NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NBA

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

This is a fascinating story to me...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/278 ... yers-china

In this article, it mentions:
During the meeting with the players, sources said, Silver was directly asked whether anything would happen to Morey, as several players said they believed that if a player had cost the NBA millions of dollars because of a tweet, there would be repercussions.

...which is wild because...if you expected any players from any league to stand up for folk they felt were being oppressed (as Morey did)...it would be the NBA. Apparently, freedom-fighting and standing up for the oppressed has a price tag beyond what the NBA is willing to spend. The next totally awesome thing that could happen here is if this resulted in a reduction to the salary cap... could get interesting. Waiting for LeBron to either come down on Morey's position, or agree with him, but expecting neither.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: NBA

Unread post by bigappleram »

Nike pulled all houston rockets merch from their stores in China, their 2nd biggest market. The epitome of woke capitalism, you can only be woke when it won’t cost you money. Apparently the NBA players and Nike care about social justice, but only in the US and only if it makes them money.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Nike pulled all houston rockets merch from their stores in China, their 2nd biggest market. The epitome of woke capitalism, you can only be woke when it won’t cost you money. Apparently the NBA players and Nike care about social justice, but only in the US and only if it makes them money.
I'm sure the NBA cares about justice in China, but only to the point where the money isn't recoverable elsewhere (in this case, it isn't). In fairness, they're not the only business who's wokeness can be shushed for a price...they're just the most vocal woke and the one that happened to have a big mouth rebel run off the reservation. Apple, The Google, etc are also woke, but they just take the hush money and keep it on the down low re: China. Morey must've lost his playbook or something.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I guess I just "woke" up, by googling it. Sad to say this old fart hadn't really picked up on the term previously. Hopefully I'm not alone.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago I guess I just "woke" up, by googling it. Sad to say this old fart hadn't really picked up on the term previously. Hopefully I'm not alone.
Condolences ....Now, there's no way you can "un-know" that...not sure how old you are, but sounds like you've had a pretty good run.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It's an annoying word UCH, that I overused to make the point. You can exist just fine without it in your life :)
0 x