What's up with Sheppard?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

What's up with Sheppard?

Unread post by luke »

I see a thread on Walker and his eligibility , but is this the case for Sheppard who did not play against RIC or is there an injury or other issue ?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: What's up with Sheppard ?

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The Walker thread has a lot of information on Sheppard. His academic eligibility is in question.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Thanks 83
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Might as well run with two threads, though, since it sounds like they're unconnected cases.
3 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago Might as well run with two threads, though, since it sounds like they're unconnected cases.
The only connection is URI and the corrupt organization holding up the process. :roll:
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Not sure how corrupt it is, but the NCAA is certainly incompetent.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Notice anything about this poster?
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

If it’s a grades thing then I’m not sure the NCAA is at fault here. There are standards that need to be met and if he didn’t meet them then he shouldn’t play right? I’m sure it’s a gray area but not ready to condemn the NCAA quite yet. It would definitely suck if he can’t play. We will be very thin in the backcourt
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

@rhodymbb quickly revised the poster tweeted. First poster was missing Sheppard.
Now he is in the update

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago If it’s a grades thing then I’m not sure the NCAA is at fault here. There are standards that need to be met and if he didn’t meet them then he shouldn’t play right? I’m sure it’s a gray area but not ready to condemn the NCAA quite yet. It would definitely suck if he can’t play. We will be very thin in the backcourt
Agree. Not sure what the waiver request would even be for.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago @rhodymbb quickly revised the poster tweeted. First poster was missing Sheppard.
Now he is in the update

I wouldn’t say that’s a coincidence.

I don’t think we see him this year.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago If it’s a grades thing then I’m not sure the NCAA is at fault here. There are standards that need to be met and if he didn’t meet them then he shouldn’t play right? I’m sure it’s a gray area but not ready to condemn the NCAA quite yet. It would definitely suck if he can’t play. We will be very thin in the backcourt
But the fact it’s taken this long to straighten out academics is pretty pathetic on all parties involved.
1 x
Go Rhody
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

IMO in the case of grades it’s up to the school and the player to get their ducks in a row in a timely fashion.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......is it as simple as the previous credits earned were in sum not worthy of the NCAA “standards”.......?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Is Rhody able to use a redshirt if he’s academically ineligible?
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I would imagine it’s not a question of whether his GPA is high enough or whatever. That’s a pretty objective thing. If they’re waiting for a ruling from the NCAA, it is likely a question of whether certain credits that he has obtained at his various stops are acceptable for whatever purpose, and that could require a review of the course syllabus and other things that actually require more effort and more subjectivity than just whether a 2.3 is higher or lower than a 2.0.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago Is Rhody able to use a redshirt if he’s academically ineligible?
Don’t believe so - believe the rule is you get 5 years to play four seasons. Could apply for a 6th season but those are typically only given due to injuries.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Just to try and clear this up (because I'm confused)
This does not have to do with GPA.
This has to do with credits from JuCo?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Just to try and clear this up (because I'm confused)
This does not have to do with GPA.
This has to do with credits from JuCo?
Nothing official, but that does seem to be the scuttlebutt, yes. Like, if he was failing his summer classes, I kind of doubt he'd be out there with the team and what not.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I believe he was ruled academically ineligible by the NCAA Clearinghouse and Sheppard/URI appealed the ruling.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I believe he was ruled academically ineligible by the NCAA Clearinghouse and Sheppard/URI appealed the ruling.
What would cause him or any player to be academically ineligible?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I don’t think Sheppard graduated from the JUCO he attended. So he probably is classified as a two year transfer. Then the question is was he a “Qualifier” or “Nonqualifier”? There are requirements for each. They include the number of credits you need to have completed (based on the number of semesters). They can include a minimum number of core/general ed credits in English, Math & Science. Remember that from your college years? It also requires a minimum GPA (either 2.5 or 2.0).

Here is an NCAA link.
http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-i-tw ... quirements
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I believe he was ruled academically ineligible by the NCAA Clearinghouse and Sheppard/URI appealed the ruling.
TP's post earlier in the thread: " I would imagine it’s not a question of whether his GPA is high enough or whatever. That’s a pretty objective thing. If they’re waiting for a ruling from the NCAA, it is likely a question of whether certain credits that he has obtained at his various stops are acceptable for whatever purpose, and that could require a review of the course syllabus and other things that actually require more effort and more subjectivity than just whether a 2.3 is higher or lower than a 2.0."
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

........like The History of Sports 101 may not be an acceptable course/credit......?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
TP's post earlier in the thread: " I would imagine it’s not a question of whether his GPA is high enough or whatever. That’s a pretty objective thing. If they’re waiting for a ruling from the NCAA, it is likely a question of whether certain credits that he has obtained at his various stops are acceptable for whatever purpose, and that could require a review of the course syllabus and other things that actually require more effort and more subjectivity than just whether a 2.3 is higher or lower than a 2.0."

Which still doesnt make sense since he is ENROLLED in the school, so what the hell are they worried about?

How can he have enough credits for URI, but not the NCAA?
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago

Which still doesnt make sense since he is ENROLLED in the school, so what the hell are they worried about?

How can he have enough credits for URI, but not the NCAA?
That's what I'm not understanding. If his GPA is above 2.0 (or 2.5 whatever the threshold is) and he is currently enrolled at URI as a full time student, then what is there to make a decision on?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm guessing his academic record wasn't exactly stellar at his JC, plus what were his grades this summer here?

Actually, concerning his JC grades, it's not a guess. They sucked...and I heard that he failed at least a couple of courses.

How he even got into school here, was a stretch.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......I hoped/thought we had moved on from recruits that are marginal on this type of academic jeopardy.......no?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The academic threshold for a D1 athlete transferring is higher than URI’s threshold to enroll.
It was thought that Sheppard had reach the threshold after the first summer session. Evidently that was not correct according to the NCAA Clearinghouse.
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Damn. Not expected to play this season. Brutal.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Ok so the season is off to a horrible start.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

His grades are THAT bad where even if he got a 4.0 this semester he wouldn't be eligible for next semester?
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The Sheppard issue was a mistake by Cox. You can’t afford to take a player who hasn’t qualified when you only have two Gs on the roster with experience. He should’ve taken another JUCO or Post Grad. The mistake was compounded by not using the open scholarship when you had two players who needed an exception to the rules in order to be able to play. With Sheppard you have just used up two years of a scholarship for one year of play.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

So sheppard will only have his senior year left of eligibility at uri. Which would be next year and that's it right?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

What are the chances he ever plays a game for us at this point?
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

50/50.

Gregory Hammond just became this year's Omar Silverio. Baptism by fire. Hopefully, he makes the most of his minutes.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......hope he can defend......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......hope he can defend......
Hammond is better than Omar and he can defend. Could see minutes to rest Jeff or Fatts and just play solid D.
Tyrese is going to play minutes at SG to rest Jeff and Fatts. I could see Hamond getting 5 mins/game.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Hammond played 12 minutes against RIC and scored 2 points on free throws (50% FT). Sheppard was supposed to be our 3 pt guy.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Hammond played 12 minutes against RIC and scored 2 points on free throws (50% FT). Sheppard was supposed to be our 3 pt guy.
The loss of Sheppard and Walker will most likely create these line ups to rest Jeff and Fatts and Cyril and Jermaine

Rest Jeff or Fatts (one will be in the game at all times)
Jeff or Fatts at PG
Tyrese at SG
Dana at SF
Cyril C
Jermaine PF

Rest Cyril or Jermaine
Jeff
Fatts
Tyrese SF
Dana or Mehki PF
Cyril or Jermsine C

I can see DJ getting some sub minutes at SF particularly if Dana is playing PF (foul trouble upfront)

8 man rotation with heavy minutes for the top 6
Jeff
Fatts
Tyrese
Cyril
Jermaine
Dana
Mekhi
DJ
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Agree
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Hammond played 12 minutes against RIC and scored 2 points on free throws (50% FT). Sheppard was supposed to be our 3 pt guy.
The loss of Sheppard and Walker will most likely create these line ups to rest Jeff and Fatts and Cyril and Jermaine

Rest Jeff or Fatts (one will be in the game at all times)
Jeff or Fatts at PG
Tyrese at SG
Dana at SF
Cyril C
Jermaine PF

Rest Cyril or Jermaine
Jeff
Fatts
Tyrese SF
Dana or Mehki PF
Cyril or Jermsine C

I can see DJ getting some sub minutes at SF particularly if Dana is playing PF (foul trouble upfront)

8 man rotation with heavy minutes for the top 6
Jeff
Fatts
Tyrese
Cyril
Jermaine
Dana
Mekhi
DJ
I remember when u said I was nuts for saying Tyrese would get minutes at SG this year. With or without Sheppard that was going to happen. But now it definitely will.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I thought Sheppard was going to be on the team getting 15-20 minutes per game.
It isn’t ideal for Tyrese to be playing SG. I don’t know if you noticed but Rhody now has zero Guards with experience behind Jeff and Fatts.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Tyrese is like JT.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago The Sheppard issue was a mistake by Cox. You can’t afford to take a player who hasn’t qualified when you only have two Gs on the roster with experience. He should’ve taken another JUCO or Post Grad. The mistake was compounded by not using the open scholarship when you had two players who needed an exception to the rules in order to be able to play. With Sheppard you have just used up two years of a scholarship for one year of play.

Agree on this. Cox took a huge risk and now we are extremely thin at guard. Yes Tyrese will have to play the two. Not sure if he will be able to defend quicker guards. We are also now thin at PF/CTR and we will need to use Tate/Long/Toppin in that spot thru December. To me the guard spot is the far bigger problem. Cox should have covered himself on this. He must have known there was some risk with Sheppard, or he received incredibly bad advise from his staff. This is not good at all.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I thought Sheppard was going to be on the team getting 15-20 minutes per game.
It isn’t ideal for Tyrese to be playing SG. I don’t know if you noticed but Rhody now has zero Guards with experience behind Jeff and Fatts.
It’s not ideal but his future professionally is as a SG and I do believe he is a kid who thinks he can play at next level. And yes I’ve noticed our depth, or lack thereof, it’s turned this season into a big question mark. With Rhody football we snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with rhody hoops nothing is ever easy.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I don't know. I never put much stock in juco transfers or players who scored 2.6 pts and 1.2 rebounds. Maybe just me. Doesn't affect me going into this season.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......’October Depth’.......show me a core group that defends, has good shot selection, shoots free throws, plays within the team framework, and we will go to war......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

But he wasn’t your typical Juco, he played an entire season of AAC ball and made their all rookie team, he was a bucket getter on a team that at times struggles for baskets. He was a solution to a problem, now he isn’t.
Last edited by bigappleram 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x