Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Unread post by Blue Man »

I think both Fatts' play of late and his 1k accomplishment are worthy of it's own thread:

Dan Hurley recruited him and said he would average 20 points a game in the A10. We're fast approaching that point.

If he does, we could finally be looking at the one to dethrone Silk come next March (or April :D )

Also, he's having a pretty decent year swiping the ball. Leading the country probably means you're doing something right.
15 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Re: Fatts

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

"Fatts Russell will lead the A10 in scoring" was one of Hurley's predictions as well.

He is currently leading that race with 19.6 PPG
Obi and Ryan Daly are right behind him at 19.5 PPG
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s a great point anyone know how many Fatts would have to avg approximately to pass Silk ???
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago That’s a great point anyone know how many Fatts would have to avg approximately to pass Silk ???
Depending on how many postseason games we have this year and next, Fatts has approximately 50 games left at URI. So, I'll use that number. To pass Silk, Fatts would have to average 22.22 points per game, certainly doable. Also, Tyson has been in 2nd place on URI's career list for 22 years. If Fatts plays 50 games, he would have to average 18.3 points per game to pass Tyson for 2nd. That seems pretty likely at this point, as long as he stay healthy.
2 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
reef wrote: 4 years ago That’s a great point anyone know how many Fatts would have to avg approximately to pass Silk ???
Depending on how many postseason games we have this year and next, Fatts has approximately 50 games left at URI. So, I'll use that number. To pass Silk, Fatts would have to average 22.22 points per game, certainly doable. Also, Tyson has been in 2nd place on URI's career list for 22 years. If Fatts plays 50 games, he would have to average 18.3 points per game to pass Tyson for 2nd. That seems pretty likely at this point, as long as he stay healthy.
Crazy to think of the company he will be in. We're witnessing what may be one of the best to pass through this program.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Right now Fatts is #1 the country in steals per game, Cyril is 10th in the country in rebounds per game and Jeff is 18th in the country in Assist/TO ratio.
6 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

And yet I still stress every single game. I wish they could all fire on all cylinders on every night. That's the frustrating piece, the parts are great players in their own right but have only been able to combine for great games a small handful of times.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago And yet I still stress every single game. I wish they could all fire on all cylinders on every night. That's the frustrating piece, the parts are great players in their own right but have only been able to combine for great games a small handful of times.
That's what gives me hope for a run. They're winning and not clicking. When the pieces gel (hopefully no more suspensions, departures, injuries, changes) this team could shock a lot of people.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Teeker
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Teeker »

Wish RhodyMBB would've hyped Fatts knocking on 1000 points door, as I think more folks would've wanted to be in Philly to witness. I wasnt aware he was that close and would've found a way to go. We saw the posters for Philly, but no mention of potential 1000. Maybe they were secretly hoping it wild occur in Kingston LOL
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I was at the game in 88 when Silk was 23 points away from 2000 and brought the sign Silk + 23 = 2000 will never forget that
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Here's another thing to watch. Cyril has 951 points and 842 rebounds. He has a good chance to join the 1000/1000 club. He'll need to average 9.5- 10 rebounds a game the rest of the way to do it, depending on how many post-season games we play. There are currently only 2 members of the 1000/1000 club, Art Stephenson and Antonio Reynolds-Dean.
3 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

It might be nice for the PA announcer on Saturday to honor Fatts by mentioning his 1000 point accomplishment. He deserves it!
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Teeker wrote: 4 years ago Wish RhodyMBB would've hyped Fatts knocking on 1000 points door, as I think more folks would've wanted to be in Philly to witness. I wasnt aware he was that close and would've found a way to go. We saw the posters for Philly, but no mention of potential 1000. Maybe they were secretly hoping it wild occur in Kingston LOL

The last thing I wanted was him to be stuck on 999 then play Saturday. We all know what happened last time a player was on 999 and played at home...
0 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

neil wrote: 4 years ago It might be nice for the PA announcer on Saturday to honor Fatts by mentioning his 1000 point accomplishment. He deserves it!
For those that weren't there, EZBuckets aka JV acknowledged Fatts reaching 1K just before tip-off. They had a graphic up on the board and Fatts even acknowledged the crowd (standing o). It was very well done.
6 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
neil wrote: 4 years ago It might be nice for the PA announcer on Saturday to honor Fatts by mentioning his 1000 point accomplishment. He deserves it!
For those that weren't there, EZBuckets aka JV acknowledged Fatts reaching 1K just before tip-off. They had a graphic up on the board and Fatts even acknowledged the crowd (standing o). It was very well done.

Next up Cyril!
1 x
Go Rhody
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
Would love to see a video of this. Fatts deserves every standing O he gets.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

When JV did the Rhody, Rhody, Rhody chant we responded with "Fatts, Fatts, Fatts""
5 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

An interesting note is Jeff reached 1,000 points during the A10 Tournament last year and he has not been recognized.
Maybe something more official for all three together if Cyril hits 1,000.
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago When JV did the Rhody, Rhody, Rhody chant we responded with "Fatts, Fatts, Fatts""
I will start doing this
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I hope everyone appreciates what we're seeing right now. He's a rare player in Rhody basketball history. His speed and quickness are unlike any player I've seen in my 50 years of watching Rhody basketball. And he's got balls. He has a good chance of being our all time leading scorer before he's done. Silk has held that record for 32 years. Blueman mentioned his lightning quick hands. He only needs 30 more steals this season to break Tommy Garrick's season record, also set 32 years ago. He will easily break Keith Cochran's all time record for steals. I've seen most of the great URI guards...Silk, Tyson, Jiggy, Tommy...Fatts will be in that group when he's done. He's got around 45-50 games left as a Ram. Enjoy every second.
11 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

He's going to be the A10s version of Perry Ellis to opposing fans...by the end of next year it will feel like he's been around since 2010. Probably how the Big East feels about Miles Powell right now (he was a Sophomore on the team Rhody beat in 2017).

Fatts could be one of the top 10 returning players in college bball next year. Pretty exciting.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I hope everyone appreciates what we're seeing right now. He's a rare player in Rhody basketball history. His speed and quickness are unlike any player I've seen in my 50 years of watching Rhody basketball. And he's got balls. He has a good chance of being our all time leading scorer before he's done. Silk has held that record for 32 years. Blueman mentioned his lightning quick hands. He only needs 30 more steals this season to break Tommy Garrick's season record, also set 32 years ago. He will easily break Keith Cochran's all time record for steals. I've seen most of the great URI guards...Silk, Tyson, Jiggy, Tommy...Fatts will be in that group when he's done. He's got around 45-50 games left as a Ram. Enjoy every second.
My favorite player from the first second he stepped on the floor as a freshman. Though I don't think I made him my avatar until the PC game freshman year. I'm going to go into a long depression when he graduates.
4 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Was watching some highlights from last night, and I know that I definitely take it for granted how good he is when he is cutting to the basket. He makes it look easy.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

FattsDUNK

Last edited by PeteRI 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I never saw play Fatts in person until the Davidson game. TV doesn't do his speed justice. I was flabbergasted at his quickness and speed. It was amazing and I hope we all appreciate his remaining season and a half here.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Fatts was named to mid season Naismith National Defensive Player of the Year team (15 players)

Cooley looking uninformed again.

10 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Certainly seems like he's mad that a URI player was named and a PC player wasn't.
4 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Maybe we can finally put the sophomore slump behind us. Even in the midst of that slump he won one of the highest individual honors in URI bb history when he was named National Player of the Week! (as a frickin sophomore)

I agree with adam, favorite player from the first time I saw him in action for Rhody.

There is a reason DH said every time he went to scout one of his high school games he was the best player in the gym. The kid is special and we are very lucky fans.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Fatts can take us to the promise land.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I do respect Cooley's coaching, but sometimes that guy can be such a typical PC shill, trying to sell the idea Duke is even in the same universe as Russell on D is laughable, if he really does believe that, he's delusional and if not, he's just another shill.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Cooley says some dumb things, he's making it part of his brand at this point. But to be fair, great defense is more than just steals or blocks. Take Cyril for instance, he is an elite defender and not bc he accumulates lots of blocks or steals, he simply has amazing footwork, positioning and superior strength. I don't watch Duke enough to know if he draws the toughest matchup every night and if the stats back up the assertion...for example if he always draws the leading scorer for the other team and on the season has held that guy X% below his average then you can make a case. However the reality is that most of the All Defense accolades do come down to steals or blocks bc the deeper look into defensive performance is hard to quantify.
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Actually I've seen a good handful of PC games this year and I'm a little overstating things, Duke is very good on D and he does draw tough match ups, but there are lots of guys that do that, so maybe he's in the same universe or even on the same planet, but not the same zip code. That's a statement I'll stand behind :)
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

6 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago
Surging away!!!
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Special, special player.
Last edited by Billyboy78 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

He could almost end up with 2000 points. That would really be something
1 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

He will be up there as one of the BEST to ever wear Keaney Blue!!! He is amazing!!!!
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

WOW....just WOW!
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

But I thought I heard he's not good enough to start at URI...
I also heard he is a D2 caliber player...

I hope he has some of those posts from last year hanging in his locker, or better yet above his head so it's the last thing he sees going to sleep and the first he wakes up to.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I missed the live game because I was focusing on my other hero by canvassing in NH for the 78-year-young Skinny Sanders. Great day for the both of 'em.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

In the last 5 minutes of games Fatts has made 33 of 35 free throws for a 94% shooting percentage. Is that good?
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago In the last 5 minutes of games Fatts has made 33 of 35 free throws for a 94% shooting percentage. Is that good?
That’s clutch
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree Fatts is just outstanding and he can lead us a long way

I hope he breaks Silks record he has a chance
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Here is a comparison of his shooting %s from last year to this year.

Last year
FG 33.8%
3P 22.3%
FT 73.7%

This year
FG 41.5%
3P 36.9%
FT 85.7%
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Here is a comparison of his shooting %s from last year to this year.

Last year
FG 33.8%
3P 22.3%
FT 73.7%

This year
FG 41.5%
3P 36.9%
FT 85.7%
Not sure if it was Cox pushing the right buttons last year, or Fatts just working hard, or both. Man oh man is it special to get to watch this kid.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Thankfully he decided not to follow Dan to Uconn...

8 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......today, in Gansett, saw a parked car with bumper sticker that said, I love ❤️ my Jack Russell......I wanted to get my sharpie out and change it to; I ❤️ my Fatts Russell......
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Not bad for a D-2 player as some here have stated.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

One troll poster who is long gone.
Stop feeding the troll who was here
2 x