11/9 | #7 Maryland | 9:00PM (FS1)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

11/9 | #7 Maryland | 9:00PM (FS1)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs University of Maryland
XFINITY Center, College Park, MD
Saturday, November 9, 2019
9:00PM

Media
TV: FS1
Online: FS1 Online
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or iHeart Radio App

Previews:
Maryland Fan Site on 247 Sports
Another Maryland Fan Site on 247 Sports
Yet Another Maryland Fan Site

This is the second time in 4 years URI is playing a top 10 Maryland team. The last time they played them it was in Cancun and they were ranked #2 in the country. This game will certainly be a test for Rams as this is by far the toughest game on the schedule. Going into the #7 team in the country’s home court and stealing out a win will need an almost perfect game from every player on the team. With that being said, to quote Kevin Garnett…ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!! Go Rhody!

Opponent
Record:
1-0, 0-0 in the Big Ten
Last season: 23-11, 13-7 in the Big Ten

Rankings:
RPI: 25 (Last Season)
KenPom: 17
NCAA NET: 25 (Last Season)

Leaders :
Points – Jalen Smith, 16.0 (Soph., F)
Rebounds – Jalen Smith, 11.0 (Soph., F)
Assists – Anthony Cowan Jr, 5.0 (Sr., G) (2.0 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 1-3
H: 0-0, A: 0-2, N: 1-1
Most Recent Matchup: 11/25/15 86-63 L in Cancun
Most Recent Win Streak: 3 – Maryland
Matchup Predictor: 22.4% Chance of URI Winning
Last edited by spookydog 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/9 | #7 Maryland | 9:00PM (FS1)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This one is a toughie. If the game was here, I'd give us a puncher's chance.

If we can hang with them, and be in the game late, that will do wonders for this team's confidence, not just help justify early season expectations.

I don't expect Jacob to go 11 and 7...this isn't LIU....but we'll see.

Harris disappears again...you have to wonder what is going on there.

Going to be quite the experience for the younger players.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Last night Maryland scored 64 points in the paint. Shot 49% from the floor and 18% from 3 (5 for 27). They went to the line 24 times and shot 67%. HC got to the lane 5 times. Maryland out rebounded HC 47 to 33. We will have our work to do.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we had a functional JH we could maybe limit their inside game.

Same old same old, Cyril needs help. Just like last year.

This is where having Walker would help.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago If we had a functional JH we could maybe limit their inside game.

Same old same old, Cyril needs help. Just like last year.

This is where having Walker would help.

And Sheppard.....
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Yep, this is a game where another scorer (Sheppard) and another athletic big (Walker) would undoubtedly help. Regardless of what they were bringing in just their 2nd games in Rhody blue it would be a much better option than 2 freshmen. But it is what it is. Next man up.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......Team Rankings gives us 12% to win.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ......Team Rankings gives us 12% to win.....
Wow...much higher than I expected.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
spookydog
Tom Garrick

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
ESPN's Basketball Power Index has it at 22.4%
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Can we stop with what we hoped we had in Jermaine Harris. What he is, and what he was portrayed as, our worlds apart. He was ranked in the top 100 but he is nowhere near that status from an athletic or skill stand point. All three of this years freshman show more potential then he has shown. He is a sub par athlete that everybody tried to convince us was due to injury last year. He is just not athletic in any way, shape or form. He is slow off his feet and lacks any type of hops. I hate bagging on this kid, but it is the reality of the situation.

The best hope for Jermaine and Rhode Island is that he becomes a face up four. He has good size and a good shooting form that certainly has not translated yet but I could see that becoming a strength. But to expect to him to score in the low post, or guard the low post with any success, I just do not think he is capable of doing that. He did not do it last year, did not do it against RIC, and did not do it last night.

But Jacob Toppin was a revelation last night. He has the combined length and athletic ability that you do not see often in the A10. I will be very surprised if he does not become a special player at Rhode Island, and this is just not based on one game. I also like what I see from Long. You cannot judge players by box scores alone. He does a lot of things on the basketball court that do not show up in the box score, ala Marcus Smart. I am not saying he is Marcus Smart, just that the box score does not give a player like Long due justice. And Hammond has good size and athleticism for his position which is a nice place to start. He is just a little raw, but I would certainly play him five to ten minutes each and every night to develop him. Plus they need him as I do not see anybody else on the roster capable of being a combo guard.

Flying out Friday to watch this game in person with my brother. Honestly, do not expect much, just hope it not a flat out blow out. Would love to be wrong.
6 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

His strength in high school was as a face up shooter. His numbers were good due to playing against much smaller players. In D1, that advantage is gone.

You're right on all accounts.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

What I don't get about Harris is he played in.a highly regarded region. How could he dominate there and be such an enormous disappointment to date here?
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

spookydog wrote: 4 years ago
ESPN's Basketball Power Index has it at 22.4%
Just so all bases are covered, KenPom has it at 15%
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I hope they play up to the competition and make it a real barn burner. Sometimes these LIU types make the rams play down to their competition level (we’re not Kansas I know) but for a nationally televised game at college park, they’re gonna be pumped up.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Time to compete and show HEART !

Let’s go RHODY !
1 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Does anyone know if there is a URI sponsored Pre-Game event in the College Park area??
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

URIFIJI wrote: 4 years ago Does anyone know if there is a URI sponsored Pre-Game event in the College Park area??
.......check the Foundation/Alumni site......doubt it......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Got my 7 tickets last night and going down Friday afternoon. Time for a coming out party for Harris to show us all what we have been waiting for from him.
3 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

4Diffs wrote: 4 years ago Can we stop with what we hoped we had in Jermaine Harris. What he is, and what he was portrayed as, our worlds apart. He was ranked in the top 100 but he is nowhere near that status from an athletic or skill stand point. All three of this years freshman show more potential then he has shown. He is a sub par athlete that everybody tried to convince us was due to injury last year. He is just not athletic in any way, shape or form. He is slow off his feet and lacks any type of hops. I hate bagging on this kid, but it is the reality of the situation.

The best hope for Jermaine and Rhode Island is that he becomes a face up four. He has good size and a good shooting form that certainly has not translated yet but I could see that becoming a strength. But to expect to him to score in the low post, or guard the low post with any success, I just do not think he is capable of doing that. He did not do it last year, did not do it against RIC, and did not do it last night.

But Jacob Toppin was a revelation last night. He has the combined length and athletic ability that you do not see often in the A10. I will be very surprised if he does not become a special player at Rhode Island, and this is just not based on one game. I also like what I see from Long. You cannot judge players by box scores alone. He does a lot of things on the basketball court that do not show up in the box score, ala Marcus Smart. I am not saying he is Marcus Smart, just that the box score does not give a player like Long due justice. And Hammond has good size and athleticism for his position which is a nice place to start. He is just a little raw, but I would certainly play him five to ten minutes each and every night to develop him. Plus they need him as I do not see anybody else on the roster capable of being a combo guard.

Flying out Friday to watch this game in person with my brother. Honestly, do not expect much, just hope it not a flat out blow out. Would love to be wrong.
Agree on all this stuff. Long made a few really smart/nice plays in the first half. And we really just need to calm down on Jermaine. Bashing the crap out of him in every thread is getting old. I think he may actually be a 5, with stretch possibilities. Not sure he's quick enough to play the four.
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Obviously. Cox is committed to Harris - he started him last year and so far this year. Does Cox see something in practice that isn't translating to game play? Did Cox make a commitment to Harris in recruiting him to URI? We need a body at PF and at this point I'm thinking that it may be Dana or we wait until Dec 21st when Walker is eligible. Let's see if Jermaine shows up to play in College Park which is near his home.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Okay, so everyone is down on Harris practically, giving the impression that he did nothing last season and in the one game this season. Sure, last
season he had many unproductive games scoring 5 or less and often 2 points , but lest we forget he scored 15 , 11 twice , 9 , 8 , and 6 5 times . He
was very inconsistent as were mos of the freshmen . they were Freshmen . I think we need to allow Harris a few more games before we give up on him
as a total bust . Don't agree that he isn't athletic or that he is slow . He seems to never get the benefit of any officiating so far as well . not sure why
unless it is his size that makes him stand out to the refs. Last season I saw many questionable calls made against him that were puzzling. I think he
needs a good game to boost his confidence and if he is truly healthy I think he will be fine then.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Harris does show out well guarding the screen away from the basket

Be nice if he could ever hit a couple shots early to get his confidence up

I am not ready to give up on him either but he needs to start giving us something if we want to dance
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I would like to see him average a minimum of 25 minutes, six points, and six rebounds a game. If he can average those numbers, I will be satisfied.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I think it was the Brown game last year when he scored 15 points on a variety of inside and outside shots. I remember saying to my buddy how excited I was that we had a big who could shoot like that. I wonder why he couldn't build on that performance. Hope he can get back to that level consistently.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Way too early to give up on a big one game into his sophomore year. It's not like he hasn't shown us flashes when things are clicking. He had a great game against Brown. I remember at VCU he was one of the only guys that showed up. I've never seen a kid have some many 50/50 plays and calls never go his way. I still love his upside on the offensive end and expect him to be a big piece before he graduates.

I head to Maryland tomorrow. Go Rhody!!!
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago I would like to see him average a minimum of 25 minutes, six points, and six rebounds a game. If he can average those numbers, I will be satisfied.
i think those are very reasonable expectations for this year.

I had going into the season that if JH could double his production from last year (4 pts / 3 rbs) to average 8 pts/6 rbs this year I'd be pleased with that
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe he plays well @ Maryland against better competition God knows we need his size and body to compete
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I hope we show up better than the last time we played them.
0 x
Dowtinsavestheworld
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Dowtinsavestheworld »

What is the highest ranked opponent we have ever beaten in regular season?
Go Rams!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Dowtinsavestheworld wrote: 4 years ago What is the highest ranked opponent we have ever beaten in regular season?
Go Rams!
Great question. Would be interested to know. I know we have beaten some A10 foes ranked in the 20s in season and nearly knocked of St. Joe's when they were #1 in 2004, but off the top of my head I'm coming up empty.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
URIFIJI wrote: 4 years ago Does anyone know if there is a URI sponsored Pre-Game event in the College Park area??
.......check the Foundation/Alumni site......doubt it......
Let’s plan our own...who else is going? We will be there!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Dowtinsavestheworld wrote: 4 years ago What is the highest ranked opponent we have ever beaten in regular season?
Go Rams!
When I was in school, we beat San Francisco, who were loaded and led by Bill Cartwright. I can't remember what their ranking was, but it was high. I think they were #1 at some point during that season but not sure if they were #1 when we played them.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
steviep123
Sly Williams

Go Rams!
Great question. Would be interested to know. I know we have beaten some A10 foes ranked in the 20s in season and nearly knocked of St. Joe's when they were #1 in 2004, but off the top of my head I'm coming up empty.
Was just listening to the coach's show from the other night and Steve McDonald mentioned the last time they beat a top 10 team in the regular season was in 1966 - they beat then #9 PC at PC's Alumni Hall. That doesn't answer the question necessarily as they could have beaten someone higher before that. Maybe in Keaney's years?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ah, back then you could throw out the rankings when we played PC....I can remember several times we beat them [and sometimes by a lot] when we were big underdogs. Of course it happened the other way around too, but not nearly as much. [We weren't favored that often lol]

Nowadays, form holds much more often, sad to say.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, I just looked it up. When we beat San Francisco in '77, they were ranked #19.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Not completely relevant, but the Oklahoma team we defeated in the 18' NCAAs was ranked #5 in the country? at one point that season.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Now the post season is a different story with wins over #9 Syracuse in '88, #3 Purdue in '93 and #2 Kansas in '98.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Maryland is #1 in Country when looking at combined rankings for both teams.

1 -- Maryland
Rankings: AP No. 7 (men), AP No. 4 (women)

Men: With Jalen Smith and Anthony Cowan Jr. leading the way, Mark Turgeon possesses one of his best rosters, a team with a chance to compete with Michigan State in the Big Ten race. The Terps beat a mid-major Holy Cross squad, 95-71, in their debut, while displaying the balance that could lead to a run in March. Six players recorded nine or more points in the win. -- Myron Medcalf
Women: The Terps return all five starters, led by senior and preseason All-American Kaila Charles, and are expected to be the titans of the Big Ten again. They have a strong freshman class, too, and coach Brenda Frese expects them to contribute right away. Maryland should be really hungry after a disappointing end to last season. The Terps lost in the Big Ten tournament final, and then they fell at home in the second round of the NCAA tournament. -- Mechelle Voepel

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... oops-ranks
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Now the post season is a different story with wins over #9 Syracuse in '88, #3 Purdue in '93 and #2 Kansas in '98.
Kansas was #1. Syracuse was #3 and Purdue was #9. Might as well add #6 Creighton in 2017.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Now the post season is a different story with wins over #9 Syracuse in '88, #3 Purdue in '93 and #2 Kansas in '98.
Kansas was #1. Syracuse was #3 and Purdue was #9.
Were those their rankings when we played them?
Kansas was a #1 Seed when we beat them in 1998 NCAA Tournament but I thought they were #2 ranked AP Nationally.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Have we played at College Park since the 1979 NIT game?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Kansas was #1. Syracuse was #3 and Purdue was #9.
Were those their rankings when we played them?
Kansas was a #1 Seed when we beat them in 1998 NCAA Tournament but I thought they were #2 ranked AP Nationally.
I think Duke was #1, Kansas was #2 or #3??
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/se ... polls.html
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Kansas was #1. Syracuse was #3 and Purdue was #9. Might as well add #6 Creighton in 2017.
Creighton was the 6th seed in 2017 and Purdue the 9 seed in '93..that wasn't their rankings. Syracuse was a 3 seed I think in 88. Again, tourney seed is not equal to overall ranking.

If memory serves, I think Kansas was the overall #1 seed in 1998, though I'm not 100% positive. I don't know if that necessarily means that the AP or whoever had them as the #1 ranked team.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Creighton was the 6th seed in 2017 and Purdue the 9 seed in '93..that wasn't their rankings. Syracuse was a 3 seed I think in 88. Again, tourney seed is not equal to overall ranking.

If memory serves, I think Kansas was the overall #1 seed in 1998, though I'm not 100% positive. I don't know if that necessarily means that the AP or whoever had them as the #1 ranked team.
Yes, Kansas was the #1 seed in 1998, but ranked Nationally #2 as Billyboy accurately stated.

Subject is about National Poll Rankings, not NCAA Tournament Seedings.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I believe Billyboy was talking about seeds
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

For everyone disagreeing with my post about rankings, you'd better bring it up with whoever writes this...
https://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/index
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago For everyone disagreeing with my post about rankings, you'd better bring it up with whoever writes this...
https://gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/index
Scroll down to "All-time vs. ranked opponents.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No. Billyboy was talking about San Francisco as the subject was the highest ranked team we have ever beaten - related to us playing Maryland tomorrow.
Billyboy remembered SanFrancisco back when they had Bill Cartwright, Winfred Boynes And James Hardy. San Francisco was loaded back then

Kansas was #1 Seed in the NCAA Tournament but was never ranked #1 in AP Polls that year.

I’m pretty sure Billyboy was talking National Ranking only.
0 x