2020 A10 Tournament Talk

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

2020 A10 Tournament Talk

Unread post by ramster »

VCU has a 3 page already thread about who would they rather face in the Semi Finals in the A10 Tournament - Dayton or URI

https://www.vcuramnation.com/forums/thr ... ton.18612/
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2020 A10 Tournament Talk

Unread post by section(105) »

.......just get the double bye, go from there....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago VCU has a 3 page already thread about who would they rather face in the Semi Finals in the A10 Tournament - Dayton or URI

Saw one poster say “I never want to play Rhode Island again.”

😂😂😂
8 x
Go Rhody
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago VCU has a 3 page already thread about who would they rather face in the Semi Finals in the A10 Tournament - Dayton or URI

Saw one poster say “I never want to play Rhode Island again.”

😂😂😂
Another good line from there:

"Barring injury, suspension, mercy or a corona virus outbreak in the state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, Dayton is the better matchup until next year."
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The pessimist in me says it’s very tough to win three games against a team in the same season.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

So hypothetically we finish off the season 7-2 (not saying who are loses are) what are people’s thoughts on how far we would have to go in the A10 tournament to start dancing? I know a lot depends on how we do in our two match ups with Dayton but I’m just looking to open this thread up and start the speculation
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

7-2 is fine as long as one of those losses isn't to Fordham or St. Joes.

Those would be resume killers, even with a win over Dayton.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

TrevlontRook3 wrote: 4 years ago So hypothetically we finish off the season 7-2 (not saying who are loses are) what are people’s thoughts on how far we would have to go in the A10 tournament to start dancing? I know a lot depends on how we do in our two match ups with Dayton but I’m just looking to open this thread up and start the speculation
I think going 7-2 down the stretch means we'll be 15-3 in the A10, good for 2nd place or better, and 23-7 over all. In theory it should be enough regardless of the tournament. In my totally unexpert opinion, either the two losses will contain at least one loss to Dayton or they will not. Losing to Dayton would be considered a Q1 loss, so not awful to the selection committee. If at least one of the losses is to other than Dayton, then it means we have at least one win vs. Dayton - a Q1 win in the eyes of the committee, which is good. But it would be offset by a potential bad loss. What we can't do is have a bad loss that requires us to beat Dayton. We need margin for error. I guess my real point is if we are considered in now, then going 7-2 down the stretch shouldn't contain enough losses to derail us because either the losses are to Dayton or we have at least one win vs. Dayton in the mix. Of course, it's never that simple, so let's just win and let other teams worry.
Last edited by steviep123 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’d like to avoid the Bonnies and Davidson on Friday, and VCU on Saturday.
Last edited by Rhody15 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

7-2 would mean a 15-3 conference record, not 16-2.

Otherwise all good.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I don't get the Davidson intimidation.
1 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago The pessimist in me says it’s very tough to win three games against a team in the same season.
What does the pessimist in you say about URI having won 8 of the last 9 games with VCU?
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago I don't get the Davidson intimidation.
They still have 2 all league players who can take over the game.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago The pessimist in me says it’s very tough to win three games against a team in the same season.
What does the pessimist in you say about URI having won 8 of the last 9 games with VCU?
We’re due to lose??? :lol: Pessimists will always have something to worry about.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago 7-2 would mean a 15-3 conference record, not 16-2.

Otherwise all good.
Sorry, that's what I meant and fixed it above. Thanks for pointing it out.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago
We’re due to lose??? :lol: Pessimists will always have something to worry about.
Read the VCU Thread regarding the 8 of the last 9. What does it tell you that many VCU Fans are saying they would prefer to play Dayton in the Semifinals of the A10 Tournament instead of URI. Enuff said
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Let’s say We lose @ Dayton, winning the rest, then having a number 1 in the country ranked Dayton undefeated in conference play coming into Kingston...
0 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Any of the top 8 or so teams could be dangerous in the A10 tournament. If I had my choice we’d play Duquesne and/or Richmond. I don’t think either are very good, but I especially want Richmond because I need to see URI flatten them this season. I have been killing Richmond all year and for that to be our one A10 loss to this point makes my blood boil. They stink.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Richmond doesn't stink though you keep insisting they do. If they get Francis back they will be a tough out, and I think we match up better against the more physical/athletic teams (ie Duquesne, VCU) than we do against the finesse teams (Richmond, Davidson, Bonnies). I'd prefer avoiding all of those 3 and roll the dice with the rest.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

No, they stink. I think if we show up for the game and are locked in, we would do the same thing to them that VCU did last week - maybe worse. They aren’t built for physicality. You can manhandle them.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

No matter who we play, we might need a win in the A10 quarterfinals to lock up an at large, if we reach that point.

So until then, we're getting ahead of ourselves as usual.

Guilty as charged.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That is true. Honestly, the A10 tourney is pretty unpredictable. Cinderellas are born in conference tournaments.
0 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago
That is true. Honestly, the A10 tourney is pretty unpredictable. Cinderellas are born in conference tournaments.
.......exactly, aka bid-stealers......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Like St. Louis last year.

Get hot at the right time.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

The Davidson factor is the same thing VCU is dealing with us. Davidson has dealt us some crushing blows over the years.

Every single top 8 team is dangerous.

Every single team is dangerous if you don't show up.

Personally as long as we're 1-3 I'm happy. Double bye and avoid any potential to see Dayton until the finals. JUST WIN THE NEXT GAME.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Like St. Louis last year.

Get hot at the right time.
And Davidson the year before and us to a smaller extent (yes, we were in with a loss to VCU in the championship game, but probably out with a semifinal loss to Davidson or a quarterfinal loss to SBU).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think I'm also just looking for the double bye and not too worried about matchups otherwise. As long as its us and Dayton at 1 and 2 so we'd matchup in the finals I will feel pretty good about our chances. I also wouldn't mind another shot at Richmond to.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Personally as long as we're 1-3 I'm happy. Double bye and avoid any potential to see Dayton until the finals. JUST WIN THE NEXT GAME.
I don't wanna fall to 3.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 - SEED is the Goal

Win the A10 Tournament is the Goal.

Nothing less. Win it for Jeff Dowtin and Cyril Langevine
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Personally as long as we're 1-3 I'm happy. Double bye and avoid any potential to see Dayton until the finals. JUST WIN THE NEXT GAME.
I don't wanna fall to 3.
Oh me neither. I figured I'd talk about this thread in terms of the A10 tourney and not our NCAA chances.

NCAA chances I don't want to even think of what 3 losses would do to our NCAA hopes.

In terms of the A10 tournament the 3 seed is more or less the same as the 2 seed to me. If the tournament started today - 2 seed would play winner of Bonnies/GW and 3 seed would get VCU/UMass.

But yes - 1st or 2nd seed PLEASE.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think if we do go 15-3 then we are a lock even with a loss in Quarters

Our resume will be good enough
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Beat GW that is the goal right now .
3 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1941054

Dayton has got to get past Rhody first!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago https://www.thescore.com/ncaab/news/1941054

Dayton has got to get past Rhody first!
Excellent article.
Nice to see Dayton reaching such a lofty ranking. Shows that a Team from the Atlantic 10 can aspire to be the National Champion.

Dayton will be a challenge for us defensively as they play very unselfish basketball

''We love sharing the ball,'' said forward Obi Toppin, whose alley-oop dunks are the punctuation mark to Dayton's pass-it-around style. ''We know giving up a good shot to get a better shot is always the right way to go.''
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Anthony Grant has done a great job there will a top P5 come calling or does he stay at his Alma mater ???
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

With 1/3 of A10 left before Tournament, the contenders for byes:

Dayton (11-0)
UMASS A
VCU A
Duquesne H
George Mason A
Davidson H
URI A
George Washington H

URI (10-2)
St Josephs H
Davidson A
Fordham A
St Louis H
Dayton H
UMASS A

St Bonaventure (9-3)
Davidson H
Richmond H
Duquesne H
LaSalle A
St Josephs H
St Louis A

Richmond (7-3)
LaSalle A
VCU H
George Mason H
St Bonaventure A
George Washington A
UMASS H
Davidson H
Duquesne A

VCU (7-3)
George Mason H
Richmond A
Dayton H
St Louis A
UMASS A
George Washington H
Duquesne H
Davidson A

Duquesne (7-4)
Fordham A
George Washington H
Dayton A
St Bonaventure A
George Mason H
VCU A
Richmond H

Davidson and St Louis are both (6-5) and not out of the Bye picture yet

St Bonaventure could surprise since there are (0-3) playing without Osun Osunniyi with losses @Dayton, @VCU and URI-H. Bonnie’s are (9-0) with Osunniyi. Overall Bonnie’s are (17-8) but (1-6) without Osunniyi and (16-2) with Osunniyi. Osun is healthy now playing 35 minutes per game again.

A5D4B7F2-4B5F-4E8D-B7AD-DB73494EC0A9.png
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

We really need to hold serve, the Bonnies have a path to running the table and getting squarely on the bubble.

I think we need to be 15-3 to be comfortably dancing. Either run the next 5 and not need the Dayton game as a "must win", or if we stumble in one of the next 5 then Dayton becomes a must. Our Q1 alone won't have the opportunities or wins that the Power 5 bubble teams get, so just pile up the wins and run up our Q1 + Q2 record. Otherwise we'll be sweating out that the Rams need to get to the conference final, hope for X team to lose, etc. I don't want to do math during the A10 tourney.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago We really need to hold serve, the Bonnies have a path to running the table and getting squarely on the bubble.

I think we need to be 15-3 to be comfortably dancing. Either run the next 5 and not need the Dayton game as a "must win", or if we stumble in one of the next 5 then Dayton becomes a must. Our Q1 alone won't have the opportunities or wins that the Power 5 bubble teams get, so just pile up the wins and run up our Q1 + Q2 record. Otherwise we'll be sweating out that the Rams need to get to the conference final, hope for X team to lose, etc. I don't want to do math during the A10 tourney.
Bonnies could run 8 tables and they won’t be anywhere near the bubble. Lost all 3 to us, VCU and Dayton and don’t have anymore games left that will significantly move the needle for them. Their only tourney chance is win it all in Brooklyn. Us, VCU and Richmond are the only teams with at large chances - in that order.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The Bonnies are tough every damn year. Want nothing to do with them in the tournament.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Also, just for reference sake.

1 seed plays at 12:00, 2 seed plays at 6:00, 3 seed plays at 8:30, 4 seed plays at 2:30.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago We really need to hold serve, the Bonnies have a path to running the table and getting squarely on the bubble.

Bonnies could run 8 tables and they won’t be anywhere near the bubble. Lost all 3 to us, VCU and Dayton and don’t have anymore games left that will significantly move the needle for them. Their only tourney chance is win it all in Brooklyn. Us, VCU and Richmond are the only teams with at large chances - in that order.
Whoa, I stand corrected. Don't know why but thought I saw SBU had a NET in the 60s but now I see the NET and Ken Pom are both above 100. You're right, not gonna happen...
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

For fun, here's KenPom's projected seeding as of right now:

1. Dayton
2. Rhode Island
3. St. Bonaventure
4. VCU
5. Richmond
6. Duquesne
7. Saint Louis
8. Davidson
9. George Washington
10. UMass
11. La Salle
12. George Mason
13. Fordham
14. Saint Joseph's
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago

Whoa, I stand corrected. Don't know why but thought I saw SBU had a NET in the 60s but now I see the NET and Ken Pom are both above 100. You're right, not gonna happen...
They aren’t going to get near the bubble but they could very easily make up a lot of ground with a strong finish in terms of metrics. They play four winnable games against top-100 NET teams in their last 6. It’s hard to tell exactly how far ahead or behind teams are in NET since the raw score isn’t public, but Bonnies is now #100 in Kenpom and about 3 AdjEM away from the magic 75th spot. They probably won’t get there in KenPom or NET (where they’re 107 now), but it seems pretty plausible that they move into the NET top-100. That doesn’t do much for us just looking at the quadrant system, but if I were writing our resume for the committee I think I’d have as the first line 10(+) top-100 wins and only 1 loss outside of the top-100. Bonnies getting into the top-100 helps that.

Also look out for them as a potential bid-stealer. They are playing the part of Davidson this year perfectly: OOC such that they could never play onto the bubble during conference play but an absolute threat to win the autobid.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Also, just for reference sake.

1 seed plays at 12:00, 2 seed plays at 6:00, 3 seed plays at 8:30, 4 seed plays at 2:30.
Are these the times for the Friday games? Have the seeds always played in these time slots? My plan is to be heading down to Brooklyn Fri am.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

St Bonaventure, much like last year, is very much benefiting from playing a weak league schedule. It is a consequence of unbalanced scheduling. They have just eight games versus the A-10 top seven NET teams playing only Duquesne twice. They play ten games versus the other six teams in the bottom half of the league. Their H&H partners are Duquesne, GW, GMU, Fordham, and St. Joe's.

The Bonnies may well get a good seed from this and secure a bye much like last season. This schedule along with their also weak OOC schedule will however not much help their NET ranking or odds of getting to the NCAA or even NIT.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Also, just for reference sake.

Are these the times for the Friday games? Have the seeds always played in these time slots? My plan is to be heading down to Brooklyn Fri am.

Yes those are for the Friday games.

Saturday Semifinals are 1:00 and 3:30.

The 1 seed semifinals would be played at 1:00, and the 2/3 seed semifinals would be 3:30.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

We hold serve we are in all likelihood guaranteed another Q2 opportunity in the quarterfinals.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago St Bonaventure, much like last year, is very much benefiting from playing a weak league schedule. It is a consequence of unbalanced scheduling. They have just eight games versus the A-10 top seven NET teams playing only Duquesne twice. They play ten games versus the other six teams in the bottom half of the league. Their H&H partners are Duquesne, GW, GMU, Fordham, and St. Joe's.

The Bonnies may well get a good seed from this and secure a bye much like last season. This schedule along with their also weak OOC schedule will however not much help their NET ranking or odds of getting to the NCAA or even NIT.
I think they will fade some in the next stretch - only 1 win vs Duquesne so far, all wins have otherwise came against the bottom teams. Their games against the middle teams in conference are coming up.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I could see them winning out. Good to have the tie-breaker.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody needs Richmond to lose a game because Richmond has the tiebreaker. Maybe VCU can beat them Saturday.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”