South County Bike Path

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
ramster
Frank Keaney

South County Bike Path

Unread post by ramster »

Rep. Teresa Tanzi, D-South Kingstown, said she has been advocating for money to complete the South County bike path for more than a decade.

“If we lose this now, they will just pull the rug out from under us again and force people to ride on the streets, which is dangerous,” she told The Journal Wednesday.

https://www.providencejournal.com/news/ ... draws-fire
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: South County Bike Path

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

OK...I've pondered a thread on this for a couple years now, so here goes...Not sure about 'plans', my comments are on the existing path, which I love.

I walk on this path from the train station, down a mile or so, 5-6x a week, which makes it a round trip 3 miler from my house.
Place is awesome...I've seen deer, osprey, huge turtles, and owls there. Most of the time I'm out there, it's fantastic.

Other times, there's some issues:

1. The Bikers (Capital "B" Bikers). They're all dressed up in tight shirts and shorts and cranking through there on Saturday morning "(never during the week) like they're in the Tour de France. They don't want to give you an inch and roar by giving you a look like you're the reason they aren't going to set the world record. If they look at you at all.
2. Wrong side runners. Signs clearly indicate bikes on the right, the rest on the left. Yet, you still have sprinters coming right at you in the opposite direction, even when you're on the correct side.
3. Dog poop. WTF. There are signs that ask you to clean up after yer creature. But still, some think it's ok to just have their dog shiite on the path and leave it there. Better Options: A) Get yer critter off to the side to do its bidness in the grass. B) If your mutt drops a steaming pile on the path...grab a stick (you are in the woods, but if you can't figger out how to make a stick, please ggogle it) and use it to knock that shizz off to the side.
4. Dog poop2. So, there are signs to pick up after...and companies make dog scat bags for just such a thing. Why...would folks bring a scat bag... bag the scat...and then leave it in the bag on the side of the path? Did you think someone else would pick it up, or are you just trying to make sure it doesn't get washed away by the rain?

btw, the little info sign on the right side as you approach the Ministerial Rd crossing, just before the bridge, from the train station was covered with pollen and mold. Until a few weeks ago, when yours truly brought out some Lysol wipes and cleaned that thing up. Yer welcome!

Seriously...I owe almost all of my bilateral knee replacement recovery to that path and appreciate all those - including/especially my neighbor - that keep it up. They plow it in the winter (sometimes), mow the grass the rest of the year, and they always clear branches and tree limbs. GREAT place.

And anyone that wants to meet me at the train station to take a walk on it, just let me know...I do about 13:30ish walking mile ;)
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

My biggest desire for the trail is to finish the last mile from the Pier School to Boston Neck Road across from Narragansett Town Beach. I typically do not stop at the Pier School and bike the rest via the road. This can sometimes be tricky if there are a lot of cars parked along Narragansett Road as is the case on beach days. Most bikers however turn around and head back at the end of the off road path section without ever getting to the beach.
Phase 4 Extension
Phase 4 Extension
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

That makes sense. I don't have a bike, so I never get down that far, but certainly would if I had one. I've beached it a number of times this year and can see how that traffic could be tricky. Looks like they are about ready to open the spur to campus...anyone know when that's expected to open?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I had heard for the beginning of school but have not checked lately
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The URI spur which will go along side the new dorm and end at Flagg Road:
South County Bike Path URI Spur
South County Bike Path URI Spur
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago The URI spur which will go along side the new dorm and end at Flagg Road:

Screenshot_2019-08-29 URI pdf.jpg
This route is no longer completely accurate. I think they flipped which side of Peckham Farm the path would be on, resulting in the path entering the main part of campus further west. The bike path now runs along the third base line of Beck Field, on past Mackal Field House before it turns toward the South end zone of Meade. Most of the path is poured in that area, but it's not currently usable and I couldn't exactly tell whether it's going to cross the brook before Ellery Pond or after Meade Stadium. It looks like they're making the path for both scenarios.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago My biggest desire for the trail is to finish the last mile from the Pier School to Boston Neck Road across from Narragansett Town Beach. I typically do not stop at the Pier School and bike the rest via the road. This can sometimes be tricky if there are a lot of cars parked along Narragansett Road as is the case on beach days. Most bikers however turn around and head back at the end of the off road path section without ever getting to the beach.
I travel on BNR many times a day and the last thing I would want to do is ride my bike on it in the summer. People are CRAZY drivers in the summer. I have a cheap Huffy in my basement, and I still have been meaning (for the past 3 years or more) to put it in my trunk, drive over to the elementary school and take the bike path from there.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Cyclists are annoying anywhere and they almost always have a damn attitude....
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Cyclists are annoying anywhere and they almost always have a damn attitude....
It's amazing the number of people that are annoyed with people riding their bikes where they legally belong. I both ride and drive, and while I see both drivers and riders break laws, I try my best to have a good attitude. I hate the one that you are displaying above. It leads people to say things like "good" when I mention the time I nearly got hit by a car because they weren't pay attention to me. I was riding in the bike lane. They sped past me only to nearly right hook me to get a parking spot. Fortunately, I'm hyper aware and saw the whole thing coming so was able to prevent being hit.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Cyclists are annoying anywhere and they almost always have a damn attitude....
It's amazing the number of people that are annoyed with people riding their bikes where they legally belong. I both ride and drive, and while I see both drivers and riders break laws, I try my best to have a good attitude. I hate the one that you are displaying above. It leads people to say things like "good" when I mention the time I nearly got hit by a car because they weren't pay attention to me. I was riding in the bike lane. They sped past me only to nearly right hook me to get a parking spot. Fortunately, I'm hyper aware and saw the whole thing coming so was able to prevent being hit.
Yikes! I don't hate bikers or want to see anyone get hit. On the path I walk, most of the bikers are fine, it's just the ones that wanna play Top Gun with my head that drive me crazy.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

As a frequent trail bike rider, I am offended. My experience has found walkers to be more of the problem. Many are often not on the correct side and wander across the lane marker lines. Even worse, many get skittish seeing a bike and make unexpected sudden lane changes confusing approaching bikers. Another problem is when walkers and bikers out together go side by side taking up the entire trail width. The worst offenders are the bikers and walkers that stop on the paved trail making themselves a hazard when there is plenty of grassy room on either side.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
As a frequent trail bike rider, I am offended. My experience has found walkers to be more of the problem. Many are often not on the correct side and wander across the lane marker lines. Even worse, many get skittish seeing a bike and make unexpected sudden lane changes confusing approaching bikers. Another problem is when walkers and bikers out together go side by side taking up the entire trail width. The worst offenders are the bikers and walkers that stop on the paved trail making themselves a hazard when there is plenty of grassy room on either side.
Agree with all this, too. When I walk, I am just a-huggin' that far left side walkin' straight as possible.
I don't flinch or get skittish because i still have a few extra LB's and fairly sharp elbows. :lol:
Oh well...just glad it's out there.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
On trails I can definitely see how the walkers are more annoying. Some people do not get out of the way of anybody.

I'm usually most annoyed with the ones on main roads.

Holds up traffic and it's really dangerous. Then they'll be assholes about it.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

The aggravating thing for me is when there are narrow roadway shoulders and I'm either cycling and someone ahead of me has their back turned because they are walking WITH traffic, or vice versa when I'm walking facing traffic in the shoulder and I hear a cyclist whooshing from behind me with no time for a courtesy move aside while they stupidly ride AGAINST traffic.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago That makes sense. I don't have a bike, so I never get down that far, but certainly would if I had one. I've beached it a number of times this year and can see how that traffic could be tricky. Looks like they are about ready to open the spur to campus...anyone know when that's expected to open?
The ribbon cutting is Monday, November 18th at 11 by Mackal Field House

https://events.uri.edu/event/uri_bike_p ... bw1Q-hKi70
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago That makes sense. I don't have a bike, so I never get down that far, but certainly would if I had one. I've beached it a number of times this year and can see how that traffic could be tricky. Looks like they are about ready to open the spur to campus...anyone know when that's expected to open?

There are already people complaining about the bike path. Saying that the lights are "too confusing" and that people are going to try to drive down the bike path. SMH.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

There are already people complaining about the bike path. Saying that the lights are "too confusing" and that people are going to try to drive down the bike path. SMH.
Bike Path is very nice. New extension goes right beside the Field House on the Keaney Parking Lot Side. Great to have a Bike Path like this connecting to the Campus.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I agree. It's completely necessary. Now if only Suez Water and National Grid could fix their infrastucture issues around here.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It opened last Monday and has a nice logo painted where it breaks off from the existing path.
0 x