A little history

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
neil
Art Stephenson

A little history

Unread post by neil »

Have not done a good job of posting after the passing of Rod so I thought I would go back in time about uri-pc. My first pc game was in 1968. They put a football bleacher on the east side of Keaney to squeeze more people in. Rams won 53-51. I screamed at the friar center tony koski all night. In 1979, the rams beat pc86-42. Pc had 9 points with two minutes left in the half. My seat was close to the friar bench and I was giving it to Mullaney. A security guard came down the aisle and stared at me for the rest of the game (maybe I had the same attitude as a fan who got thrown out of Mohegan! I have many more and post one each day to Friday. Please feel free to contribute your stories. Have not and will not quit! That ram fan! Matt, feel better
16 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: A little history

Unread post by steviep123 »

My first two were in Dec 1986 and 87. Unfortunately, URI lost a thriller, 100-90 the year PC went to the Final Four. The next season, URI's Sweet Sixteen year, the Rams more than evened the score winning by 22. I've been to several over the years, though not every season. My favorite was probably in December 1992, when Mike Brown's late layup gave Rhody the 81-79 victory in OT. I'm 99% certain that game was on ESPN.

Who can forget Dustin Hellenga reigning down 3s from the Keaney lot in the first meeting on the Kingston campus since the 70s? That was fun as was Duwan Robinson taking over down the stretch 2 years later!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......do I recall that Earnie D played on the PC freshman team in Keaney?.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I will never forget the 1996 game at the Civic Center. JV and I were ballboys at the time. God Shammgod was a Friar. This was at a time when the Civic Center had become a "home" arena for URI. We used to have the Ram logo on the court and everything - taped on like the BankRI logo now. It was great because you used to have the URI student section behind one hoop, and the PC student section behind the other.

It was a tight game until the end where Rhody pulled away and won.

A young and brash me decided during Shammgod free throws that the crowd needed to be louder. I got on the base of the hoop and started jumping up and and down to get the crowd riled up. It was shaking the rim. The refs threw me out. My mom was mad. My dad thought it was funny. The first throw out of my life and apparently the start of a habit. Rhody pulled away after that. Won by double digits if I remember correctly. Those were the days.
10 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

When my youngest daughter was 5 or 6 we took her to a PC-URI game and sat with a bunch of Rhody fans. It was a tight game and the fans started yelling “PC Sucks PC Sucks”. My little was caught up in the excitement and started yelling it too. I’ve never been more proud. Later on when they went to college we said they could go to any college other than PC.
5 x
Slava Ukraini!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago I will never forget the 1996 game at the Civic Center. JV and I were ballboys at the time. God Shammgod was a Friar. This was at a time when the Civic Center had become a "home" arena for URI. We used to have the Ram logo on the court and everything - taped on like the BankRI logo now. It was great because you used to have the URI student section behind one hoop, and the PC student section behind the other.

It was a tight game until the end where Rhody pulled away and won.

A young and brash me decided during Shammgod free throws that the crowd needed to be louder. I got on the base of the hoop and started jumping up and and down to get the crowd riled up. It was shaking the rim. The refs threw me out. My mom was mad. My dad thought it was funny. The first throw out of my life and apparently the start of a habit. Rhody pulled away after that. Won by double digits if I remember correctly. Those were the days.
Must have been this season:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

That is the ticket to my first game ever. JK, I am not that old. That is my Mother In law's but thought it was very cool that she kept it. They did win that game...but unfortunately lost the next 7 against their instate rivals.

My first URI/PC was 25 years ago today, my freshmen year (Christ I am old now). Mobley & Cordell Llewellyn both went for 20 but it wasn't enough as they ended losing at Providence by 2 or 3. That season they only won 7 games & had a 13 game losing streak but you knew they had something special with freshmen Mobley & Wheeler. For those 4 years it was a hell of a ride.

Go Rhody!!
6 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

neil wrote: 4 years ago Have not done a good job of posting after the passing of Rod so I thought I would go back in time about uri-pc. My first pc game was in 1968. They put a football bleacher on the east side of Keaney to squeeze more people in. Rams won 53-51. I screamed at the friar center tony koski all night. In 1979, the rams beat pc86-42. Pc had 9 points with two minutes left in the half. My seat was close to the friar bench and I was giving it to Mullaney. A security guard came down the aisle and stared at me for the rest of the game (maybe I had the same attitude as a fan who got thrown out of Mohegan! I have many more and post one each day to Friday. Please feel free to contribute your stories. Have not and will not quit! That ram fan! Matt, feel better
I remember watching that game on television. Wasn't Eddie Molloy from Pawtucket our point guard that year?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Here's a memory: I think it was the second time the mental hospital came to the Ryan Center. Somehow a bunch of them got tickets next to us in Section 105, and they were acting the way you'd expect them to act. Finally, about midway through the second half, Little Red -- who hadn't even reached five feet in height yet -- turned to them and said, "Hey! Sit down and shut up!" And they did.

That's my girl!
7 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Recent history the famous snow game where the horror of the friars greatest nightmare of playing Rhode Island in a shiny new on campus building with the hatred of 8000 of keaneyblue’s finest fans raining down on them for 40 minutes came true.

It was glorious!
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......our local Ray Johnson going to PC.....ugh
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great memories by all

Love that ticket stub from 62 baby !!!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Neil, I remember that 44 point win in '79 very well, Sly's last year. When I was in school, we were still playing PC twice a year, but the game was never played in Keaney. Both games were played at the Civic Center. It seemed we would split with them every year. Even the '74-'75 team which started out at 0-14 beat PC later that year. As heated as the rivalry is now, it was brutal back then, especially after Sly showed up in Kingston instead of Providence. Fights on the court, fights in the stands, fights outside of the Civic Center. My most vivid memory is a bus full of us URI fans were getting ready to head back to Kingston after a game when a large group of PC fans tried to tip over our bus. The bus was rocking back and forth. The cops broke it up, but that's something I'll never forget. Boy, do I hate that school.
1 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Red, Larry Johnson and Mike Schane were the starting guards. Malloy played that year on the freshman team and joined with Dwight Tolliver the following season.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

my first PC game in person was 1997, the elite 8 year

Was awesome seeing Cat and Tyson putting it on the Fryahs

Great memory with my Dad, who despised PC and UMASS. Always grouped both schools together, getting 'protected' from the refs
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

neil wrote: 4 years ago Red, Larry Johnson and Mike Schane were the starting guards. Malloy played that year on the freshman team and joined with Dwight Tolliver the following season.
Neil, you have in incredible memory. I remember the names, but some of the details that you remember are amazing.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

My favorite memory of the PC URI Rivalry was when both teams were playing in the Providence Civic Center in the Industrial National Bank Classic
URI vs #1 Ranked Michigan
PC vs Texas

Sly Williams had spurned PC and Dave Gavitt for URI and Jack Kraft. Only a Freshman Sly was immense scoring 32 points and leaving the PC faithful in the stands wondering just what they missed out on.

Nobody could believe a Freshman could score 32 points in a game and so early in the season AND against the #1 Team in the Country led by Phil Hubbard and Ricky Green.

PC Fans never got over being spurned by Sly Williams who got off the Amtrak Train in West Kingston instead of Providence. What a great player Sly was.

Excerpt From the SI Article from 1979....

But the citizenry of Rhode Island has been so enamored of Providence for so many years that Williams' efforts to keep the state on the basketball map have not been greeted with applause. In his first game at the Providence Civic Center, in the Industrial Classic during his freshman year, Williams was introduced to a chorus of boos before the Rams' game with Michigan. "That was a difficult thing for a kid who had never been booed in his life," says Kraft. But Williams responded with 32 points, and when he was removed from the game with less than a minute to go, he got a standing ovation.

https://www.si.com/vault/1979/01/22/823 ... dly-little
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago My favorite memory of the PC URI Rivalry was when both teams were playing in the Providence Civic Center in the Industrial National Bank Classic
URI vs #1 Ranked Michigan
PC vs Texas

Sly Williams had spurned PC and Dave Gavitt for URI and Jack Kraft. Only a Freshman Sly was immense scoring 32 points and leaving the PC faithful in the stands wondering just what they missed out on.

Excerpt From the SI Article from 1979....

But the citizenry of Rhode Island has been so enamored of Providence for so many years that Williams' efforts to keep the state on the basketball map have not been greeted with applause. In his first game at the Providence Civic Center, in the Industrial Classic during his freshman year, Williams was introduced to a chorus of boos before the Rams' game with Michigan. "That was a difficult thing for a kid who had never been booed in his life," says Kraft. But Williams responded with 32 points, and when he was removed from the game with less than a minute to go, he got a standing ovation.

https://www.si.com/vault/1979/01/22/823 ... dly-little
We lost to Michigan by only 10 points and PC beat them the next night.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Freakin Bob Miscavious hit the game winner . You guys recall him ??

That’s a fantastic SI article great find Ramsterv
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Bus full of URI students unloading at wolf rock liquor store (not sure if that was name then, also famous for picking a bunch of us up during blizzard of '78 after we walked there bought our beer and started walking back. Took us back in their box truck). Getting to Civic center and bus unloading us on the off ramp because of the traffic. Don't remember any of game details but remember the venom spewed at each other by each " student body"..
2 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Yes I remember that fat ba&$@rd and his fore arm shiver on a screen at mid-court. I just don’t remember who he did it to. And it was Kenyon’s back then!!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Recent history the famous snow game where the horror of the friars greatest nightmare of playing Rhode Island in a shiny new on campus building with the hatred of 8000 of keaneyblue’s finest fans raining down on them for 40 minutes came true.

It was glorious!
Dustin Hellenga’s coming out party. What a game that was. Worth the 2 hour drive home to North Kingstown.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The Skinner fight game. I got called in to work and had a ticket with my fraternity for that game. Decided to take the money over the game. Listened to it on the radio in the kitchen cooking up a storm swearing that I should have been at that game.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I know this started with history of games vs. PC, but it got me thinking of the best games I've ever attended. While I haven't been to any of the NCAA games (it would have been absolutely amazing to have been at the 1998 win over Kansas or 1988 over Missouri and Syracuse). Quickly off the top of my head here are 7 games that stand out in no particular ranking order...

1. 2002 vs. USC - Ryan Center opening
2. 1993 vs. UMass - Damont Collins hitting two clutch free throws late in a sold out Providence Civic Center (you could hear a pin drop when he was shooting).
3. 1994 vs. West Virginia - Carlos Coffield drains a deep 3 in OT to tie the game - URI eventually wins 108-103 in 3 OT.
4. 1992 at Boston College post season NIT, in which Jason Alexander hits a 3 with just a few tics left in double OT to win it 81-80.
5. 2003 vs. Seton Hall - Duwan Robinson's buzzer winner.
6. 1997(?) vs. Temple - Ibn Bakari goes balastic hitting 7 3 pointers in a win.
7. 1996 vs. Va Tech who was very good that year. Lost a close one, but a football player that had suffered life threatening injuries the previous fall was introduced during the game. I swear that may have been the loudest I've ever heard Keaney Gym. They later upset Va Tech in the A10 quarters.

If I have to rank them, then at BC is 1 with the West Va game a close second. That was a very fun bright spot in an otherwise mediocre season.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Was at most of steviep123 games above good stuff, we forget the RC opening was not a sellout I was on the floor and it was electric especially as the game wound down. Never even noticed the empty seats in the 300's.

Believe it was Jan 82, packed Keaney, low scoring game as I recall every one in the building knew Bagley was getting the ball. Ended like Hoosiers, not good for our Rams.

Many hazy recall I'd have to look up from when I was a student in the 70's but I promise we made Keaney a true pit.....

88 Tenple showdown in Keaney got down 9-0 quick played em even from there, you weren't getting into that game without season tix....never got a chance at an NCAA Elite 8 crack at those guys sadly. I do not believe they could have beaten Rhody again, wow that was a great team in 88 but Macon was so tough. One of the greatest college players I've seen in person.

back to Friar talk was behind PC bench 89 URI home game at PCC. 2 rows back rode Barnes the whole time tho respectfully ( I actually liked Barnes)
So EL goes to the line at end of game and Barnes stands up to attempt to ice him before he went into his 10 bounce routine. It was dead quiet and I told Barnes to sit down. He turned around and looked me right in the eye and sat. Class act. I took credit for that one....
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

........Rod is loving this.....
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Then there was 1996, when Ruben (The Thug) Garces sucker-punched Mike Andersen at mid-court and the Three Blind Mice saw neither the punch nor the blood coming out of Mike's nose.
2 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

One of my top five ram games in over fifty years of rooting is the 65-62 ram win in 1978 in the ri government doesn’t give a damn about us game. The CC was divided in half between Uri and Pc. The three favorite things that came from the win was 1 beating Pc, 2, going to the dance and 3, with under 10 seconds left in the game, all the friar fans got up and walked out leaving the dunk with ram fans to storm the court and celebrate. It did not get any better for me sitting in the top row and watch the friar faithful walk out.
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

neil wrote: 4 years ago One of my top five ram games in over fifty years of rooting is the 65-62 ram win in 1978 in the ri government doesn’t give a damn about us game. The CC was divided in half between Uri and Pc. The three favorite things that came from the win was 1 beating Pc, 2, going to the dance and 3, with under 10 seconds left in the game, all the friar fans got up and walked out leaving the dunk with ram fans to storm the court and celebrate. It did not get any better for me sitting in the top row and watch the friar faithful walk out.
I was 8 years old at the time, so wasn't really aware of the significance of the game and what the RI gov't did, taking out an ad in the projo wishing a private institution good luck against the flagship STATE UNIVERSITY. Unconscionable. I remember my mom who was a die hard Rhody fan (who saw games in Rodman, Keaney, and the Ryan Center) was upset about it, although at the time I didn't understand why. I vaguely remember watching the game, and vaguely remembering the importance, though at the time, I didn't understand it. My whole family was ecstatic at the victory. It must have been great to have been there!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

Is there any easy way to get a list of the dates of games, outcome and scores against a single opponent (PC)? I'd love to see the results at least since we moved to the Ryan Center.
0 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I was 8 years old at the time, so wasn't really aware of the significance of the game and what the RI gov't did, taking out an ad in the projo wishing a private institution good luck against the flagship STATE UNIVERSITY.
My dad still fumes about that ad to this day.
2 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

rhodylocal wrote: 4 years ago Is there any easy way to get a list of the dates of games, outcome and scores against a single opponent (PC)? I'd love to see the results at least since we moved to the Ryan Center.
https://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/201 ... d_Book.pdf
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Rirams95
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Rirams95 »

rhodylocal wrote: 4 years ago Is there any easy way to get a list of the dates of games, outcome and scores against a single opponent (PC)? I'd love to see the results at least since we moved to the Ryan Center.
Or this:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... -head.html
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I would definitely agree with you, Steve on the Nov 2002 game against USC. They said they’d never play us again after that. Not only was it the first game at the Ryan Center, but it was my freshman year and I worked in the SID office at the scorer’s table. The game that season against Pitt always stands out to me as well as the win against Nebraska in 2014.

Can you imagine if we still had to have our home games against the Fryhuz at the Dump?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That was terrible when we played both games each season an the Dunk.
1 x
Ram96
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ram96 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I know this started with history of games vs. PC, but it got me thinking of the best games I've ever attended. While I haven't been to any of the NCAA games (it would have been absolutely amazing to have been at the 1998 win over Kansas or 1988 over Missouri and Syracuse). Quickly off the top of my head here are 7 games that stand out in no particular ranking order...

2. 1993 vs. UMass - Damont Collins hitting two clutch free throws late in a sold out Providence Civic Center (you could hear a pin drop when he was shooting).
3. 1994 vs. West Virginia - Carlos Coffield drains a deep 3 in OT to tie the game - URI eventually wins 108-103 in 3 OT.
4. 1992 at Boston College post season NIT, in which Jason Alexander hits a 3 with just a few tics left in double OT to win it 81-80.
7. 1996 vs. Va Tech who was very good that year. Lost a close one, but a football player that had suffered life threatening injuries the previous fall was introduced during the game. I swear that may have been the loudest I've ever heard Keaney Gym. They later upset Va Tech in the A10 quarters.

If I have to rank them, then at BC is 1 with the West Va game a close second. That was a very fun bright spot in an otherwise mediocre season.
I was at #3 in 94 vs WVU. The 3 OT game really sticks out as very memorable. That was super exciting and a great win at the time.
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago I would definitely agree with you, Steve on the Nov 2002 game against USC. They said they’d never play us again after that. Not only was it the first game at the Ryan Center, but it was my freshman year and I worked in the SID office at the scorer’s table. The game that season against Pitt always stands out to me as well as the win against Nebraska in 2014.

Can you imagine if we still had to have our home games against the Fryhuz at the Dump?
The Pitt game was awesome even though it wasn't very competitive

Weren't they #2 when they came to Kingston?
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago I would definitely agree with you, Steve on the Nov 2002 game against USC. They said they’d never play us again after that. Not only was it the first game at the Ryan Center, but it was my freshman year and I worked in the SID office at the scorer’s table. The game that season against Pitt always stands out to me as well as the win against Nebraska in 2014.

The Pitt game was awesome even though it wasn't very competitive

Weren't they #2 when they came to Kingston?
I hated going to the Dunking Dump even after the $96 million dollar glorified paint job they called a renovation. I'm so glad we don't play games there any more. I've been back only twice I think since the since the Ryan Center opened. 2002 in Baron's first year an upset 73-71 win over Providence, and 2004 an overtime loss. I remember Scott Hazelton was pretty unstoppable that game, but wasn't enough. Did some Christmas shopping at the mall, dinner and drinks with friends, then that game. I don't think I've been back.

As for Pitt, I don't remember specifically, but definitely in the top 5.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Did the mental hospital ever complete its investigation into who attacked Rhody? I must have missed their big announcement.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago Did the mental hospital ever complete its investigation into who attacked Rhody? I must have missed their big announcement.
.......the investigation was called off, once it led toward the cartel.....?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bpaz11
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bpaz11 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I know this started with history of games vs. PC, but it got me thinking of the best games I've ever attended. While I haven't been to any of the NCAA games (it would have been absolutely amazing to have been at the 1998 win over Kansas or 1988 over Missouri and Syracuse). Quickly off the top of my head here are 7 games that stand out in no particular ranking order...

My favorite off this list was number 5 the NIT game vs Seton Hall. I can still picture Robinson taking the ball to half court with little time left and dribbling so slow. I was yelling to my friends "what is he doing he's going to run the clock out!!" Then he got over half court, made a quick move and hit an open jumper. This post made me look back at that years NIT because I knew we lost the next game but couldn't remember against who. It was Temple. Look at the bracket that year though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Nati ... Tournament
There were some great programs in that tournament that year. Georgetown, UNC, MINN, St. Johns. Locally we were in with PC, and Brown.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

bpaz11 wrote: 4 years ago

My favorite off this list was number 5 the NIT game vs Seton Hall. I can still picture Robinson taking the ball to half court with little time left and dribbling so slow. I was yelling to my friends "what is he doing he's going to run the clock out!!" Then he got over half court, made a quick move and hit an open jumper. This post made me look back at that years NIT because I knew we lost the next game but couldn't remember against who. It was Temple. Look at the bracket that year though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Nati ... Tournament
There were some great programs in that tournament that year. Georgetown, UNC, MINN, St. Johns. Locally we were in with PC, and Brown.
I hated that we had to play Temple again next as we already played them twice during the season....made know sense. I also remember Ted Sarandis on WEEI having a temper trantrum after BC lost to Temple, which made me laugh out loud.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

#7, I think you are thinking of Bobby Apgar, a terrible accident and big news at the time. That was also the day my grandfather died, we were at the game and my Dad called me afterwards to let me know. I was crushed. Funny what you do and don't remember. Still miss him all these years later. Va Tech moved out of the A10 soon after that I believe.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago Then there was 1996, when Ruben (The Thug) Garces sucker-punched Mike Andersen at mid-court and the Three Blind Mice saw neither the punch nor the blood coming out of Mike's nose.
That was terrible.
Now he is a coach

https://www.golocalprov.com/sports/form ... f-st.-rays
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RI_Bred wrote: 4 years ago

#7, I think you are thinking of Bobby Apgar, a terrible accident and big news at the time. That was also the day my grandfather died, we were at the game and my Dad called me afterwards to let me know. I was crushed. Funny what you do and don't remember. Still miss him all these years later. Va Tech moved out of the A10 soon after that I believe.
Yup, that's exactly who I was thinking of. I couldn't remember the name. Thanks for confirming! Va Tech I think left in 2000 and were replaced by Richmond in 2001.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!