1/2 | Brown | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Re: 1/2 | Brown | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Didn’t see the game so don’t comment on game situations I don’t see.

I am concerned about the post halftime team demeanor comments tho as Cox lack of focus on coaching the team until the ball is in play(lack of control of layup line and pretip activity) has been a huge thumbs down criticism of his coaching from me. I strongly believe the game begins when the team departs the locker room. A focused, committed no nonsense pre game with a attentive coaching staff watching every activity sends a powerful message to an opponent. We are here to play and you damn well know it’s all business! Walk on players attempting circus dunks in the layup line is not all business in my old school book. Didn’t make it to the Pizz last light sadly but the comments are troubling.

No excuses for giving up 85 to a midpack Ivy League club.

Negative Nancie and Bummer Bob will be back strong on the forums apparently deservedly so...
Totally agree with this. The layup line is a joke. And glad someone other than me has noticed how lethargic and uncaring they look coming out of the locker room after halftime. I’m not saying they don’t care. It’s just not a good look. The fact that it has been the same way the last year and a half tells me the coaching staff condones it.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Didn’t see the game so don’t comment on game situations I don’t see.

I am concerned about the post halftime team demeanor comments tho as Cox lack of focus on coaching the team until the ball is in play(lack of control of layup line and pretip activity) has been a huge thumbs down criticism of his coaching from me. I strongly believe the game begins when the team departs the locker room. A focused, committed no nonsense pre game with a attentive coaching staff watching every activity sends a powerful message to an opponent. We are here to play and you damn well know it’s all business! Walk on players attempting circus dunks in the layup line is not all business in my old school book. Didn’t make it to the Pizz last light sadly but the comments are troubling.

No excuses for giving up 85 to a midpack Ivy League club.

Negative Nancie and Bummer Bob will be back strong on the forums apparently deservedly so...
Totally agree with this. The layup line is a joke. And glad someone other than me has noticed how lethargic and uncaring they look coming out of the locker room after halftime. I’m not saying they don’t care. It’s just not a good look. The fact that it has been the same way the last year and a half tells me the coaching staff condones it.
The reluctance to call Timeouts fits with the pregame warmups and halftime listless. Can’t understand not utilizing timeouts allowed and then losing them.
I also frown upon certain players always getting mad at Refs even when it dies t even look like a foul. If you screw up own it, don’t be trying to make it look like the Referees fault that you screwed up.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago To be fair the first 3 minutes after halftime were the best basketball we played all night. Not sure what was said but we made significant changes, upped the effort, defended Brown beyond the 3 point line, and went to the basket offensively. Immediately tied the game up and forced Brown to call timeout.

Not sure why it didn't continue but the effort out of the break was the only good part of the night. Odd that we couldn't keep it up the remaining 17 minutes.
Yep, I'm not sure where the "URI was lethargic coming out of halftime" narrative came from, but to me it was the only time they WEREN'T lethargic.
I don’t think the lethargy being discussed has to do with how they play once the second half starts. We are talking about how literally dead they look when they exit the locker room. If you at the RC Sunday take notice. It takes Jeff 5 minutes to lead them from the locker to half court. Same thing EVERY game.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago

emBARONsing losing to brown

Team and coach should be shamed of themselves

Total BUST and blew up our entire OOC resume

Thanks for putting me in a bad mood until Sunday RHODY !!!

Sunday can’t get here soon enough

Time to right this ship in conference!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago This may not be the right forum or thread to discuss this BUT, for the first time last night, we were in seats that gave us a very up close look at Coach Carroll Sr. I do not want to be disrespectful to the man, as I feel terrible for what he went through.

HOWEVER, he is not coaching at all...I can’t imagine that he adds anything at all in practices and he certainly cannot be recruiting. He walks Out to the floor at TOs and returns to his seat when he hears the whistle. Stares blankly all throughout the game without any interaction.

He is taking the place of a Bigs Coach that we should have. In essence we are down one Coach in all respects.

It’s honorable that the University felt inclined (or legally bound) to continue his contract, but has the team been shorted?
URI has the allowed number of Assistants - Sutton, TJ & Austin. John Carroll isn’t allowed to coach during games or recruit. URI wouldn’t have a big man coach if he wasn’t on the staff. He is a consultant to Cox in video evaluation and game planning - leveraging his 30 years of knowledge in college & the pros. I don’t think he gets paid much (a package deal with Austin). I agree that he doesn’t look good. Kind of shuffles back to his seat.
“We will be good when we are good.”
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Brown shot better for sure but they shared the bell much better than we did. They passed well inside the paint but also passed back outside to find the open man for 3Ps.
We did not pass nearly as well as we did the past two games.
They pass because their guys move without the ball. Our guys, at least last night stand still and watch whoever has the ball. So the ball handler would just drive and throw up a bad shot or get caught with no place to throw the ball. The biggest culprits were Jeff, Fatts, and Tyrese. Of course they had the ball the most.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TP, I think your reaction is way over the top. It was a bad loss but it doesn’t make the rest of the year exhibition games. Sorry you feel that way. Every team has had a bad loss. I understand all your points but there are plenty of opportunities in front of this team. The margin for error was small before this and is slightly smaller now. I still believe 3rd place in the A10 with home wins against Dayton, VCU, Richmond, Duquesne & SLU with a 13-5 record get them in the Tournament. They also can’t lose to anyone other than Dayton or VCU in Brooklyn. The problem is their performance in OOC play doesn’t give me confidence they can do that. #1 defense has to improve. #2 outside shooting has to improve.

My concern is that this team might not be very good. I am shocked that Jeff and Cyril aren’t playing at the level they did last year and at the number of bad games they have had. At the end of more than 50% of the games this year I have told myself to lower my expectations. Many of those have been after wins against weak opponents.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago TP, I think your reaction is way over the top. It was a bad loss but it doesn’t make the rest of the year exhibition games. Sorry you feel that way. Every team has had a bad loss. I understand all your points but there are plenty of opportunities in front of this team. The margin for error was small before this and is slightly smaller now. I still believe 3rd place in the A10 with home wins against Dayton, VCU, Richmond, Duquesne & SLU with a 13-5 record get them in the Tournament. They also can’t lose to anyone other than Dayton or VCU in Brooklyn. The problem is their performance in OOC play doesn’t give me confidence they can do that. #1 defense has to improve. #2 outside shooting has to improve.

My concern is that this team might not be very good. I am shocked that Jeff and Cyril aren’t playing at the level they did last year and at the number of bad games they have had. At the end of more than 50% of the games this year I have told myself to lower my expectations. Many of those have been after wins against weak opponents.
This statement makes sense, but I don’t think wins over Richmond and Duquesne mean much in the national landscape. These teams aren’t that good and they will be mediocre like most of the conference. I also think anything less than 14-4 and we can forget about it. That would mean 10 loses and very few quality wins if they were to go 13-5. Not happening. Believing anything different is not reality. It might all be a mute point anyway as we probably aren’t good enough to pull this off. I agree with you on the defense. Martin and the crew have looked very poor-especially last night.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

When we get to 10 losses we are toast, any way you want to spin it.

Doesn't matter who we beat or lose to.

The reality of all this sucks. But it's what we have to deal with.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Fatts is not getting enough assists. After the Brown game, he will continue to get physically abused by opponents. Teammates are standing around because of Fatts. The offense needs to run through Jeff Dowtin who is a far better distributor than Fatts and Jeff makes his teammates better. Defense is all about attitude. What's happening on offense is effecting defensive attitude.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago TP, I think your reaction is way over the top. It was a bad loss but it doesn’t make the rest of the year exhibition games. Sorry you feel that way. Every team has had a bad loss. I understand all your points but there are plenty of opportunities in front of this team. The margin for error was small before this and is slightly smaller now. I still believe 3rd place in the A10 with home wins against Dayton, VCU, Richmond, Duquesne & SLU with a 13-5 record get them in the Tournament. They also can’t lose to anyone other than Dayton or VCU in Brooklyn. The problem is their performance in OOC play doesn’t give me confidence they can do that. #1 defense has to improve. #2 outside shooting has to improve.

This statement makes sense, but I don’t think wins over Richmond and Duquesne mean much in the national landscape. These teams aren’t that good and they will be mediocre like most of the conference. I also think anything less than 14-4 and we can forget about it. That would mean 10 loses and very few quality wins if they were to go 13-5. Not happening. Believing anything different is not reality. It might all be a mute point anyway as we probably aren’t good enough to pull this off. I agree with you on the defense. Martin and the crew have looked very poor-especially last night.
You state that my statement makes sense but then disagree with most of it.
I dislike absolutes because there are typically scenarios that can poke a hole in them.
The reason Richmond, Duquesne & SLU are on the list is because they are competition for 3rd place. Duquesne beat SLU handily last night.
I am guessing your 10 loss calculation includes losing in the A10 Tournament (OOC 8-4, A10 13-5, 1 loss in A10T).
I am not saying this will happen but here is a scenario with 10 losses that I like.
A10 losses (5) - @ Dayton, @ VCU, @ Bonnies, @ Mason, @ Davidson
A10 wins (13) w/key wins - Dayton, VCU, Richmond, Duquesne, SLU, Davidson, @ Mason
A10 T (2-1) - win quarters, beat VCU in semis & lose to Dayton in Championship
Finish 23-10
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

FWIW, I don't understand the fascination with the Pizzitola Center. I think the place is a dump, it's uncomfortable and has stifling and unhealthy air quality. Its capacity is 2700, but all the amenities are sized to handle 800 fans. Brown should be ashamed of the bush league quality of the place.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago FWIW, I don't understand the fascination with the Pizzitola Center. I think the place is a dump, it's uncomfortable and has stifling and unhealthy air quality. Its capacity is 2700, but all the amenities are sized to handle 800 fans. Brown should be ashamed of the bush league quality of the place.
Agree.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I actually more or less agree with this - I’m not really convinced 13-5 will do and 14-4 I think probably puts us on the bubble. You hit on the real issue though: before last night I thought that 14-4 was doable and now I don’t. I just don’t think we are that good. I viewed some of our hairier wins against teams we should beat as good character wins - essentially I took it as a positive that we didn’t let the Brown game happen in some of these other games. I thought we were Brown game proof, I guess. And now not only do we have the blemish on an already thin resume, but my confidence level in this team to show up and win the games they will need to win - meaning bringing it against the really good teams but also doing what they have to when they have an off night against a lesser team - is just about zero.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

I dislike absolutes because there are typically scenarios that can poke a hole in them.
The reason Richmond, Duquesne & SLU are on the list is because they are competition for 3rd place. Duquesne beat SLU handily last night.
I am guessing your 10 loss calculation includes losing in the A10 Tournament (OOC 8-4, A10 13-5, 1 loss in A10T).
I am not saying this will happen but here is a scenario with 10 losses that I like.
A10 wins (13) w/key wins - Dayton, VCU, Richmond, Duquesne, SLU, Davidson, @ Mason
Finish 23-10
Yes on the 10 loses including the A-10 tourney. I think more than anything I have lost confidence in this team and between their defense, lack of outside shooting and top players not living up to expectations it is hard to believe we are more than a 11-7 or 10-8 team in conference. I also believe that many of these teams like Richmond, Duquesne, St. Louis and George Mason are not that great and will lose to lower level teams on the road frequently. If they were follow the scenario you put out I guess they could have a shot depending upon what other bubble teams do. This team just doesn’t feel right. They will probably beat Richmond and than lose to Davidson. I know they aren’t tough enough to win at VCU.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Finish 23-10
Yes on the 10 loses including the A-10 tourney. I think more than anything I have lost confidence in this team and between their defense, lack of outside shooting and top players not living up to expectations it is hard to believe we are more than a 11-7 or 10-8 team in conference. I also believe that many of these teams like Richmond, Duquesne, St. Louis and George Mason are not that great and will lose to lower level teams on the road frequently. If they were follow the scenario you put out I guess they could have a shot depending upon what other bubble teams do. This team just doesn’t feel right. They will probably beat Richmond and than lose to Davidson. I know they aren’t tough enough to win at VCU.
How can you say “you know they aren’t tough enough to win at VCU”? This is the same team that got clobbered at home by Stony Brook last season and went on to beat to Dayton and VCU (twice). When did this board become fortune tellers?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Finish 23-10
How can you say “you know they aren’t tough enough to win at VCU”? This is the same team that got clobbered at home by Stony Brook last season and went on to beat to Dayton and VCU (twice). When did this board become fortune tellers?
Also lost to Fordham, Duquesne, Bucknell, Hawaii, Umass, St.Louis and George Mason to name a few. It is being consistent over a season that is needed to get to the tourney. I know you defend Cox to the end, but there is no way you can defend the last games performance. Defense has been the one thing we have done pretty well over the last 5 years. You think this team is going 14-4 over the last 18?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

My confidence is low as well. They haven’t shown any consistency and haven’t shown the shutdown defense that gets a team thru tough nights offensively. I do have hope. It will take changes. If they play like they have over the first 12 games, they will not go 14-4. I am hoping we see the changes that made the run the end of last year possible. They have played below their potential - especially Jeff, Cyril & Tyrese. I am really surprised by Jeff and Cyril - it is in there, they can turn it around. Let’s hope it starts Sunday. We can all be their to give them the home court advantage.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think it’s going to be real tough to go 14-4 but if we somehow do then I think we go dancing

I think the best we can do is 13-5 and then that’s most likely NIT unless we make the A10 finals and lose that could be squarely on the bubble
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Wait until Sunday. It’ll wash all the tears away.
GO RAMS
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Hoping this loss was just a blip on the radar , but I am not all that confident going into the richmond game. I was confident until this debacle .
Need this win to restore my faith . Need a fast start and to see some outside shots falling and I think the players need to see the same .
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Love Jeff's tweet . Way to go Jeff , that's the spirit . You aren't in your room sulking , you are trying your best to get better and I respect
the hell out of that . I truly hope you weren't alone out on the court because you weren't the only one who needs to get better . the whole
team should be with you and Cyril should be on the foul line for a long time Best of luck to you Jeff and to any others who chose to go out
and work harder . At the very lest you can work out some of your frustration and come back Sunday with a clear head and determination .
good luck Jeff and all, we love you guys.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Brown shot better for sure but they shared the bell much better than we did. They passed well inside the paint but also passed back outside to find the open man for 3Ps.
We did not pass nearly as well as we did the past two games.
They pass because their guys move without the ball. Our guys, at least last night stand still and watch whoever has the ball. So the ball handler would just drive and throw up a bad shot or get caught with no place to throw the ball. The biggest culprits were Jeff, Fatts, and Tyrese. Of course they had the ball the most.
It’s been an issue in many games this season that Langevine, Harris and Toppin move but we don’t throw the ball to them. Fatts took 24 shots scoring 19 points (6 FT’s). That’s a lot of shots. The ball ran through Fatts as is the plan but he only had 5 assists. So it’s chicken meet egg. Are assists not being made because guys are not moving or are guys not moving because they are not likely to get the ball passed to them anyway. Need less dribbling more passing. We had been passing well against PC, WKU and MTSU but against Brown we regressed.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago Fatts is not getting enough assists. After the Brown game, he will continue to get physically abused by opponents. Teammates are standing around because of Fatts. The offense needs to run through Jeff Dowtin who is a far better distributor than Fatts and Jeff makes his teammates better. Defense is all about attitude. What's happening on offense is effecting defensive attitude.
You will hear the best point guards say they get more joy out of making an assist than in scoring a basket. Assist first score second.
I believe Jeff is that way. That is what made the team so effective when he was PG his Freshman and Sophomore years. Plus he is an outstanding passer as he sees the floor well, anticipates and is a master with the no-look pass.
Fatts likes to score the ball. He is a good passer but prefers scoring. Lots of players are like this.
Brown game bottom line the ball did not move well. We did not take advantage if our height and talent advantage inside with Langevine, Harris, Walker and Toppin. The frustration showed. Brown guards outplayed our guards. Our big men shot high percentage but did not get the ball near enough.
I’m sure Cox and staff have studied thus Brown game and compared it to PC, WKU and MTSU. We will see tomorrow.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago Fatts is not getting enough assists. After the Brown game, he will continue to get physically abused by opponents. Teammates are standing around because of Fatts. The offense needs to run through Jeff Dowtin who is a far better distributor than Fatts and Jeff makes his teammates better. Defense is all about attitude. What's happening on offense is effecting defensive attitude.
You will hear the best point guards say they get more joy out of making an assist than in scoring a basket. Assist first score second.
I believe Jeff is that way. That is what made the team so effective when he was PG his Freshman and Sophomore years. Plus he is an outstanding passer as he sees the floor well, anticipates and is a master with the no-look pass.
Fatts likes to score the ball. He is a good passer but prefers scoring. Lots of players are like this.
Brown game bottom line the ball did not move well. We did not take advantage if our height and talent advantage inside with Langevine, Harris, Walker and Toppin. The frustration showed. Brown guards outplayed our guards. Our big men shot high percentage but did not get the ball near enough.
I’m sure Cox and staff have studied thus Brown game and compared it to PC, WKU and MTSU. We will see tomorrow.
I respectfully disagree. Fatts was clearly trying to get guys involve do in the brown game. Nice passes we’re going off guys hands, no one else was doing anything. In the second half, Fatts was frustrated and he got away from that in addition to the absurd way the game was being called.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Also lost to Fordham, Duquesne, Bucknell, Hawaii, Umass, St.Louis and George Mason to name a few. It is being consistent over a season that is needed to get to the tourney. I know you defend Cox to the end, but there is no way you can defend the last games performance. Defense has been the one thing we have done pretty well over the last 5 years. You think this team is going 14-4 over the last 18?
Please, STOP this, “I’ll defend Cox til the end stuff”. What does that have to do with the discussion we are having? We are having a team performance debate. No where in there was a Cox defense statement. All your response did was further validate, that saying “we aren’t tough enough”, makes no sense.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I, for one, cannot wait for tomorrow. My prediction is either we win and suddenly everyone will be all “I love this team”, “they came to play”, “Cox is the best” blah, blah, blah OR we lose and all this “I hate this team”, “our team stinks”, “player x is awful”, “cut bait” will be on the Richmond thread...and we can put this Brown thread to bed.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Team performance stunk to the rafters.

Coach performance wasn't much better.

Terrible offensive game plan, no adjustments [that worked anyway]. Team looked lifeless coach looked clueless in this one.

All in all a big fat F. I do like our coach though. I think he's done a good job overall.

But this was a BAD effort staff wise too.

Yeah since it's at home tomorrow we might play well and win. I sure hope so.

But it doesn't get any easier after that. Can we be consistently good? Hasn't happened yet.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......coach staff should run videos if the Mid Tenn game until the players eyes hurt.....then go in the gym and shoot, free throws too......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Please, STOP this, “I’ll defend Cox til the end stuff”. What does that have to do with the discussion we are having? We are having a team performance debate. No where in there was a Cox defense statement. All your response did was further validate, that saying “we aren’t tough enough”, makes no sense.
I can have my opinion just like you. I don’t believe they have shown the ability to win a road game against a team that they aren’t supposed to beat and it will make it very difficult to make the tournament if they don’t. You can’t just pencil in loses on the road to VCU, Dayton, George Mason, Davidson, etc and than expect that we are good enough to hold serve at home. I think they will beat Richmond because they win home games like this and don’t believe Richmond is that good. I guess tough enough means wining a game like Brown when they were out of sync. Find a way to win by 1. We don’t have the luxury of a Duke or Kentucky when they lose an awful game
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They should commit to getting the ball inside and limit the 3pt.shots.

In other words, play to their strengths.

And even more important, play with intensity and purpose on defense.

Since we can't shoot, we won't win without defense.

105, practicing shooting is fine, but they are who they are. Doubtful they will become much better at this point.

However FT shooting is different. That they need to do until their fingers bleed.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Many factors to Brown loss, and poor decision making was just one. You saw that on a couple steals and Brown challenged to the end practically every steal. In one instance, Fatts took the ball to the hoops when it clearly called for him to pass the ball off, he didn't and the Brown defender easily blocked the shot. Moments later on another Fatts steal, he drives to the hoop and the situation is good for him to go all the way given his position on the Brown defender, instead in surprise move, he passes the ball to a startled Ram player - turnover. Four points down the drain.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

All this talk about Fatts and his lack of passing, seems like a good time to remind everyone that he is 30th in the country in assists per game and 24th in the country in assist to turnover ratio. All while averaging 20 points a game which is 27th in the country. This team has a lot of issues. Fatts ain't one of them in my opinion.

If I told everyone we could have a point guard who is top 30 in the country in assists, assist to the turnover ratio, and points per game, I don't think many would turn that down.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Fatts just had 10 assists at MTSU.

He and Jeff both have been passing their faces off all year.

To me our loss to Brown doesnt really speak to any of our problems offensively. Because we have for the most part played pretty well offensively and were trending upward overall going into Brown. Overall the game is a fluke to me. We just went away from a lot of the things that made us good and Brown had the game of their season.

We have had issues against the three ball this year. Needs to be addressed ASAP.

We can achieve our goals, but how many of these duds to we have left?
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I agree with the sentiment of your generalizations, but I was referring to specific situations and when dealing with specifics you don't offer as a counter averages. In other words, who cares if the average depth of the river is 2 feet, if your relative drowns in the ten foot section.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Didn't see any of the Brown game but it sounds like our lack of guard depth will be our Achilles heal all year.. that's on the coach. Tyrese Martin cannot cover the 2 position man to man. It has been apparent all year. He is either too slow or not working hard at it.. may have to mix zone in when he's playing the 2.. maybe toppin steps up to cover the 2 on occasion, but adjustments need to be made to stop other teams from raining threes on us.. our offense seems to operate the best when we can run and get some easy baskets. Games we rely on the 3 ball we are in big trouble.. we can't shoot consistently from the outside period.. wish a knock down shooter would be on Cox's wish list.. even for 10-15 minutes a game to loosen it up..
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago I agree with the sentiment of your generalizations, but I was referring to specific situations and when dealing with specifics you don't offer as a counter averages. In other words, who cares if the average depth of the river is 2 feet, if your relative drowns in the ten foot section.
Ok, point taken, sometimes even good players make bad plays. There just seemed to be some posts (not just yours, which is why I didnt quote your earlier post directly in my response) pointing out that Fatts wasn't passing enough so I thought pointing out how well he has ranked among the rest of the country was relevant. I think even if Fatts had made better decisions on those 2 plays you mentioned we still would have lost.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago I agree with the sentiment of your generalizations, but I was referring to specific situations and when dealing with specifics you don't offer as a counter averages. In other words, who cares if the average depth of the river is 2 feet, if your relative drowns in the ten foot section.
Ok, point taken, sometimes even good players make bad plays. There just seemed to be some posts (not just yours, which is why I didnt quote your earlier post directly in my response) pointing out that Fatts wasn't passing enough so I thought pointing out how well he has ranked among the rest of the country was relevant. I think even if Fatts had made better decisions on those 2 plays you mentioned we still would have lost.
I agree with your last point and I said there were many other factors leading to the loss, poor decision making was not the only lapse. The lack of hustle which led to the Rams being out rebounded, poor FT shooting, etc. The Rams offered up a bad effort just when Brown was hitting all the right notes. Hunsacker is a .244 3 point shooter up to URI game, but in this game he was lights out.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Just an awful loss the other night. No way around it. But we are not done. Before that loss, we needed to finish top 3-4 in the league regular season and then make the A10 tourney final to have a shot at dancing, and that is still the situation we are in. Win the next two home games and we are back on track.

As far as what I would like to see on the court, the defense has to improve. As we know, it was terrible against Brown. I can't criticize Fatts too much because he has carried us in so many games, but he needs to shoot a little less. Dowtin should be more aggressive on offense and take it to the rim every now and then. CL has to be more involved on offense...I don't understand why we are not getting the ball to him more. CL and Harris should have dominated Brown down low. Martin disappears way too often...we need to run some plays for him and make sure he is involved.

Again, brutal loss vs Brown but the A10 is what really matters.

Go Rhody!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Brown is an anomaly. They always will be. They played like they could win the Ivy, but they won’t ever play that well again. When they beat PC in 2015, PC was a tournament team. Uri destroyed brown by 20 that season but URI missed the tournament. None of it makes sense, it’s just one of those things.
GO RAMS
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago They should commit to getting the ball inside and limit the 3pt.shots.

In other words, play to their strengths.

And even more important, play with intensity and purpose on defense.

Since we can't shoot, we won't win without defense.

105, practicing shooting is fine, but they are who they are. Doubtful they will become much better at this point.

However FT shooting is different. That they need to do until their fingers bleed.
Thing is they were mostly trying to play to their strengths - Martin and Dowtin midrange is a strength. Both guys struggled to hit those shots for whatever reason. I do not think running plays for Cyril down low is a strength. His offense comes from the others penetrating and dishing.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago I do not think running plays for Cyril down low is a strength. His offense comes from the others penetrating and dishing.
Yep. absolutely horrible take.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I think there was a little too much one on one where Brown moved the ball around and took advantage of our overcommitting.
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago I do not think running plays for Cyril down low is a strength. His offense comes from the others penetrating and dishing.
Yep. absolutely horrible take.
Yeah we should have owned Brown down low.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

As of today the Brown loss is Q3. Let’s hope it stays that way.
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Finish 23-10
Ramstock saying we would only win 10 conference games while also arguing on the Saint Louis forum saying that nobody thought we would only win 10 conference games...
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago

Finish 23-10
Ramstock saying we would only win 10 conference games while also arguing on the Saint Louis forum saying that nobody thought we would only win 10 conference games...
You said 10 games! That is different from conference games. By the way what does it matter if they don’t make the tournament?