2020 Football schedule

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Brian Forster
ARD

2020 Football schedule

Unread post by Brian Forster »

https://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl ... 1121ik1z9o

Wonder what happens to fan base after this season?
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Re: 2020 schedule

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

James Madison, Stony Brook, and Delaware leave the rotation.

Villanova, Richmond, and Towson back in.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 2020 Football schedule

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rumor is the Ivy League is looking at canceling all football out of conference games whether they play the season in the fall or spring. We're scheduled to play Brown at home October 3rd
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago Rumor is the Ivy League is looking at canceling all football out of conference games whether they play the season in the fall or spring. We're scheduled to play Brown at home October 3rd
:-(
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago Rumor is the Ivy League is looking at canceling all football out of conference games whether they play the season in the fall or spring. We're scheduled to play Brown at home October 3rd
One of only 2 states with decreasing cases.
Highest per capita testing of all 50 States
In state so travel is easily done

Makes no sense to cancel this game. If you cancel this due to covid then all games should be cancelled.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
One of only 2 states with decreasing cases.
Highest per capita testing of all 50 States
In state so travel is easily done

Makes no sense to cancel this game. If you cancel this due to covid then all games should be cancelled.
I won't second guess the Ivy League again. I remember when they cancelled their conference tournament last year, they were mocked. Turned out they were first, they were right, and everyone else was wrong. I think they see the writing on the wall with COVID, that it will only linger and eventually get stronger as winter comes, and they'd rather not risk slamming a season together (when they have no postseason ramifications anyway) and move it to a time where a vaccine hopefully comes and concern has generally subsided. Smart play on their part.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

I agree. If there are states with decreasing cases, why not have teams in those states play each other, regardless of conference affiliation??
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I think the IVY would approach it differently if they played for the national tournament.

The fact that the highlight of the season for IVY League teams is the IVY Championship means that it really doesn't matter to them when their regular season is played, as long as it's played.

It's different for other teams whose conferences do have an investment in having teams participate in the FCS Tournament and need to follow the NCAA's guidance.

If the tournament is going to be played as normal, those conferences have no choice than to try to put together a schedule that works.
1 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago I think the IVY would approach it differently if they played for the national tournament.

The fact that the highlight of the season for IVY League teams is the IVY Championship means that it really doesn't matter to them when their regular season is played, as long as it's played.

It's different for other teams whose conferences do have an investment in having teams participate in the FCS Tournament and need to follow the NCAA's guidance.

If the tournament is going to be played as normal, those conferences have no choice than to try to put together a schedule that works.
Interesting post! I never knew the Ivy League participated in the FCS Playoffs. But it makes sense because they've fielded some really good teams in recent seasons, but I do not remember them participating. Thank you for this info! :D
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Our October 3rd home football game against Brown is canceled:

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Good bet the entire season will be cancelled.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'd be so pissed if I was a player. Holy crap.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago I'd be so pissed if I was a player. Holy crap.
If you were a player, I'd say to you, "get ready to be pissed."
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

I'm not surprised Ivy canceled season for the fall. There seems to be no resolution to the coronavirus any time soon.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I think there is definitely a growing probability that FCS football suffers the same fate as the Ivy's.

36% of FBS AD's (https://turnto10.com/sports/almost-75-o ... be-delayed) assume a conference-only schedule.

That can have huge ramifications on FCS teams that bring in a haul from the buy-games.

Also have to add in the cost of testing, increasing travel costs due to more distancing, even if the season is played, it's likely to be played at a huge financial loss for pretty much all FCS programs.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Even though there has been no official announcement yet, the September 5 game at Northern Illinois is almost certainly a goner. No buy game revenue will hurt.
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

Looks like the Big Ten is playing conference only games...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ports-fall
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

712FDF6A-3866-48F9-AB1E-FFC17F8F7DE6.png
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RI_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Looks like the Big Ten is playing conference only games...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ports-fall
Doing a quick scan it seems like this only cancels Towson's buy game at Maryland.

It sounds like the ACC could be next in announcing conference games only. That would cancel Delaware's game at NC State, Elon's game at Duke, James Madison's game at North Carolina, Richmond's game at Pitt, and Villanova's game at Wake Forest.

It also appears that with conferences getting rid of non-conference games that Notre Dame will slot in with the ACC this year. They're already losing their game against Wisconsin at Green Bay, but six of their games this year are against ACC teams.

This is a really bad time for UConn and UMass. UConn lost games at Illinois and vs. Indiana. I wouldn't be surprised if both teams cancel their season no matter what
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Norte Dame is a quasi-member school for football anyways. By the terms of the agreement which governs their membership for other sports, they play 6 ACC opponents every year on a rotating, home-and-home basis. The speculation is that if they end up losing non-con games against other teams from conferences following the B1G example, they would back fill their schedule with games against other ACC and independent programs that have also lost non-con games due to these rules.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago Norte Dame is a quasi-member school for football anyways. By the terms of the agreement which governs their membership for other sports, they play 6 ACC opponents every year on a rotating, home-and-home basis. The speculation is that if they end up losing non-con games against other teams from conferences following the B1G example, they would back fill their schedule with games against other ACC and independent programs that have also lost non-con games due to these rules.
Yes, you're right. Technically, ND is Independent for football, but due to their affiliation with the ACC for most of their other sports - basketball, volleyball, soccer, track/field, etc. - they play 5-6 games against ACC foes every year. I imagine you are correct. ND will lose all its football games against non-ACC opponents (BC, Stanford, USC, etc.), but they may play more ACC teams in replacement? Though I can't imagine the conference would let them be a "member" for this year and let them participate in the conference championship game, if applicable.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

BC has become an ACC team theoretically
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago BC has become an ACC team theoretically
Do you mean ND?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

No, BC is in the ACC but you listed them among Notre Dame’s non-ACC opponents. They used to play BC not every year but close to it, but they don’t anymore. Because BC is in the ACC, they play them with the same frequency as they play all the other ACC teams.
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

You are right. Being that it's a rivalry game, I was thinking there were more frequent meetings. After looking it up, the game is not every year, not even every other year..
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yup I knew what you were saying. Just another of the consequences of all of the massive realignment that happened a few years ago.
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

Rumor has the SEC and B12 are negotiating games with each other...
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Unofficial reports that the CAA will make an official statement on Friday canceling the conference football season. The hint was that each school could pursue an independent schedule if it so chooses.
I hope this isn’t a cancellation for the entire academic year and they attempt to hold it in the spring.
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

Sounds like it is a subtle move to follow the Ivy League.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

There are a lot of people who don't support playing spring football.

I think some of the logic on that is the wear and tear on players playing two full football seasons in the span of 8-9 months, plus the fact if you had a kid suffer a 6-9 month injury game 1 of the spring, it'd almost be a guaranteed loss of two seasons of football.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

But if you don't play Spring Football then all of those players lose a year of College Football. Think about the Seniors whose Career is gone - never to play College Football again.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

It depends - I would like to think that if no football is played (or seasons are heavily interrupted) there would be a COVID exemption, similar to spring sports last year where they all received a waiver to play an additional year. So even the redshirt baseball senior who normally would have exhausted his eligibility could come back and play next season if he wanted.

It would be interesting to see how it would play out if most conferences cancelled their seasons but a few recklessly played.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Doesn’t help the Seniors who graduate and are off to the working world. The vast majority are not going to just hang around a year after graduating just to play an extra Civid-19 Football year. Not reality.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Doesn’t help the Seniors who graduate and are off to the working world. The vast majority are not going to just hang around a year after graduating just to play an extra Civid-19 Football year. Not reality.
If my next move was the working world, I think I would be more excited about the chance of going to school for a free year towards my masters, deferring the real world for an extra year of football, college experience, etc.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Doesn’t help the Seniors who graduate and are off to the working world. The vast majority are not going to just hang around a year after graduating just to play an extra Civid-19 Football year. Not reality.
If my next move was the working world, I think I would be more excited about the chance of going to school for a free year towards my masters, deferring the real world for an extra year of football, college experience, etc.
If you wanted to get your masters. Everybody's life had different priorities.
These kids want to play football this season, not next season.
In addition, if everyone were to stay on fore an additional year then you would have 5 years worth of players on a roster - so those who stay over would force other players to NOT be able to play. It's not a win- win for everybody.

As Brian Foster just posted on another thread, the A10 has a well thought out plan with options, unlike some of what the other conferences are putting out there

https://theathletic.com/1935036/2020/07 ... earn-from/
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I would like to think that, if they do end up playing football in the spring, I'll take it. I understand that it could be challenging on teams, players, etc...they'd need to figure out if they could actually make it work or not. If it moves to spring, that'll be just extra...football and baseball at the same time... "That's too much sports," said no fan ever.
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

I think the issue is, if there is no season period, players lose a year of eligibility, as ramster stated. Most D1 football are on scholarships, and the school has to pay it even if they don't play. So, the athletes are out a year and the school is out money. Even if there is a waiver or "special scenario" the school is still losing out by paying the scholarship.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

When was the last time we had a non-losing season?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 3 years ago If you wanted to get your masters. Everybody's life had different priorities.
I agree, but how many basketball players grad transfer, versus saying "Time to hit the working/professional world."?

Being a grad transfer is working towards your masters, and even if you don't value that degree, you get the extra year of eligibility to play the sport you love.

I think you'd find in such a scenario, many players would want to play the extra year.

That said, there are holes in such a plan -- mainly the expense to the school of giving out those scholarships, as well as burden it could have on the roster.

But I think you are pulling a bait and switch here -- Your initial statement was "All of those players lose a year of college football," which my point was there will absolutely be a waiver there to give them that year back, and then you switched it into players who would elect to go to work, that led me down a different rabbit hole.

Point being - If season cancelled, there will be waivers. Does player want waiver? Different story.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago If you wanted to get your masters. Everybody's life had different priorities.
I agree, but how many basketball players grad transfer, versus saying "Time to hit the working/professional world."?

Being a grad transfer is working towards your masters, and even if you don't value that degree, you get the extra year of eligibility to play the sport you love.

I think you'd find in such a scenario, many players would want to play the extra year.

That said, there are holes in such a plan -- mainly the expense to the school of giving out those scholarships, as well as burden it could have on the roster.

But I think you are pulling a bait and switch here -- Your initial statement was "All of those players lose a year of college football," which my point was there will absolutely be a waiver there to give them that year back, and then you switched it into players who would elect to go to work, that led me down a different rabbit hole.

Point being - If season cancelled, there will be waivers. Does player want waiver? Different story.
I was referring to football, not basketball.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I used the grad-transfer as the example of a player who finishes 4 years of school and comes back for an extra year, even if they don't care about their masters.

You could say the same thing about any other red-shirt or transfer. How many of them say "I went to school for four years, I got my degree, I'm not going back for year 5, I need to go to work in the real-world?"
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago When was the last time we had a non-losing season?
2018 we went 6-5.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago I used the grad-transfer as the example of a player who finishes 4 years of school and comes back for an extra year, even if they don't care about their masters.

You could say the same thing about any other red-shirt or transfer. How many of them say "I went to school for four years, I got my degree, I'm not going back for year 5, I need to go to work in the real-world?"
No idea
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago I used the grad-transfer as the example of a player who finishes 4 years of school and comes back for an extra year, even if they don't care about their masters.

No idea
If they don't plan on going pro, then you're probably right. If they want to play sports professionally, their final year of eligibility can help, depending on how you look at it. Sometimes football players and basketball players come back.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

No idea
I don't know the exact percentage either, point being that we are both fans of college basketball, to a lesser extent college football, and there are probably very few (if any) players we can think of who voluntarily left school after 4 years to go to work (excludes professional athletic opportunities) when they had more eligibility left to play college athletics.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: ↑2 hours ago
When was the last time we had a non-losing season?

This is classic and typical.
The lack of familiarity on this board to URI FB and hoops is nothing short of amazing.
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

The coaches will encourage kids they don't want back to leave.
Most would stay provided they have playing time and scholarship $$.
The immediate work place is typically not that exciting for college grads,right now its terrible.
0 x