ProJo gets their cheap shot in

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: ProJo gets their cheap shot in

Unread post by theblueram »

Doesn't sound like a cheap shot. Seems they were ridiculing this inept professor.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Agree, this guy is an idiot. Associate Prof by the way. This should be his last year at URI.
Rated by his students with a 3 out of 10.

This part of the editorial seems way off base though.
His arguments have led some of our readers to wonder exactly what is being taught at URI, and whether students are wise to go deep into debt paying tuition and board for this kind of education. Colleges should be places where various perspectives may be freely aired, exposing students to different ways of looking at things. But increasingly, colleges are promoting a strain of thought that finds fault with almost everything about America, and seems divorced from common sense and plain reality. Indeed, these ideas seem to be rapidly moving beyond the power of parody.
4 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Last edited by theblueram 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Not a cheap shot. A cheap shot would have been mentioning that URI has no apparent late night madness planned in their article about the PC event.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Screw that professor.
1 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree with theblueram, rhody83, Rhodyram and Rhodymob5 that this is not “the Projo getting their cheap shot in.”
In fact I thought the Projo did a good job with this.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Projo seemed pretty neutral on the issue.

They didn't seem biased. Just reported on what the professor was saying and what that former URI Ram said about it.

You gotta tread those waters carefully and Projo did.

Maybe not worth reporting on. it's not surprising that a university professor would say something like that.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

When one is promoted from Assistant to Associate Professor s/he usually is awarded tenure.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry, this editorial is more than a cheap shot. It shows intolerance of another viewpoint and ignores the very principle it cites in the second sentence of this portion of the editorial. Distortion and exaggeration are never admirable traits.

"His arguments have led some of our readers to wonder exactly what is being taught at URI, and whether students are wise to go deep into debt paying tuition and board for this kind of education. Colleges should be places where various perspectives may be freely aired, exposing students to different ways of looking at things."

Whether you agree with this professor or not is irrelevant since the tone of the editorial is offensive in its attempt to muzzle free speech and the professor. This is surprising from a newspaper given the recent attacks on the first amendment. So a trifecta shot at ProJo for muzzling academic freedom, taking an ad hominem attack on the professor and making a blanket condemnation of the entire URI faculty. It also shows rank hypocrisy.
4 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

:roll: What a dumb article. Way to go ProJo...
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

ProJo implies an endorsement by URI?
It reads like its trying to discourage students from attending?
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Sorry, this editorial is more than a cheap shot. It shows intolerance of another viewpoint and ignores the very principle it cites in the second sentence of this portion of the editorial. Distortion and exaggeration are never admirable traits.

"His arguments have led some of our readers to wonder exactly what is being taught at URI, and whether students are wise to go deep into debt paying tuition and board for this kind of education. Colleges should be places where various perspectives may be freely aired, exposing students to different ways of looking at things."

Whether you agree with this professor or not is irrelevant since the tone of the editorial is offensive in its attempt to muzzle free speech and the professor. This is surprising from a newspaper given the recent attacks on the first amendment. So a trifecta shot at ProJo for muzzling academic freedom, taking an ad hominem attack on the professor and making a blanket condemnation of the entire URI faculty. It also shows rank hypocrisy.
I agree that although the professor sounds off his rocker with certain opinions such as the Brady/white supremacy argument, that the Projo inferences this one professor at the University as meaning the institution is out of touch is lazy. One of the purposes of college is to engage your mind, and study through various opinions/theories to frame your worldview and think for yourself in the future. This means sometimes having oddball professors who would not be suitable as your boss in the real world, but who make you step back and think through a crazy theory to either debunk it or reluctantly accept it. This is not uncommon throughout all universities. Dealing with "devil's advocates" is a great way to argue and test your own ingrained opinions. Otherwise let's just pay a fortune to receive and read some textbooks and show up for the quarterly exams with no critical thinking involved.

Outside of the Projo conjecture, my concern regarding this professor is in reading the student reviews, many state that after being invited to join the debate a lot of their arguments were dismissed out of hand by the professor. Which I am not on board with and that would be on my job performance review, not whether someone agreed with me in the first place. I had a great poly-sci professor at URI, Marc Genest. He was well on the conservative side while I am more liberal, but it actually pleased him to hear a good argument debunking some talking point on the right from the liberal viewpoint. It was apparent that he felt this was his job, not to have the students agree with them, but to make students think critically.
4 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Poli sci grad right here! Genest was by far my favorite professor I had at URI. I had Genest and Petro for Cold War Politics. This was the semester before he went to be at NUWC full time. Completely agree with you on Genest. The thing with was that he was never saying, "I am right because I am conservative you're wrong because you're a liberal" (which is kind of today's climate). If anything I think the entire class no matter where they stood politically just wanted to hear the guy talk. Plus, he showed us pictures of the DMZ when he worked for the State Department. He also said to all of us Lincoln Chaffee was a buffoon and nothing like his father John. This was when Moonbeam Linc was running as a Republican for Senate, which was well before he became Governor, and then before he decided to run for President as Democrat, and now Linc is a Libertarian. Maybe Pastafarian is next?
Last edited by Taylor Swift 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

This should probably be in Down the Line.
1 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Genest was great but he was no Killelea.
2 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

URI96 wrote: 4 years ago Genest was great but he was no Killelea.
Both have their strengths. I’ll always remember hookshot@uri.edu
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago This should probably be in Down the Line.
I actually posted when the news hit before the Projo article within the Patriots thread under the Pro Sports topic. Didn't realize this was a separate thread was on the basketball topic, oops...
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

What's interesting is under Dooley the push for international/exchange students has been huge.
ProJo claims the doctrine promoted at URI is far-right.
I would bet the increase in diversity at Rhody since Carothers was Pres. has been significant.
Maybe Pro Jo could write an editorial about that?
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago What's interesting is under Dooley the push for international/exchange students has been huge.
I would bet the increase in diversity at Rhody since Carothers was Pres. has been significant.
My entire time at URI I only had two (known) conservative professors (2002-2006).

Major increase in the number of international students I’ve noticed living here in Narragansett. Shows you how well-renowned URI is. Glad to see it! Too bad Gina can’t keep them here with jobs.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Or perhaps the hiforbidden politics page. Else, I think there's some that could go full page in response to Obadiah's post...and probably no one wants to see how that turns out? Or, maybe we do? :lol:
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Man what a thread that was :lol:
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

That was a ridiculous article, I’m pissed I even clicked on it. The Projo has become a trash rag like most local papers in the country. So sad.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Do we know anything about the research that the professor did for this book? Was it rigorous academic research? Was it peer-reviewed?
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago Do we know anything about the research that the professor did for this book? Was it rigorous academic research? Was it peer-reviewed?

About as well researched as someone's random blog.
1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago What's interesting is under Dooley the push for international/exchange students has been huge.
My entire time at URI I only had two (known) conservative professors (2002-2006).

Major increase in the number of international students I’ve noticed living here in Narragansett. Shows you how well-renowned URI is. Glad to see it! Too bad Gina can’t keep them here with jobs.
There's very few conservative professors, yet an astonishing amount of people like the guy in this article on the state payroll in posistions of authority with young minds because of a simple reason. Conservative's, (as seen by far so were talking about a pretty big group that occupies a massive range of opinions) are often given hints and discouraged. One way or another. Told there views will make promotion in the fields impossible.

In my experience as a History student i had two professors. Not ones at URI. Tell me they thought i had a real ability for research and quality work. But that my views, espescially on colonialism would need to change. Since i graduate I've had papers i wanted to publish rejected based on the quality of that work but because the peer reviewers disagreed with my views.

Ironically it was a big thing i did on colonial Hong Kong that caused this huge furor in one of my classes.

While on the other hand Guys like "Brady is a White nationalist" are put on the payroll at Taxpayer expense. Often based on the fact they agree with more with their bosses/ other professors.

Although, in most cases the majority profs don't agree with much of the super leftists, race baiting professors. However they are totally afraid of them for some reason. I think because they worry if you oppose someone like this professor you will be labeled a white nationalist ect.. Those two profs who warned me off at my College were both Moderates, maybe even conservatives and imo fit into that cowed posistion.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The liberal vs conservative conversation tends to circle the drain quickly...

My fingers are getting itchy and I'm afraid I'll type something others will regret.
Please...save me (and everyone else?) from myself, and lock this thread?
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I used to think I was kind of mid to left. Now somehow I am clearly on the right side although my views have never really changed
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago I used to think I was kind of mid to left. Now somehow I am clearly on the right side although my views have never really changed
That's ok, just means you're not "progressive" (cool and double thumbs up for that ;) )
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I was an Accounting major. It seemed pretty conservative. As did my professors. I guess I was insulated.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

OK, so in other words nobody knows about the research.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago OK, so in other words nobody knows about the research.
Here's a site that allows you to access research papers and this book without paying for them: http://sci-hub.tw

Here's the link to put into the site to read Kusz's chapter and see all his references: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.10 ... 19799-5_16

I'm not even sure why people on here seem to have such an issue with the guy's research. If it didn't have anything to do with Tom Brady this would have never made it to this forum and it's likely no one here would have ever heard about it.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

josephski wrote: 4 years ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago OK, so in other words nobody knows about the research.
Here's a site that allows you to access research papers and this book without paying for them: http://sci-hub.tw

Here's the link to put into the site to read Kusz's chapter and see all his references: https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.10 ... 19799-5_16

I'm not even sure why people on here seem to have such an issue with the guy's research. If it didn't have anything to do with Tom Brady this would have never made it to this forum and it's likely no one here would have ever heard about it.
This is serious stuff. TB should be held out of next week's game while this is further investigated. (Not this week...next week)
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago The professor makes his case.

https://www.providencejournal.com/opini ... -tom-brady
I stopped at " knew what was coming: a misleading “story” intended to generate click-bait and energize those who dislike talk of white male privilege." Dude is a db. plain and simple.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago The professor makes his case.

https://www.providencejournal.com/opini ... -tom-brady
I stopped at " knew what was coming: a misleading “story” intended to generate click-bait and energize those who dislike talk of white male privilege." Dude is a db. plain and simple.

If this cat wants to talk about “privilege”, ProJo gave him a platform to defend his ignorant statements.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This should definitely be in “Down the Line”

Unrelated to Basketball or “NCAA or Bust”
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Wasn’t it already down the line ?

Oh I bet you’re seeing it as a shadow topic.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I was an Accounting major. It seemed pretty conservative. As did my professors. I guess I was insulated.
I was a Poli Sci/PR double major who took some business classes for the PR.

The Poli Sci department had a clear liberal lean but the business school was just the opposite. The marketing professor I had talked about Milton Friedman almost every class.
0 x