‘20 TN PG - Norance Tres Berry (URI ---> Charleston Southern)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: ‘20 TN PG - Norance Tres Berry (URI) (surprise!)

Unread post by steviep123 »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
So by official, do they mean that NLIs were signed (do transfers sign NLIs)?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
So by official, do they mean that NLIs were signed (do transfers sign NLIs)?
For the transfers, we received their transcripts.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It's so weird that I now hope none of the freshman turn out to be really good.
Last edited by RIFan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

RIFan wrote: 4 years ago It so weird that I now hope none of the freshman turn out to be really good.
Doesn’t matter. i.e. Mekhi Long i.e. Gregory Hammond i.e. Jacob Toppin
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I know, i was being factious. They leave if they are good, they leave if they think they are good and don't get enough playing time, they leave if they are homesick...
3 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

See the freshman players, the same way you see a potential head coach hire.

Namely, you want them to be as successful as humanly possible. That is the only way to help the program as a whole.

But at the same time, remember, if they are wildly successful, and we want that, they could end up leaving if offered for a sweetheart deal.

Same as the coach.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago See the freshman players, the same way you see a potential head coach hire.

Namely, you want them to be as successful as humanly possible. That is the only way to help the program as a whole.

But at the same time, remember, if they are wildly successful, and we want that, they could end up leaving if offered for a sweetheart deal.

Same as the coach.
20C34480-D811-4CB3-B029-E8CD4F9A2699.gif
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

It will be interesting to see which of the freshman guards earns playing time. It seems pretty evident that Cox will play the best defenders more often than not. Maybe we can get this recruit thread pinned?
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Great news!
1 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

I wonder what number he will rock considering #3 is retired. I was thinking maybe 33? Interesting that he is wearing a #5 in that picture though.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Walker has 5 currently.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Let’s pin this man!
5 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

bump until he is pinned...
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago bump until he is pinned...
I thinnkkkk I got it.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

The departure of Wood makes the Berry signing look super important. I like this kid.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

How many minutes/ game are we expecting out of him this season?
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

If the transfers aren't eligible? If Fatts doesn't return? Sky's the limit. 30-35 mins probably.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

All I know is that if you can play D, you will get minutes from Cox. Defense is Berry's calling card.
He will play plenty no matter what.
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

With Fatts and NO transfers - 20mpg
With Fatts and YES transfers - 12mpg

Without Fatts and NO transfers - 30mpg
Without Fatts and YES transfers - 15mpg

How's that for a guess? Also shows the wild disparity that this team could have depending on 2 pivotal decisions.
1 x
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago With Fatts and NO transfers - 20mpg
With Fatts and YES transfers - 12mpg

Without Fatts and NO transfers - 30mpg
Without Fatts and YES transfers - 15mpg

How's that for a guess? Also shows the wild disparity that this team could have depending on 2 pivotal decisions.

Love it, exactly what I was looking for
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Man I couldnt love Ishamel Leggett and Tres Berry anymore. Seem like really high character guys who truely have a lot of talent. Both really seem like they really want to be at rhody.

The little tid bit about fighting for his sister and trying to get better every day for her due to her lupus condition just exemplifies it.

Cant wait to watch these guys play.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree great listen there
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Did Cox say in an interview recently that Tres may redshirt?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

FDshoes wrote: 3 years ago Did Cox say in an interview recently that Tres may redshirt?
Yes he did but it seemed almost an offhand comment.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 3 years ago Did Cox say in an interview recently that Tres may redshirt?
Yes he did but it seemed almost an offhand comment.
Yes, he said that he may be a redshirt candidate but is weighing their options.
0 x
Common sense is not common.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Why red shirt if everyone’s getting a free pass this year anyway?
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

KevanBoyles wrote: 3 years ago Why red shirt if everyone’s getting a free pass this year anyway?
Playing time, only so many minutes to go around.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Then why make the decision at all? What’s the point? I don’t understand.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

These kids are good players who have likely been the best player on their team their whole life until now. Not playing is an adjustment. Easier to redshirt, make it clear you’re developing them, then have them constantly in a frustrating situation where they think they’re doing everything right and still not seeing the floor

This isn’t specific to Tres. Just broadly
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

But to the point made, why not just leave things as they are? Berry can simply sit out the season, just as a RedShirt designation would indicate. Why not just do nothing?
Everyone on the team gets a free year anyway.
Sounds like Cox and his Coaching staff simply have a conversation with Berry as to where he stands with playing time and that's that.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

I get what you’re saying, but I really think it’s a mental thing. Berry shows up everyday and thinks he’s better than these guys in practice and still isn’t getting minutes? That’s frustrating.

If you’re red shirted there’s ZERO expectation of playing time. I think it’s why make something any more difficult than it needs to be
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

If you get the designation of RedShirt, does that mean you are out for the season? Is it possible to "un-Redshirt" at any time during the year?
So if 4 guys decide to transfer at the end of OOC play, would Berry be able to "un-RedShirt?"
Seems the simplest thing in this Covid 2020 Year with all players getting the free extra year would be to do nothing. Just have Cox converse with Berry as to his status which is what he should be doing anyway, RedShirt or no RedShirt.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

If we have 4 kids transfer a month from now we have bigger problems than is Tres Berry redshirting
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sure we do, but the example is to just try to understand what the advantages of Red-Shirting Berry are. I cannot think of a single advantage - only disadvantages.
Also wonder what Berry wants. I can't imagine he would want to be Red-Shirted.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Sure we do, but the example is to just try to understand what the advantages of Red-Shirting Berry are. I cannot think of a single advantage - only disadvantages.
As others have said - For him, it means he doesn't have to worry about whether he's going to get into a game, or if he needs to prepare for Player X on Dayton. He can focus solely on developing his game. Maybe it means he's taking 500 shots after practice, the night before a game, instead of going to bed early because he might play. Also, while it currently looks like the NCAA is going to keep going in the direction of increased player movement and granting waivers, we can't be sure that it'll stay that way 3 to 4 years from now.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Sure we do, but the example is to just try to understand what the advantages of Red-Shirting Berry are. I cannot think of a single advantage - only disadvantages.
The sooner you stop underestimating the egos of D1 athletes the easier it will be to understand. I totally see what you’re saying. This is the easiest way to handle things, otherwise they wouldn’t do it this way
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

When players come in, they see the level of talent surrounding them.
The players themselves know where they stand. Sure it helps if the Head Coach tells them, but trust me they know.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I thought I saw Tres dressed last night while Betrand wasn't.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Berry wouldn’t see the floor. It’s hard to play more than 10 bodies. Bertrand was prepared to sit out and was okay with the decision. Do not need that many mouths to feed. Next season, this will be Bertrand’s team.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

There is no reason for any player to redshirt, just like there is no reason for any player to not fight for eligibility as a transfer.

The second the NCAA said it's a free year, there is no reason to force a kid to sit. Why waste a year of a transfer or a few minutes here or there of game experience for a "redshirt candidate?"

You can still set the same expectations up-front -- "Look kid, the original plan was for you to sit, but given the current environment you will still dress and you may get a few minutes here or there if time allows, but let's focus on getting better."

Same thing for a transfer -- If you have a kid that may be able to contribute a few minutes here or there, why are you going to burn a free year of eligibility if you could get an approved waiver?

Heck, if anything, it's extra depth on the bench in the event of an emergency. It's like being a redshirt or sitting transfer with the chance to get a few minutes here or there as needed. And if you have 2-3 players get injured, maybe one of them can step in and play a bigger role for you and it won't cost you a thing.

That my friends is a win, win, win!!
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago There is no reason for any player to redshirt, just like there is no reason for any player to not fight for eligibility as a transfer.

The second the NCAA said it's a free year, there is no reason to force a kid to sit. Why waste a year of a transfer or a few minutes here or there of game experience for a "redshirt candidate?"

You can still set the same expectations up-front -- "Look kid, the original plan was for you to sit, but given the current environment you will still dress and you may get a few minutes here or there if time allows, but let's focus on getting better."

Same thing for a transfer -- If you have a kid that may be able to contribute a few minutes here or there, why are you going to burn a free year of eligibility if you could get an approved waiver?

Heck, if anything, it's extra depth on the bench in the event of an emergency. It's like being a redshirt or sitting transfer with the chance to get a few minutes here or there as needed. And if you have 2-3 players get injured, maybe one of them can step in and play a bigger role for you and it won't cost you a thing.

That my friends is a win, win, win!!
All your points here and all the same points that have been made are obviously true and straightforward.

I’ve said it multiple times here and I’ll say it again one more time. You’re a redshirt so you CANT play is easier to swallow and communicate than you’re “developing” and you WONT play. You guys really think D1 coaches haven’t thought this through before? There’s clearly a reason why it’s done from a player management standpoint
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Except that's only at best partially true -- There are many teams around the country, specifically with transfers, that fought to get them eligible only after hearing about the rule changes for this season. Your former player Jacob Toppin is one example. PC's Ed Croswell is another example (although Croswell was originally a personal choice over a team choice). Both were to sit and "develop," but both programs submitted waivers only after hearing that they could keep the free year and play as needed. So clearly at least among some coaching circles there was a change in strategy based on the rules for this season.

And to be frank, aren't the two statements "You're a redshirt and you can't play" and "You're developing and you won't play" just different ways of saying the same thing? If a kid had the ability, he's in the rotation (or you are fighting the NCAA to get him into your rotation), playing every night. When you approach a kid to redshirt, or you tell a transfer you aren't going to apply for immediate eligiblity, you are already telling them you don't want to waste the year of eligibility because you don't see them making an impact that season. The players aren't stupid, they know what it means, just like we do.

Just as a coach is setting expectations with a player by redshirting them, it's on the coach to also set expectations on playing time that this is essentially a redshirt season unless the situation allows for minutes to be played. And frankly, if you are playing a team and getting pasted by 25 points early in the second half, I'd rather throw that unproven player out there for a few minutes to see what he has, but that's just me ...
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He hasn’t been redshirt, so the points are moot.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago He hasn’t been redshirt, so the points are moot.
He still can be.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

.... until then.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago .... until then.
So from KingstonLane's viewpoint, Cox is in error in his handing of Berry's Redshirt.

The Coaches communicate to the players their status on the team frequently. At least the good Coaches do.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

We don’t know what communication hes had. What’s your point?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago We don’t know what communication hes had. What’s your point?
The point is it doesn't matter if he redshirts or not. The Head Coach is going to communicate with his players as to where they stand - he doesn't need to let Red-shirting or Not Red-shirting speak for him.

There is no reason to redshirt a player when they all get an extra year anyway
0 x