CSM Top 144 Ranking

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Re: CSM Top 144 Ranking

Unread post by JimSidd »

Ah, yes, the contest. Some call me a pessimist. I refer to myself as a realist, which meant my overall and league record predictions last year were pretty close. I think my realism will lead me to predicting more success this year, but the OOC schedule is pretty tough.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago I give us a 75% chance of making the tourney. I am very bullish on this team. More balanced than 17-18 team
Probably semantics, but I would not be much over 50% at the max just thinking back how precarious our bid was late in the season even for EC's/Jared's senior season. Not a lot of margin of error in our conference lately, although this can turn around if a number of A10 teams match up well against the P5 conferences early on.
I think you mean their junior season, where we found out only after we won the A10 tournament that we’d secured an at-large anyways? Their senior season they were a lock from February and were easily in even after a tough end of the year.
Oh right, I mix it up sometimes being EC's fourth season since starting with the program. And the lowest low was pretty bad 2 seasons ago so although they were safely in that sticks out in my mind (78-48 loss at home to St. Joe's).
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bill Koch wrote: 4 years ago Interesting discussion here, and one that sparks a central question in my mind. Your responses could help give me an idea of how I should cover the team this season.

What are your expectations for this group? I ask that taking a few things into consideration:
-- In Dowtin and Langevine, I think they have two of the top 10 players (at worst) in the A10
-- They return more than 86 percent of their scoring and more than 80 percent of their minutes played
-- The 2018-19 recruiting class was the top-ranked class in the A10
-- They reached the A10 semifinals in the conference tournament
-- The opportunities provided by the schedule and metrics that go along with them will be strong

In my mind, due to everything listed above, this should be an NCAA team. I'm inclined to cover them as such -- good wins, bad losses, NET ratings in perspective, etc. Is that fair?

Thanks in advance for the perspective.
Bill,
Here is my perspective on your questions:

What are your expectations for this group? I ask that taking a few things into consideration:
-- In Dowtin and Langevine, I think they have two of the top 10 players (at worst) in the A10. Completely Agree. Dowtin is a top talent. He should be 1st Team A10 with the potential to be Player of the Year in the A10. He has the ability to play Point Guard or Shooting Guard. This gives Cox a lot of flexibility. Langevine ditto. Top talent. He should be 1st Team A10 and also has the potential to be POY in the A10 this season.

-- They return more than 86 percent of their scoring and more than 80 percent of their minutes played. True, a lot of experience returning for sure, however, the downside of this is the team only went 18-15 with those players.

-- The 2018-19 recruiting class was the top-ranked class in the A10. True, but none of those players made the All Rookie Team. Jermaine Harris could have been All Rookie but he experienced some foot injury issues during the season that held down his playing time and effectiveness. Expect big things from Jermaine this season. Excellent shooter for a big man. One could make the case that Jermaine is the best FT Shooter on the team - high praise for a 6'8" player.

-- They reached the A10 semifinals in the conference tournament. Agree, this should be the minimum expectation this season.

-- The opportunities provided by the schedule and metrics that go along with them will be strong. True, but you must play well against a schedule like that. It does not do a team much good if the team does not take advantage of those opportunities. It comes down to how URI does in the Conference Regular Season and in the A10 Conference Tournament. The OOC can go a long way in preparing URI for a successful A10 Regular Season and Conference Tournament.

In my mind, due to everything listed above, this should be an NCAA team. I'm inclined to cover them as such -- good wins, bad losses, NET ratings in perspective, etc. Is that fair? Very fair.

Considerations as to why URI should be improved this season over last year's (18-15) overall and (9-9) Conference Team:

- Cox now in his 2nd year. He learned a lot in his first year. You could see that in the 2nd half of the season. He continually grew.
- Cox addressed the #1 weakness of last year's team - shooting accuracy. He has much more quality depth this upcoming season than last year
- Jeremy Sheppard comes in having been named AAC All Freshman Team along with players from Cincinnati, Temple, UCONN and Memphis - pretty impressive. Sheppard hit 90-203 on 3FG for 44.3% in JC plus 82.8% FT. Just what the DR Ordered.
- Russell did not do well in the two biggest games of the season last year. Against VCU, a 75-70 win, Russell played only 25 minutes as he fouled out with 2-9 FG, 0-4 on 3FG, 2-2 FT, 1 reb, 0 Assists, 5 TOs, for 6 points. In the 68-51 loss to St Bonaventure Russell played 35 min, 3-14 FG, 0-7 on 3FG, 3 Assists, 1 Steal, 1 TO, 4 Fouls for 6 points. Hopefully Russell learned a lot last season and comes in very ready to lead this team. He is very quick, explosive, a potential All A10 1st, 2nd or 3rd Team Player. He worked hard this summer. Important is that Cox not only has Dowtin as a back up PG but Sheppard is a high quality, proven option for PG. He will pressure Russell for PT and could even push for a starting role. Sheppard and Russell could play together as well. Hurley showed how playing multiple Point Guard talents at the same time can be very effective. Sheppard will also enable Russell and/or Dowtin to take a break when tired or whenever they experience foul trouble.
- Devale Johnson improves shooting effectiveness. He hit 65-152 for 42.8% on 3FG. The 6'7" Human Tarantula has no problem getting his shot off. He rebounds well and blocks shots. He provides much needed shooting and will pressure for playing time.
- Antwan Walker brings depth to the frontcount. He also is a good FT shooter. Once again a common theme with the new players.
- Jacob Toppin has been very impressive since arriving in Kingston. High upside for him. He has impressed with his shooting efficiency.
- Greg Hammond is an excellent athlete. He is a very hard worker. Excellent potential.
- Mekhi Long is also an excellent athlete, very hard worker, relentless, competitive, improved his Senior Year

Trying to guess who starts and who is getting how much Playing time by A10 Conference Play and most importantly by A10 Tournament Time is just that - a guess. I'll let Cox decide that based on how the players perform but the great thing Cox has done is brought in quality depth in the 2 JC Transfers, Georgetown Transfer and the 3 Freshmen. Cox has much more flexibility with the options he has accumulated. Add to that Harris, Martin and Tate becoming Sophomores and this team has the potential to win the A10.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Vermont comes in at #50 which is 29 spots ahead of our Rams. Now I know Vermont is the favorite to win American East and therefore has a more certain shot to make the NCAA dance than URI. But 29 places ahead of URI. Really!!

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17800
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Another puzzling ranking as Harvard comes in at #44, some 35 slots ahead of URI. In last year's match-up versus the Crimson at Ryan, URI edged Harvard in a close game on a last minute trey by Fatts and an incredible block by Preston. That was performance from a URI team with a first year coach, having lost 73% of its shooting power from the previous team and an incoming freshman class of some promise. This year we have a team bolstered by improved experience, the addition of two transfers and some promising incoming freshman. Yes, Harvard has a veteran team with nine of their top scorers returning and looks good on paper to win the Ivy. But 35 places ahead of URI???
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I believe that Harvard team from last year was without Aiken and Towns, both of whom are back this year and both of which were highly regarded players. On top of that they added Chris Ledlum a Top 100 player who is going to be a helluva talent in the Ivy. They may be slightly overrated, and we are definitely slightly underrated...but I still see them as a preseason higher ranked team than us.
1 x