‘20 TN PG - Norance Tres Berry (URI ---> Charleston Southern)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: ‘20 TN PG - Norance Tres Berry (URI) (surprise!)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago We don’t know what communication hes had. What’s your point?
The point is it doesn't matter if he redshirts or not. The Head Coach is going to communicate with his players as to where they stand - he doesn't need to let Red-shirting or Not Red-shirting speak for him.

There is no reason to redshirt a player when they all get an extra year anyway
In your opinion.

There are still thousands of RS players across the country for one reason or another.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago We don’t know what communication hes had. What’s your point?
The point is it doesn't matter if he redshirts or not. The Head Coach is going to communicate with his players as to where they stand - he doesn't need to let Red-shirting or Not Red-shirting speak for him.

In your opinion.

There are still thousands of RS players across the country for one reason or another.
thousands of Red-Shirt Players this season?
I had no idea.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

In your opinion.

OK, I'll make it easy on you. Out of those thousands, name 50.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

In your opinion.

I'd be surprised if 10 can be named being officially Red-Shirted this season.
Or name 3 URI Red-Shirted Basketball Players in the last 20 years

We aren't talking football.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I agree with those who are wondering why he is red shirting. With the extra year anyway, it doesn’t make sense to me.
Like others have said, Cox could still have him active and explain the situation (i. e., play only in blowouts and use this as a development year, which he is doing anyway).
A transfer and a couple of injuries and all of a sudden you may need him to play a little if you have foul trouble.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Looks like Tres is out of the rotation. If players are getting the extra year then I say no need for a redshirt
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

In your opinion.

I’ll do you one better, one of them isn’t named Tres.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I'm just glad this is our early leader for the Matthew Butler Memorial Thread, a.k.a. "Why isn't the team doing THIS about the 12th guy on the bench?!?" In the Projo Board days, it was about the impact Bam Harmon would make, before transitioning in more recent times to threads about Matthew Butler, Blake Vedder, and Michaels Tertsea and Layssard.
2 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Damn! Jermaine is ready to go. He blocked the sh@! out of that shot! Too bad there was a foul called somewhere. He's looking good so far. They could really use him.

Edit: I have no idea how this got under the Tres Berry thread. :roll:
5 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Is Berry with the team at Mohegan? I didn't see him in "his seat" nor did I see hm dancing with AB and the others...
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago Is Berry with the team at Mohegan? I didn't see him in "his seat" nor did I see hm dancing with AB and the others...
He’s there
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

:lol: They showed him numerous times. Guess he didn’t feel like dancing...
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago There are still thousands of RS players across the country for one reason or another.
I gotta call this one back out again, sorry.

I've seen some crazy things on this board. I've said some crazy things on this board. That might be the craziest of them all.

Why are you trying to slip the response? Either answer the questions or admit it was a wild statement ... Then we all move on :D
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago There are still thousands of RS players across the country for one reason or another.
I gotta call this one back out again, sorry.

I've seen some crazy things on this board. I've said some crazy things on this board. That might be the craziest of them all.

Why are you trying to slip the response? Either answer the questions or admit it was a wild statement ... Then we all move on :D
And I only asked for 50. I'll settle for 10 now.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Don't players not really red shirt until after a season is over? So if player A doesn't play all season (or less than 20% of games before X date or whatever the rule is), at what point does a school/player put in for the redshirt? Is it anytime, or do we have to know now?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago Don't players not really red shirt until after a season is over? So if player A doesn't play all season (or less than 20% of games before X date or whatever the rule is), at what point does a school/player put in for the redshirt? Is it anytime, or do we have to know now?
It is officially determined after the season, a team can pull an intended player's redshirt anytime during the season (as long as that player is eligible). That has happened several times when a team finds itself shorthanded because of injury or any other circumstances.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago Don't players not really red shirt until after a season is over? So if player A doesn't play all season (or less than 20% of games before X date or whatever the rule is), at what point does a school/player put in for the redshirt? Is it anytime, or do we have to know now?
Normal season guidelines:

The rule is that if you play a game, you an not eligible to redshirt. So anyone playing in basketball games right now, they are not redshirt candidates.

The percentage rule only comes into play with a medical hardship waiver -- player gets injured, if he hasn't played in 30% of team contests and did not appear in a game after the half-way point of the season, a team can apply for that hardship waiver, but that is the only time that rule applies.

So if a school intends for a player to redshirt, they announce that intention (at least to the player) before the season starts to set the expectations up-front. We often notice it when you see a blowout and your coach emptying the bench but Player X isn't playing while your walk-on is. It's often not too long after that the whispers come out that Player X is redshirting.

Now if a coach decides they don't want to redshirt the player anymore, they can reverse course at any time. The player is not locked into the redshirt, but the second he steps on the court, he now has lost his redshirt ability.

Now as was stated above, this year is a free redshirt year to all, so unless you are afraid that the player's minds are that fragile that they can't handle the truth, you tell them they are going to "redshirt" so they don't expect to play even 20 seconds.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Jersey & RJ, thanks for the clarifications. RJ, I forgot that what I was trying to mention was specifically a medical redshirt, not in general.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Let Tres play!!
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago Let Tres play!!
Hopefully tomorrow with a 20+ point lead late in the second half after AB torches the kitty cats!
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Can’t wait to see Tres play - re-watched the highlights and he looks like he could be really good here. I wasn’t sure about the redshirt year, but maybe that is a reaction to all the transfers and it is less likely he leaves after what would have been a developmental year anyways.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago Can’t wait to see Tres play - re-watched the highlights and he looks like he could be really good here. I wasn’t sure about the redshirt year, but maybe that is a reaction to all the transfers and it is less likely he leaves after what would have been a developmental year anyways.
I was thinking the same thing after watching more video of him. Hopefully he sticks it out here and becomes an impact player.
3 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

He should get plenty of time to prove he can play. Hopefully a return to some form of normalcy will help him realize how great of a place URI is to develop as a person not just a player.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I saw this and thought he was announcing his name into the portal. the offseason is worse than the season.
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

What does this mean?

0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I'm not sure where the best place to look is for this kind of stuff, but as of right now, Fatts is still our only "transfer" listed on 24/7 Sports, which seems to be updated daily. Players post stuff like this all the time that can be read in multiple ways - I believe the kids call it subtweeting - so I don't think it's 100 percent that he's gone from URI, or something like that. That being said, it isn't unusual for a players who log 0 minutes in a season to transfer, even if they're redshirting.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago What does this mean?

He posts lyrics a lot. I'm assuming it's from a song.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago What does this mean?

He posts lyrics a lot. I'm assuming it's from a song.
One of the "likes" on the post is from Thorr Bjorn, so, I'm leaning more toward your interpretation now, haha.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

He isn’t leaving.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago He isn’t leaving.
I'd say "great, awesome"...but, I'd be more excited if it was understandable why he couldn't get any run at all during last year's free season disaster?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
I'd say "great, awesome"...but, I'd be more excited if it was understandable why he couldn't get any run at all during last year's free season disaster?
I wouldn't make much out of that, may of been a mutual decision. If he only got very spot/limited time it could of hurt his confidence and moral.
The staff probably likes his potential, but decided it was best to bring him along slowly. Same with Ileri.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

“may of been”. Lol. What school you go 😉
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
I wouldn't make much out of that, may of been a mutual decision. If he only got very spot/limited time it could of hurt his confidence and moral.
The staff probably likes his potential, but decided it was best to bring him along slowly. Same with Ileri.
Agree with 208:
- Russell had several injuries during the season and did not perform as expected due to the injuries.
- Carey started first two games then saw minutes diminish as turnovers were a big problem. Turnovers were reported his biggest problem at Syracuse as well.
- Johnson struggled with defense and consistency and moved on to Kent State
- Martin played solid defense but struggled with consistency offensively
- Betrand struggled with consistency on offense and defense

It was a free year for all players so nothing to lose by playing Berry, yet the staff chose not to play him at all. With a 10 place A10 finish in a disappointing season with several guards injured and/or not performing to preseason expectations it’s noteworthy that Berry never saw a minute of the court.

Maybe moves to a lateral or lower level team?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Agree with 208:
- Russell had several injuries during the season and did not perform as expected due to the injuries.
- Carey started first two games then saw minutes diminish as turnovers were a big problem. Turnovers were reported his biggest problem at Syracuse as well.

It was a free year for all players so nothing to lose by playing Berry, yet the staff chose not to play him at all. With a 10 place A10 finish in a disappointing season with several guards injured and/or not performing to preseason expectations it’s noteworthy that Berry never saw a minute of the court.

I am hopeful that he will be a contributor this season and an impact player down the road. I think the potential is there, but that is my optimistic side. I would love for him to have a nice career here.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I hope this shuts this unfounded theory up about Tres. He’s fine, been fine, and will be fine.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago

I hope this shuts this unfounded theory up about Tres. He’s fine, been fine, and will be fine.
Question was about the comment reuniting soon that Tres put out there.

Looks to mean reuniting in the same state, not at the same school (or former mental hospital for RIRed’s benefit.
3195CF5E-4C0F-4F02-9D52-8B9CF1F6DDDD.png
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Agree with 208:

Or maybe in a world where there are massive transfer issues the staff didn’t want to bury him behind Fatts and Jeremy so he got frustrated and left the program. No shame in being not as good as Fatts, Jeremy, Malik and Betrand as a Freshmen.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

PC fans are confident they've landed Berry 2.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago PC fans are confident they've landed Berry 2.
They did land him
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

They did land him
Been two weeks.
PC fans not so confident of late
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

They did land him
Been two weeks.
Maybe he pulls a Sly and ends up with his brother :lol:
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

They did land him
Been two weeks.
Remember what Tres did with us? Maybe Quante has something up his sleeve as well with someone other than the Pee Cee Ducks.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Pee Cee Ducks or Dicks?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago

They did land him
Been two weeks.
Remember what Tres did with us? Maybe Quante has something up his sleeve as well with someone other than the Pee Cee Ducks.
Love the Pee Cee Ducks!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That's an interesting list of schools. Reminds of Sesame St.

"One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just isn't the same..."
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

As a reminder, we do have a Quant'e Barry thread, which is here.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Hmmmm....

0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Hmmmm....

Okay, what does this even mean?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Hmmmm....

Okay, what does this even mean?

0 x