2/11 | Dayton | 7:30PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

2/11 | Dayton | 7:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs University of Dayton
University of Dayton Arena, Dayton, OH
Tuesday, February 11, 2020
7:30PM

Media
TV: CBSSN
Online: CBSSN
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101)
Tune In Radio

Previews:
Dayton’s Fan Forum
Another Dayton’s Fan Forum
Blackburn Review

Ohhhh Shit! It is the game that everyone has been waiting for. The top 2 teams in the A10 battle head to head as URI travels to Dayton to take on the Flyers. As of this writing, Dayton is the number 6 team in the country, 21-2 overall and a perfect 10-0 in conference play. Dayton’s only two losses are neutral court OT losses to #4 Kansas & a soon to be ranked Colorado team. Dayton has rolled the competition this year apart from St Louis, who has kept it close in both match-ups. UD Arena is a very tough place to play & their 13,400+ are going to get “Lowd”. Rhody has won 3 of the last 4 in Dayton, so they shouldn’t be too intimidated playing there. The Flyers are led by sophomore stud & player of the year candidate Obi Toppin. Hmmm..Toppin, Toppin, Toppin…Why does that name ring a bell. Oh yeah, unless you have been living under a rock, you know that Obi is URI’s own Jacob Toppin’s older brother. Fatts would be run away A10 player of the year if it wasn’t for Obi. The Flyer’s Toppin is a match-up nightmare, as he is 6’ 9” (taller than anyone on Rhody) and handles the ball like a guard & can bury the 3. Dayton has been shooting lights out all year, 52.4% as a team & they have 2 players (Toppin & Landers) both shooting over 60%. In addition, the Flyers has 3 guys shooting over 40% from deep this season. Along with Obi the Flyers have another 1st conference A10 player in Jalen Crutcher. Flyer fans will tell you Crutcher is better than Fatts, but a lot of that has to do with Crutcher being on the same court of Obi. Teams are focusing on Obi that Crutcher gets a little bit more free space to operate. The Rams, like the Flyers, play a tight rotation of 8 guys so if this game is called tight by the refs it could be interesting. With that being said URI should come into this game around 5-point underdogs and I think Rhody sneaks out the victory 75-73. Go Rhody!! LFG!!!!!!!!!!

Opponent
Record:
21-2, 10-0 in the A10
Last season: 21-12, 13-5 in the A10

Rankings:
RPI: 5
KenPom: 6
NCAA NET: 5
BPI: 8

Leaders :
Points – Obi Toppin 19.6 (Soph., F)
Rebounds – Obi Toppin, 7.8 (Soph., F)
Assists – Jalen Crutcher, 5.2 (Jr., G) (2.0 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 17-19
H: 9-6, A: 7-9, N: 1-4
Most Recent Matchup: 3/1/19 72-70(OT) W at Dayton
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 13.7% Chance of URI Winning
4 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/11 | Dayton | 7:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by RF1 »

URI has more A-10 wins at UD Arena than any other current league member. Rhody is 7-9 all time there and have won five of the last eight games played at the venue.

From the UD media guide:
Dayton-URI Meetings
Screenshot_2020-02-09 2019 20 MBB Media Guide (PDF) - University of Dayton Athletics.png
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

For all the PC fans that read our board let me be clear...this is our 2nd biggest game of the year. Our biggest game of the year will be when Dayton comes to Ryan Center. Sorry to burst your bubble.
18 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

As far as Dayton, run multiple guys (Cyril, Twan, Jermaine) at Obi but they shoot too well to double him. Let him get his within reason and try to limit the other guys - Crutcher, Watson, Landers. Out physical them and keep it close and let our experienced guard play lead us to the promise land.
5 x
UD90
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by UD90 »

I watched URI take it to VCU last month and said that is the team to beat. Tenacious on the boards with shooters. I'm a big believer in Ken Pom predictions, but not in this case. I expect this to be another buzzer beater. Hoping it falls our way of course. I've seen too many buzzer daggers come our way and left our arena upset. Here is to a great match up. I'll be happy with a split this year.

On another note I'm dreading watching Toppin develop over the next 2 years for you guys. Still trying to figure out how we lost him to you guys! Good luck and expect to see a game of runs. Just hoping the zebras let the game flow.
16 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Yo, Dayton fans, the Fatts Russell show is coming to town!!!
6 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

UD90 wrote: 4 years ago I watched URI take it to VCU last month and said that is the team to beat. Tenacious on the boards with shooters. I'm a big believer in Ken Pom predictions, but not in this case. I expect this to be another buzzer beater. Hoping it falls our way of course. I've seen too many buzzer daggers come our way and left our arena upset. Here is to a great match up. I'll be happy with a split this year.

On another note I'm dreading watching Toppin develop over the next 2 years for you guys. Still trying to figure out how we lost him to you guys! Good luck and expect to see a game of runs. Just hoping the zebras let the game flow.
The refs will dictate a lot in this game. Good luck, always love a healthy rivalry.
5 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

After Tre torched us for 30 in the Umass game I worry that Obi will do something similar.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago After Tre torched us for 30 in the Umass game I worry that Obi will do something similar.
I would be okay with Obi getting 30, as long as we can shut down everyone else. Let him go 1 on 1 with our bigs. He’ll probable score 20+, but I think that’ll be okay. Play to our strengths and I think we can pull this one out. Fingers crossed the zebras call this one even. I saw a few calls in the SLU game Saturday that looked like they favored Obi just because they know who he is. I know he’s really good, but he doesn’t need any help from the refs.
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

I think we actually match up pretty well against Dayton. Fatts will prove he is the better player then Crutcher and paired with jeff we have better backcourt. We should be able to win the rebounding battle as that is one of Daytons only weakness.

Have to avoid to many guys crashing on Obi cant leave there shooters wide open looks. We have the ability to play aggressive D like SLU, the only team to give dayton a hard time thus far in conference. But unlike SLU we have the ability to turn that D into offense.

Not saying this will lead to a sure fire or even likely win but we play our game this game should hopefully go down to the wire.

Lets steal this one and show the NCAA world this isnt just dayton and then everyone else in the A10
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We can definitely beat this team. The key is how the refs call the game. How physical will they let Cyril be with Toppin? Will they allow Fatts to be in Crutcher's jock strap? If they're calling it close and we get early fouls, especially on those two I mentioned, we could be in trouble. If they allow us to be physical and play our style of defense, I feel we can win this game. Let 'em play!!!
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

UD90 wrote: 4 years ago I watched URI take it to VCU last month and said that is the team to beat. Tenacious on the boards with shooters. I'm a big believer in Ken Pom predictions, but not in this case. I expect this to be another buzzer beater. Hoping it falls our way of course. I've seen too many buzzer daggers come our way and left our arena upset. Here is to a great match up. I'll be happy with a split this year.

Jacob came to a uri-ud game to watch Obi play and fell in love with Rhody and signed. Thanks for that. To be fair he was a scheduled recruiting visit to Rhody that worked giving us the recruiting win.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago

Jacob came to a uri-ud game to watch Obi play and fell in love with Rhody and signed. Thanks for that. To be fair he was a scheduled recruiting visit to Rhody that worked giving us the recruiting win.
Don't forget, Obi wanted to come to URI too.
6 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I appreciate UD90 on KB. An example of how we can all be courteous and civil yet support our respective teams.

Could you imagine someone from VCU or ZooMass doing the same?
13 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago

Don't forget, Obi wanted to come to URI too.
I’ve heard rumors we didn’t offer because he was an academic risk but would he have accepted if we did?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

MUST. WIN.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Crutcher took a few Wild, pull up, contested 3s yesterday against St Louis. Some of them seemed like borderline bad shots, let’s hope he takes more of those Tuesday.
0 x
Go Rhody
UD90
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by UD90 »

Jacob's story sounds like Obi's. Obi thought he was going to Daytona, Florida. Watched a game in Dayton and signed. True story. Practicing with the team for a year definitely paid dividends. I really expect Jacob to develop similarly. Obi grew 7 inches from high school to now.

URI always has good guards. Fatts is pretty special. Crutcher is solid and exceptional at the buzzer (aka Clutcher). Dayton has definitely improved their physicality since the Colorado game. Playing the rugby players from SLU twice does that to you. Dayton's strength is we have 8 players that probably would've started for any other Dayton team. As the season has progressed teams have figured out how to interrupt our passing lanes. Our offense was a thing of beauty until the past few weeks.

The way to beat us is stop our transition, hammer us on the boards, and hope we have a cold shooting night from the perimeter.

Kenpom.com has us winning 79-68, but I don't see that. I think URI has looked exceptional lately and we've looked OK. Some of it has been trying to develop Tshiminga as a 2nd big banger for the NCAA if Obi gets in foul trouble. Expect Tshiminga to get 8/5 and foul out.

Any way - good luck again and I'm sure the zebras will give both sides plenty to complain about. 🙂
11 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........Now Team Rankings has this; to Dance 92%......A10 record at 15-3, season 23-7.......they rank us #51(say what?)with 20% chance to beat their #11 ranked Flyers.......Go Rhody
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

I appreciate UD90 on KB. An example of how we can all be courteous and civil yet support our respective teams.

Could you imagine someone from VCU or ZooMass doing the same?
Dayton has great fans who know the game and above all have perspective.
12 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

UD90 wrote: 4 years ago Jacob's story sounds like Obi's. Obi thought he was going to Daytona, Florida. Watched a game in Dayton and signed. True story. Practicing with the team for a year definitely paid dividends. I really expect Jacob to develop similarly. Obi grew 7 inches from high school to now.

URI always has good guards. Fatts is pretty special. Crutcher is solid and exceptional at the buzzer (aka Clutcher). Dayton has definitely improved their physicality since the Colorado game. Playing the rugby players from SLU twice does that to you. Dayton's strength is we have 8 players that probably would've started for any other Dayton team. As the season has progressed teams have figured out how to interrupt our passing lanes. Our offense was a thing of beauty until the past few weeks.

The way to beat us is stop our transition, hammer us on the boards, and hope we have a cold shooting night from the perimeter.

Kenpom.com has us winning 79-68, but I don't see that. I think URI has looked exceptional lately and we've looked OK. Some of it has been trying to develop Tshiminga as a 2nd big banger for the NCAA if Obi gets in foul trouble. Expect Tshiminga to get 8/5 and foul out.

Any way - good luck again and I'm sure the zebras will give both sides plenty to complain about. 🙂
Extremely fair write up. Personally I’m excited to see the Harris/Toppin matchup. I think that’s where the game will be won/lost for us.

I’ve been critical of Harris’ low post defense - but I don’t get the sense that Obi wants to bang. I feel like he plays face up/iso and tries to drive. That, IMO, is where Harris can hold his own as an athlete and defender. It will be a fun matchup to watch.

The key for Rhody will be how well Harris can get wide and slow down Toppins entries off the bounce. If he can hold his own and at least slow Obi down (no one in the country is stopping him), I like Rhody’s chances to run Dayton off the 3 point line and find a way to win.

Thanks for being part of a fan base that can discuss basketball and not be a total miscreant.
11 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
too bad only this Zapruder Film quality version is left on youtube...

2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe Cyril starts out on Obi and not JH ???
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

A win at Dayton would basically lock up an at large bid for us. A loss doesn't really hurt us, so I hope it's a competitive game. We have set ourselves up for a great game on Tuesday!!!!!
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Idk I would start with Jermaine on him for the simple fact is we want to be physical with him early. So if we pick up a couple quick fouls I would rather it be Jermaine then Cyril. Then I would move Cyril over to OBi and bring walker or Jacon in and switch to the other guy on dayton. We have to be physical with obi in order to have a chance. Get a body on him every shot attempt by boxing him out. St louis always has a chance because they are a good rebounding physical defensive team. Well we can play that way too and we have a better offense. It's just we have to bring our A game on defense and it has to be highly physical.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Gotta keep it close, and we have a good chance. No early foul trouble from our "bigs". Can't wait.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Jacob starts the game for Cyril and takes Obi, shortly after Harris wins the tip of course, Langevine subs in, Jacob gets in his brother's shorts on D like he has a hundred times growing up. Who could possibly know him or anticipate his moves better?
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Jacob starts the game for Cyril and takes Obi, shortly after Harris wins the tip of course, Langevine subs in, Jacob gets in his brother's shorts on D like he has a hundred times growing up. Who could possibly know him or anticipate his moves better?
Just said the same thing to my wife earlier today. Driveway match-up for those two!
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Jacob starts the game for Cyril and takes Obi, shortly after Harris wins the tip of course, Langevine subs in, Jacob gets in his brother's shorts on D like he has a hundred times growing up. Who could possibly know him or anticipate his moves better?
Would love to be wrong but I'd question if Jacob can bring the necessary level of physicality we need on Obi.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I wanna see Jarmaine on Obi first, see what he can do w/o picking up cheap quickies on holding firm to the back down, make him pass it out......come on Jermane, Tuesday is the time......Go Rhody.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

As a Dayton Alum , I have watched all of their games this season . Most of the posters pretty much have Dayton pegged . don't double anyone
including Obie . Hit the boards . despite their size , the Flyers are not quite as aggressive as the Rams on the glass. force Dayton to shoot contested threes . continue to play the suffocating defense . Be patient , take good shots and limit the turnovers. Again , the Flyers are a very good defensive
team , but they are just slightly less aggressive than the Rams . Don't let Dayton get on an early roll with uncontested threes because they will bury
them . If Dayton thought the SLU defense was tough , they are going to see an even quicker , active hands version in URI . Wouldn't want to bet
any large amounts on either team . I think this is an even money game because I think Rhody is playing marginally better right now and Dayton has
not been quite as sharp for a while . But Dayton is capable of playing at a level that can beat anybody . Should be a great game.
6 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Harris will start on Obi just like he did with Santos-Silva
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I like it big body and hopefully he stays on his feet and makes Obi make contested shots over him ??
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Everything that has transpired over the last 10 games, needs to take place here to win.

Emphasis on taking care of the ball. Emphasis on not wasting possession on Offense.

Defensive intensity.

And maybe a little second half rope a dope magic sprinkled in.

Everything needs to click and no one can take a night off.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

They just need to play this game like it's the A10 finals and the NCAAT is on the line.
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Stay out of foul trouble. This game is going to be very physical, and if the officials don't let them play, they are going to be calling them left and right, and also looking to T someone up. Don't be that guy.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

I think the key is to not focus on stopping Toppin. He's going to get his no matter what you do, cant let him beat you with his playmaking. Let him get his points, and stay locked down on everyone else so you dont get killed by the secondary scoring of guys like Crutcher and Miksell

Toppin creates so many open looks for them, if we can make their lives hell it'll go a long way to winning
4 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Run them off the 3 point line and make them take 2s instead of 3s.
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago Run them off the 3 point line and make them take 2s instead of 3s.

Good
2 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

It has been my position since the Richmond game that the next game is the biggest game of the year....and if we win it.....the next game becomes the biggest game of the year.....well, the next game is Dayton.....hence it is the biggest game of the year.....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Mikesell is a guy that worries me. Our 3 guards can matchup fine with their 3 guards, and Obi is going to be a handful no matter who covers him. So it's going to be important for whoever out of Harris and Cyril that is not guarding Obi does a solid job against Mikesell. Big body that can shoot it from deep. Could be a matchup problem if he plays mostly on the perimeter, which I imagine he will to free up Obi down low. He scored 23 in the OT loss for them last year.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Mikesell is a guy that worries me. Our 3 guards can matchup fine with their 3 guards, and Obi is going to be a handful no matter who covers him. So it's going to be important for whoever out of Harris and Cyril that is not guarding Obi does a solid job against Mikesell. Big body that can shoot it from deep. Could be a matchup problem if he plays mostly on the perimeter, which I imagine he will to free up Obi down low. He scored 23 in the OT loss for them last year.
I don’t think Mikesell is very good. He hasn’t played well in the games I have watched recently. He shoots 27.9% from three. Avgs 9.3 ppg and 4.9rebs. He is 1-18 from three in his last eight games and 4-24 in A10 play. Fire away. Avg 7.5 ppg in A10 play.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Mikesell is a guy that worries me. Our 3 guards can matchup fine with their 3 guards, and Obi is going to be a handful no matter who covers him. So it's going to be important for whoever out of Harris and Cyril that is not guarding Obi does a solid job against Mikesell. Big body that can shoot it from deep. Could be a matchup problem if he plays mostly on the perimeter, which I imagine he will to free up Obi down low. He scored 23 in the OT loss for them last year.
I like Mekhi on him.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Dayton’s forum is dead. Surprising considering how large their fan base is.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Chatman has struggled in A10 play as well. I don’t know when he started wearing the mask. He is 5-24 from three, averaging 6.5 ppg, has 20 Ast and 20 turnovers.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
I don’t think Mikesell is very good. He hasn’t played well in the games I have watched recently. He shoots 27.9% from three. Avgs 9.3 ppg and 4.9rebs. He is 1-18 from three in his last eight games and 4-24 in A10 play. Fire away. Avg 7.5 ppg in A10 play.
In general I agree with you. I just see a potential matchup problem that could be exploited. It works the other way to though. Hopefully whoever he has to cover can take advantage offensively on the inside and rebounding.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
I like Mekhi on him.
I like that to. Tough physical player coming on for spurts could knock him off his game.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
In general I agree with you. I just see a potential matchup problem that could be exploited. It works the other way to though. Hopefully whoever he has to cover can take advantage offensively on the inside and rebounding.
That doesn’t make sense. 6’7” white guy that likes to shoot the three but is 1-18 in last eight games concerns you from a match up standpoint. If you read the post by the Dayton fan, the reason Dayton has struggled offensively lately is because of Mikesell and Chatman.

And picking Rhody’s 8th man and player with the lowest minutes per game to defend Mikesell doesn’t make sense either. Mekhi plays 13 minutes per game and is really struggling offensively.
0 x