12/21 | Western Kentucky | 2:00PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

12/21 | Western Kentucky | 2:00PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Western Kentucky University
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Saturday, December 21, 2019
2:00PM

Media
TV: YurView
Online: ESPN +
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or iHeart Radio App
Tune In Radio

Previews:
WKU Fan Forum
Another WKU Fan Forum

After coming off a big victory against their instate rivals & some extended time off for exams, the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers come to town. This is the first ever meeting between these two teams. The only thing I really know about WKU is that they have a weird looking mascot & that former PC ruffian Kenny McDonald was their coach like 10 years ago. The Hilltoppers were dealt a major blow this season when they lost their beast of a center, 6’11” sophomore Charles Bassey. This would have been a great match-up with him & Cyril, but alas it won’t happen. WKU spreads out their offense as they have 4 others who average in double digit points. Also, this will be the first game of the season that Antwan Walker is eligible to play. With Bassey out, Rhody should take this one but you can never take these types of games too lightly. There won’t be many students at this game as they are on break but it is part of the 5 game mini-plan, so I am going to estimate the attendance in the upper 5000s.

Opponent
Record:
7-3, 0-0 in Conference USA
Last season: 20-14, 11-7 in Conference USA

Rankings:
RPI: 70
KenPom: 88
NCAA NET: 113

Leaders :
Points – Charles Bassey, 15.3 (Soph., C)
Rebounds – Charles Bassey, 9.2 (Soph., G)
Assists – Taveion Hollingsworth, 3.3 (Jr., G) (3.1 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 0-0
H: 0-0, A: 0-0, N: 0-0
Match-up Predictor: 65.6% Chance of URI Winning
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 12/21 | Western Kentucky | 2:00PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Unread post by section(105) »

......after the PC game; Team Rankings gives the #83 ranked URI a 61% chance to win over their #81 ranked WKU......ands 22% chance for URI to Dance......
Last edited by section(105) 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That 65% had to go up with their center out. Interesting that this is the first matchup in school history.
0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

All i want to know is if their mascot will be in the building
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago All i want to know is if their mascot will be in the building
I think I mentioned that in another thread, but he it has to be there, right? I mean if that's not a part of the contract, that's a serious ball-drop.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Western Kentucky men's basketball has a very impressive history.

23 NCAA appearances
NCAA Record of 19-24
NCAA Final-4: 1971* (vacated)
NCAA Elite-8: 1940
NCAA Sweet-16: 1960, 1962, 1966, 1978, 1993, 2008

14 NIT Appearances
NIT record of 12-15

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_K ... basketball
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Western Kentucky men's basketball has a very impressive history.

23 NCAA appearances
NCAA Record of 19-24
NCAA Final-4: 1971* (vacated)
NCAA Elite-8: 1940
NCAA Sweet-16: 1960, 1962, 1966, 1978, 1993, 2008

14 NIT Appearances
NIT record of 12-15

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_K ... basketball

They're always good.

It wont be easy.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Crowd size for next Saturday. Counting the dots (any anything behind full rows of dots) I come up with 635 seats available.
That has the student sections blocked out. Students will be on break so I am sure a lot of those seats will be open. Rhody tickets is offering promotions to try to fill the student sections - 1) URI students can bring 2 friends for free, 2) Be a Student for a Day - the general public can buy seats in the student sections for $15, 3) Family Four Pack - 4 tickets, 4 soda & 4 popcorn for $70.

I think the strong ticket sales so far are attributed to the mini plans, the family four pack with a 2:00 start & a good opponent.
It looks like they will have 6,000 fans even without a strong student crowd.
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

We had to miss the PC game so we’re really looking forward to this. If there’s 6,000 of us more the better.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Beating PC should be more people to home games as well.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

They will be coming in with a NET of 84.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

As a reminder, before this game from noon - 2, the people from Ragged Island (PC Fans) have to guest bar tend at Shaidzon wearing URI gear. I suggest making a stop over there to give them some shit. :)

3 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Hopefully the people who bought the mini plan to get the PC game will show up Saturday
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

spookydog wrote: 4 years ago As a reminder, before this game from noon - 2, the people from Ragged Island (PC Fans) have to guest bar tend at Shaidzon wearing URI gear. I suggest making a stop over there to give them some shit. :)

Matt from Ragged Island and I played rugby together in Newport for years. Lot of shit talk back and forth. He’s a good time, and will be an even better time giving him shit on Saturday.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Generally games played just before Christmas do not draw well, though it varies with the prestige of the opponent and expectations about the Rams.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Generally games played just before Christmas do not draw well, though it varies with the prestige of the opponent and expectations about the Rams.
I am hoping the following help change that trend - 4 days before xmas, Saturday game, early start, part of 5 game plan, family 4 pack promo & a good opponent. Great game to bring kids with weekend 2:00 start.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Pats play at 4:30 so should be ample time for locals to get back to their couches also.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Pats play at 4:30 so should be ample time for locals to get back to their couches also.
Enough tickets sold. Just need season ticket holders and five game plan purchasers to show up or give their tickets to someone.
I don’t understand season holders that don’t find people to use their tickets for free or donate them.
1 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

ESPN+ being dominated by the A10
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dot update - Dot count + any seats behind them is at 589.
Again, no dots in the student sections. General Admission can buy those seats in “be a student for a day” promotion.
I wonder what expected walkup Ticket sales are for a Dec game. Weather is suppose to be ok.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I’m concerned about two weeks of rust and the fact that Western Kentucky played a game, albeit an exhibition.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago I’m concerned about two weeks of rust and the fact that Western Kentucky played a game, albeit an exhibition.
Fret not. Fatts needed the break. Take Rhody and the over.
3 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

This has a feeling of a trap game to me. Two weeks off after a big win playing against a team that has lost their NBA bound center. I’ve seen this happen too often in Kingston. I hope I’m wrong and the two weeks of rust will wear off quickly.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Most recent rankings:
Western Kentucky:
BPI: 83
NET: 85
KEN POM: 89
RPI: 92

URI:
BPI: 85
NET: 72
KEN POM: 81
RPI: 58
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago This has a feeling of a trap game to me. Two weeks off after a big win playing against a team that has lost their NBA bound center. I’ve seen this happen too often in Kingston. I hope I’m wrong and the two weeks of rust will wear off quickly.
I think URI will win but WKU is too good to be considered a trap.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

My guess on the opening line is URI -4. Could end up higher depending on the how Vegas values Bassey being out. The last time we saw Rhody they easily covered at home, but that was a while ago. I wouldn’t be shocked to see this start as low as -3.5 or as high as -6.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'm surprised the line would be that low even without their top scorer, rebounder and most likely their overall best player in Bassey.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

No trap game here. Not playing for 2 weeks might mean a slow start though.

The Middle Tennessee game would be more of a trap game, especially since it's on the road. Or Brown.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I dont think this is a trap.

It would only be a trap In that they are a good basketball program and have a team capable of beating us.....when we aren't playing that well.

We can win this with another super game from Fatts, but I want to see a little more from everybody else, except maybe Cyril.

Long and Toppin are going to bring it. Anything they do well is just the cherry on top of the whipped topping.

Martin seems like he is on the verge of really taking off. Just dont know when that will happen.

Anything impactful from Harris would be nice.

The biggest thing is Dowtin. He hasn't looked all that confident when trying to score out there. Hopefully his keeping the team afloat during that PC run raises his spirits enough to get him going.

We need him to make some threes like we have seen him do and make those Dowtin mid range shots. Just waiting for it to happen, because I know it will.

Come on back Mr Tate we love you.

Pray for a Christmas miracle for Shep
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We really need Tyrese and Jeff to increase their level of play. Tyrese creates space on offense bc you have to respect his 3, given he is shooting it at 40%. He needs to keep being a consistent marksmen to open up lanes for Fatts/Jeff, but he also has to look to put the ball on the deck at times and get to the paint, use his athleticism, and get to the foul line more. Jeff just needs to go back to being Jeff. His assists and FG% are down significantly, and he has at times looked like he is struggling to figure out his offensive role. He is our bedrock, we need him to regain his form, and I'm confident he will. Then you have Cyril who I think will see his stats increase as he heads into conference play where he won't see P5 sized front lines and athleticism. After that everyone is a role player. And if they play to their roles and that Core 4 above maxes out this can be a great year.

Our ceiling is still high IMO, but our margin of error due to depth issues is fairly slim.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree this is not a trap game we been off for 2 weeks and have a quality opponent

I think TP is pretty close to what the spread will be

I am expecting a war
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Agree this is not a trap game we been off for 2 weeks and have a quality opponent

I think TP is pretty close to what the spread will be

I am expecting a war
agreed, their four other starters are all in double figures

They'll be a tough out, but I expect a W

Hollingsworth 13.5 pts
Justice 13.3 pts
Williams 11.3 pts
Savage 10.1 pts
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
to produce like he did, and being banged up, he's a tough kid man
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

........so good to have a game, in my new approach to Jermaine, looking for him to continue learning his role, make a positive contribution.......please, please, please no early fouls......
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fatts was definitely banged up so the 15 days must have been great four him to heal
2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago This has a feeling of a trap game to me. Two weeks off after a big win playing against a team that has lost their NBA bound center. I’ve seen this happen too often in Kingston. I hope I’m wrong and the two weeks of rust will wear off quickly.

To me, the two weeks off makes it less of a trap game. PC is a distant memory. Coach has plenty of time to have his team ready and this would arguably be our best win to date. If it would be a good win, it can't at the same time be a trap game.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Found out I have to be a mule for my wife's trip to a show in Boston tomorrow afternoon. Does anyone know of bars that may have ESPN+ for watching the game anywhere around Boston proper? I'll be dropping off at the Wang Theatre (Chinatown/Financial District) and have to head over towards the Fenway during the show for a shopping stop. Either of those areas would be good.

Can use my phone and ESPN+ subscription from anywhere, but wouldn't mind seeing it on a proper TV screen.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’ve disliked Western Kentucky since the 1993 tournament, which seems like a very, very long time. I’m going to need the Rams to win this one.

Fatts is so dramatic and extra, and I love that about him. Welcome, Antwan! I think Dowtin has a monster game.
2 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago Found out I have to be a mule for my wife's trip to a show in Boston tomorrow afternoon. Does anyone know of bars that may have ESPN+ for watching the game anywhere around Boston proper? I'll be dropping off at the Wang Theatre (Chinatown/Financial District) and have to head over towards the Fenway during the show for a shopping stop. Either of those areas would be good.

Can use my phone and ESPN+ subscription from anywhere, but wouldn't mind seeing it on a proper TV screen.
I would maybe try and call a few bars maybe and ask to speak with the bar manager?

Rock bottom near Wang, maybe cask n flagon near fenway, game on, yardhouse?
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago Found out I have to be a mule for my wife's trip to a show in Boston tomorrow afternoon. Does anyone know of bars that may have ESPN+ for watching the game anywhere around Boston proper? I'll be dropping off at the Wang Theatre (Chinatown/Financial District) and have to head over towards the Fenway during the show for a shopping stop. Either of those areas would be good.

I would maybe try and call a few bars maybe and ask to speak with the bar manager?

if you were near TD, I'd suggest trying banners, not sure if they would have ESPN+ but that place has a ginormous screen for games. a great spot for when march madness starts
0 x
Sox1
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Sox1 »

Rock Bottom doesn't for sure. I'm pretty confident neither does C&F or yardhouse. Game on might, but i'd agree that calling ahead is the way to go.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......aaaaaggggghhh, the holidays......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

#FreeDanaTate !
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Sox1 wrote: 4 years ago

Rock Bottom doesn't for sure. I'm pretty confident neither does C&F or yardhouse. Game on might, but i'd agree that calling ahead is the way to go.
For all the bars there are in Boston, there really aren't all that many close by the Wang. I'd definitely call or at the very least, find a spot with strong wifi and bring a laptop or tablet instead of your phone.

Google Map Link of Bars Near the Wang
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

If you can find a place with a cool bartender/manager they might let you hook up your phone to the TV. I've done it a few times. Sometimes I have to find a TV in the corner where nobody else will care whats on. Surprisingly Southern California bar patrons aren't that into Rhode Island basketball!
4 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago

If you can find a place with a cool bartender/manager they might let you hook up your phone to the TV. I've done it a few times. Sometimes I have to find a TV in the corner where nobody else will care whats on. Surprisingly Southern California bar patrons aren't that into Rhode Island basketball!
yeah, exactly

hopefully you talk with one thats cool and if they arent slammed let you have ur own tv in a corner or table top spot. I've done it too in the past, they are fine with it as long as you are ordering apps, meals, some drinks, etc. and not just taking up the table if they are crowded, good luck
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago

If you have a chromecast or firestick perhaps they'll let you connect?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”