was against GW where they shot over 50%. Take care of business at home & then worry about playing in Davidson. The Rams will be heavily favored in this one, probably will be about 17. Look for URI to win this one going away, 79-62. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
4-20, 0-11 in the A10
Last season: 14-19, 6-12 in the A10

Rankings:
RPI: 216
KenPom: 275
NCAA NET: 239
BPI: 286

Leaders :
Points – Ryan Daly 20.4 (Jr., G)
Rebounds – Ryan Daly, 7.4 (Jr., G)
Assists – Ryan Daly, 4.3 (Jr., G) (3.3 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 47-57
H: 25-23, A: 20-31, N: 2-3
Most Recent Matchup: 1/15/20 71-61 W at St. Joes
Most Recent Win Streak: 3 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 97.0% Chance of URI Winning
Last edited by spookydog 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/15 | Saint Joe’s | 12:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by TruePoint »

Kill them
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Fatts is gonna drop 40.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......Team Rankings now has URI their #52 ranked team beating their#266 ranked Joes at 96%......they say our dance chances are 91%, with finishing season at 22-8 and 14-4 in A-10......
Last edited by section(105) 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Lol Ryan Daly is their team.

A sluggish effort will make me feel uneasy.

No way we shouldn't at least win by 20.

We beat them by ten after being down ten in the second half without Dowtin in their arena.

Go in there mad and beat the piss out of them.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......Team Rankings now has URI their #52 ranked team beating their#266 ranked Joes at 96%......they say our dance chances are 91%, with finishing season at 22-8 and 15-4 in A-10......
Is that a typo? Or is Team Rankings predicting a q-final loss? There are 18 regular season A-10 games, so URI can not go 15-4 unless it includes 15-3 followed by a loss in their only tournament game.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Not a drill. This is a must win.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Must. Win. Game.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......Team Rankings now has URI their #52 ranked team beating their#266 ranked Joes at 96%......they say our dance chances are 91%, with finishing season at 22-8 and 15-4 in A-10......
Is that a typo? Or is Team Rankings predicting a q-final loss? There are 18 regular season A-10 games, so URI can not go 15-4 unless it includes 15-3 followed by a loss in their only tournament game.
......14-4 in conference, correction made, thx.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Not that there is a huge difference but I’m more inclined to think of this as a CANNOT LOSE than a MUST WIN, just because what is really important here isn’t our 11th win. What is important here is not having a second Brown loss - this one on our home floor. A loss here really would end our postseason chances, and I’m not being hyperbolic this time.

But honestly I’m not worried about this game from a W/L perspective. We will win the game. In this one, I actually am worried about style points. I want to see a character effort on Saturday: energy, focus, attention to detail, ruthlessness, togetherness. If they do that, they should run St Joes out of the gym, but the final margin isn’t really the point to me as much as the approach they take to the game.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Not that there is a huge difference but I’m more inclined to think of this as a CANNOT LOSE than a MUST WIN, just because what is really important here isn’t our 11th win. What is important here is not having a second Brown loss - this one on our home floor. A loss here really would end our postseason chances, and I’m not being hyperbolic this time.

But honestly I’m not worried about this game from a W/L perspective. We will win the game. In this one, I actually am worried about style points. I want to see a character effort on Saturday: energy, focus, attention to detail, ruthlessness, togetherness. If they do that, they should run St Joes out of the gym, but the final margin isn’t really the point to me as much as the approach they take to the game.
CANNOT LOSE vs. MUST WIN I guess is a matter of semantics. But I agree with your 2nd paragraph. They definitely need to basically take the Dayton loss out on someone, be focused and energized, and show that last night was a fluke. Play together and communicate.

While losing wouldn't 100% kill their bid hopes, it would seriously wound them in a way that they would need a 2017 like performance after the Fordham loss in order to resurrect it.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

spookydog wrote: 4 years ago With just 2 wins in their last 21 games & struggling almost as much as notable alum Delonte West, the Hawks look to pick up their first conference win.
I enjoy these previews, but have to take exception to the gratuitous cheap shot at Delonte West.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Not that there is a huge difference but I’m more inclined to think of this as a CANNOT LOSE than a MUST WIN, just because what is really important here isn’t our 11th win. What is important here is not having a second Brown loss - this one on our home floor. A loss here really would end our postseason chances, and I’m not being hyperbolic this time.

CANNOT LOSE vs. MUST WIN I guess is a matter of semantics. But I agree with your 2nd paragraph. They definitely need to basically take the Dayton loss out on someone, be focused and energized, and show that last night was a fluke. Play together and communicate.

While losing wouldn't 100% kill their bid hopes, it would seriously wound them in a way that they would need a 2017 like performance after the Fordham loss in order to resurrect it.
Agreed - totally semantics, just the way I’m thinking about it I guess.

As far as whether it would end our shot at a bid, I suppose there may be an outside chance we could run the table to the A10 final, lose, and still get in but at that point you’re talking about likely having to beat Dayton twice in 10 days. If I think about what is more likely to happen - beat Joes at home or THAT - I’m going to say let’s just handle Joes and get to the bye.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

Agreed - totally semantics, just the way I’m thinking about it I guess.

As far as whether it would end our shot at a bid, I suppose there may be an outside chance we could run the table to the A10 final, lose, and still get in but at that point you’re talking about likely having to beat Dayton twice in 10 days. If I think about what is more likely to happen - beat Joes at home or THAT - I’m going to say let’s just handle Joes and get to the bye.
YUP
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Must have no hangover effect from the Dayton game as was the case with Richmond after the Brown loss. The team needs to completely forget about last night and move on. Must put forth a good effort vs St Joe's as you cannot take anything for granted. Put it all out there and then get a week off needed rest before playing at Davidson.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Win by 10+.
1 x
Go Rhody
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Must have no hangover effect from the Dayton game as was the case with Richmond after the Brown loss. The team needs to completely forget about last night and move on. Must put forth a good effort vs St Joe's as you cannot take anything for granted. Put it all out there and then get a week off needed rest before playing at Davidson.
Don't forget about it...be angry and take it out on St. Joe's.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Absolutely have to come on the floor angry and with a vengeance. That doughboy Ryan Daly cannot beat Fatts out of the top scoring position in the league either.

Shut down Daly and win by 20.

Get back on track with this one.
4 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Nice midday game. Let’s get the job done!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

David Cox should use the VCU loss at home to GMU as motivation and an example that you can never take a win for granted.
2 x
RollRams
Jim Eitner

Unread post by RollRams »

Barely any tickets left against the zero conference wins hawks, are the Hurley band wagoners officially back?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RollRams wrote: 4 years ago Barely any tickets left against the zero conference wins hawks, are the Hurley band wagoners officially back?
Glad I saw this. My dad asked me to go on and grab him a couple tix to take my nephew since I am using ours to bring my son - I think there will be a ton of this on Saturday with very family friendly start time. There is barely anything left. Announced attendance will be close to 8,000.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Wow, that's surprising but I love it!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hell yes!!! Put on a show for everybody!

I guess everyone has been keeping up with bracketology, so they know they got an NCAA team to cheer for!
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

FYI - They do have a Groupon for the remaining games this season.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In our remaining schedule we have two opportunities to register a bad loss - this game against the Hawks and the Fordham road game. We already have one bad loss in Brown which currently has a higher NET than either St. Joe's or Fordham and cannot afford another. Since I was present at the St. Joe's game at Hagan where I experienced a feeling of Brown deja vu for over 30 minutes before the Rams righted themselves to win, I take nothing for granted. A high NET rating on March 15 is the goal, everything else is merely interesting information and opinion.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

If I counted the green dots correctly, I count about 130 in the 300 sections and another 20 or so in the 200/100 sections. That's quite impressive (assuming the grey dots are sold tickets and not merely unreleased tickets).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago In our remaining schedule we have two opportunities to register a bad loss - this game against the Hawks and the Fordham road game. We already have one bad loss in Brown which currently has a higher NET than either St. Joe's or Fordham and cannot afford another. Since I was present at the St. Joe's game at Hagan where I experienced a feeling of Brown deja vu for over 30 minutes before the Rams righted themselves to win, I take nothing for granted. A high NET rating on March 15 is the goal, everything else is merely interesting information and opinion.
I would think UMass is also an opportunity for a bad loss, no? Did they move to a Q2?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago In our remaining schedule we have two opportunities to register a bad loss - this game against the Hawks and the Fordham road game. We already have one bad loss in Brown which currently has a higher NET than either St. Joe's or Fordham and cannot afford another. Since I was present at the St. Joe's game at Hagan where I experienced a feeling of Brown deja vu for over 30 minutes before the Rams righted themselves to win, I take nothing for granted. A high NET rating on March 15 is the goal, everything else is merely interesting information and opinion.
Hopefully the tightness of that game had a lot to do with the unexpected loss of Dowtin which was only known about an hour before tip.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I still find it bizarre people sit on their phones / computers and count the green dots before games....
3 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We need to jump this team early and cruise to a victory

NCAAs or bust no bottom feeders get in our way
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago I still find it bizarre people sit on their phones / computers and count the green dots before games....
Did anyone do that? I had to buy two extra seats and it was kind of hard not to notice that there were hardly any left. I don’t have any idea exactly how many green dots there were, nor have I seen anyone else guess at it. But I can tell you it isn’t a lot.

Also the reason people do that is because they are interested in how attendance will be. But I do kind of agree that the precise number of dots isn’t really what is important, just are there a lot, very few or somewhere in between.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago I still find it bizarre people sit on their phones / computers and count the green dots before games....
Did anyone do that? I had to buy two extra seats and it was kind of hard not to notice that there were hardly any left. I don’t have any idea exactly how many green dots there were, not have I seen anyone else guess at it. But I can tell you it isn’t a lot.

Also the reason people do that is because they are interested in how attendance will be. But I do kind of agree that the precise number of dots isn’t really what is important, just are there a lot, very few or somewhere in between.

Stevie P just said he did, and there have been many posters who have said they have counted dots if other games . Just seems like a big waste of time.
0 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Missed stevie’s post but personally I’m interested to know they are less than 200 seats from a sellout already. If someone counts 627 seats that seems like probably a waste but at the point where it becomes possible for someone to do it in 5 minutes, I appreciate the effort even for a ballpark figure.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If it is a sellout, I’d Like to see Cooley’s face after he insinuated “you people” wouldn’t go to every home game after we played them.

What an absolute clown that guy is, and an even bigger clown statement that was.
1 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

On that we agree
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The impact of the Dowtin one game suspension on how the game developed is a likely explanation. Given URI is taller than St. Joe's, I was surprised that the rebound battle was so close. Daly, Anthony Longpre and Lorenzo Edwards pulled down a combined 26 rebounds offsetting Langevine's stellar effort. We also had a terrible shooting night beyond the arc and were terrible at the FT line, but in both categories St. Joe's was not much bette and what made this game different than Brown was the Bears simply swamped URI on overall shooting, 3-point shooting and FT shooting.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Not sure why it's surprising that there are people so heavily vested in the health of this program that they will track attendance numbers. More butts in seats = more revenue, more revenue allows us to retain coaches, invest in program enhancements, etc. Of all the things that folks obsess about here attendance and fan engagement is probably 1 of the more impt things to be concerned with. That is much more impactful on our on court success than whether you can bring a beer to your seat at the Ryan but how much is that talked about here??
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago If it is a sellout, I’d Like to see Cooley’s face after he insinuated “you people” wouldn’t go to every home game after we played them.

What an absolute clown that guy is, and an even bigger clown statement that was.

URI is poised for a season average attendance above 6k for the 2nd time in the last three seasons. It will have averaged over 6k for the 45 home games in the last three years which is about 80% capacity for the Ryan Center. Only PC and UConn with venues many thousands of seats larger will have better attendance in New England.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I really think whether the game has 7800 or 7300 or 6800 doesn’t matter much. Much of the selling of those 300 level seats are at very low cost, if not free. I think the team plays the same whether there are 6800 or 7800.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Is st Joes game part of mini plan ??
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Considering Saturday's game is during long Presidents' Day weekend with many students going home, the swing factor in attendance will be the student turnout.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Is st Joes game part of mini plan ??
No
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Is st Joes game part of mini plan ??
No. It was not an assigned game for the five game packages. URI did however have a three game package where you could personally choose the games.

I had this game pegged as drawing the smallest crowd in the last three games given it was not an attractive opponent and was not part of any package. St Louis is a far more appealing opponent that will also be on the weekend (Sunday) and is part of the five game plan. Dayton is the most attractive opponent in the A-10 and will be highly ranked when it visits. Despite it being midweek with a late 9pm start time, I still expect the Flyers game to sell out.

URI is positioned to challenge its best Ryan Center season average attendance of 6,217 set back in 2018-19. If it were to average more than 7,562 for the last three games, a new high mark would be set.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And strangely there are tons of tickets left for the Dayton game. Is the Wednesday night 9:00 start scaring people away?
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago And strangely there are tons of tickets left for the Dayton game. Is the Wednesday night 9:00 start scaring people away?
still some time on this one...I wouldn't be worried about Dayton senior night attendance.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago And strangely there are tons of tickets left for the Dayton game. Is the Wednesday night 9:00 start scaring people away?
still some time on this one...I wouldn't be worried about Dayton senior night attendance.
Even if all seats aren't sold, possibly due the 9 o'clock start, I would expect the students will fill any unsold seats. You're right, it still almost 3 weeks out. I expect 8000+ for this one.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

It's not that bizarre. I read a previous post by RollRams saying it looked like a near sellout. I was curious so I went to the web site, saw there really weren't many green dots at all and quickly estimated. I didn't physically count each dot, but rather, "this row looks like it's about 12," "there's another 3", etc and added them to about 130 in the 300 and another 20 in the 100 and 200 sections, so about 150 give or take. I'm sure for longer rows of green I may have been off, as it was a rough visual count. That said, you wouldn't be far off if you assumed I had a bit too much time on my hands earlier :lol: :lol: :lol:

But what I don't know is if the grey dots are actually sold or if they just haven't been made available.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I doubt the St Joseph’s game is down to so very few seats. Bad opponent. I’ll be surprised if 7800 people are there Saturday, or even over 7000.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago I doubt the St Joseph’s game is down to so very few seats. Bad opponent. I’ll be surprised if 7800 people are there Saturday, or even over 7000.
Damn Ramster, who pissed in your Wheaties today?
1 x