Good place near NYC for a young recent grad (single female) to find a reasonably priced place to rent?

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Good place near NYC for a young recent grad (single female) to find a reasonably priced place to rent?

Unread post by EGram »

So my sister graduated from URI in 2018. After moving out to LA and not finding anything she got a nice job with a firm recruiting for tech companies located in Manhattan. Very much her dream location. We are all so proud of her. She's having trouble finding a place to live I know we have some people on here very familiar with the area and likely some who did something similar Ie: graduate from URI then move to NYC. So, i figured it would be a good place to ask!

Now my father grew up in Larchmont and both he and my mom lived around that general area until they moved to RI But that was 25 years ago. i went to school in New Rochelle at Iona so i know the area somewhat. But i mostly only know the residential area in New Rochelle and Larchmont.

She's only making 40k a year and has no car. So it has to be pretty cheap for the area and near the train/subway.

I suggested Stamford but she doesn't want to live there. However her first idea of finding some amazing, cheap hipster pad in Brooklyn was quickly dashed when she actually went to the locations she could barely afford in Brooklyn and realized the areas were very bad area's. . My father suggested Larchmont but i think he doesn't realize how high the rent will be there. New Rochelle was my suggestion but he thinks it's too dangerous for a single girl. A quick search shows the rent in new Rochelle is pretty high also now.

So were kind of at a stalemate. but she really wants to live in the area and make it work. So if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: Good place near NYC for a young recent grad (single female) to find a reasonably priced place to rent?

Unread post by steviep123 »

I was going to suggest Brooklyn. My wife's 2 nieces lived there for a time when they first moved to NYC. Is she open to having roommates? She might want to look through ads for a roommate and save some cash.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Good place near NYC for a young recent grad (single female) to find a reasonably priced place to rent?

Unread post by Rhody74 »

My daughter lived there after college and got a job teaching. Only way she could afford it was having a roommate.
Last edited by Rhody74 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Thanks guys. yeah i spent most of yesterday looking at everyplace around Westchester county i could think of and it's unreal the prices. At least in London the prices fall off once you get outside inner London and again in the suburbs outside greater London.

I think she's got little choice but to find a roommate and soon.
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

My brother and his wife aren't extravagantly paid and found a studio-size (400-450 s.f.) place across the street from Van Cordlandt Park in the Bronx. Pretty nice area, and a short walk from the last stop on the 1 Train. However, this was a purchase and if your sister needs to rent due to limited credit history as a recent graduate I'm not sure how high these run.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I know a few people who are in the Hoboken/Jersey City area, but that is most likely too pricy.

Roommate sounds like it’s the way to go. When I graduated from URI I knew of people who were paying $1100 for a 2br in Brooklyn but this is before the hipsters moved in and ruined that for everyone. Good luck to your sister, I certainly can sympathize with the struggle of finding a place.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Anything in Westchester that is walking distance to a trainstation is gonna be upwards of 1500/month and more likely the 1700+ range. May be able to find something in Portchester which isn't as bad as New Ro but definitely no larchmont. When living in Westchester you have to account for the $300/month or more train ticket.
Bronx is best bet like someone suggested but gotta pick the right area. Van cortland park area is safe enough. Riverdale or Marble Hill are both close to subway with riverdale being safer. I've heard certain areas of Mott Haven have made a real come back but down there 2 blocks one way or the other could make a huge difference.
I dont know enough about rents in Queens but Astoria is a great place. But like everyone else said, roommate is definitely needed.
Hope that helps
0 x