Two top paid college presidents of 2017 in USA were in RI

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Two top paid college presidents of 2017 in USA were in RI

Unread post by RF1 »

It is being reported by various outlets (Boston Globe and Providence Journal) that the two highest paid college presidents in the USA were at schools located in the state of RI. The Chronicle of Higher Education ranked the compensation packages of more than 600 private colleges and 250 public ones, using 2017 data. Ron Machtley, President of Bryant University, had a total 2017 compensation package of $6.2 million which made him the top paid person employed by higher education in the US. He was followed by John J. Bowen, former president of Johnson & Wales University, who earned the second-highest compensation package, at $5.3 million.

Chronicle of Higher Education: Bryant’s Machtley was nation’s highest-paid college president in 2017
https://www.providencejournal.com/news/ ... nt-in-2017

I in no way mean to criticize the performance of Ron Machtley as he seems to have done a good job at Bryant. The school has grown and increased its stature under his stewardship. I however find his salary to be outrageous and insulting to the students attending the school who are struggling to pay its high tuition costs.

As a point of comparison, URI President David Dooley's last three year contract (set to expire this year) had his annual salary at $380,000 in the first year, $391,400 in the second, and $403,400 in the third. A further report had him earning a total compensation package including all benefits of $426,333 in 2018. Dooley's current contract ends this July and renewal has been put off until the newly created BOT is assembled.

Bryant University
Undergraduate Enrollment 3,433
Tuition/Year $44,498

URI
Undergraduate Enrollment 14,027
Tuition/Year $12,590 (in state) / $29,710 (out of state) / $22,032 (regional)
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Two top paid college presidents of 2017 in USA were in RI

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I had heard Dooley might be looking at retiring at the end of the contract. I hope that's not the case because he has been phenomenal for the university
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

In more Bryant news, it has also been revealed and admitted by Bryant that the school paid Machtley's wife $85,581 in 2017 for organizing a ONE DAY Women's Summit. The above noted group that investigated higher education compensation found this to be somewhat noteworthy as it was extremely rare for spouses of presidents to receive pay.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I might be missing something, but is Bryant really that noteworthy to have a President with that salary? My guess is they're thinking long-term big picture then.

I think I could offer a lot for a ONE DAY Women's Summit....I'd take $15k, but $86k wouldn't be bad.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago I had heard Dooley might be looking at retiring at the end of the contract. I hope that's not the case because he has been phenomenal for the university
To follow up on this, Dooley's contract expires July 1st
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago I might be missing something, but is Bryant really that noteworthy to have a President with that salary? My guess is they're thinking long-term big picture then.

I think I could offer a lot for a ONE DAY Women's Summit....I'd take $15k, but $86k wouldn't be bad.
Yes I'd bet Taylor Swift would take $86k for a one day Women's Summit. Not as exhausting as a performance, she doesn't have to share the revenues with a crew of dozens, and easy commute from Westerly!
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago I might be missing something, but is Bryant really that noteworthy to have a President with that salary? My guess is they're thinking long-term big picture then.

Yes I'd bet Taylor Swift would take $86k for a one day Women's Summit. Not as exhausting as a performance, she doesn't have to share the revenues with a crew of dozens, and easy commute from Westerly!
To put it out there I am not even a TS fan 😂

But Taylor Swift > Bryant University’s President
2 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

Ahahaha, $86k is actually cheap for an act nowadays. My roommate was on the SEC board in the late 90s and they kept a price list of touring acts; I bet $86k could have damn near brought us Pearl Jam (or Bush to name a band really in their peak at that moment).
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

Ahahaha, $86k is actually cheap for an act nowadays. My roommate was on the SEC board in the late 90s and they kept a price list of touring acts; I bet $86k could have damn near brought us Pearl Jam (or Bush to name a band really in their peak at that moment).
Again. Two more musicians I don’t listen to. 😂
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I really, really hope Dooley does not retire soon, best URI pres of my lifetime hands down.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'