August 11 scrimmage

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

August 11 scrimmage

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

News: L.B. Mack out for year with neck injury
Tez Wilson held out for minor injury.
Edouard did not play. Nothing to worry about.

QB
Vito took first snaps with first team and led a nice TD drive. Had some good throws and bad. Doesn't move well in pocket.
Perrantes looked very good; heady QB. Seemed to have some trouble seeing downfield because of height but scrambles well and throws well on the run.
Grant: had some accuracy issues but better than expected.

WRs
Parker: pick a superlative
Coulter: kinda quiet; got banged up in 2nd half
Frimpong: outstanding ; could be a sleeper
Dorsey: nice weapon in the slot

RBs
Bryant: steady. Very good inside 5
Asiedu-Johnson: showed cutting and breakaway ability.
Antrum: keeps improving

Special teams
Dorsey: pick superlative
Pires: also can break one
Bartocci: punting should not be a problem this year
Carrick: FGs and PATS in good hands
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Re: August 11 scrimmage

Unread post by Bos8 »

Really appreciate the update. Hope all is well with LB. Where does Edouard place among the QBs?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Seems like a 3way race between Vito and the two newcomers.theyd like to play Perrantes without him using a year of eligibility but he keeps impressing
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Really sucks to hear about Mack :/

He can play. Big hit for the D.

Not surprised about Perrantes.

Everything else sounds pretty promising.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago News: L.B. Mack out for year with neck injury

QB
Vito took first snaps with first team and led a nice TD drive. Had some good throws and bad. Doesn't move well in pocket.
Perrantes looked very good; heady QB. Seemed to have some trouble seeing downfield because of height but scrambles well and throws well on the run.

WRs

RBs

Special teams
Thanks for the observations Iggy

I’ve liked Ivory Frimpong since we first recruited him. Very talented but plays a position where URI has been talented and deep with the receiving group. He has done well on special teams and hopefully this is a breakout year for him.

Love Zoe Bryant. He was rated by some as the top RB in NJ in HS. We moved him to LB upon arrival, he had injury issues but then last year moved him to RB and he led the team in rushing. Could be a big Year for Zoe - I hope so

Not getting much preseason press is Branyan Javier-Castillo at Linebacker. He transferred to URI after a solid 2 year career at Lackawanna CC in Scranton. He played great last year and I think he could knock on the door for All CAA this season. He has the ability to dominate a game defensively.

Receiving is loaded with AA Aaron Parker, Coulter, Frimpong, Pires.........tight end hopefully comes along

I hope the QB gets settled early on and Fleming and Staff pick the right guy to lead.

I remember in 2017 with Tyler Harris and Lawson and battling it out. There were disagreements on this board about who should start and several wanted Harris but in the end it was Lawson by a mile. What later seemed obvious that Lawson was a phenomenal talent and could lead the team, it was not so obvious early on to Coaches or board posters. Moral of story is it’s not always so apparent early on. My gut says Perrantes - he is talented, can run, great arm - but only a Freshman.
I’d be curious who the Receivers like best at QB at this point.
QB is very important this season considering we have such a phenomenal Corp of receivers - would be a shame to not get the max results from that group based on the QB performance of the guy ultimately selected.

Glad to hear the punting is in good hands. Whew!!!
Who do you think, Iggy, they should go with at QB?
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

can they red-shirt Mack?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

My guess is, Fleming starts Vito.....and he gets hurt not being very mobile....and then Perrantes takes over.

Ends up being the best for the long run.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago My guess is, Fleming starts Vito.....and he gets hurt not being very mobile....and then Perrantes takes over.

Ends up being the best for the long run.
What about the transfer?
How important will mobility be this season? With the improved line play and the talented receivers, we need someone who can make throws in addition to making plays with his legs. While Lawson's mobility was a plus, he was a more accurate passer then Harris. He was able to get the ball out quickly to our playmakers and had the arm strength to make plays down field. I didn't see that out of Vito last season, so if he is the choice, hopefully he can do that better this year.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago News: L.B. Mack out for year with neck injury

QB

WRs

RBs

Special teams
Thanks for the observations Iggy

I’ve liked Ivory Frimpong since we first recruited him. Very talented but plays a position where URI has been talented and deep with the receiving group. He has done well on special teams and hopefully this is a breakout year for him.

Love Zoe Bryant. He was rated by some as the top RB in NJ in HS. We moved him to LB upon arrival, he had injury issues but then last year moved him to RB and he led the team in rushing. Could be a big Year for Zoe - I hope so

Not getting much preseason press is Branyan Javier-Castillo at Linebacker. He transferred to URI after a solid 2 year career at Lackawanna CC in Scranton. He played great last year and I think he could knock on the door for All CAA this season. He has the ability to dominate a game defensively.

Receiving is loaded with AA Aaron Parker, Coulter, Frimpong, Pires.........tight end hopefully comes along

I hope the QB gets settled early on and Fleming and Staff pick the right guy to lead.

I remember in 2017 with Tyler Harris and Lawson and battling it out. There were disagreements on this board about who should start and several wanted Harris but in the end it was Lawson by a mile. What later seemed obvious that Lawson was a phenomenal talent and could lead the team, it was not so obvious early on to Coaches or board posters. Moral of story is it’s not always so apparent early on. My gut says Perrantes - he is talented, can run, great arm - but only a Freshman.
I’d be curious who the Receivers like best at QB at this point.
QB is very important this season considering we have such a phenomenal Corp of receivers - would be a shame to not get the max results from that group based on the QB performance of the guy ultimately selected.

Glad to hear the punting is in good hands. Whew!!!
Who do you think, Iggy, they should go with at QB?
I was disappointed that I didn't get to see the transfer and it hurts his chances of being ready missing this scrimmage.
I think Vito likely will start against Ohio because they'll want someone with game experience.
Flemming has a huge decision on whether to redshirt Perrantes. He could still play against Brown, Merrimack and two CAA teams and retain four years of eligibility. But what if he's the best QB on the team?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Was Naim Jones not playing?

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't have a better shot with Perrantes.

Not expecting much out of Vito at this point. I've made that clear before. Dont think he can play at a very high level. We got crushed when we played good teams with him. He was looking like Nathan Peterman out there.

He may have improved significantly, who knows!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Jones did not play. I assume injury but I don't know.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I gotta say the talent depth has improved tremendously since Flemming got here. The hit of the scrimmage was Johnny Alvarado, a true freshman, and another frosh, Brady Roark, TE, had four catches. Evan Lovell, a R-FR, might start on OL. Local guy Montaner Fresilli, FR, also played well on the line.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Woo hoo! Best f'ball team in the state!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... 19-season/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Woo hoo! Best f'ball team in the state!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... 19-season/
Nice.

Interesting to see them pick Sacred Heart as best team in Connecticut.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Haha. I will buy the guy that picked these a drink for taking Sacred Heart. I didn’t even know they played football.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

What's up with football tickets? For individual game tickets on Gorhody.com, it says 'click here on August 12th'....not clickable. Nothing on mini-plans either.
Last edited by Billyboy78 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Iggy-how did Sloat look from NK?
Billyboy-suggest emailing ticket dept..
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago What's up with football tickets? For individual game tickets on Gorhody.com, it says 'click here on August 12th'....not clickable. Nothing on mini-plans either.
I had posted in another football thread that Football Tix for individual games went on sale today, Tuesday August 13.
I checked GoRhody today and you can order there.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Iggy-how did Sloat look from NK?
Billyboy-suggest emailing ticket dept..
He was a nice surprise. Got like 9 carries. I'd imagine he'll be s special teamer.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago What's up with football tickets? For individual game tickets on Gorhody.com, it says 'click here on August 12th'....not clickable. Nothing on mini-plans either.
Just got an email from URI about football tickets being available today. Should be able to buy at this site.

I was at Ryan Center Ticket Office last week and they told me Single Game Individual Tickets would be available today on Tuesday. If you have a problem just call the ticket office

https://gorhody.com/tickets/football/index
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

0 x