Mens Soccer - 2019

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Mens Soccer - 2019

Unread post by ramster »

URI is picked to finish 3rd in A10 by Coaches in Preseason Poll

In NCAA Preseason Rankings

#39 (8 Votes) URI
#18 (180 Votes) Denver - URI plays at Denver Saturday November 2 @ 9pm - last game of the regular season. Huge game for URI!!!
#30 (38 Votes) UCONN - plays at URI Monday Sept 2 @ 7pm
#45 (4 Votes) Saint Louis - URI plays at Saint Louis Saturday Sept 28 @ 8:30pm. Saint Louis is picked #2 by A10 Coaches Preseason Poll

VCU - plays at URI Saturday October 19 @ 7pm. VCU did not get any Votes in NCAA Preseason Rankings. Picked #1 by A10 Coaches Preseason Poll
Fordham - plays at URI Saturday October 5 @ 7pm. Fordham is picked 5th in A10 Coaches Preseason Poll
Dayton is picked 4th in A10 Coaches Preseason Poll but URI does not play Dayton this season

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-me ... er-coaches

Atlantic 10
What happened in 2018: On the back of a strong finish to the season, VCU secured the regular season title with a record of 6-1-1. It was a close race with Davidson just three points behind, Rhode Island and George Mason four points back, and three teams – Saint Louis, Dayton and Fordham with 13. Rhode Island put it all together in the conference tournament, and nearly knocked out UConn in the first round, losing 4-3 in overtime in the first round of the NCAAs.

What to expect in 2019: In a 13-team league that plays an unbalanced schedule, the regular season race can be influenced by how the conference slate is drawn up. That being said, there should be a lot of similar programs competing for honors a the top. Fordham lost head coach Jim McElderry, who moved to Rutgers. Replacing him is Carlo Acquista; that program’s evolution is going to be worth following. While VCU, Rhode Island and Davidson seem likely to contend, Saint Louis is on the rise, bolstered by a strong recruiting class and high-level returning players.

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college ... y_aid46604
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Re: Mens Soccer - 2019

Unread post by neil »

Rams open there season at home Friday night against Fairfield. Also, they play UConn at home on Labor Day evening. Time for some pay back!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good crowd at the UCONN at URI game Tuesday night. Beautiful night and a beautifully lighted field for the 7:00 pm game
Kid for UCONN scores all 3 goals for them. He didn’t look like a great player but he sure was. From Manchester England.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Good crowd at the UCONN at URI game Tuesday night. Beautiful night and a beautifully lighted field for the 7:00 pm game
Kid for UCONN scores all 3 goals for them. He didn’t look like a great player but he sure was. From Manchester England.
Was at the game also, seemed like a great crowd. I'm bad at it, but what's your guess as to how many there?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Good crowd at the UCONN at URI game Tuesday night. Beautiful night and a beautifully lighted field for the 7:00 pm game
Was at the game also, seemed like a great crowd. I'm bad at it, but what's your guess as to how many there?
Great question. I was looking at the stands and guessed about 65% full. Students kept coming even close to halftime. Saw girls from the girls basketball team there for support. I’m guessing 400? 500? Classes started today.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No need to have question/guesses about attendance once the game is completed. A quick glance at the game box score on the athletics website shows the attendance was 1509.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Wow!
Thanks Obadiah.
Great number.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I was there too. UConn had a guy broadcast the game from the top row of the bleachers. Build a press box, please!
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Want a press box,go start a fund raiser.
Soccer boosters have no $$ or won’t give ??
You could build that thing for $100K.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We need our soccer complex to be able to host an NCAA Tournament 1st round game. Not have to go to UCONN like last year. Whatever it takes.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Wow!
Thanks Obadiah.
Great number.
Yikes..you might be a worse guesser than me?! I thought it was somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

neil wrote: 4 years ago I was there too. UConn had a guy broadcast the game from the top row of the bleachers. Build a press box, please!
Actually, the guy had to keep moving around...kept losing his signal or sumthin like that..
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

On the Annual Day of Giving the Men's Soccer team donations crushed all other teams, including Football and Basketball. I donated. Hopefully something like press box is considered.

I am jealous of the crowd size. If we had 50 fans in the stands back in my day (Geza Henni was coach) it was a lot.

:)
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Thanks Obadiah.
Great number.
Yikes..you might be a worse guesser than me?! I thought it was somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000
To be fair - 1509 IS between 1000 and 2000 (pretty much smack in the middle).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Brian Forster
ARD

I am sure if the soccer coach saw a need for the press box he could easily raise the money.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago I am sure if the soccer coach saw a need for the press box he could easily raise the money.
So...there's no press box...only because the coach doesn't see the need for it? Really?
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Yes,DanAz is correct,soccer players,parents ,boosters are typically very well heeled.
Go look at roster this and last few seasons.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Yes,DanAz is correct,soccer players,parents ,boosters are typically very well heeled.
How did these well heeled folks feel about hosting an NCAA tournament game at uconn?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Yes,DanAz is correct,soccer players,parents ,boosters are typically very well heeled.
How did these well heeled folks feel about hosting an NCAA tournament game at uconn?
That's what I was getting at. Should we all be po'd at the coach for losing a NCAAT home game... because, apparently...the coach "didn't see the need"?
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

I am being facetious.
Every time,somebody complains about facilities,no hockey team,etc.,ad Infinitum.
The answer = go fund raise.
Did you know the $$ from the Ohio buy game last week is divided amongst all the programs?
Use that and fund raise the difference for the soccer box.
There never is a straight answer as to why the funds can’t be raised.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
Thanks Obadiah.
Great number.
To be fair in the 1,509, their were no tickets sold nor even free tickets given out. No scanning or tickets collected. The 1,509 was determined how? Same as my guess of 500?
The game was free, nobody counting as people walked in or out

Many students were walking in late and others left at halftime

My guess is there was 500 in continuous attendance. Really doesn’t matter but my own eyes would doubt those stands had 1,609 in them or even close to that.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

To be fair in the 1,509, their were no tickets sold nor even free tickets given out. No scanning or tickets collected. The 1,509 was determined how? Same as my guess of 500?

My guess is there was 500 in continuous attendance. Really doesn’t matter but my own eyes would doubt those stands had 1,609 in them or even close to that.
Ramster - see Obadiah's post from a couple of days ago - said he got it from the box score.

Post by Obadiah » 2 days ago

No need to have question/guesses about attendance once the game is completed. A quick glance at the game box score on the athletics website
shows the attendance was 1509.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramster - see Obadiah's post from a couple of days ago - said he got it from the box score.

Post by Obadiah » 2 days ago

No need to have question/guesses about attendance once the game is completed. A quick glance at the game box score on the athletics website
shows the attendance was 1509.
For sure I am not doubting Obadiah at all.

What I am saying is there were no ticket for the game, soccer is free. People were coming and going the whole game as it was the night before classes starting. The bulk of the people in attendance were students.
So zero income from the game. Aluminum Bleachers were about 60 to 65 percent - they are only on one side of the field.
Not sure how they arrived at 1,509. Not sure how many fit in the bleachers.

I just looked up capacity and it says 2000. Not sure if that includes only the Bleachers are standing room around the field too
I’m guessing 65% full from my own eyes in the stands. I’d still say there were not 1,509 all game -lot of coming and going. Students curious.
But nice crowd. Next game I’ll count bodies.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI with a big 2-1 win over PC tonight

Max Kolakofsky, the Sr Transfer from Franklin Pierce hit the post on 1 shot that scored on the deflection by Benco, giving Kolakofsky the assist. He scored on another shot for URI’s second goal of the night.

Announced attendance 2,109

Next game us again at home vs Merrimac at 7pm Friday. Televised on ESPN+

https://gorhody.com/sports/m-soccer/201 ... 0909vzxl10
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Good soccering crowds!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

For what it's worth, the largest home soccer crowd in the last sixteen years occurred in 2015 when 4,215 watched then #8 PC beat the Rams 1-0.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Obadiah-did they charge admission?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI defeats Merrimack 2-1 in 2nd OT to improve record to 2-2-1
1 x
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HobbyBurley »

Another overtime adventure, this time a win in double OT at GW. Good way to start conference play.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Two great honors for Soph Edvin Akselsen.

https://gorhody.com/sports/m-soccer/201 ... 1007m61ttw

Next up LaSalle (2-1) at URI (2-1) 7pm Wednesday then @ St Joseph’s (0-3) Saturday night 7pm

Then a huge A10 matchup with VCU on October 19 at URI
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great 3-2 win for URI tonight over LaSalle
It was cold and windy but no rain at the match
A goal late by Edvin Akselsen put Rhody up 3-1 but then LaSalle scored about 30 seconds later making for an interesting last minute of the match
Next up @ St Joseph’s Saturday night
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Match @ St Joseph’s tonight is on ESPN+ at 7pm

https://gorhody.com/sports/m-soccer/201 ... 1011wkullb
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Match @ St Joseph’s tonight is on ESPN+ at 7pm

https://gorhody.com/sports/m-soccer/201 ... 1011wkullb
Nice 2-0 win over St Joseph’s tonight

Sets up huge match next Saturday night between URI (4-1) and VCU (4-0) at URI at 7pm!!!!
1 x
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HobbyBurley »

Would be nice to get our first win over Brown since...2004! Sounds like they’re having a down year with only one win so far.

https://gorhody.com/sports/m-soccer/201 ... 1014y611ds
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

HobbyBurley wrote: 4 years ago Would be nice to get our first win over Brown since...2004! Sounds like they’re having a down year with only one win so far.

https://gorhody.com/sports/m-soccer/201 ... 1014y611ds
URI wins 1-0 and now 8-1-1 over past 10 matches

Huge Saturday Night at URI at 7pm as URI (4-1) hosts VCU (4-0)

Then 3 teams remain for URI with @UMASS (0-4) and Davidson (1-3) then finish the regular season at Denver.

Then all important A10 Tournament.
1 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

With a RPI of 96 and no real RPI boost games on the remainder of their schedule it would appear Rhody will need to win the A-10 tourney to make a second consecutive NCAA tourney appearance. Too bad Denver, who had strong pre-season accolades didn’t live up to the hype or they could have been a resume building opponent. Still winning the last three A-10 matches will give Rhody a great seed come A-10 tourney time and who know what happens as they are playing as well as anyone in the A-10 outside of St. Louis. By the way St. Louis, this years class of men’s A-10 soccer, is playing #1 Virginia in less than a week. Huge game for them and A-10 soccer. They are the only A-10 team looking at a at large bid, if and only if they don’t win the A-10 tournament and the autobid.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Huge, huge match at URI vs VCU tonight at 7pm

https://gorhody.com/sports/m-soccer/201 ... 10191gos5y
0 x
DowtinDimes
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by DowtinDimes »

Massive 2-1 victory over VCU last night! Rhody's defense was mostly tidy at the back, and the forwards generated plenty of chances - we could have easily scored 2 more goals on the night. Our first goal was particularly pretty - Akselsen's cross from the right landed on the head of Zarokostas, who was arriving in full flow at the back post and drilled it in from point-blank range.

Other results went our way too - St. Louis, Duquesne, and Fordham all lost. That leaves St. Louis, VCU, and Rhody as the only 1-loss teams in the conference. With two A-10 games remaining, we control our own destiny for the 2nd seed in the tournament, which would give us a home QF game and put us on the opposite side of the bracket as St. Louis if they also win out. Senior night is Saturday 10/26 vs Davidson at 7PM - here's hoping the team can get a good crowd of fans who are around for homecoming/family weekend.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

DowtinDimes wrote: 4 years ago Massive 2-1 victory over VCU last night! Rhody's defense was mostly tidy at the back, and the forwards generated plenty of chances - we could have easily scored 2 more goals on the night. Our first goal was particularly pretty - Akselsen's cross from the right landed on the head of Zarokostas, who was arriving in full flow at the back post and drilled it in from point-blank range.

Other results went our way too - St. Louis, Duquesne, and Fordham all lost. That leaves St. Louis, VCU, and Rhody as the only 1-loss teams in the conference. With two A-10 games remaining, we control our own destiny for the 2nd seed in the tournament, which would give us a home QF game and put us on the opposite side of the bracket as St. Louis if they also win out. Senior night is Saturday 10/26 vs Davidson at 7PM - here's hoping the team can get a good crowd of fans who are around for homecoming/family weekend.
Same time as the RIC game?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

My daughter and I attended the game.....well played game....big win for our guys...

Might head to the soccer game for the beginning as it is Senior Night and then head over to Ryan to watch Basketball later....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago My daughter and I attended the game.....well played game....big win for our guys...

Might head to the soccer game for the beginning as it is Senior Night and then head over to Ryan to watch Basketball later....
It's too bad they're at exactly the same time. I wish they could move the exhibition game to like 7:30 so I can catch the end of the ric game without missing the huge soccer game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago My daughter and I attended the game.....well played game....big win for our guys...

It's too bad they're at exactly the same time. I wish they could move the exhibition game to like 7:30 so I can catch the end of the ric game without missing the huge soccer game.
I will attend the Soccer Game Senior Night. This team has played great this season. Last nights win over VCU was monumental.
The Scrimmage announced makes the RIC Exhibition less important for me to see.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago

I will attend the Soccer Game Senior Night. This team has played great this season. Last nights win over VCU was monumental.
The Scrimmage announced makes the RIC Exhibition less important for me to see.
Yeah same for me actually. The scrimmage event on tuesday is enough for me until the first game. That soccer game on saturday could be huge to lock up first place depending on what happens this week with SLU.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Kudos to Coach Elliott for his coaching and also scheduling strong non conference opponents. It apparently helped us with A-10 opponents.
2 x
DowtinDimes
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by DowtinDimes »

Hard-fought 1-0 win for the Rams at UMass on a windswept and choppy pitch. Rhody had most of the ball and dictated play throughout the match but struggled to test the opposing keeper. We finally got the breakthrough late in the 2nd half when the UMass back line failed to deal with a cross and Tamburini nodded it home for his team-leading 7th goal of the season. It wasn't pretty, but Rhody has developed a winning habit - that makes 6 in a row and 10-1-1 in our last 12 heading into senior night on Saturday!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DowtinDimes wrote: 4 years ago Hard-fought 1-0 win for the Rams at UMass on a windswept and choppy pitch. Rhody had most of the ball and dictated play throughout the match but struggled to test the opposing keeper. We finally got the breakthrough late in the 2nd half when the UMass back line failed to deal with a cross and Tamburini nodded it home for his team-leading 7th goal of the season. It wasn't pretty, but Rhody has developed a winning habit - that makes 6 in a row and 10-1-1 in our last 12 heading into senior night on Saturday!
Write up from UMASS Website. UMASS had two opportunities to score in the last minutes, including one attempt with less than 10 seconds to go.

https://umassathletics.com/news/2019/10 ... d-1-0.aspx

Any win on the road is a solid win.
Now Davidson Saturday Senior Night at 7pm.

We are now (6-1)
St Louis (5-1) has @ Duquesne (3-2) this Saturday and Fordham Saturday Nov 2 (3-2) remaining. We need SLU to lose at least one of these 2 matches.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

I hope there's a packed crowd on saturday. These guys have been very good this season and the game vs Davidson could be huge to finish 1st in the A-10.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Senior night? Finish first? 6-1?

Are there only 8 games in a college soccer season?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Senior night? Finish first? 6-1?

Are there only 8 games in a college soccer season?
No.
URI is now 10-3-2
Remaining:
Saturday home Senior Night vs Davidson 7pm
Saturday away at University of Denver

Total will be 17 matches

Most important is we are tied with SLU with only 1 loss each, however our loss was to SLU so we lose the tiebreaker.

Top 8 teams in the A-10 make the post season Tournament. So important that we are separate from SLU in the Bracket.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody scores 2 goals in the last 2 minutes to beat Davidson 2-0 on Senior Night
Great A-10 Conference Performance
On to Denver next weekend and prepare for the A-10 Tournament
D2D95086-5F22-4CDC-8EF0-9C9F81000F45.jpeg
2 x