That's Enough, Fordham...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

That's Enough, Fordham...

Unread post by Blue Man »

Great timeline and solid history of why Fordham never belonged in the A10:

https://www.blackburnreview.com/2020/02 ... h-fordham/

To be honest I thought he could've gone even harder at them, nevermind for how woefully inept they are as a program, but for what damage they do to the rest of the conference.

Their mere existence brings down the entire conference's NCAA hopes year in and year out. Based on their track record - I'm not sure they would have EVER been at least a Q2 win for anyone, in any scenario.

They have NEVER brought in one single dollar of NCAA units to the A10 coffers.

For example, these programs are still contibuting $$ from NCAA revenue thanks to tourney runs in the last 7 years:

Dayton - 9 units
VCU - 8 units
SLU - 5 units
URI - 4 units
La Salle - 4 units
Davidson - 3 units
Joes - 3 units
Bonnies - 2 units
GW - 1 unit
UMass - 1 unit

Richmond contributed a ton during the 2000's, and they're usually a competitive team. Not a drain on the league at all.

GMU hasn't contributed anything since joining the A10 - but their name carries some weight thanks to the 06 Final Four. They're not a guaranteed Q4 game either.

Duquesne is not off the hook, but at least they've started to invest and they're not a guaranteed Q4 game.

That leaves Fordham to be on an iceberg floating to any other conference. Them just being on an A10 schedule is enough to bring metrics down to get our bubble teams on the wrong side year after year.

Find a way to boot them. PLEASE.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: That's Enough, Fordham...

Unread post by section(105) »

......great read, thx for posting....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Lasalle needs to go with them. Trade their coach to Umass and boot them too. They had 1 miracle run which will likely never be duplicated.
Anyone that plays in a bad high school gym needs to go.
6 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Lasalle needs to go with them. Trade their coach to Umass and boot them too. They had 1 miracle run which will likely never be duplicated.
Anyone that plays in a bad high school gym needs to go.
Plus we already have a team from Philadelphia. I think less is more and in favor of booting any teams that aren't carrying their weight (LaSalle, Fordham, etc.), but in the event we were looking to expand I would welcome someone like Belmont to hit the Nashville market (I live here, so I have a bias).

Fordham is just atrocious. If we aren't giving them the boot hopefully someone like Jared Grasso will have a chance to come in and see if he can somehow convince enough recruits to stick around for four years and contribute to a program rebuild.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

What the A-10 leadership should do is put a minimum seating requirement on paper for league compliance, like what D1 football does.

Require every team to have a minimum 4000 seat arena OR have begun renovations to grow seating to 4000 seats by the start of academic year 2020. Make it 2021 if you want to be nice for some reason.

La Salle at least has the argument that the 4 (and only NCAA units they've ever provided the A10 from 2013's Sweet 16 run) are still paying. That arena is a joke and a safety risk for players running into walls at either end though.

Duquesne is at least a founding member of the A10, and at least are FINALLY investing in upgrades for their arena and look to have a semi-competent coach.

No matter what you do with anyone else - Fordham needs to go. The "NY footprint" doesn't do anything in 2020 but allow you to say to an NY recruit - hey your family/friends can see you once or twice a year. The "media market" argument is gone thanks to technology.

Also we do the tournament in Brooklyn. Also, if a recruit is important enough you can guarantee transportation to any of the games within a few hours of NY to that recruit - UMass, La Salle, St Joes, St Bonnies, and all the Ryan Center games.

If it really matters - try and add ANY of these NY metro area teams that at least want to be competitive/have the facilities:

Hofstra - Hempstead, NY
Manhattan - Bronx, NY (if they upgraded their gym)
Iona - New Rochelle, NY (if they upgraded their gym)
Stony Brook - Stony Brook, NY

But enough is enough. Fordham has definitely cost the A10 bids. If someone really felt like going back to all the A10 bubble teams that missed the dance, and took Fordham off the schedule, I bet those metrics get you on the right side.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Take this with a grain of salt. The Blackburn Review has a long history of biting commentary. Furthermore, the Dayton fan base ponders conference changes more than any other in the A-10 and is not really representative of the whole league. They either dream of Big East invites that will never come (Xavier will do everything possible to keep them out) or reconfiguration of the A-10 that is not likely. Their fans talk more than those of any other league member about kicking out A-10 schools such as Fordham and LaSalle for a lack of on court success and commitment (financially and fan support).

While many fans of some A-10 programs may want Fordham out, keep in mind that half (7) of the A-10 is made of Catholic schools, many of which have low enrollments and play in small gyms. Schools getting booted out of a league has rarely ever been done and I don't think there is an appetite for such a thing at the administrations of many A-10 members which would have to vote on this.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Good article. It’s over due.
1 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......I always enjoy these conversations on who to add(or not) and why or why not.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
skclayramsfan
Abdul Fox

Unread post by skclayramsfan »

I also follow the big ten and had felt this way about Rutgers since they joined. However, this year they have been in and out of the top 25. That being said I don't think that will ever happen with Fordham. The Fordham gym really shows what kind of commitment they have to their program.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I agree with RF1 about Dayton fans who emulate in some respects the West Virginia fans who were perennially unhappy in any league they were in. I hope they've finally found happiness in the Big 12.

Fordham changing conferences may be good thing all around, but I think that decision properly should be initiated by the good fathers of the Fordham administration.

And don't think for a minute that Dayton wouldn't snap up an invite to the Big East and with the return of UConn that league moves to 11 teams, a odd number, which provides the best justification for the BE to expand. And where do you think they would look for new members. And if you don't think the A-10 AD's are not talking about this, then you are not reading the tea leaves
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I would much rather see the league go down to 12 teams and eliminate Fordham and Lasalle, addition by subtraction.

IF the league was insistent on adding a team to offset the losses the no brainer IMO is Siena. They play in an 8k arena, in the capital of NY state and in a very talent rich area for recruiting. They would be a natural rival for Bonnies. Put them in the A10 their recruiting would greatly improve and IMO they would compete at worse in the middle of the conference in most years. Another one to look at would be Stony Brook who is committed to sports and also from a talent rich area (Long Island). Northeastern, Hofstra, Belmont, Iona don't do it for me.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago I agree with RF1 about Dayton fans who emulate in some respects the West Virginia fans who were perennially unhappy in any league they were in. I hope they've finally found happiness in the Big 12.

Fordham changing conferences may be good thing all around, but I think that decision properly should be initiated by the good fathers of the Fordham administration.

And don't think for a minute that Dayton wouldn't snap up an invite to the Big East and with the return of UConn that league moves to 11 teams, a odd number, which provides the best justification for the BE to expand. And where do you think they would look for new members. And if you don't think the A-10 AD's are not talking about this, then you are not reading the tea leaves
From what I know there is no way Xavier would allow Dayton in the league. They would probably go after St Louis.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......a Vermont?
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Take this with a grain of salt. The Blackburn Review has a long history of biting commentary. Furthermore, the Dayton fan base ponders conference changes more than any other in the A-10 and is not really representative of the whole league. They either dream of Big East invites that will never come (Xavier will do everything possible to keep them out) or reconfiguration of the A-10 that is not likely. Their fans talk more than those of any other league member about kicking out A-10 schools such as Fordham and LaSalle for a lack of on court success and commitment (financially and fan support).

While many fans of some A-10 programs may want Fordham out, keep in mind that half (7) of the A-10 is made of Catholic schools, many of which have low enrollments and play in small gyms. Schools getting booted out of a league has rarely ever been done and I don't think there is an appetite for such a thing at the administrations of many A-10 members which would have to vote on this.
Not for nothing, Dayton has contributed far more to this conference than they gain from it. So I certainly don't mind them pondering those changes.

An A-10 reconfiguration that drops one or two historically poor teams who refuse to invest in their basketball infrastructure is one that benefits the remaining 12 or 13.

If you put an arbitrary number out there of 4000 seats - you would only lose 2 gymnasiums - Rose Hill and Tom Gola.

I am sure if you put a case in front of the A10 members that showed Fordham's endowment size ($730M) compared to their investments in the program - I can't help but think those other schools would be furious.

If you showed president's and AD's a cost/benefit analysis and tracked how much each school has brought in to the A-10 via NCAA money or televised games - against what each school has been provided from the A-10 communal pot...I would bet you'd see a HUGE red number next to Fordham.

FYI A10 Endowments -

Richmond - $2.5B
VCU - $1.85B
GW - $1.8B
St Louis - $1.23B
Davidson - $821M
Fordham - $730M
Dayton - $570M
Duquesne - $370M
UMass - $350M
St Joes - $280M
URI's - $139M
La Salle - $88M
GMU - $85M
St Bona - $74M

It's not that Fordham doesn't have the money, it's that they REFUSE to invest in basketball. That's their prerogative and it's fine. Move to a conference where competition isn't the priority.

The A-10 is a basketball only conference. It's a top 10 conference year in and year out. It's objective is to make money for itself and it's members. The only way you make money in a basketball only conference is NCAA and TV contracts. The only way you get to the NCAA money or major TV contracts is by having good teams playing each other.

On top of that, the A10 is NOT a 1 bid league. Which means we depend on revenue from 1 or more at large bids. You NEED good metrics to get those at large bids...which are getting tougher and tougher for the non-P5 to get. Fordham KILLS everyone in that regard.

Fordham continually screws everyone else and pockets all the money everyone else earns for them.

The contribute NOTHING and take EVERYTHING. For anyone suggesting that Fordham should leave on their own accord...why would they? The A-10 is a cash cow that probably funds their athletic department because they invest so little into it. What is their incentive to leave?

Provide them incentive to invest or force them out...because right now they just get to sit around and collect a paycheck that could be going to schools willing to win and invest the money they earned into their own programs.
Last edited by Blue Man 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

I have wanted the A10 to trim the fat for quite some time but always have wondered on the process...When was the last time (other than big east kicking out football teams) a conference has forced out a school. Also is this something that needs to be voted on by all the schools can the A10 comish do this?
0 x
Clapton is God
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Take this with a grain of salt. The Blackburn Review has a long history of biting commentary. Furthermore, the Dayton fan base ponders conference changes more than any other in the A-10 and is not really representative of the whole league. They either dream of Big East invites that will never come (Xavier will do everything possible to keep them out) or reconfiguration of the A-10 that is not likely. Their fans talk more than those of any other league member about kicking out A-10 schools such as Fordham and LaSalle for a lack of on court success and commitment (financially and fan support).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Xavier helpful in also getting Dayton into the A10 in 1995? Of course times may have (and seemingly) have changed since if Xavier would keep Dayton out of the BE. And while I don't want to morph this thread into something else, it's aggravating the sheer amount of teams the BE has stolen from the A10. You could make a great conference out of that list (3 of which are in the current BE).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

For years, I've wished I could buy Fordham for what it's worth and sell it for what the administration thinks it's worth.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
skclayramsfan
Abdul Fox

Unread post by skclayramsfan »

Is it somehow good for Fordham to consistently get blown out and never compete in the conference? Wouldn't they be better off in a smaller conference where they occasionally had a prayer at an auto-bid? Do they just like staying in the A-10 for the tv deal and tourney money they receive? I don't really understand the benefits from their perspective.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Xavier helpful in also getting Dayton into the A10 in 1995? Of course times may have (and seemingly) have changed since if Xavier would keep Dayton out of the BE. And while I don't want to morph this thread into something else, it's aggravating the sheer amount of teams the BE has stolen from the A10. You could make a great conference out of that list (3 of which are in the current BE).
Different time and circumstances. Xavier back then looked up to Dayton. Roles reversed today. Xavier, despite its long history with UD and distance of just 55 miles, will not even play the Flyers today in a single OOC game. They have not played one another in a regularly scheduled (non-tournament) game since Feb-2013 when they were both back in the A-10. Since Xavier joined the Big East, it has wanted nothing to do with Dayton.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I would much rather see the league go down to 12 teams and eliminate Fordham and Lasalle, addition by subtraction.

IF the league was insistent on adding a team to offset the losses the no brainer IMO is Siena. They play in an 8k arena, in the capital of NY state and in a very talent rich area for recruiting. They would be a natural rival for Bonnies. Put them in the A10 their recruiting would greatly improve and IMO they would compete at worse in the middle of the conference in most years. Another one to look at would be Stony Brook who is committed to sports and also from a talent rich area (Long Island). Northeastern, Hofstra, Belmont, Iona don't do it for me.
I totally agree with the addition of Siena if conditions warranted it. One correction, Siena plays in the Times Union Center which holds 17,000. For Siena games they may cordon off the second level to keep the capacity lower.

Also, Siena has consistently bettered URI on average attendance over the last 15 years - their record is 7,626 in 09-10 and they have recorded average attendance above URI's in nine of those years. And when you consider that Siena has had only 5 winning seasons in 15 years, you have to be impressed.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago I agree with RF1 about Dayton fans who emulate in some respects the West Virginia fans who were perennially unhappy in any league they were in. I hope they've finally found happiness in the Big 12.

11 is actually a perfect number for their 20 game schedule.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I would much rather see the league go down to 12 teams and eliminate Fordham and Lasalle, addition by subtraction.

I totally agree with the addition of Siena if conditions warranted it. One correction, Siena plays in the Times Union Center which holds 17,000. For Siena games they may cordon off the second level to keep the capacity lower.

Also, Siena has consistently bettered URI on average attendance over the last 15 years - their record is 7,626 in 09-10 and they have recorded average attendance above URI's in nine of those years. And when you consider that Siena has had only 5 winning seasons in 15 years, you have to be impressed.
I didn't dig into the Siena piece because I was playing at the "NY metro foothold" argument everyone brings up about Fordham...but holy crap those attendance numbers are no joke for a historically losing program. With that kind of a built in fan base, I wonder if the MAAC would accept a trade?
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

the A10 is not kicking people out. when it didn't kick out the bonnies for the welding certificate scandal, they aren't kicking out a team just because they aren't good enough.

Also URI people need to be careful of the stones we throw. we went a decade not contributing $$$ to the A10 and were more often then not a drag on a teams RPI. until 2017, we were in the same list as the Dukes and Fordham (though admittedly URI rarely got the hate LaSalle,DU,Fordham got)
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I havent really thought about the fact they basically pay for their basketball program by taking all the hard earned cash of the rest of the league.

I mean, that has to be why they'd stick around.

How can we not kick them out? Can there be a league wide petition?

I also like the idea of Siena. Seems obvious.

If we got rid of La Salle then Vermont wouldn't be bad. They're always good not sure what their ceiling is though.

Maybe Akron or Cleveland State?

As long as we get rid of Fordham it's a huge plus.

They are so annoying to play too. They almost always upset somebody with one of their future transfers.

Nick Honor was the only reason they could beat us and he is an ACC player now.

They've had as many great players as anybody over the years it seems like.

Marcus Stout
Bryant Dunston
Chris Gaston
Eric Paschall
Jon Severe
Nick Honor

So many other annoying guards that have been lights out against us....
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

urirx wrote: 4 years ago the A10 is not kicking people out. when it didn't kick out the bonnies for the welding certificate scandal, they aren't kicking out a team just because they aren't good enough.

Also URI people need to be careful of the stones we throw. we went a decade not contributing $$$ to the A10 and were more often then not a drag on a teams RPI. until 2017, we were in the same list as the Dukes and Fordham (though admittedly URI rarely got the hate LaSalle,DU,Fordham got)

We weren't even close to as bad.

Before that we still got plenty of ESPN games and went to the NIT multiple years.

Jerry D's 2 years were awful.

Baron had 3 under 10 win debacles.

Dan had one.

Six seasons were dreadful. Otherwise our RPI was generally been top 100 or 150.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Xavier helpful in also getting Dayton into the A10 in 1995? Of course times may have (and seemingly) have changed since if Xavier would keep Dayton out of the BE. And while I don't want to morph this thread into something else, it's aggravating the sheer amount of teams the BE has stolen from the A10. You could make a great conference out of that list (3 of which are in the current BE).
Different time and circumstances. Xavier back then looked up to Dayton. Roles reversed today. Xavier, despite its long history with UD, will not even play the Flyers today in a single OOC game. They have not played one another in a regularly scheduled (non-tournament) game since Feb-2013 when they both back in the A-10. Since Xavier joined the Big East, it has wanted nothing to do with Dayton.
That is so petty and short sighted. I've never been an X fan (though I did root for them when they went to the tourney under the A 10 umbrella), but that grinds my gears. Though I now remember the first season after X bailed, coach Chris Mack trying to say in a tweet the A10 wasn't good enough to have that many teams in and shouldn't take an A10 team over X. I was pissed and responded to his tweet calling him out as a hypocrite.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

urirx wrote: 4 years ago the A10 is not kicking people out. when it didn't kick out the bonnies for the welding certificate scandal, they aren't kicking out a team just because they aren't good enough.

I'm going to throw a lot of stones especially since I've been throwing this same stone on the board since we moved it to Keaney Blue. I wonder if that same stone hit you in the head for even CONSIDERING URI to be on the same list as the Dukes or Fordham. I am not sure if I am more angry, upset, or amused that a URI fan could exist on this board and think that history ran from 2011-2013. WHO HURT YOU!?

The NCAA started allocating "units" of approximately 60% of the total revenue in the 1970s. Duquesne founded the league in 76. URI joined the A10 in 1980. Fordham in 95.

So first: URI has been to the NCAA 7 times earning a total of 15 units for the A10. Fordham joined in 1995 and has been to the tournament 0 times earning 0 total units for everyone else. Duquesne, also has a big 0 contributions in 45 years.

Second. URI while being historically "mediocre" by our standards, especially the Baron years, we very rarely are a "bad loss" or a harm to anyone's metrics. In addition to those NCAA years, URI has been a top 100 team 10 times. In the last 25 years, URI has failed to be a .500 team (bad loss) only 6 times. Usually around a coaching change. URI finished last 3 times - thanks Jerry D (tied with Dukes in 01 and Fordham/Dukes in 02).

Fordham has had a .500 or better record only 3 times. THREE TIMES. THAT MEANS THEY HAVE COST THE A10 A BID OR A SEED IN 21 of 24 YEARS. In 24 years. They have finished DEAD LAST TWELVE times. Literally every other year they are a disaster. They're making a run at luck 13 this year, and still have the only 0 win season in A10 history. Not only do they take money from every other school that's made the tournament, they make it harder on every other school to make the tournament.

Duquesne also has only been .500 or better 5 times in 25 years. FIVE. In that 25 year span? 6 last place finishes. They've helped cost A-10 teams a bid TWENTY OUT OF TWENTY FIVE times. Want to go back to 76? A total of 9 times. In 45 years. NINE. That they were a .500 or better team. Not good. But just "better than shitty."

Third, and what I view as most important: investment. URI makes it. Period. The Ryan Center is a premier venue for college sports. It's in the argument for the best arena in the A10. It's the 4th largest. URI has one of the lowest endowments in the A10 (also hamstrung thanks to our fantastic state government), and makes basketball a priority. We have 13k undergrads. Our team training facility is among the nicest in the country, not just the conference.

Duquesne is at least investing in their program NOW - even if it took them forever to do so. $45 million for a facelift to their 4400 seat arena, AND a practice facility.

Fordham doesn't invest SHIT. AND THEY HAVE THE MONEY. THEY HAVE 7X URI'S ENDOWMENT, ARE 2/3 THE SIZE, AND DO NOT HAVE ANY OF THE HAMSTRINGS OF BEING A PUBLIC UNIVERSITY. THEY COULD BUILD AN NBA QUALITY ARENA WITHOUT FUNDRAISING FOR IT AND NOT EVEN NOTICE THE MONEY MISSING.

All of that is fine. There is no rule that says what should be a priority at a university. That's why there are athletic conferences.

The A10 makes basketball a priority. Fordham does not. They do not belong. Period.

For even entertaining the thought that URI is to be mentioned in the same sentence as either of those programs, you should have to sit in the corner tonight and watch the game on your cell phone. I'm disgusted by your thoughts here.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Exactly! This isn't about having a couple bad years (due to coaching changes largely) this is about decades and decade of futility. Even putting us in the same sentence as Duquesne or Fordham is ridiculous. To put it in context, those horribly disappointing Baron years where we were on the doorstep to a bid only to blow it with a month of futility would literally be the best seasons in the history of Fordham or Duquesne basketball.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

All good points Blue Man. But I thought the Palumbo Center (Duquesne's arena) was somewhere around 7 or 8K (pre renovation - I think the reno will remove some seating).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

If I woke up tomorrow and heard news that Fordham was leaving just like when Charlotte did, I would be ecstatic. A conference is judged by the teams on the bottom much heavier than teams on the top (most times) and Fordham is an absolute ANCHOR.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

HASwatTeam wrote: 4 years ago If I woke up tomorrow and heard news that Fordham was leaving just like when Charlotte did, I would be ecstatic. A conference is judged by the teams on the bottom much heavier than teams on the top (most times) and Fordham is an absolute ANCHOR.
Disagree. I'm thinking that most folks, unless fans of teams in that conference...probably don't even know who the anchors are...jmo
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow been 25 years already ?? I remember thinking at the time that it was an awful addition

Even Iona or Siena would have been better ???
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago All good points Blue Man. But I thought the Palumbo Center (Duquesne's arena) was somewhere around 7 or 8K (pre renovation - I think the reno will remove some seating).
Duquesne's Palumbo Center seated some 5000 before a renovation occurred in 2010 when the seating was reduced to the current level of about 4400 with the installation of some chair back seating. The $45 million renovation now underway will modernize the facility with several new features, but capacity will stay about the same. The facility never seated anywhere near 7-8000. I have been in the Center several times and can attest to that.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago All good points Blue Man. But I thought the Palumbo Center (Duquesne's arena) was somewhere around 7 or 8K (pre renovation - I think the reno will remove some seating).
Duquesne's Palumbo Center seated some 5000 before a renovation occurred in 2010 when the seating was reduced to the current level of about 4400 with the installation of some chair back seating. The $45 million renovation now underway will modernize the facility with several new features, but capacity will stay about the same. The facility never seated anywhere near 7-8000. I have been in the Center several times and can attest to that.
Well then. They say the memory is first to go...
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Drop Fordham, add Siena. They have very good attendance which would most likely go up if they were in the A-10. Plus, they already have a rivalry with the Bonnies. They play for the Franciscan cup every year.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Get Fordham off our lawn damnit!
It just keeps shitting all over it!
2 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

Had a convo. tonight in the rhody pub with another rhody fan on this topic (didn't know this thread existed)

I said Fordham and either la salle, st.joe's or st. louis (geographically is my only argument) don't fit. when asked who i would replacement them with my go to's were vermont and buffalo.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like the trade off Fordham for Buffalo
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Fordham and LaSalle need to go. Don’t add any more teams as replacements. Of course this won’t happen unless FU and LaSalle ask to leave.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
steviep123
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago Fordham and LaSalle need to go. Don’t add any more teams as replacements. Of course this won’t happen unless FU and LaSalle ask to leave.
There was talk of LaSalle wanting to leave for the Patriot League a year or two ago, but I guess that never materialized.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This subject comes up every year as regularly as the Ground Hog comes out to see his shadow.
Nothing ever comes of it.

But I’d recommend you send your complaint about Fordham, LaSalle and Duquesne along with recommendations for A10 Replacement Teams (Sienna, Vermont, etc) to the A10 Commissioner. I’m sure she doesn’t read Keaney Blue but there is a high likelihood she would read a well written, passionate email from a URI Fan. You might even get a reply back, but complaining about this every year like it’s a rite of Spring to Keaney Blue Members is getting you nowhere.

Here is her email address.....

BERNEDETTE MCGLADE
TITLE Commissioner
EMAIL bmcglade@atlantic10.org

https://atlantic10.com/staff.aspx?staff=2
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

reef wrote: 4 years ago I like the trade off Fordham for Buffalo
Buffalo won't leave the Mid-American Conference because it needs a home for 1-A football, and the MAC won't allow football-only members (see Massachusetts, University of).
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I think an ultimatum for Fordham to either step up or step out is appropriate.
1 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

I’m not sure there is a real need to replace them with anyone. They do need to go. We know the rumor mill had LaSalle considering dropping down to the MAAC a couple years ago. They should be right behind them.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago I think an ultimatum for Fordham to either step up or step out is appropriate.
Whose going to give it to them?

Need who, when, where, how
0 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago
reef wrote: 4 years ago I like the trade off Fordham for Buffalo
Buffalo won't leave the Mid-American Conference because it needs a home for 1-A football, and the MAC won't allow football-only members (see Massachusetts, University of).

You're right Red, i wasn't thinking about football. they could always go independent lol. Though football is king $$
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

Belmont, Murray State, and Vermont would be my choices. Belmont and Vermont seem to have been built by just 1 coach, that makes me very nervous. Murray has been thru many coaches and just keeps chugging along. Fordham and LaSalle should leave.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......didn’t LaSalle recently go thru some sort of consultant “study” to determine their “state of the state” evaluation regarding Athletics, college mission, etc? And the results were staying put in the A-10?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago Belmont, Murray State, and Vermont would be my choices. Belmont and Vermont seem to have been built by just 1 coach, that makes me very nervous. Murray has been thru many coaches and just keeps chugging along. Fordham and LaSalle should leave.
Murray St would be excellent. Multiple coaches, multiple NBA players, big arena, consistent winning.
Last edited by Rhody15 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'm glad we were not having this conversation 5 years ago during the dark years of JD and JB enabled by RC.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!