Week #11 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #11 - Games of Interest

Unread post by ramster »

SLU is +7.5 now
Obviously a lot of points playing at home and obviously a considerable underdog

But I think Saint Louis can pull the surprise here
  • Playing at home to a sold out arena on a Friday night
  • Pretty close to a Regional Rivalry between Dayton and St Louis - 360 miles
  • Hassan French is a beast inside similar to Langevine in rebounding and also a good shot blocker. Very strong and intimidating. Played with Jason Tatum in AAU. Highly recruited
  • Jordan Goodwin was very highly rated coming out of HS. He is a tremendous rebounder for his size, relentless, good scorer definitely the leader of the team - having his best year
  • Yuri Collins and Jimmy Bell start as Freshmen. Great game atmosphere might boost their confidence. But Freshmen are Freshmen so a wild card here
  • Big loss was Freshman Starter Gibson Jimmerson who was averaging 11ppg and 43% 3P. Brook his foot in practice mid December out for season.
I think SLU covers the 7.5 and a good chance to outright win.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago SLU is +7.5 now
Obviously a lot of points playing at home and obviously a considerable underdog

But I think Saint Louis can pull the surprise here
  • Playing at home to a sold out arena on a Friday night
  • Pretty close to a Regional Rivalry between Dayton and St Louis - 360 miles
  • Hassan French is a beast inside similar to Langevine in rebounding and also a good shot blocker. Very strong and intimidating. Played with Jason Tatum in AAU. Highly recruited
  • Jordan Goodwin was very highly rated coming out of HS. He is a tremendous rebounder for his size, relentless, good scorer definitely the leader of the team - having his best year
  • Yuri Collins and Jimmy Bell start as Freshmen. Great game atmosphere might boost their confidence. But Freshmen are Freshmen so a wild card here
  • Big loss was Freshman Starter Gibson Jimmerson who was averaging 11ppg and 43% 3P. Brook his foot in practice mid December out for season.
I think SLU covers the 7.5 and a good chance to outright win.
Don't underestimate the Arch-Baron Cup!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
Fast forward to Obi dropping 30 points and 15 boards on them tonight...
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Re: sellout in St. Louis -- how many tickets did Dayton fans buy?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

I think Dayton wins and covers.

For the overall good of the A10's national profile Dayton has to stay unbeaten for awhile... so that when we beat them it won't drop them out of the top 20, and it will give us the huge bump in the NET that we need.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago Re: sellout in St. Louis -- how many tickets did Dayton fans buy?
Dayton fans really support their team and do travel well but I can't imagine they will make up a big percentage of the some 10.6k at Chaifetz Arena. SLU is typically always near the top of the league in home attendance. In recent years they have usually been 3rd behind only Dayton and VCU. They however were drawing even better back during the Majerus years.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Dayton is always well represented at Ryan, considering the distance.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I have been reading about how Dayton has historically had trouble against certain A 10 teams and how they have had trouble at SLU.
Have you been watching this Dayton team this year ? It is by no means just Oie Toppin and it is not the same players they had even
last season . They are a very veteran team . They have added two terrific shooters in Chatman and Watson who have been consistent
all season . They haven't had a team as good as this since the '60s . It is my belief that they have to had a very bad game to lose to
anyone in the A 10 at this point . will they lose a game or two ? Maybe , just maybe . I think URI and VCU may be the only teams with any
chance to beat Dayton . If they do it will take a very good shooting night plus a great defensive effort . They have only lost two games and
both were in overtime to Kansas , a top 5 type team and Colorado on a last second three and they are also a top 20 type team that beat Oregon
as well . Dayton is averaging 83.1 pts per game and giving up only 64.1 . Watson is averaging 47.8 % from 3 and Crucher 40 % from three .
They are a nightmare matchup with 5 double figure scorers and they are unselfish . I don't think they are as good defensively as URI when URI is
at its best , but they are good there too. This is the best A 10 team that i can remeber . They are a true final four , NCAA championship
contender . Whhat was the last time we saw that ? St. Joes with Nelson and West ? I think this team may be better overall than that one .
Having said all that , it is basketball , so we will see what happens tonight for them. Does URI have any chance against them ? If they play their
best game so far , yes . Does SLU have a chance ? I think their chances are slim to none . But that as they say is why the game is decided on the court.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

What we wouldn't give to have 2 guys on our team that could shoot 3's at 40% or better.

That's the missing link for us!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Many good teams have 4-5 guys who can shoot 3Ps
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Biggest Brown Bear supporter tonight. Knock off Yale!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dayton has dropped to -7 points over SLU with 1 betting house now at -6.5

https://www.vegasinsider.com/college-ba ... las-vegas/
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In a late wrap-up of Thursday night action when there were no A-10 games played.:

Among URI OOC opponents:

Manhattan defeated Quinnipiac, 69-57 as the Jaspers won their fourth out of last five.

Middle Tennessee played one its better games, but lost in OT at Florida Atlantic, 97-94. This was the ninth consecutive loss for MTSU.

North Teaxas won its fourth straight as they took a road win at Southern Mississippi, 72-52.

Behind most of the second half, Western Kentucky came back from a three point deficit with 18 seconds left in game to beat ODU, 71-69.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

luke wrote: 4 years ago I have been reading about how Dayton has historically had trouble against certain A 10 teams and how they have had trouble at SLU.
Have you been watching this Dayton team this year ? It is by no means just Oie Toppin and it is not the same players they had even
last season . They are a very veteran team . They have added two terrific shooters in Chatman and Watson who have been consistent
all season . They haven't had a team as good as this since the '60s . It is my belief that they have to had a very bad game to lose to
anyone in the A 10 at this point . will they lose a game or two ? Maybe , just maybe . I think URI and VCU may be the only teams with any
chance to beat Dayton . If they do it will take a very good shooting night plus a great defensive effort . They have only lost two games and
both were in overtime to Kansas , a top 5 type team and Colorado on a last second three and they are also a top 20 type team that beat Oregon
as well . Dayton is averaging 83.1 pts per game and giving up only 64.1 . Watson is averaging 47.8 % from 3 and Crucher 40 % from three .
They are a nightmare matchup with 5 double figure scorers and they are unselfish . I don't think they are as good defensively as URI when URI is
at its best , but they are good there too. This is the best A 10 team that i can remeber . They are a true final four , NCAA championship
contender . Whhat was the last time we saw that ? St. Joes with Nelson and West ? I think this team may be better overall than that one .
Having said all that , it is basketball , so we will see what happens tonight for them. Does URI have any chance against them ? If they play their
best game so far , yes . Does SLU have a chance ? I think their chances are slim to none . But that as they say is why the game is decided on the court.
No doubt, Dayton is built to advance in March. They have a bona fide NBA player, and on most nights the best player on the floor, which matters.
A very good and experienced PG that shoots it well and controls tempo in Crutcher. Then they have a bunch of very good role players that play to their roles perfectly in Landers (Rebounding/Defense), Mikesell (high IQ, little bit of everything), Watson (great 3pt shooter, spark plug off bench), Chatman (Ball handling, defense). They will be a very tough out for anyone in our league. Will require someone to play above their level and likely Dayton playing below theirs, it can happen, and I think Rhody is 1 of the only teams with the talent to do it, but it will take a herculean effort even at home.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Give me St Louis plus points and under
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Dayton to me has looked like a top 5 team all year.

They lost a thriller to Kansas. Highest level game I've seen all year and they lost on the road to a top 20 colorado team, barely.

They should be ranked way higher than 13th. They've been killing people. Toppin is the best player in the country. Watson, Chatman, Landers and Cructher are all so solid. Mikesell averages 10, can make threes and take it to the hoop.

I think they can win it all.

They play good D. They have good athletes. They have the best player in the country and they can shoot as well as anybody. 2nd in kenpoms offensive efficiency ratings.

I am interested to see how SLU's physical style of play with Hasahn French down low can match up with them. Could give us an idea on how we can match up with them since we are so similar to SLU aaaaand VCU who had some success for a while against Dayton, but they just struggle so much on offense and couldn't keep up. Dayton has incredible spurtability as well.
It's likely you will see a similar thing happen tonight, although SLU has the homecourt advantage and that can always spot you a lot of momentum and points.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Give me St Louis plus points and under
I’m with you reef
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Joe95 wrote: 4 years ago Biggest Brown Bear supporter tonight. Knock off Yale!
I completely agree with Yale at NET 59 it’s a Q1 win for Brown!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Many good teams have 4-5 guys who can shoot 3Ps
We have at least 4-5 guys who can shoot 3's.

Unfortunately we don't have many who can make them lol.

We should never take more than 15 3's a game, unless someone gets hot...which actually does happen once in a while.

As for Brown, as long as they don't get blown out, this game tonight should help their NET...we need them to stay Q3.
0 x
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Things I've learned tonight, the Flyers are capable of playing as inconsistent as us. They're shooting as poorly as we do.

Can you say full house, conference, road game boys and girls?
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Yeah SLU’s got a 9 point lead with a couple of minutes left on the half
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Toppin 2-10 so far, really struggling and starting to force things.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

If SLU could make a single free throw.....
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

SLU would be up 15 if they could hit a free throw

3/12 so far
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago If SLU could make a single free throw.....
SLU is 3-12 from the line. It is their weakness. 2nd to last in D1 in FT%.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Kenpom has them last in FT.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Funny that even though they are conceivably the worst free throw shooting team ever I don’t hear audible groans and gasps coming from their fans.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Funny that even though they are conceivably the worst free throw shooting team ever I don’t hear audible groans and gasps coming from their fans.
How do you know this? Are you on their board often?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Funny that even though they are conceivably the worst free throw shooting team ever I don’t hear audible groans and gasps coming from their fans.

Uhhh I'm pretty sure he is able to gauge that by watching the game...

The crowd isn't very into this HUGE game at all.

I think I heard some groans though
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

so...if SLU wins, is it a court storm?
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

Cmon. I‘m sure there are many groans from their discussion board. I’m pretty sure listening to the crowd is not a good read on how their fans feel about their foul shooting!
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Brown hanging tough, down only 3 at half.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

Cmon. I‘m sure there are many groans from their discussion board. I’m pretty sure listening to the crowd is not a good read on how their fans feel about their foul shooting!

Hes referring to "audible groans and gasps coming from their fans"

Yeah I'm sure their board cant stand it, but he is talking about this game where SLU is currently PUNKING Dayton.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Roz wrote: 4 years ago Brown hanging tough, down only 3 at half.

Let's go RI state champs!
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Interesting stat
Dayton 16-31 on 2PT FGs and 2-16 3PT
St Louis 20-42 on 2PT and 2-5 3PT. SLU does have a lot of ORebs.

Something for URI to consider- take less threes.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Hack French

Send him to the line
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

2 point game
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

2 point game. SLU up 2 at the u4
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Let's go, SLU (2nd creepiest mascot ever?)
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

It was 55-42. Dayton on a 16-5 run
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

And Dayton up 1
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

BANG !
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

What a comeback for Dayton! Some huge 3's from Obi.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Dayton currently on a 24-6 run. Up 5 just under 2 min left.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Toppin is just an amazing player. It's insane how good he is. We are in good hands with Jacob, cause he has already shown his ability. Great basketball family!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I’ll say this. SLU can rebound!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Toppin is just an amazing player. It's insane how good he is. We are in good hands with Jacob, cause he has already shown his ability. Great basketball family!
Do they have any more brothers we can recruit?
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Brutal

Hit a FT

I wound have hacked French
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

OT. SLU has 14 missed FTs. Dayton missed a few in the last 30 secs that could have iced it. SLU ties it at the buzzer.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!