Roster Management

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Roster Management

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Another blow to Cox’s roster management. You have to give him a low grade in this important area.
With the news from today - Tate suspended indefinitely, Sheppard not eligible this year, redshirting DJ and now Hammond transferring they are down to 8 scholarship players available to play. No guards on the bench. 5 spots not available when you count the open scholarship.

1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Re: Roster Management

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Well the great feeling or high of beating PC and having a decent start to the season has quickly come back to earth with all this less then stellar news at once. Feels like a punch in the gut. With all the news at once. Boy even the players and team got restless just like us fans over this long extended break lol 🤣. Saturday where you at?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Tate needs to be back by the start of conference play.

DJ might have to play.

Fatts and Jeff have to stay healthy, and play a ton of minutes.

Might even impact our style of play...need to keep guys on the floor at all costs.

Can our football receivers walk on lol?
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Looks like Dadika 1st guard off the bench? Sheesh. This is pretty poor.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

No way. Martin moves to the 2 more often.

Big problems.

I mean, Hammond wasn't playing anyway, but he was needed as another serviceable body in case of break glass in emergency.
Last edited by rambone 78 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

A weak area/ Tate did what he did. Cox suspended him. RIGHT MOVE Sheppard did not pass the grades. Cox kept him, figure his grades/life out. Be huge next year. DJ not ready yet, redshirt him. right move. Hammond can't get on the court this year. Woods, Legget ahead of him next year. Right move on his part and coaches. This year will be a redshirt that is not hurting the kid. Doing right by your players is always the bottom line. It helps you get the next player.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Hoping they now use one of the two open scholarships to bring in a transfer or early enroll a Fr that can reclass from ‘20.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Agree, but all these things at once? Bad luck maybe but it's a bad look on the surface at least.

Cox will have to really get moving on the recruiting trail and soon.

The Help Wanted sign is on the door.

83, get Leggett in here if possible? But that costs him a full year....doubt it.

A transfer is much more likely I would think.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Kingston wrote: 4 years ago A weak area/ Tate did what he did. Cox suspended him. RIGHT MOVE Sheppard did not pass the grades. Cox kept him, figure his grades/life out. Be huge next year. DJ not ready yet, redshirt him. right move. Hammond can't get on the court this year. Woods, Legget ahead of him next year. Right move on his part and coaches. This year will be a redshirt that is not hurting the kid. Doing right by your players is always the bottom line. It helps you get the next player.
Keeping players helps you get the next player too. There is no way to paint this other than recruiting mistakes were made.
How many players have left the URI team in the last 12 months?

Bringing in Sheppard when they knew he was a high risk to qualify and desperately in need of a backup Guard = mistake.
Bringing in a 2nd year JUCO who wasn’t ready to play = mistake
Leaving a scholarship open when you have the risk of being short players (including Walker for 1st semester) = mistake.

Of the 4 players they brought in during the Spring only ONE is playing.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Wood and Legett better be world beaters, cause this is not a good situation.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Gambling on these things and then losing those gambles make Cox seem like he's really scrambling on the recruiting trail to fill spots.

Of course the assistant coach situation at the time didn't help.

Now that the problem has passed, hopefully more of a sense of normalcy prevails going forward.

But in the meantime Houston we have a problem.

At least now we have something to talk about between now and Saturday lol.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This news didn’t all come at once, someone just put it all in 1 thread message. The only new news, since we already knew Tate was suspended, was the Hammond departure. No way to know how much that hurts/will hurt bc I haven’t seen enough of him. I will say after seeing Layssard and Christian T I am skeptical about Louisiana high school talent.

Who knows maybe this opens up another spot to bring in the next star? While I agree the amount of departures is noteworthy, sometimes shit just happens. It’s kids and it’s emotional and high stakes. Dayton had massive roster turnover in Grant’s first two seasons and look at where they are now. Long term it isn’t necessarily a bad thing as long as that talent that comes in is better than what left. I do like what we are already seeing from Long and Toppin, and believe we will be happy with what walker brings. All talent Cox identified and attracted to the program. Short term it makes us 8 deep with 2 of those freshmen most didn’t envision being big parts of the core this year. I will still argue that 1 thru 5 we are as good as anyone in the league besides Dayton, we just have zero margin of error.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Its official sheppard wont qualify?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Gambling on these things and then losing those gambles make Cox seem like he's really scrambling on the recruiting trail to fill spots.

Now that the problem has passed, hopefully more of a sense of normalcy prevails going forward.

I agree. Stabilize the situation and move forward. It is understandable to lose some players in the transition year. You can put Akele and Layssard in that bucket. You can add Tertsea to that bucket if you want.

But since last December the following players have left - Aris (mistake), Mading (mistake), Tertsea, Silverio, Thompson & Hammond. On top of that you have issues with two JUCO recruits not playing (Sheppard & DJ) and one of your returnees suspended.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago This news didn’t all come at once, someone just put it all in 1 thread message. The only new news, since we already knew Tate was suspended, was the Hammond departure. No way to know how much that hurts/will hurt bc I haven’t seen enough of him. I will say after seeing Layssard and Christian T I am skeptical about Louisiana high school talent.

Who knows maybe this opens up another spot to bring in the next star? While I agree the amount of departures is noteworthy, sometimes shit just happens. It’s kids and it’s emotional and high stakes. Dayton had massive roster turnover in Grant’s first two seasons and look at where they are now. Long term it isn’t necessarily a bad thing as long as that talent that comes in is better than what left. I do like what we are already seeing from Long and Toppin, and believe we will be happy with what walker brings. All talent Cox identified and attracted to the program. Short term it makes us 8 deep with 2 of those freshmen most didn’t envision being big parts of the core this year. I will still argue that 1 thru 5 we are as good as anyone in the league besides Dayton, we just have zero margin of error.
Fair enough. I do agree with this. It is more about what cox needs to do next to fix this issue then what has happened already. Filling these two open spots with good players is critical. Hopefully the extended playing time for long and toppin develop them sooner then initially anticipated too.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t get the hand wringing. Of all the guys that have left the program, only Akele has really cost anything at all to the product on the floor, and that was a minimal impact on a team that wasn’t going anywhere anyways last year. At least last year’s team had minutes for him. All of the guys that have left the program combined cost you zero meaningful minutes this season. I guess we can worry about next season next season, but if Hammond felt that he wasn’t going to ever see the floor because of Wood and Leggett and he wants to pursue a chance to play, I wish him the best. He was a long way from home.
9 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Gambling on these things and then losing those gambles make Cox seem like he's really scrambling on the recruiting trail to fill spots.

I agree. Stabilize the situation and move forward. It is understandable to lose some players in the transition year. You can put Akele and Layssard in that bucket. You can add Tertsea to that bucket if you want.

But since last December the following players have left - Aris (mistake), Mading (mistake), Tertsea, Silverio, Thompson & Hammond. On top of that you have issues with two JUCO recruits not playing (Sheppard & DJ) and one of your returnees suspended.
But yet still in position after a tough as ever ooc schedule and potentially a good a10 record from making the NCAA tourney. Mading traded for toppin. Idk if it is a mistake. And all those players can be replacabale and not cornerstone pieces.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think Cox REALLY needs to somehow find a guard transfer for the 2nd semester.

No margin for error is putting it mildly.

Hammond should have at least stuck it out for another semester. What good does having an extra half year of eligibility do?

With the normal wear and tear of the season, you would think he would have played a little anyway.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I think Cox REALLY needs to somehow find a guard transfer for the 2nd semester.

Hammond should have at least stuck it out for another semester. What good does having an extra half year of eligibility do?

With the normal wear and tear of the season, you would think he would have played a little anyway.
Even if he finds a five star guard it’s not going to help since he can’t play this year.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I think Cox REALLY needs to somehow find a guard transfer for the 2nd semester.

Even if he finds a five star guard it’s not going to help since he can’t play this year.
I don’t believe finding a player with immediate eligibility is realistic. However, URI has an open scholarship (they started the year with 12 scholarship players and there are 13 scholarships available). So technically an eligible player could play the second semester. Not going to happen though.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago

I don’t believe finding a player with immediate eligibility is realistic. However, URI has an open scholarship (they started the year with 12 scholarship players and there are 13 scholarships available). So technically an eligible player could play the second semester. Not going to happen though.
So 83 in reality if Cox can miraculously find a grad transfer in the next week or two he could play?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We have to be the only team in America where both backup guards are walk ons.

That is piss poor roster construction.

If Jeff and Fatts ran out of steam at the end of this year, how do we expect them to stay fresh this year with literally no legitimate backup?

Fatts is at risk of injury every game because of his stature / how hard he plays.

No good.
2 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Anybody else want to leave after a half year?

I don't mean from us......from someone else TO us.

I really doubt a grad transfer would leave after one semester, would have to be a 1st or 2nd year player.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Should have titled this Roster Mismanagement
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Hopefully the seniors are giving these guys a pep talk.
1 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If Fatts and Cyril left during the transition and Martin left after last year and then Toppin just entered the portal, I’d be very concerned. As it is, I’m zero concerned. We haven’t lost anything that has impacted us. Maybe if Hammond stuck around he’d be a solid A10 guard as a junior, and there is value to that. There is also plenty of opportunity to replace that between now and then. This is modern college basketball. The back of the roster churns.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So what if Tate transfers as well? Seems that situation isn't rock solid at this point.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

That would be worrisome to me. I like Tate as a player and especially as a kid. I hope he doesn’t transfer. But sometimes shit happens.
2 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Brief piece on Greg Hammond transfer and bringing recent departures up to date.

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... o-transfer
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Looks to me like Tate knew he screwed up, and is trying to fix his issues.

As for sticking around, that could depend on how much PT he gets...if Walker, Toppin, and Long are taking big minutes away from him, well who knows?

Some guys don't take too well to doing mop up duty.

Or not playing, like Hammond and others.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Not too many teams nowadays play 10 or more players regularly.

More like 7-8, who get 90-95% of the minutes.

The rest get the scraps.

Not easy at URI to get 10 guys good enough to all play a reasonable amount.

You want quality depth, but it's hard to find.

The backups end up leaving.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Hey everyone. Quit whining. I like Hammond a lot, but the reality is that he wasn’t going to play much this year and we have a crop of good guards coming in next year. This stuff happens. Stop making it out like it’s the end of the world. Unless they get hurt, Fatts and JD will Eat up 90% of the minutes at 1/2. Next year we have some good young talent to back up Fatts and Sheppard. Who says Tate is transferring??? WTF. Relax... we have a good team. Short bench but they’ll be fine.
5 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago If Fatts and Cyril left during the transition and Martin left after last year and then Toppin just entered the portal, I’d be very concerned. As it is, I’m zero concerned. We haven’t lost anything that has impacted us. Maybe if Hammond stuck around he’d be a solid A10 guard as a junior, and there is value to that. There is also plenty of opportunity to replace that between now and then. This is modern college basketball. The back of the roster churns.
I think that’s only half of what the original post is talking about, though. I agree that none of the players who have left (Aris, Mading, Silverio, Hammond off the top of my head) are likely to be impact players. Maybe those spots could have been better used, but I also think that can be chalked up to “basketball stuff.”

The other side of that is the wasted space on the roster. Walker was a solid pick-up, even with having to sit out. They left a spot open when they knew Sheppard’s situation was precarious, and Johnson looks to be taking up three years of a scholarship for maybe two years playing. Those are the three spots that are a little problematic when taken as a whole that really shorten the roster. It’s less what they’ve lost and more what could have been. The “I can’t believe people think Hammond actually matters” talk is kind of missing the point. The optimism is kind of nice to see, though.

Their roadmap should be that 14-15 Dayton team... limited rotation but the guys they lost were more fringe and not the core. I don’t think any of the recent news changes expectations for this season. I do think it’s a learning experience for the ones making the decisions.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah that’s all fine and understood, but the reality is that they lost three games away from home to top-25ish teams that they probably wouldn’t have won even with Walker playing, Walker is back, the rotation is full, and the team appears set up well to contend this season. There aren’t a lot of minutes available that they need a body for. Next year as a starting place they’ll have 11 scholarship guys going in when they’re never going to play more than 9 unless something goes sideways and they have flexibility to add a recruit if one pops up that fills a need or transfers to help immediately or down the line. Like I said, I’d be concerned if they lost anyone that was impacting the scoreboard, but to this point they haven’t and they aren’t dangerously thin like they were last season. The importance here of the benefit of an open scholarship to add a late commit or an in-season transfer is self evident when you look at the history: Terrell, Garrett, Robinson, Iverson, Toppin. It’s not the worst thing in the world to have the spot open if you didn’t need the guy who opened it.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Jeez a kid who isn’t gonna play bails as he should and the train is off the tracks...

Patience and calm grasshoppers
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Yeah that’s all fine and understood, but the reality is that they lost three games away from home to top-25ish teams that they probably wouldn’t have won even with Walker playing, Walker is back, the rotation is full, and the team appears set up well to contend this season. There aren’t a lot of minutes available that they need a body for. Next year as a starting place they’ll have 11 scholarship guys going in when they’re never going to play more than 9 unless something goes sideways and they have flexibility to add a recruit if one pops up that fills a need or transfers to help immediately or down the line. Like I said, I’d be concerned if they lost anyone that was impacting the scoreboard, but to this point they haven’t and they aren’t dangerously thin like they were last season. The importance here of the benefit of an open scholarship to add a late commit or an in-season transfer is self evident when you look at the history: Terrell, Garrett, Robinson, Iverson, Toppin. It’s not the worst thing in the world to have the spot open if you didn’t need the guy who opened it.
I have little issue with having an open roster spot, but there’s a difference between keeping one all year (like how they got Walker and Iverson) and having one available in the Spring for that year’s class. It’s all fine and understood that there can be benefits to that (again, Walker and Iverson), but it can be a problem when you combine that with other risky signings. If your argument comes down to “all this hasn’t hurt them too much yet,“ then I agree with you, and I hope that stays the same.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What that Dayton team did was amazing.

6 players played 98% of the time. Hardly anybody fouled out.

I think they had 7 scholarship players. Was their only reliable backup a guard?

Everybody stayed healthy and they went to the Elite 8.

I mean, compared to that we will have 9 rotation players.

But only 2 guards. How do we play up tempo in this situation?
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Although I agree Cox is kind of learning his way thru some roster stuff, to me Hammond leaving has no impact whatsoever on this year's team.We are in huge trouble if Fatts or Jeff are out anyway; having Hammond wasn't going to change that. We really needed a guard this year and the Sheppard thing was pretty disastrous, but that's water under the bridge. We just have to hope like heck the two guys we have can hang in there. What I think we will see is Tyrese at the two and Long in at the same time to support Fatts/Jeff when the other is out. And to me it's a blessing in disguise for next year as we can now go chase a pure PG (urgency dependent upon Sheppard future) in addition to the needed big.
4 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago What that Dayton team did was amazing.

6 players played 98% of the time. Hardly anybody fouled out.

I think they had 7 scholarship players. Was their only reliable backup a guard?

Everybody stayed healthy and they went to the Elite 8.

I mean, compared to that we will have 9 rotation players.

But only 2 guards. How do we play up tempo in this situation?
Definitely impressive. Scott and Robinson were the two that were suspended.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... s/dir/desc
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Not sure the worry here.

We have capable ball handling forwards. Rese plays the 2 a ton. Long showed flashes defending the point and looks to have a bit of handle.

I think Hammond played in 2 or 3 games for maybe a total of 10 minutes. He wasn’t getting burn in the rotation now, knows that Sheppard comes in next year, along with Wood and Leggett, that he’s not going to be playing.

Cox plays who he feels is most ready to get on the court. He doesn’t give playing time just to placate guys. Hammond wasn’t one of those guys. He had his moments and didn’t “wow” unlike a Toppin or Long who have earned the time.

I wish him the best.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........I think I asked in another Topic, “where are the high level A-10 guards going forward after Jeff leaves....,”.......was told to pump the breaks.......all this news, if verified is concerning for me on this level, targeting kids whom fall into these groups; “ not ready, shaky academics, general malaise with transfers(except KI and Stan) over expectations, over hyped, etc......I guess more than ever, it comes back to root for the laundry.......more things change, the more they stay the same......for the high mid major, lightning in the bottle is elusive as the roster is a revolving door......to say, next man up, and just say survive the storm with thinner bench and get to next year with a tattered patchwork quilt is concerning to me......yes, at the coach level.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Frankly, I am not sure that Hammond wasn't going to be able to make a difference this season. We are not only vulnerable to an injury but even foul trouble could be much more problematic. I realize that we have played mostly close games but I need to have seen him play more to come to any conclusions about his ability to contribute.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Only memory I have a Hammond is him going into the Alabama game for the last 8 seconds of the first half and shooting a corner 3 off the side of the backboard.
1 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Regardless, we must protect Fatts at all cost. Bubble wrap, someone walking ahead of him to salt the walkways through campus, maybe golf cart rides everywhere. Whatever it takes.
6 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP...we're not dangerously thin?

We sure are...at guard. Yes Long and Martin can play the 2...but against a pressing team we need both Fatts and Jeff.

Anyway, we need the big 3 to play every game if we're going to be good.

That hasn't changed.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago TP...we're not dangerously thin?

We sure are...at guard. Yes Long and Martin can play the 2...but against a pressing team we need both Fatts and Jeff.

Anyway, we need the big 3 to play every game if we're going to be good.

That hasn't changed.
That’s the point I think though - if lose Jeff or Fatts, we’re screwed whether we have Hammond or not.

Hence why the Hammond piece doesn’t matter. Sheppard was the significant loss this year. Hammond is a non-factor unfortunately.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

So dramatic.

Greg wasn’t even the 10th man. He wanted to play. Cox didn’t think he was ready. Greg thought otherwise. So what? We move on.

Roster management is tough. We aren’t the only team...this would be a bigger loss if it were someone who was seeing minutes.

Not to mention, Greg’s head was being pumped by being “the best player in Louisiana”. I’m sure his handlers were in his ear telling him that there is some school out there that will start him with his size and rep. The game moved a little too fast for him while out on the floor.

Again, it’s hard finding guys that want to be the 9th/10th man off the bench. That just the reality of it. Doesn’t matter if you’re at Duke or South Gettysburg State University.
Last edited by DC_Rams 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The way most of our games have gone so far this season, there hasn't been a lot of garbage time so Greg wasn't going to get in anyway.

Although at the end of the PC game Cox put Dadika in instead of Hammond.

That must have frosted his balls no end.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Toppin and Long make me think this can be overcome. Those two freshmen can play and will be here for 4 years.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......well maybe, can’t fault Coach Cox for playing a walk on for seeing the floor against PC at home.....his last home PC game....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938