‘20 TN PG - Norance Tres Berry (URI ---> Charleston Southern)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Re: ‘20 TN PG - Norance Tres Berry (Toledo)

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago This is so weird. Earlier I mentioned it would be funny if Berry committed here after Ousman decommitted, but I didn't actually expect it to happen.

DC and '83, don't worry about "misinformation" - I think nowadays even those that are close to recruits and think they know they deal, really don't. I'm happy to have him. Obviously Murray would have been great, but I'm thinking we either must not have had a chance and/or the staff thinks Berry is a better fit.

The no longer had a scholarship offer from RI came directly from Berry last week.
Recruiting rollercoaster.

I believe Cox uses leverage to close deals. His 20 years of experience tell him that URI’s odds of getting a commitment by waiting around for a recruit to commit on his “announcement day” aren’t great especially when that recruit has real interest from a P5. Murray is going to wait until April 25th and if he gets a commitment request from Georgia he is going to take it. Cox didn’t want to be in that position on April 25th.
Pushes Murray to make a decision yesterday and gets a no. Closes on Berry.

My guess is this is the last Fr for this class. Abou backing out opened the 4th spot for this class. Cox needs to find a big man that is immediately eligible (JUCO or Grad Transfer). The other option is to wait until the Transfer Rule vote in May to know if Mitchells are immediately eligible. Then fill the last scholarship spot.
Agree with all of this. Could use another big and set their sights on point guard for the 2021 recruiting class with Fatts and Sheppard leaving.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Re: ‘20 TN PG - Norance Tres Berry (URI) (surprise!)

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

This is next level 3D chess recruiting.

I'm guessing he eats the 13th scholarship for now until he sees how the NCAA transfer situation and Fatts situations play out.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
giovanni wrote: 4 years ago " Obviously Murray would have been great, but I'm thinking we either must not have had a chance and/or the staff thinks Berry is a better fit."

Or possibly if offer was rescinded then offered again for whatever reason, Tres decided to jump on this time because he really liked URI and saw the Murray was a target and wasn't going to take a chance of getting cut out or more crazier stuff happening.

Either way great get like the film I have seen happy to have him. Welcome aboard Tres!!
It came down to thinking Murray would go to Georgetown and now we don’t get either. Tres Berry has enough upside where we can’t afford to miss on both. I think this kid really liked URI a lot and was very disappointed when he didn’t come her last week
Bingo, Cox learned very valuables lessons from the Bishop, McCleod and Walker recruitments.

Learning curve is STEEP. Stay the course.

I’m happy with Tres. He really wanted to be here.
6 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

sf2010 wrote: 4 years ago Image
HAHAHA!!! This about says it for me.
4 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago The Art of the Deal -- by David Cox
Please don’t confuse the two.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Plot twist!!!
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago The Art of the Deal -- by David Cox
Please don’t confuse the two.
The Art of the Steal?
5 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Not sure exactly what transpired. But the majority of people here wanted Tres. Then the many things began to happen. Abou commits, Twins then commit, Malik commits. Apparently with all movement offer is now not there for him. He is seemingly very disappointed and possibly bitter. Many people here are disappointed. Abou decommits. Its reported Tres will take his talent to Toledo. Last night he pops up a message that he will be making a decision today with Rhody listed. We think there is little chance if any he will commit to URI. Then we get the surprisingly good news.

Whatever transpired, I am very happy for Tres. By all accounts he really wanted to be a Ram. And through all of the twists and turns of his recruitment it must have been somewhat of an emotional roller coaster for him that ends up working out well for all parties involved.
7 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Holy Toledo!
8 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Did we really pull an offer from him earlier only to offer again? So much has happened over the past couple of weeks I may have missed that part. From Berry's twitter, there was only him deleting his post from a few weeks ago in a Rhody uniform asking how it looked as well as a cryptic tweet later talking about people lying to him (which literally could refer to anything and not Rhody). Then there was his response to Ousmane's commitment tweet with Ousmane responding with something like, "your turn" but I don't remember reading that we officially rescinded the offer. Maybe that was part of the Malik Martin signing? If so, other than no real shot at Murray (if that's the case - we're in his top 5 as of 2 days ago), what changed?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Maybe Cox just let him cool off a bit and then re offered due to the fact that Tres was obviously very upset over losing his top choice and Cox regaining a scholarship back due to Ousmane de committing.

Perhaps it gave Berry some time to think, they are graduating two backcourt players over the next year, that's not a long time to wait to try and gain a starting job. It's not as bad as I thought, etc, etc
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago This is next level 3D chess recruiting.
The young kids call it 4D chess.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Verbal commits now has updated Berry to URI

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/04/10/rho ... tres-berry

58D7E4A2-89CF-4FEF-955C-62CCDBF34F17.png
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

So how many are in this class? I have Berry, Leggett, and Wood. Anyone else?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow this is a shocker and great news

Ish and Tres backcourt of the future baby
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago So how many are in this class? I have Berry, Leggett, and Wood. Anyone else?
That is correct.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
giovanni
Carlton Owens

1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Given the current recruiting environment, I won't fully believe it and rest easy until I see him suited up and on the court for a game.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Given the current recruiting environment, I won't fully believe it and rest easy until I see him suited up and on the court for a game.
In the current environment we are in, that could be said of most recruits on most teams.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NLI day is in 5 days. Looking forward to a signature.
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

When does Abou re-committ?
4 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Wow this is a shocker and great news

Ish and Tres backcourt of the future baby
I hope Wood doesn't come on this board because we talk like he's not on the team. Ish Tres and Wood are the backcourt of the future baby!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steviep123
Sly Williams

Agreed. I can't wait for the Leggett/Wood/Berry trio over the next several years!
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Agreed. I can't wait for the Leggett/Wood/Berry trio over the next several years!
The Big L-W-B!
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Glad to see he's still onboard! Excited to see him play with Wood, Legget, & rest of the team! Rhody is looking really dangerous now! They are one big man away from being stacked and super threatening to opponents on paper.
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

ery excited to hear Berry is coming now . With Wood and Legget and Berry it sounds like we got some great freshmen . Somehow I think Wood
might be a real sleeper the way Jeff was kind of an underrated sleeper . Wood may have slipped in the ratings , but we have to remember how such
ratings are not that reliable or predictive of success in D 1 Basketball. The coaching staff obviously was eager to get him and got him early. Leggett
and Berry have been recruited by big time programs . Looking forward to rooting for all three . Hope they all get their chances in 20-21 to reduce
the load on Fatts and Shepard . wish we could have had one of them this past season to save some of the wear and tear on Jeff and Fatts.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Looks like uri doubled down on the Berry's today haha. Offering his brother I'm sure shortly after closing on tres. His brother has alot of power 5 offers.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

What a surprise is right!

Great addition.

Recruiting has never been so fluid as it is right now.

Get these 4 guys signed next week!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I like his brother more than other early recruits solely based on the fact he didn’t call us “Rhode Island University.”
5 x
Go Rhody
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
I would take any guy they compare to John Starks. Guys with heart can carry programs. Looking forward to watching this kid play.
3 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
giovanni
Carlton Owens

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago
giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
I would take any guy they compare to John Starks. Guys with heart can carry programs. Looking forward to watching this kid play.
Wow maybe dating myself a little but loved John Starks game and attitude as well
3 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

So glad we got Berry. I was seriously disapointed when it seemed to fall through.
With his wingspan, This kid will be a defensive stopper. With him, Fatts and Martin out pressuring the perimeter
we could have serious 3 pt defense.

Does anybody know what Berry's 3 pt % was his senior year ? Can't seem to find his stats anywhere on
line.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Tres says being at the RC for the VCU game showed him what Rhody basketball and our fans are all about. Look forward to many more nights just like it!
4 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Does Morey look like an older version of when Toby McGuire played Peter Parker?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Welcome to the Show TRES!!!!!!!!!
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I love this news!!

Welcome Tres Berry!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Give our guy a sticky!
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Every time I think about this recruitment I wonder, how does a kid with a basketball body like his end up as like the 470th recruit? I would be surprised if he doesn't perform like a top tier recruit.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Every time I think about this recruitment I wonder, how does a kid with a basketball body like his end up as like the 470th recruit? I would be surprised if he doesn't perform like a top tier recruit.
For someone like Finklestein to give him such high praise means a lot to me. He's been around a while, so he should know what he's talking about. Tres sounds like a high major guy for sure. I think he just blossomed a little too late for the big Boyz. Good for us!
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Every time I think about this recruitment I wonder, how does a kid with a basketball body like his end up as like the 470th recruit? I would be surprised if he doesn't perform like a top tier recruit.
For someone like Finklestein to give him such high praise means a lot to me. He's been around a while, so he should know what he's talking about. Tres sounds like a high major guy for sure. I think he just blossomed a little too late for the big Boyz. Good for us!
I'm not enough of a hoops-head to be familiar with his work. But if he's an expert, I'm even happier Tres will be a Ram.
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
I'm not enough of a hoops-head to be familiar with his work. But if he's an expert, I'm even happier Tres will be a Ram.
I’ve never seen Finkelstein give anything but high praise, he’s the Rothstein of recruiting. But he’s right about Tres!
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I agree that Finkelstein is a promoter more than a evaluator.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Eh, just think of how many high school and prep basketball teams are out there - The area is so wide, no one person can conceivably look at each prospect in person. And the other side of the equation, you have a bunch of kids, ranging from 15 to 19 years old, that can change in athletic ability, positively and negatively, from month to month. There are just so many variables in scouting and recruiting that it's never going to be especially precise.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We could be fortunate that Berry didn't have a high rating.

More P5's might have come calling if they saw him rated as a 4 star or whatever.

I'm going to assume he's a late bloomer and is way better than 470th. He sure seems like it.

The proverbial diamond in the rough.
2 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

4Diffs wrote: 4 years ago https://www.yurview.com/uri-rams/rams-s ... ith-berry/

From YurView and Adam Finkelstein
Holy shit - his hands look photoshopped in that top picture in the article. Looks like Kawhi hands.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

This could end up being the best signing of this year. I like what i see on tape of this kid alot.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

sf2010 wrote: 4 years ago
4Diffs wrote: 4 years ago https://www.yurview.com/uri-rams/rams-s ... ith-berry/

From YurView and Adam Finkelstein
Holy shit - his hands look photoshopped in that top picture in the article. Looks like Kawhi hands.
I’m still trying to wrap my head around 6’10 wingspan. I remember when the Celtics drafted Marcus Smart and people were gushing about his 6’9 wingspan at the same height. Also, I remember Rondo had these similarly huge hands and long arms for his size.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

This player is going to be a really nice addition.
If he can consistently hit the 3, his defensive abilities will get him minutes day one.
1 x