1/15 | Saint Joe’s | 7:30PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1/15 | Saint Joe’s | 7:30PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Saint Joseph’s University
Hagan Arena, Philadelphia, PA
Wednesday, January 15, 2020
7:30PM

Media
TV: Cox/YurView
Online: ESPN+
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or iHeart Radio App
Tune In Radio

Previews:
Saint Joe’s Fan Forum

Coming off a huge road win at VCU, Rhody travels to Philly to take on the struggling Saint Joseph’s Hawks. The Hawks have only 3 wins this season but one of those wins was against old friend Danny Hurley’s Huskies. You just hate to see that. Unfortunately, the Hawks have only one win in their last 13 games. They key to this one is slowing down Ryan Daly. He is their leader in just about every important statistical category & their only double-digit scorer. He is also prone to turn the ball over, so look for the guards to swarm him. If URI scuffles in this one, all the goodwill on the VCU road win will fly out the window. I see Rhody winning this one going away by 10. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
3-13, 0-4 in the A10
Last season: 14-19, 6-12 in the A10

Rankings:
RPI: 189
KenPom: 255
NCAA NET: 221

Leaders :
Points – Ryan Daly, 19.4 (Jr., G)
Rebounds – Ryan Daly, 8.0 (Jr., G)
Assists – Ryan Daly, 4.4 (Jr., G) (3.0 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 46-57
H: 25-23, A: 19-31, N: 2-3
Most Recent Matchup: 3/5/19 86-84(OT) W at St Joes
Most Recent Win Streak: 2 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 83.7% Chance of URI Winning
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Re: 1/15 | Saint Joe’s | 7:30PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Unread post by spookydog »

Hopefully the admins can merge the placeholder thread into this one. Sorry if I caused extra work
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Must win.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There can be no more Browns if we want to get and stay on or above the bubble.

If the team can't get up for this or any other game remaining on the schedule, then they will pay for it.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Joes scored 80+ vs Davidson. To me, this game will determine if we truly have momentum.
1 x
GO RAMS
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Do not take this team lightly. They were able to win @Uconn and hang around with Dayton in the first half. Cant loose focus, its a must win game and it should be treated like one.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Daly gets buckets... can't let him get cooking. I'm hoping Fatts shows out for Philly once again. That was fun.
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

They’re not wrong-

1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Daly looks like he should be playing football, not hoops.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Here is a better NBC video including a slow motion look of the Daly 3-point buzzer beater at Davidson. (you have to tolerate a commercial first)

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Here is a better NBC video including a slow motion look of the Daly 3-point buzzer beater at Davidson. (you have to tolerate a commercial first)

The other crazy thing about this play was the pass was meant for someone else and he just happened to hit it up and luckily, not only did it go it, but also a split second before his foot landed inside the line.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Here is a better NBC video including a slow motion look of the Daly 3-point buzzer beater at Davidson. (you have to tolerate a commercial first)

The other crazy thing about this play was the pass was meant for someone else and he just happened to hit it up and luckily, not only did it go it, but also a split second before his foot landed inside the 3 point line.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

YurView shows Xavier vs Marquette at 8 on Cox lineup for Wednesday night. No URI at 7:30. Agree that URI website also shows its on YurView. What’s up?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

All 4 A10 Games Wednesday Night are on ESPN+
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody Women’s Team plays at St Joseph’s at 5pm Wednesday. It’s a Women’s - Men’s Doubleheader.
2 x
OrangeRam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OrangeRam »

Take a look at Daly's right foot on that crazy 3 point shot. Did he travel?
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Just confirmed that "Rhode Isl vs. St Joe's" is on ESPN+ for 7:30pm Wednesday.

The ladies game between the same two schools is at 5:30pm, also on ESPN+
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Joes scored 80+ vs Davidson. To me, this game will determine if we truly have momentum.
To be noted that they scored 83 including overtime, 76 in regulation. Also to be noted that they gave up 89 total to Davidson, which scored 58 against us earlier in the week. If URI wants to be taken seriously as a contender in the league, this is a game it must win.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Not only is it a must win, but to gain momentum and continue our need for a strong conference performance, we also need this game not to be a nail biter in the last 4 minutes.
Goal (same as every game): go up early and do not let up.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There is a blog posting on the A10Talk site that looks at the personal foul difference in A-10 league games at the home venues of the league. It should surprise no Rhody fans that the biggest variation occurred at St Joe's Hagan Arena. The foul data for 134 league games was examined for the Hawks home and found that 2,560 personal fouls were called on the visiting team while just 1,984 were called on SJU. This was a 4.30 foul/game variance making it far and away the biggest gap at any A-10 home. The next closest home teams were quite a bit back with the advantage order of venues at GW, SLU, Dayton, GMU, and SBU following. URI's Ryan Center had a home team advantage of 221 fouls for 141 games for a variance of 1.57 fouls/game placing it 9th by average of 14 sites.

Many seasoned URI fans and posters here have long lamented the foul discrepancy on Hawk Hill when Rhody plays there. This sampling of data backs up the assertion that SJU gets a big help from refs there.

Link:
https://www.a10talk.com/forums/threads/ ... -play.175/
4 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

In the previous Saint Joe's thread, I had a clip from the recap of the URI vs St Joe's game in 1998, when Harrick was coach. It had highlights of Tyson Wheeler, Cuttino Mobley, and Antonio Reynolds-Dean. At Keaney Gymnasium.

You also saw the clip from the recent game of St. Joe's at Dayton. The point is, St. Joe's Philly is the home of wild man, chippy basketball. Cuttino Mobley came from Philly, just like Fatts Russell. Watch Cat grab a pass, shoot a baby hook and then roll over on his back on the hardwood. That's Philly inspired basketball. When you go to St. Joe's, their game plan is the same for every team: punch them in the mouth, stun them, get them out of their game plan, make them doubt themselves, make them panic, and then finish them off. In that order. Along with their typical homecooking discrepancy in fouls called.

Look for a chippy, scrappy, out of control game, where St. Joe's plays up to their competition. The bigger the opponent, the more effort you get out of them. They will play teams like Dayton, VCU, URI, Richmond, like they are possessed. Look at what they did to Hurley and UConn.

This game is going to be the definition of ugly. You have to balance, sticking to your own game plan, while at the same time matching their intensity, while at the same time not gifting them the charity stripe all throughout the game.

This is also the reason why I was hoping we would land Bishop. Bishop at St. Joes is just more of the same that they are used to. Scrappy, fast, out of control. Over here, he would have given this team another dimension, like Russell does.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The UConn game was a fluke. St. Joe’s hit something like 10 3’s in the first half, even when they weren’t getting good looks. With Bouknight I think they would have completed the comeback, given how he surprised some teams when he was able to play, but that’s irrelevant.

St. Joe’s can be a tough place to play, but for some reason it doesn’t seem as bad without Martelli. I haven’t been able to watch many complete URI games this season, so I’m looking forward to getting to see them. Pretty confident I’ll see a win.
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Last time, we needed Fatts to hit something like 10 3's.

With respect, I don't believe in flukes. I believe St. Joe's plays up to what they perceive is top competition.

And so does Rhody, unfortunately. Hence the Brown and Richmond losses.

Hopefully, they perceive St. Joe's to be top competition.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I think people tend to remember games where the “playing up or down” theory fits and forget the ones where it doesn’t. Confirmation bias gets us all eventually.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We should win this pretty easily I will say 80-67
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If they play defense like they did against VCU, this will be a nice win.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago If they play defense like they did against VCU, this will be a nice win.
Not only that we get to see the wing flapper.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

YurView is showing that legendary local rivalry of Xavier vs. Marquette. Sure as hell ain't MyView.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

All I can say is we never better see that offense we saw at Brown. Who has the scout?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago All I can say is we never better see that offense we saw at Brown. Who has the scout?
Alex Cora?
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
I love that the Referee and the Guy with the Movie Camera had to push Bobby Gallagher back.

and the look on Jim Harrick's face is priceless as the Ref explains to him the situation
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago All I can say is we never better see that offense we saw at Brown. Who has the scout?
Alex Cora?
Hah! 😂
0 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Saint Joseph's preview.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I can’t stand Bobby Gallagher that dreaded St Joe mascot
0 x
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Alex Cora?
Too soon.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah the offense was bad, but we'd better not see the defense we saw against Brown.

There wasn't any.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

0 x
Common sense is not common.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago There is a blog posting on the A10Talk site that looks at the personal foul difference in A-10 league games at the home venues of the league. It should surprise no Rhody fans that the biggest variation occurred at St Joe's Hagan Arena. The foul data for 134 league games was examined for the Hawks home and found that 2,560 personal fouls were called on the visiting team while just 1,984 were called on SJU. This was a 4.30 foul/game variance making it far and away the biggest gap at any A-10 home. The next closest home teams were quite a bit back with the advantage order of venues at GW, SLU, Dayton, GMU, and SBU following. URI's Ryan Center had a home team advantage of 221 fouls for 141 games for a variance of 1.57 fouls/game placing it 9th by average of 14 sites.

Many seasoned URI fans and posters here have long lamented the foul discrepancy on Hawk Hill when Rhody plays there. This sampling of data backs up the assertion that SJU gets a big help from refs there.

Link:
This is pretty interesting, thanks for posting.

The question is, why does this happen? It's not like the refs are from Philly every game, if at all? Right?
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Wed ProJo has game on Cox 4/1004.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RI_Bred wrote: 4 years ago
RF1 wrote: 4 years ago There is a blog posting on the A10Talk site that looks at the personal foul difference in A-10 league games at the home venues of the league. It should surprise no Rhody fans that the biggest variation occurred at St Joe's Hagan Arena. The foul data for 134 league games was examined for the Hawks home and found that 2,560 personal fouls were called on the visiting team while just 1,984 were called on SJU. This was a 4.30 foul/game variance making it far and away the biggest gap at any A-10 home. The next closest home teams were quite a bit back with the advantage order of venues at GW, SLU, Dayton, GMU, and SBU following. URI's Ryan Center had a home team advantage of 221 fouls for 141 games for a variance of 1.57 fouls/game placing it 9th by average of 14 sites.

Link:
This is pretty interesting, thanks for posting.

The question is, why does this happen? It's not like the refs are from Philly every game, if at all? Right?

Probably a combination of many things. Nearly all the data that was examined was with Martelli as head coach. He knew how to work officials and many were probably somewhat deferential to him given his long tenure in the league. My 40 year memory however is that the big foul advantage at Hawk Hill existed even well before Martelli. The oft used St Joe's story of being little Davey, the small Catholic city school going up against the goliath larger schools probably was in the sub-consciousness of the refs. The compactness of the tiny Hagan Arena put fans on top of the action and put them into very close proximity to the refs which might have unduly influenced their calls. The notorious sports culture of Philly and reputation of its vociferous fans probably was also a factor as well.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......my opine, how does this happens?......shit happens(Jenifer Nettles)..... I would like to think no official worth his salt, at this level goes into a game with any thoughts or actions to fav one team over another.....to me, this data only has value for those that see refs as reasons for losses, so that they can point to this data for support.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ......my opine, how does this happens?......shit happens(Jenifer Nettles)..... I would like to think no official worth his salt, at this level goes into a game with any thoughts or actions to fav one team over another.....to me, this data only has value for those that see refs as reasons for losses, so that they can point to this data for support.....
So are you saying the data isn’t fact? Using one’s opinion to dispel factual data seems to be an excuse to not rely on the facts 😳
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ......my opine, how does this happens?......shit happens(Jenifer Nettles)..... I would like to think no official worth his salt, at this level goes into a game with any thoughts or actions to fav one team over another.....to me, this data only has value for those that see refs as reasons for losses, so that they can point to this data for support.....
So are you saying the data isn’t fact? Using one’s opinion to dispel factual data seems to be an excuse to not rely on the facts 😳

I don't think 105 is dispelling the fact. I think he is saying that because statistically more fouls are called on st. joe's opponents at Hagan Arena, doesn't necessarily intimate that the refs are intentionally making erroneous calls to favor st. joes.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Refs have unconscious bias - they're people after all. It wouldn't surprise me if you *could* make an equation to account for it, by factoring in crowd size and proximity to the floor. (And also - It wouldn't surprise me if, on an individual level, certain refs have a bias *against* the home team.)
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

I don't think 105 is dispelling the fact. I think he is saying that because statistically more fouls are called on st. joe's opponents at Hagan Arena, doesn't necessarily intimate that the refs are intentionally making erroneous calls to favor st. joes.
.....Yes 86, that is it.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Games like tonight worry me. URI will be favored and most think should win. Rhody is however very inconsistent. It followed its best effort on the road at MTSU with a lackluster performance at Brown that also extended into the next game at home versus Richmond. URI went to VCU with few realistically expecting a win. The good Rams however led nearly the entire game. It sort of mirrors last season with some very good wins (VCU, @ Dayton) along with bad losses to the likes of Fordham and UMass. I am therefore not penciling in any sure wins. St Joe's, while piling up the losses, is still playing hard. They came from far back late at Davidson to force OT. Strange things have also happened at Hawk Hill to URI over the years. A loss tonight to Joes would not totally surprise me. I am however hoping that will not be the case.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Any road game is a difficult one. Took us OT last season.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Need to get back quick and guard the three on defense and pound the ball inside on offense tonight.
Can't let them get comfortable behind the arc.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Rhody can no longer afford any bad losses in conference since we were unable to secure a big non conf win vs WV, Maryland or LSU for ncaa at large consideration. A loss would be even worse for A10 tournament seeding which is our only likely path to dance. Have no idea what to expect tonight but I know for sure I will not be surprised by any result.

I say URI wins 65-60
0 x