1/31 | VCU | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1/31 | VCU | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Virginia Commonwealth University
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Friday, January 31, 2020
7:00PM

Media
TV: ESPN2
Online: ESPN2
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio

Previews:
VCU’s Fan Forum

Rhody comes back to the Ryan Center to take on VCU after picking up their 7-conference victory in a row at George Mason. Rhody is winners of 7 out of the last 8 against their rival Rams. VCU & their fans are desperate for revenge & really need a quality road win. Look for them to come out of the gate fast. VCU runs 9 or 10 deep compared to Rhody’s 8, so fatigue could be an issue. No one on VCU is averaging more than 27 minutes a game while URI has 4 players playing over 30 minutes a game including Fatts & Dowtin playing over 35 min a game. Once again, the Langevine vs Santos-Silva is a great match-up. Cyril was held to just 2 points on 1-8 shooting while Santos-Silva went for 11 & 14. El Jefe has gotten his shot back, shooting 51.4% from the field over his last 3 games. If they keep playing like they have been in conference play Rhody should get the win in front of a sellout crowd Friday night. I predict a 68-63 victory. See you at Shaidzon for pregaming at 3:00 & the Mews for post game celebrating. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
16-5, 6-2 in the A10
Last season: 25-8, 16-2 in the A10

Rankings:
RPI: 43
KenPom: 43
NCAA NET: 33

Leaders :
Points – Marcus Santos-Silva 13.2 (Jr., F)
Rebounds – Marcus Santos-Silva, 9.2 (Jr., F)
Assists – Marcus Evans, 2.9 (Sr., G) (2.9 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 9-7
H: 4-1, A: 2-6, N: 3-0
Most Recent Matchup: 1/11/20 65-56 W at VCU
Most Recent Win Streak: 2 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 65.1% Chance of URI Winning
3 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/31 | VCU | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

With Harris limited it is absolutely necessary that Cyril stay out of foul trouble, or SS will eat us alive inside.

THE key to the game imo.

This one will be close to a toss up odds wise. Their 33 NET is 12 better than ours, which negates the 3 or 4 point home advantage.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......this morning Team Rankings says; our chance to Dance up from yesterday to 78%.....they give the Kingston Rams a #60 ranking and a 53% chance to beat their #41 ranked VCU Rams.....Go Rhody
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

9am Wednesday:

VCU Rankings:
RPI: 43
KenPom: 43
NCAA NET: 33
BPI: 37

URI Rankings:
RPI: 18
KenPom: 52
NCAA NET: 45
BPI: 57
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we get this one, we should be off the bubble and into the field of 64, at least temporarily.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago With Harris limited it is absolutely necessary that Cyril stay out of foul trouble, or SS will eat us alive inside.

THE key to the game imo.

This one will be close to a toss up odds wise. Their 33 NET is 12 better than ours, which negates the 3 or 4 point home advantage.
TBH I watched the replay of the game with Richmond. Im ok with santos silva killing us as long as we make it tough to shoot from 3. They won that game hitting 10-21 from 3 which is ridiculous.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

this is a one game playoff game in my eyes for the NCAA

would love to have this "W" in my back pocket and thus making it 2 vs VCU come selection sunday
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

VCU's 3 point shooting mirrored theirs against LSU in the first half of that game.

They struggle to score otherwise. Night and day difference.

I'm sure our defense will make it tough on them from outside.

ECR, it seems like it now, but it's still early for that.

Could come down to the conference tourney.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

MUST. WIN.
10 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Does Jermaine have a hip pointer? If so, I got this from a med site......A hip pointer requires adequate recovery time to allow the injured structures to heal. If walking is difficult crutches may be supplied to allow for mobilisation. Return to play will be determined by pain levels, hip mobility and based on your previous level of function. It may take 1-3 weeks to heal.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If we lose, does anybody know the tiebreaker if us and VCU ended up with the same conference record?
0 x
Go Rhody
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Oh man i missed it,
Blue Man,
I just came over to write

but missed it by 5 minutes
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago If we lose, does anybody know the tiebreaker if us and VCU ended up with the same conference record?
Two-Team Tie
1. Head-to-head competition.

2. Conference record of the tied teams based on winning percentage versus the highest
common opponent and proceeding down to the lowest common opponent, if necessary, until
one team gains an advantage.

a. All ties are broken in descending order.
b. When arriving at another pair of tied teams, use each team’s record against the tied teams
as a group. When comparing records against a group of teams, the higher winning
percentage will prevail. In case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of 1.000 or
.000, the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.

3. Coin toss.

———————————

So based on that, they’d have the advantage by beating Richmond. Assuming we have the same record vs Dayton
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The biggest difference in VCUs performance over the last 2-3 weeks is Bones Hyland. He is shooting a remarkable 50%+ from behind the arc and has been a major difference maker. Whether due to his injury or the step up in play from CUSA to A10 Marcus Evans has never impressed me much. His on ball defense is very good but offensively he does nothing for me. I will welcome any minute of the game when he is in and Bones is on the bench.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

NEED. TO. SHUT. DOWN. HYLAND.

...that and break their press.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years agoMUST. WIN.

HEAR HEAR

no sugar coating it

this is a must win

like i said.. need this win in our back pocket for the committee to point to

we need SIGNATURE wins

not too many more opportunities and to have this game at home in front of a sellout crowd

no excuses

SEIZE THE DAY
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

MUST WIN
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago With Harris limited it is absolutely necessary that Cyril stay out of foul trouble, or SS will eat us alive inside.

THE key to the game imo.

Cyril is 16 points away from a 1,000. Would be a great scene for him to get a 1,000 along with beating VCU at home.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Does Jermaine have a hip pointer? If so, I got this from a med site......A hip pointer requires adequate recovery time to allow the injured structures to heal. If walking is difficult crutches may be supplied to allow for mobilisation. Return to play will be determined by pain levels, hip mobility and based on your previous level of function. It may take 1-3 weeks to heal.
Bill Koch had this about Jermaine in his Projo URI notes today:

Being cautious

URI forward Jermaine Harris was a game-time decision and played seven minutes Tuesday.

Harris is battling a strained right hip flexor and spent the entire second half on the bench. He managed just two minutes in Saturday’s 81-75 victory over St. Bonaventure.

“He could have gone for us in the second half, but we just limited him because we didn’t need him,” URI coach David Cox said. “Big game on Friday (against VCU), so I’m hoping he’s full go by then.”
4 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Not much to say this morning. Got the W last night. That's really all that matters.

I won't even call this one a "must win". I save that term for potential landmine games. This is not a landmine game. This is a preview to a 8/9 game in the NCAA Tournament. Just go out there and take care of business. That is all.
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

This begins with defending the perimeter, keeping CL out of foul trouble, and putting Dowtin in/on/around Bones all game. Let an experienced Senior on his home court show the freshmen what suffocating man to man defense looks like.

PS: for all the great VCU teams they've never really had a star player that was super recognizable and a game-changer. Maybe Tillman? Bones is the future of VCU and should keep them atop the league the next four years.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Marcus Evans is like a shadow of himself out there.

The key is 100% making it hard for them to shoot threes.

Making them settle for threes and making them tough threes.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Was fully planning on going to the game, unfortunately life can get in the way and now we are headed north for funeral services for the weekend. So glad the game is on national TV so I should be able to watch, even from my phone if required (thank you YouTube TV).

Win one for Aunt Joan (URI class of '66)!
8 x
Mobley was fouled.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago The biggest difference in VCUs performance over the last 2-3 weeks is Bones Hyland. He is shooting a remarkable 50%+ from behind the arc and has been a major difference maker. Whether due to his injury or the step up in play from CUSA to A10 Marcus Evans has never impressed me much. His on ball defense is very good but offensively he does nothing for me. I will welcome any minute of the game when he is in and Bones is on the bench.
Who do you think draws him on defense? I honestly don't remember who covered him in the first game. With his height I kind of like the idea of putting Dowtin on him. But Fatts smothering him all game long could work to.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago The biggest difference in VCUs performance over the last 2-3 weeks is Bones Hyland. He is shooting a remarkable 50%+ from behind the arc and has been a major difference maker. Whether due to his injury or the step up in play from CUSA to A10 Marcus Evans has never impressed me much. His on ball defense is very good but offensively he does nothing for me. I will welcome any minute of the game when he is in and Bones is on the bench.
Who do you think draws him on defense? I honestly don't remember who covered him in the first game. With his height I kind of like the idea of putting Dowtin on him. But Fatts smothering him all game long could work to.
His best attribute is his shooting and with his length he can shoot over Fatts. I like Dowtin.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
His best attribute is his shooting and with his length he can shoot over Fatts. I like Dowtin.
Exactly what I was thinking.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Huge game for a number of reasons, but mostly this: Right now most advanced projections have URI and VCU finishing the season tied for second place. A win Friday and that likely changes (and even if it doesn't, Rhody will have the tiebreaker in hand).
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Hyland was on fire last night....

https://commonwealthtimes.org/2020/01/2 ... -richmond/
Bones is their Fatts - 2 years ago. He's a stud.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I think Richmond struggled because they dont have a guard to complement gilyard anymore. It would be like if we had fatts and no dowtin. The two of them make it easier to guard both evans and bones
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Does Jermaine have a hip pointer? If so, I got this from a med site......A hip pointer requires adequate recovery time to allow the injured structures to heal. If walking is difficult crutches may be supplied to allow for mobilisation. Return to play will be determined by pain levels, hip mobility and based on your previous level of function. It may take 1-3 weeks to heal.
Bill Koch had this about Jermaine in his Projo URI notes today:

Being cautious

URI forward Jermaine Harris was a game-time decision and played seven minutes Tuesday.

Harris is battling a strained right hip flexor and spent the entire second half on the bench. He managed just two minutes in Saturday’s 81-75 victory over St. Bonaventure.

“He could have gone for us in the second half, but we just limited him because we didn’t need him,” URI coach David Cox said. “Big game on Friday (against VCU), so I’m hoping he’s full go by then.”
From same site...Depending on the severity of the injury, it may take 1-6 weeks for a hip flexor injury to heal. Minor injuries typically require 1-3 weeks of recovery time, while more severe muscle tears can take 4-6 weeks or longer.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

This game isnt of the must win variety, but it is monumentally important. First it helps solidify 2nd place in A10, at worst, being up 2 plus the tie breaker over VCU. And second will put us on the right side of the "bubble" for the dance.

Honorable mention it will put us damn close to the top 25 if not in the top 25.
1 x
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago This game isnt of the must win variety, but it is monumentally important. First it helps solidify 2nd place in A10, at worst, being up 2 plus the tie breaker over VCU. And second will put us on the right side of the "bubble" for the dance.

Honorable mention it will put us damn close to the top 25 if not in the top 25.
If Duquesne beats Dayton tonight (I know, I know) it will solidify 1st place since we would then (for the time being at least), hold the tie breaker over Dayton.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Thats why i said "at worst" long way to go on the Dayton front gotta play them twice still. Would love to see that march 4th game, at home, be for first place.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago This begins with defending the perimeter, keeping CL out of foul trouble, and putting Dowtin in/on/around Bones all game. Let an experienced Senior on his home court show the freshmen what suffocating man to man defense looks like.

PS: for all the great VCU teams they've never really had a star player that was super recognizable and a game-changer. Maybe Tillman? Bones is the future of VCU and should keep them atop the league the next four years.
Mo Allie-Cox is probably the closest.

PS: SPooky - I went to the Shaidzon prior to the Davidson game - good stuff!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Eric Maynor. Traveon Graham. Larry Sanders.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Eric Maynor. Traveon Graham. Larry Sanders.
I guess I'm more speaking in the A10. Sanders and Maynor were CAA days. Maynor was an absolute stud. Joey Rodriguez was a fixture back then as well.

Treveon Graham is a good call. 2x First Team all A10 and A10 Tourney MVP. Their teams as of late have been balanced athleticism and no real go-to star. Evans was supposed to be that guy, but it looks like Bones is cementing himself as the future a little earlier than expected (although Evans 2000+ points is damn impressive)
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

briante weber?
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Sweeping VCU would be good to head into February with.

This would make uri 8-1 in the last 9 games against these guys.

I’m sure uri’s home court advantage isn’t going to be neutralized by a higher net rating. That’s foolish.

Go Rhody.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Eric Maynor. Traveon Graham. Larry Sanders.
I guess I'm more speaking in the A10. Sanders and Maynor were CAA days. Maynor was an absolute stud. Joey Rodriguez was a fixture back then as well.

Treveon Graham is a good call. 2x First Team all A10 and A10 Tourney MVP. Their teams as of late have been balanced athleticism and no real go-to star. Evans was supposed to be that guy, but it looks like Bones is cementing himself as the future a little earlier than expected (although Evans 2000+ points is damn impressive)
I think mo Allie Cox distinguished himself. Graham was most dominant. Weber also achieved a college basketball fame.

I’ve thought Graham was a good in conference comp to what Tyreese Martin’s ceiling would look like.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

2 x
Common sense is not common.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

An advantage being at home for Harris. Training staff has equipment etc to get him ready during the game. With his injury they can get him ready to start the game and start the 2nd half. They will also be able to treat him during the game and get him warmed up on the stationary bike in the entryway. I think he will play more Friday. He covered Santos-Silver at VCU. It keeps Cyril out of foul trouble. Harris did a good job on him.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Less than 48 hours!!!!
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Why do VCU fans hate Cox so much? Reading their board you would think he backed over their bikes in driveway....
5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Why do VCU fans hate Cox so much? Reading their board you would think he backed over their bikes in driveway....
Probably because of a false belief they purposely hurt Evans in the A10 tourney and that Cox called them pussies.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Love it DC! I was reading their board too, ha ha.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The Virginia Commonwealth butthurt rams.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 4 years ago
Roth stein likes to hype up URI like this guy !!
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Why do VCU fans hate Cox so much? Reading their board you would think he backed over their bikes in driveway....
We beat them at an inordinate level, they just hate that of course, so easy for them to make shit up or believe negative false rumors
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

When Rhody wins I’m sure one of their fans will have a story about how they definitely heard Cox yelling “I kill puppies for fun” in the huddle or something.
5 x