Vito Priore to Transfer

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RhodyMadness072
Michael Andersen

Vito Priore to Transfer

Unread post by RhodyMadness072 »

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 5.23.37 PM.png
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Re: Vito

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

FBS? Really? Not sure how he starts at one of those schools when he was pushed by a true freshman at FCS level. But best of luck to him going forward.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Can’t see him starting at a FBS School when he struggled at URI and went winless in the CAA
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

RhodyFan-the reason Perrantes did not play until Merrimack game was he was not ready. Very reliable source.
(He wasn't). He will have to improve. Perrantes may have a future,but didn't show anything this season.

D-1 Teams will be lining up for Vito IMO. If Harris and Lawson can get transfer offers the sky's the limit for Vito.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

How can you blame a guy for wanting to go to a program that has a chance to win, especially at the FBS level?

Anybody that has talent and potential should do the same.

Not sure Vito is good enough, but good luck to him.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Look at the schedule he played & the TD's .
If he does not already have something lined up,be shocked.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Cant blame him.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Ramster--our defense and offensive line were why Vito had big problems winning at this level.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

His arm strength is an issue IMO. He either threw short slants or 25 yard jump balls to elite receivers. I’m kinda shocked at this news.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago Ramster--our defense and offensive line were why Vito had big problems winning at this level.
I was not impressed with his arm strength or his floating balls that sometimes resulted in interceptions
He had outstanding receivers who often outfought and/or out jumped the defense to make great catches. Parker and Coulter made many amazing catches.
Give Lawson this years team and they better last years record.
Not losing any sleep over this transfer.
Let the competition for the QB position begin.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago Ramster--our defense and offensive line were why Vito had big problems winning at this level.
I was not impressed with his arm strength or his floating balls that sometimes resulted in interceptions
He had outstanding receivers who often outfought and/or out jumped the defense to make great catches. Parker and Coulter made many amazing catches.
People wont agree with this, but if we had Lawson, we would have won every single one of those close games we lost.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
People wont agree with this, but if we had Lawson, we would have won every single one of those close games we lost.
I would agree. Lawson was an excellent QB.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

I would agree. Lawson was an excellent QB.
I mean, we didnt need much more to win those games.

Maybe a better defense would've changed a lot.

It's just the weapons on this team should have been incredibly hard to stop at all times.

Vito did well because of what was around him.

He didnt make anybody better really.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Vito Priore to Transfer

Was not impressed with Priore the couple times I saw him this year.

Yes Lawson would have won 2-3 more games...better passer and way better runner.

However there's the issue of defense, or lack of it.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

as usual,there is a difference of opinion (but that's what makes a horse race).
Lawson's ill advised run over a Harvard LB cost this team playoffs last year. Was not same when came back. Vito was not even on the field last 2 seasons when major snafu's hit. No running game either.

season ticket holders/donors see this correctly as an indictment of the whole situation.
It would sure be ironic if Vito went somewhere else and did well.

Happy Thanksgiving.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Last year was last year. Lawson's injury was huge.

Yes we would have been a playoff team with at least 8 wins, and who knows how far we might have gone in the playoffs.

I mean, look what Maine did, and we should have beaten them and they probably wouldn't even have made the playoffs.

But that's what a really good QB can do.

We didn't have that this year, and the defense was even worse.

What does the future hold? Unless we bring in some miracle worker, not much.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Ramster, I agree 100%. I would even take it 1 step further. From an outsiders perspective, I think we win all the close games with Tyler Harris. He had a big time arm, but struggled putting the ball where it needed to be. With this group of receivers, they would have made plays and he would have had the arm strength to get the ball out to the guys. Even guys like Probst, Paul-Etiene and Bentsen would have been able to get more out of the team.

As has been stated, his arm strength was a major issue. The ball was often behind the receiver on basic passes like slants. He threw off the back foot entirely too much. I feel bad picking on the kid, but I think a better quarterback would have covered up some of our issues. We were one dimensional, and to be honest, that dimension wasn't as good as it needed to be with the talent we had at WR.

Like I said, I feel like I am piling on the kid, and I don't want it to seem that way. I was impressed with his toughness and seemed like a good leader? With that said, his leaving is mutually beneficial. The fact that there was even a question who would start between him and a true freshman tells you all that you need to know, especially with the surrounding circumstances.
1 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

We could certainly benefit from bringing in a graduate transfer at QB for next season, especially if Perrantes isn't ready to take the reigns. That should have been the plan for this season, as well.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I would put Priore starting at a P5 next year as the second craziest thing I have seen on this board in 2019. Marial Mading’s absurd rise obviously number 1.
4 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Vito was a more productive and consistent than Catalina and Steinmetz.
And they had significant success at FBS level.
4 of Rhodys most consistent players this season were walk ons. Too many guys did nothing.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Sure the line struggled but he had great receivers, so we'll call that a wash. And yet I believe he was rated 8th in CAA. I don't see how that translates to the next level. Good luck to him.
Flem thinks Perrantes is ready (not that that makes it so).
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy,
Did URI staff nudge Priore to transfer? Did they tell him he wasn’t a lock for the QB slot for his last year? Possibly Priore was told Perrantes (or any other current or future roster QB) could be the QB next season? I’d guess some type of performance review was given to Priore.
Or did Priore surprise the staff with his plans to transfer?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I don't know if he was told directly or not but it's common knowledge that Perrantes will get his chance next year.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I saw enough of Priore this season to know that I would not go with him next season. I’d prefer to go with a QB with more years of eligibility. Another option would be a FBS Transfer who would be immediately eligible. If Priore stayed, as a Senior, that might keep FBS potential transfers from coming.

At the Family Day game I remember a guy next to me saying our wide receivers always have to come back for the ball because Priore would always underthrow the ball. That’s when it hit me. I remember Parker, Coulter, Frimpong, etc being open long, but having to come back and often would still make the catch on bad throws, but they were such good receivers that they would expect the short throws - they knew what was coming
Opponents scouting us I’m sure saw the same thing and made their own adjustments

Bottom line, a Junior QB with arguably the best wide receiver combination in FCS should not go winless in FCS. Had to make a change in QB imho.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Perrantes did not play because he was not ready per the coaching staff.
When heard that I could not believe it.
I was on the field for Merrimack game which Perrantes started. Coaches Fleming were right and you guys wrong (he was not ready).
Members of this board who do not go to the games also thought Carrick would be All conference (he did not even make All South County).
Again the CAA and Rhody coaches were correct not the non-attendees.
Vito's leaving took coaches by surprise. Three G5 schools minimum contacted him immediately. No surprise there.
Am told by very reliable source 2 assistants are gone and more changes coming. Season ticket holders and donors very unhappy about Vito leaving.
As it is a reflection of the overall situation. Stay tuned.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Foster,
1) This is the same Coaching staff that chose to start Harris over Lawson at QB. Eventually Lawson won the starting QB job but imagine if Lawson had gotten the starting QB job from the beginning as it looks like he should have?
Point being, if the staff missed early on the Lawson vs Harris competition, why should we trust them on whether Perrantes or any other QB is ready or not?

2) I do go to the games

3) You predicted 8 wins in the Preseason Prediction thread, the highest win total of anyone here. We won 2. It sounds like you think very highly of Priore, so where did you miss on your 8 game prediction? And where do you see the team next year?

4) Is Jim Fleming the HC next season?

5) Is Fleming’s son Offensive Coordinator next season?
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

1) Does the coaching staff think Perrantes will be ready next year? Yes.

4) I thought he had already been extended.

5) I would think the changes would be on the defensive side of the ball and recruiting coordinator
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Coniglio leaving for Kent St. seemed to have a huge negative impact on the play of the D line. Just saying.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Ramster-glad to hear.
2. agreed-question talent evaluation.
3. I think next season is an incredible task- 3 wins?
4. Maybe. There is pressure on staffing.
5. There is pressure there for a change.
In fairness to the kid,he was just thrown in there. Calling plays against JMU with no experience is like a putting a 16 year old in the grand prix the same day they get their license.

Bet we know more sooner rather than later.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I think people are getting P5 and Group of 5 mixed up.

Group of 5 schools are conferences under the ACC, PAC-12, SEC, BIG 10, BIG 12.

Group of 5 schools that are those like Boise St, UCF, etc.
0 x
Go Rhody
Brian Forster
ARD

Rhody15-No-P5-=ACC,PAC12,Big10 (Power 5)
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... r-rankings

G5=AAC,CUSA,Sunbelt,etc. (Group of 5)
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... er-5-teams
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Rhody15-No-P5-=ACC,PAC12,Big10 (Power 5)
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... r-rankings

G5=AAC,CUSA,Sunbelt,etc. (Group of 5)
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... er-5-teams
Yes, I listed the correct schools conferences for P5.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not sure where the confusion came from. There are FBS And FCS.
A FBS player can move down to FCS and be immediately eligible. That’s what happened with Harris and Lawson.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We lost 4 games by less than 1 score. Those losses aren’t on Vito. Play calling and coaching cost us more games than Vito did.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Not sure where the confusion came from. There are FBS And FCS.
A FBS player can move down to FCS and be immediately eligible. That’s what happened with Harris and Lawson.
Thamel tweeted Vito is looking to make a make to a Group of 5 team.

Multiple posters were saying they’d be shocked if Vito transferred and play at a Power 5 school, which isn’t what Thamel tweeted.

Vito could most likely compete for a starting job at a Group of 5 school, just like Thamel tweeted.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Not sure where the confusion came from. There are FBS And FCS.
Thamel tweeted Vito is looking to make a make to a Group of 5 team.

Multiple posters were saying they’d be shocked if Vito transferred and play at a Power 5 school, which isn’t what Thamel tweeted.

Vito could most likely compete for a starting job at a Group of 5 school, just like Thamel tweeted.
Ok
Thank you for clarifying
0 x