2/4 | UMass | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

2/4 | UMass | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs University of Massachusetts
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Tuesday, February 4, 2020
7:00PM

Media
TV: CBSSN
Online: CBSSN
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio

Previews:
UMass’ Fan Forum

Rhody, winners of 8 straight conference games, take on rival UMass at the Ryan Center Tuesday night. On paper this is a game that the Rams should easily win…but when they play the Minutemen it seems like anything can happen. UMass has a few local connections with players Preston Santos (Providence) & TJ Weeks (Warwick) who both played at Bishop Hendricken at some point in their college career. And of course, Rhody great & my favorite Ram ever, Tyson Wheeler is an assistant coach on the UMass staff. Unfortunately, TJ Weeks has been injured for much of the season & probably won’t be playing on Tuesday. This game will feature another good match-up down low with Cyril & Tre Mitchell. Look for Rhody to pressure the young ball handlers forcing run outs on turnovers. Rhody wins this going away, 77-63. Let's keep this going! Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
9-13, 3-6 in the A10
Last season: 11-21, 4-14 in the A10

Rankings:
RPI: 187
KenPom: 203
NCAA NET: 179
BPI: 206

Leaders :
Points – Tre Mitchell 15.5 (Fr., C)
Rebounds – Samba Diallo, 6.4 (Soph., F)
Assists – Sean East II, 4.8 (Fr., G) (2.7 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 65-89
H: 40-31, A: 25-53, N: 0-5
Most Recent Matchup: 3/9/19 94-75 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 91.2% Chance of URI Winning
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Re: 2/4 | UMass | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Must Win .
2 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Their Pipkins thread is funny.

Has a player ever been so strongly disliked from the team he left AND the team he went to?

And as we all know, MUST WIN GAME!
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

MUST. WIN.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Other than the 2 games vs Dayton and maybe at Davidson, they are all must wins. (We can’t Lise all 3 of those Dayton/Davidson games though). But I do like the fact that Dayton being undefeated has kept us off the radar. We can be the hunter and not the hunted.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ONE

GAME

AT

A

TIME!

MUST WIN!
5 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

2 wins this week, and we can go to Dayton playing with house money for that game.

But MUST WIN both.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......jump on them early and often, don’t let them hang around.......get the ball to Jermaine early and often, show them some low post play......think more bench points than last game......Go a Rhody......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cyril handle Mitchell, and smother their 3 pt. shooters, and turn them over.

Win.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Dayton board said the URI tickets are going for up to $300 already. That is a real good fan base. One person on the board said they can see why after watching URI play VCU
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Leave no doubt
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It doesn't hurt my feelings at all that we have an extra day to rest up for this one than they do. We could use the extra time after the physical game Friday. Fatts was definitely banged up. It's a really tough spot for them, having to play Saturday night in North Carolina and turn around quick to come here.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

As long as we dont fall off a cliff we should be fine in this one.

But please, destroy UMass.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Considering 2 tough games vs Dayton coming up.. No doubt about it ... MUST WIN
2 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I don’t think we match up that well against UMass. It’ll be an interesting game down low, Cyril and Jermaine need to be able to dominate Mitchell. UMass is a decent three-point shooting team too. So our defensive intensity is also going to be important.
I have a feeling this is going to be a grind it out win.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Last game, VCU put the sleeper hold on both Rhody and the home crowd after the break.

We might see a return to the "20 mins of hell" strategy for the second half that we saw in previous conference games.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago I don’t think we match up that well against UMass. It’ll be an interesting game down low, Cyril and Jermaine need to be able to dominate Mitchell. UMass is a decent three-point shooting team too. So our defensive intensity is also going to be important.
An experienced battle tested team against a team of Freshmen who just got boat raced by 35 against a mediocre Davidson team - not sure why you think we don’t match up well against them. This should be a 15-20 pt dub
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Sucks for Weeks to not be able to play in his homecoming, good for us though!
Last edited by Rhody15 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Wow UMass lost by 30 at Davidson ; does that leave them demoralized or embarrassed and angry?

Really have only two concerns about this game. Tre Mitchell is still a 6 9 stud. He can draw fouls- is Harris or CL on him, do either or both get into foul trouble?

And it seems to me that Carl Pierre NEVER misses a three against us.

Certainly agree with pressure, pressure, pressure.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago It doesn't hurt my feelings at all that we have an extra day to rest up for this one than they do. We could use the extra time after the physical game Friday. Fatts was definitely banged up. It's a really tough spot for them, having to play Saturday night in North Carolina and turn around quick to come here.
About damn time, too. It seems like every team Rhody has played recently has had more time to prepare than the Rams.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UMass, as with most young teams, has been extremely inconsistent this season. Very uneven season with a long win streak (vs lesser comp) to open the season and a couple of long losing streaks later on. When they lose, it is often by a big margin as 10 of their 13 losses have been by double digits.
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Give the Legend Tyson Wheeler the ovation he deserves.
6 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago I don’t think we match up that well against UMass. It’ll be an interesting game down low, Cyril and Jermaine need to be able to dominate Mitchell. UMass is a decent three-point shooting team too. So our defensive intensity is also going to be important.
An experienced battle tested team against a team of Freshmen who just got boat raced by 35 against a mediocre Davidson team - not sure why you think we don’t match up well against them. This should be a 15-20 pt dub
I agree. It could end up closer than we want, but what makes you think from watching UMASS they are going to be a tough opponent coming into the Ryan Center?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Mongo wrote: 4 years ago Give the Legend Tyson Wheeler the ovation he deserves.
Hopefully that moron from last game who was clueless during trivia is in attendance when Tyson gets an ovation.
1 x
Go Rhody
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Dayton board said the URI tickets are going for up to $300 already. That is a real good fan base. One person on the board said they can see why after watching URI play VCU
I won't be surprised if they travel well to the Ryan Center. There were far too many seats available for the game last time I checked a couple of weeks ago.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
Hopefully that moron from last game who was clueless during trivia is in attendance when Tyson gets an ovation.
Yo man, not everyone grew up steeped in this stuff. One of the most important things that can happen for our program is bringing in new fans. We have plenty of time to get them up to speed.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

LOL, wasn't that kid like 10 years old or something?

Rhody15:

0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

My guy! He was my favorite player when he was here.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I had forgotten he was on the UMass staff. One of my all time favorite Ram players. He and his teammates were instrumental in getting the Ryan Center approved and built. The 1998 elite-8 created the necessary momentum to move the project forward.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I was sitting there saying “really?” on Friday night but at the same time this kid was probably born in 1999/2000? He should know who these players are but at the same time he wasn’t even born yet.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Worst part was that one of the players that the kid didn’t know was in the crowd lol -Delroy
1 x
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
I had forgotten he was on the UMass staff. One of my all time favorite Ram players. He and his teammates were instrumental in getting the Ryan Center approved and built. The 1998 elite-8 created the necessary momentum to move the project forward.
Ugh! I’ll never forget watching that game and my grandma and grandpa’s house.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

There are some players from before I was born that I don't know anything about. Am I a moron? If I can't name the entire 1945 NIT team can I still be a fan? (I mean there are hundreds of reasons why I am already a moron, but does this qualify as another one?)
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago There are some players from before I was born that I don't know anything about. Am I a moron? If I can't name the entire 1945 NIT team can I still be a fan? (I mean there are hundreds of reasons why I am already a moron, but does this qualify as another one?)
I mean, let’s not attack me for my comment when literally 7800 people booed the kid / felt the same way as me when he said what he said.
0 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago There are some players from before I was born that I don't know anything about. Am I a moron? If I can't name the entire 1945 NIT team can I still be a fan? (I mean there are hundreds of reasons why I am already a moron, but does this qualify as another one?)
I mean, let’s not attack me for my comment when literally 7800 people booed the kid / felt the same way as me when he said what he said.
I get it. I was just messing around and trying to defend the kid a little. I don't think it's so crazy that some kid who just arrived at URI in the last 0-3 years might not know about players from before he was born. Sorry you felt "attacked" though. People take this shit too seriously sometimes.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
I get it. I was just messing around and trying to defend the kid a little. I don't think it's so crazy that some kid who just arrived at URI in the last 0-3 years might not know about players from before he was born. Sorry you felt "attacked" though. People take this shit too seriously sometimes.

You weren’t the only one don’t worry
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I was looking around other teams schedules and we might be the only team who doesnt get two full weeks off.

What gives?

I mean maybe that's a good thing momentum wise, but still.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Dayton board said the URI tickets are going for up to $300 already. That is a real good fan base. One person on the board said they can see why after watching URI play VCU
I won't be surprised if they travel well to the Ryan Center. There were far too many seats available for the game last time I checked a couple of weeks ago.
You don’t really mean that. Tell me this was with sarcasm. UMass struggles to get 2,000 fans in the seats at home and you think they might travel well :D
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago I was looking around other teams schedules and we might be the only team who doesnt get two full weeks off.

What gives?

Had 2 weeks off between PC and Western KY. Nobody has 2 weeks off during conference play.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
You don’t really mean that. Tell me this was with sarcasm. UMass struggles to get 2,000 fans in the seats at home and you think they might travel well :D
I think u are confusing it with the ‘Umass game thread’ and what they are talking about. They are referring to both away/home games vs Dayton. I could be wrong but that how I read it
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The lack of knowledge wasn't the misstep...he shoulda kept his pie hole shut about it. I felt sorry for him not getting that...
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is a game we need to win by double figs
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago I was looking around other teams schedules and we might be the only team who doesnt get two full weeks off.

What gives?

Had 2 weeks off between PC and Western KY. Nobody has 2 weeks off during conference play.
I know we had two weeks off in the nonconference.

Dayton and VCU have two weeks off.

VCU had a week off before they played us the first time.

They dont have a game until this coming friday against Davidson.

Dayton had a week off after their win against st Joe's earlier in the year and played Umass the following weekend.

They also dont play SLU until saturday.

Well actually, those are six day breaks.

We have one of those two. Never mind I guess.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
I agree. It could end up closer than we want, but what makes you think from watching UMASS they are going to be a tough opponent coming into the Ryan Center?
Davidson was red hot against Shooting an astounding 31-43 FG for 72%. They hit 11-17 3P’s
Sure they killed UMASS on their own home court but that is some torrid shooting numbers by Davidson. I hope they cool off when we play at Davidson Saturday February 22 at 5:30pm

Will be interesting to see what Cox does defending against Tre Mitchell. Mitchell has taken more 3 Point shots than Jeff Dowtin taking 74 attempts hitting 28%. More likely Harris on Tre Mitchell? Or Toppin? Or Walker? Switch several different players on Mitchell?

Unfortunately we will not see TJ Weeks, but Hendricken’s Preston Santos, also a Freshman like Weeks, earned a starting spot recently so we will get to see him play some extended minutes Tuesday night.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
He still "owns" a NBA all time record that will never be broken.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Biggest game of the year
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
I wasn't clear, meant Dayton.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Looking forward to this week, first headed to my charity event with a nice spread in one of the end zones tomorrow night. And just purchased seats near the Rhody bench for Saturday at the Smith Center, seeing as my wife has a weekend conference in DC!
0 x
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago Looking forward to this week, first headed to my charity event with a nice spread in one of the end zones tomorrow night. And just purchased seats near the Rhody bench for Saturday at the Smith Center, seeing as my wife has a weekend conference in DC!
Heading to DC on sat. Would love to meet some KB'ers. Anyone know of a meeting spot?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

This says tomorrow night's game is at 9:00. I assume that's a mistake?
https://www.gorhody.com/tickets/men-s_b ... kets_12-14
0 x