2019-20 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

2019-20 Bracketology

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Figured I'd start a thread for this, both for URI (since that's the goal) and the A-10/NCAA in general. Rhode Island doesn't have the resume to appear in any brackets yet, but they did land in an NIT Bracketology posted today. It has them as a 6 seed facing 3 seed Oregon State with a potential second-round game against UConn. This means to me that Rhody is a bubble team right now, and if they take care of business in the A-10 they'll get on the right side of it (and avoid a potential game which could have ace laying in traffic).

1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2019-20 Bracketology

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rutgers is not a mid major, they are in the B10.

Ha ha URI vs. UConn in the NIT.

Not the preferred tourney, but it would be interesting.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Agree we are a bubble team right now. Amazing how just a couple possessions in the WVU game and we would probably be on the good side of the bubble. We will get there though.
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Shame on Templon for having Georgetown in his last 8 in for the NCAA, that is f'n horrible

After getting shallacked at PC and losing some of their core guys, they are done
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Rutgers is not a mid major, they are in the B10.

Ha ha URI vs. UConn in the NIT.

Not the preferred tourney, but it would be interesting.
They know that, it's part of the shtick on that account to troll BE and bad P5 teams and call them mid major.
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago Shame on Templon for having Georgetown in his last 8 in for the NCAA, that is f'n horrible

After getting shallacked at PC and losing some of their core guys, they are done
Georgetown is 3-4 in Q1/Q2 games with an SOS of 21 (18 in OOC).
On Bracket Matrix of brackets updated only on 1/1, almost as many people (3) had Georgetown as a 9 seed as they did out of the tournament (4).
I don't think Georgetown will be a tournament team, but I'm amazed at how many people eye test one or two games and ignore the resume and go "I watched that team, they suck, how could anyone have them ranked so high?"
We can all have the opinion that a team isn't that good after one or two games, but it doesn't matter what we think, it matters what they produce on the court over the course of an entire season.
It's like the Butler thing from last night -- "How is Butler #11? They aren't that good."
"Well they are 4-1 in Q1 games and 3-0 in Q2 games and their only loss came to #5 in the country."
I too think Butler is overrated, but the numbers are the numbers.
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago Shame on Templon for having Georgetown in his last 8 in for the NCAA, that is f'n horrible

Georgetown is 3-4 in Q1/Q2 games with an SOS of 21 (18 in OOC).
On Bracket Matrix of brackets updated only on 1/1, almost as many people (3) had Georgetown as a 9 seed as they did out of the tournament (4).
I don't think Georgetown will be a tournament team, but I'm amazed at how many people eye test one or two games and ignore the resume and go "I watched that team, they suck, how could anyone have them ranked so high?"
We can all have the opinion that a team isn't that good after one or two games, but it doesn't matter what we think, it matters what they produce on the court over the course of an entire season.
It's like the Butler thing from last night -- "How is Butler #11? They aren't that good."
"Well they are 4-1 in Q1 games and 3-0 in Q2 games and their only loss came to #5 in the country."
I too think Butler is overrated, but the numbers are the numbers.
Ok, shame on me, i should have put it a different way, that they will not be a tournament team in a few weeks, since they are not the team that started the season.

I have watched or followed more than just two games this year for them, so you can remove "the people eye test one or two games and ignore the resume and go "I watched that team, they suck, how could anyone have them ranked so high?"

maybe some of my frustration oozed in to the post because of how douchey Ewing and the AD were in the handling of Walker
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I officially hate this thread starting on Jan 2nd. URI only has 20+ games left before Selection Sunday. Where do they stand 🤮
4 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I officially hate this thread starting on Jan 2nd. URI only has 20+ games left before Selection Sunday. Where do they stand 🤮
I usually do my best to not really read until near the end of conference play, although I will admit that knowing where teams stand, roughly, as we head into conference play is useful.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I officially hate this thread starting on Jan 2nd. URI only has 20+ games left before Selection Sunday. Where do they stand 🤮
I usually do my best to not really read until near the end of conference play, although I will admit that knowing where teams stand, roughly, as we head into conference play is useful.
Lunardi dropped his first 2019-20 Bracketology about nine months ago. That was for sure useless. But once the games start being played and data is gathered and the NET rankings are released, stuff like this helps to paint a picture.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I would say that we didn't help our case and we didn't hurt our case through the OOC. The only disappointment, IMO, has been the quality of the opponent (PC, WKU, Alabama) compared against where we expected them to be.

I still think we're very much in the mix, but need to take care of business - especially at home - in the A10.

Not saying we'll do it, but going undefeated at home means a season sweep over Richmond, St. Louis, and Duquesne and splits against VCU and Dayton.

I would say that pretty much cements an NCAA seed around 7-9.
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Looking forward to the NIT this season.
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Unless we sweep Dayton and VCU and lose to basically no one, we'll be on our way to the NIT
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Games like tonight are why I don’t get worked up over bracketology at the beginning of conference season.

Now, besides rooting for PC and Alabama to play well in conference and Western Kentucky to win its league, we need to root for Brown to win the Ivy League. Unlikely, given results I’ve seen from Harvard, Penn and Yale so far. We know Princeton usually fields a representative team, too.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Bubble Watch from the Athletic. Rhody in the 'Work Left To Do' section.

Rhode Island (14-5, 6-1; NET: 47, SOS: 34): Welcome to the Rams, who captured their fifth and sixth consecutive wins last week, 77-55 at home versus a solid Duquesne team and 81-75 at St. Bonaventure, which registers (very narrowly, for now) as a Quadrant 2 victory. Not bad. Three of the Rams’ five losses came to West Virginia (away), Maryland (away) and LSU (neutral), and the only really bad loss, to Brown, at least came on the road. It’s a pretty solid résumé, frankly, and one that totally snuck up on us last week, and effectively takes the place of Saint Louis, a fringe bubble team that lost to Davidson last Wednesday. But hey: Welcome!
5 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Nice to see the Rams getting votes in this weeks AP poll

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology

URI was the first team on First Four out. I guess we can say that all these games are the biggest one of the year
0 x
SlamRam
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by SlamRam »

Each game individually is the biggest game of the year......so long as we keep winning....
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RHODE ISLAND (NET: 47, NBC: First four out): The Rams avoided one of the landmines left on their schedule, winning at St. Bonaventure on Saturday, but they are not in a great spot at the moment. URI is on the wrong side of the bubble right now, and while every team in the power conferences are playing one or two Quad 1 games a week, URI has just two left on their schedule — their two games against Dayton (5). Their win at VCU (39) is nice, but it is counteracted by a loss at Brown (229).

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com ... e#section8
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

FWIW...as of 1/28 everyone's favorite Joe Lunardi has VCU as the last team in and URI and Alabama as the first two teams out.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago RHODE ISLAND (NET: 47, NBC: First four out): The Rams avoided one of the landmines left on their schedule, winning at St. Bonaventure on Saturday, but they are not in a great spot at the moment. URI is on the wrong side of the bubble right now, and while every team in the power conferences are playing one or two Quad 1 games a week, URI has just two left on their schedule — their two games against Dayton (5). Their win at VCU (39) is nice, but it is counteracted by a loss at Brown (229).

I totally disagree that Bonaventure was a "landmine". Save that word for Q3/Q4 games.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago RHODE ISLAND (NET: 47, NBC: First four out): The Rams avoided one of the landmines left on their schedule, winning at St. Bonaventure on Saturday, but they are not in a great spot at the moment. URI is on the wrong side of the bubble right now, and while every team in the power conferences are playing one or two Quad 1 games a week, URI has just two left on their schedule — their two games against Dayton (5). Their win at VCU (39) is nice, but it is counteracted by a loss at Brown (229).

I totally disagree that Bonaventure was a "landmine". Save that word for Q3/Q4 games.
St. Bonaventure has a current NET of 133. The smallest of drops can result in that becoming a Q3 game which while maybe not true now, could have made it a "landmine."
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I do feel like this is unfortunately accurate. A Dayton split plus an 8-1 record the rest of the way is what we'll need to get in as an at large.

Otherwise we'll need a conference championship appearance at a minimum.

Either way, none of it matters if we don't win tonight.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Blue Man how is your back? Worried about you dragging the goal posts all around town like this.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

I do feel like this is unfortunately accurate. A Dayton split plus an 8-1 record the rest of the way is what we'll need to get in as an at large.

I disagree with the above. What Blueman described would be an absolute lock resume, not what we need to get in. A 15-3 record in the A-10, a second place finish and an overall record of 23-7 based on the schedule they played should be lock category with or without a win over Dayton.

The key is to finish second in the A-10 and finishing 14-4. That would get them in the tournament in my opinion. If they sweep VCU and finish second in the A-10, they will be dancing. Lose to VCU and beat Dayton once, finish 14-4 and finish second, will be dancing. Finishing third may be tough but possible with some breaks.

But let me just vent on what a rigged system this entire process is. The RPI was far from perfect, but it was a much fairer system than this NET is. But oh no, a couple of mid majors were taking advantage of it whatever the hell that means, and therefore the entire system had to be scrapped. Rhode Island has a top 20 RPI but a NET of 47. I bet if you compare the RPI numbers to the NET numbers, you would see this consistent theme where the majority of the NET numbers for the P5's would be higher than the RPI. Why do you think this is? Trust me, it is not a mere coincidence that this is the case.

It has never been harder to make the tournament than it is now if you are not in one of the power conferences. It was a rigged game to begin with, and it just became much more rigged with this bogus Q1 and Q2 games based on a metric designed by the power schools. And with the media falling in line with comments like Rob Dauster just made, it just pisses me off. There should be people in the media railing against the rigged system instead of just saying, oh too bad for you, as Dauster just did in his comments about the Q1 games.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Blue Man how is your back? Worried about you dragging the goal posts all around town like this.
It's a mess. Thankfully my brain is super flexible with all the mental gymnastics I do :D

But it's what I must do to keep myself above water.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

4Diffs wrote: 4 years ago

I disagree with the above. What Blueman described would be an absolute lock resume, not what we need to get in. A 15-3 record in the A-10, a second place finish and an overall record of 23-7 based on the schedule they played should be lock category with or without a win over Dayton.

The key is to finish second in the A-10 and finishing 14-4. That would get them in the tournament in my opinion. If they sweep VCU and finish second in the A-10, they will be dancing. Lose to VCU and beat Dayton once, finish 14-4 and finish second, will be dancing. Finishing third may be tough but possible with some breaks.

But let me just vent on what a rigged system this entire process is. The RPI was far from perfect, but it was a much fairer system than this NET is. But oh no, a couple of mid majors were taking advantage of it whatever the hell that means, and therefore the entire system had to be scrapped. Rhode Island has a top 20 RPI but a NET of 47. I bet if you compare the RPI numbers to the NET numbers, you would see this consistent theme where the majority of the NET numbers for the P5's would be higher than the RPI. Why do you think this is? Trust me, it is not a mere coincidence that this is the case.

It has never been harder to make the tournament than it is now if you are not in one of the power conferences. It was a rigged game to begin with, and it just became much more rigged with this bogus Q1 and Q2 games based on a metric designed by the power schools. And with the media falling in line with comments like Rob Dauster just made, it just pisses me off. There should be people in the media railing against the rigged system instead of just saying, oh too bad for you, as Dauster just did in his comments about the Q1 games.
Oh yes - I'm definitely talking about the absolute lock resume. I've been a bridesmaid and not a bride so many times in this scenario it's all I can do is write a situation in my head that is 100% air tight.

As you accurately point out, the deck feels even more stacked against the mid-majors now, so it's imperative that our resume be incredibly above board.

If I can offer a possible explanation for the NET vs RPI being so drastically different - I think they'll end up being much closer by the end of the season.

NET starts with everyone being equal. RPI starts weighted against what everyone figures will be the best teams pre-season. So the win against PC for example might look way better than it is in NET - simply because everyone figured PC was going to be a sure-fire NCAA team this year.

By the end of the year - if everything continues to hold and the rankings start to really change, the NET will too. At least that's my thought.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago FWIW...as of 1/28 everyone's favorite Joe Lunardi has VCU as the last team in and URI and Alabama as the first two teams out.
We just need to take care of VCU Friday (and not overlook GMU tonight).
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

4Diffs wrote: 4 years ago

much of what you say is likely true...though i think we need to go 15-3 (2-2 in the games vs. Dayton, at Davidson and home for VCU and win all other games)....but to be fair to you think Rhody is closer to the 18th best team in the country or the 47th best team in the country?
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

In this morning's Bracketville update, we are the last bye in the NCAA tournament. He has us as an 11 seed in Tampa taking on Illinois

https://bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology/
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

CBS Sports has URI as last four in as an 11 seed.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... cketology/
2 x
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Joey "The Lunatic" Lunardi has URI as last four in as an 11 seed

2 x
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Joey "The Lunatic" Lunardi has URI as last four in as an 11 seed

It would be a great bracket to be in. Much better than having a Duke of a couple years ago waiting in the second round. Other than extra game of course
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Joey "The Lunatic" Lunardi has URI as last four in as an 11 seed

It would be a great bracket to be in. Much better than having a Duke of a couple years ago waiting in the second round. Other than extra game of course
What an odd bracket though... we're in the same quarter bracket as Dayton and WVU and Dayton in the same bracket as us and Colorado, the only other team to beat Dayton besides Kansas.

I'd rather be in VCU shoe's and playing Illinois... you know Cyril, Martin and Fatts aren't gong to take shit from any of those players.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RamIt! wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

What an odd bracket though... we're in the same quarter bracket as Dayton and WVU and Dayton in the same bracket as us and Colorado, the only other team to beat Dayton besides Kansas.

I'd rather be in VCU shoe's and playing Illinois... you know Cyril, Martin and Fatts aren't gong to take shit from any of those players.
Don’t pay attention to the match ups and who is in their bracket. Totally meaningless information. They have zero insight into how each Region will be put together. And there are 11+ games left to play.
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

It’s now February, and URI is in the field on Bracket Matrix as an 11 seed.

Keep winning.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Unless we sweep Dayton and VCU and lose to basically no one, we'll be on our way to the NIT
Well check on point two! So far so good on point 3!
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Bracketville has us as the last of 4 to avoid play in game.

3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What is our updated NET ??
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

What a freaking run.

We are IN as it stands.

Just gotta stay in!!!!

One game at a time, keep knocking them off.

The more we win the more other teams we are competing against for a bid lose :)

Way to go us!
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago What is our updated NET ??
URI jumped 3 spots in NET over night to 41 from 44 with its win over vcu. Vcu fell 4 spots from 33 to 37
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I saw brackets that have URI as a 9/10/11 seed. So we have a foot in the door.
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago Bracketville has us as the last of 4 to avoid play in game.

Find it weird that they are projecting Dayton as a 4 right now.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Why do people use bracketville?

Bracketmatrix is the most accurate.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Why do people use bracketville?

I also like Bracket Matrix as it is not a single bracket. It is a compilation of 96 different bracket estimates. This makes it far more objective as the whims and thinking of a single expert are weighted just as one of ninety-six.

Bracket Matrix Link:
http://www.bracketmatrix.com/
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Bracketville is the most accurate single source:
http://www.bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago Bracketville has us as the last of 4 to avoid play in game.

Find it weird that they are projecting Dayton as a 4 right now.
Yeah agree I would think 3 at worst right now maybe 2
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It's not. Bracketville has been the most accurate over the last five years, that's why I use it
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Unless we sweep Dayton and VCU and lose to basically no one, we'll be on our way to the NIT
Crazy how much changes in a month. Although I still think we can only really lose 1 to Dayton and that may be it.
I still don't understand how any site can have VCU ahead of us. Only beating them once, okay keep them ranked higher, but beating them twice and in the fashion we did last night...
I think we should break into at least the 30s
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago
Crazy how much changes in a month. Although I still think we can only really lose 1 to Dayton and that may be it.
I still don't understand how any site can have VCU ahead of us. Only beating them once, okay keep them ranked higher, but beating them twice and in the fashion we did last night...
I think we should break into at least the 30s
So you don’t think losing on the road to Dayton and Davidson, but winning the rest including home win over Dayton is enough? Other scenario losing to Dayton twice and running the table with the rest. I am usually more skeptical than most, but think that keeps us as the second team from the A-10 in terms of an at large
2 x