Kingston Pizza

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Kingston Pizza

Unread post by theblueram »

What is going on with this place? Going to end up like Charlie O’s if they don’t get their act straight.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Kingston Pizza

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t know. What is going on with it?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Can you please share something so we can discuss with you?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Seems totally unfair to imply there is something “going on” with a local business and not explain what it is, right? I think we need some explanation or the thread is going to have to come down.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

They missing out on too many 4-star reviews? They don't have the full amount of assistant managers so they can't effectively recruit customers?
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

What happened? They just expanded to their third Narragansett location (took over the old Jerry's who expanded next door).

The Charlie O's problems are a whole other can of worms.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'll have you know I was the greatest delivery driver in Kingston Pizza history and I will not stand for this! People still tell tales of the incredible delivery experiences of 2002-2003.
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Sorry I will expand. I have been a Kingston Pizza fan since my freshman year in 1983. The service and delivery has gone downhill in the last year or two. They now charge like a $5 delivery charge. Last night my order took an hour and a half and my pizza was stone cold. Driver(friend of my daughter) said he was the only driver on. On a Friday night. This was not a one time event.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Sorry I will expand. I have been a Kingston Pizza fan since my freshman year in 1983. The service and delivery has gone downhill in the last year or two. They now charge like a $5 delivery charge. Last night my order took an hour and a half and my pizza was stone cold. Driver(friend of my daughter) said he was the only driver on. On a Friday night. This was not a one time event.
$5 for delivery and a tip!? So we are taking $10+ maybe to have this delivered. That’s not acceptable to wait that long and not know. Was it the new location you got it from or the one near St Mary’s? (I appreciate local businesses doing well and I love Kingston Pizza)
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I’ve had issues with my local spot where my order will take an absurd amount of time and be borderline inedible when it arrives. It’s annoying as hell, and you can’t really do anything...it’s not the drivers fault usually so I’d feel bad not tipping. I’ve delivered before - including for Kingston like Adam - and it sucks if you’re running around like a maniac and then you don’t get tipped. But I have refused to take the delivery before because it was so late, and then they wouldn’t deliver to me for like 6 months haha. Honestly, whenever I can I just go get it myself at the store. Way less hit or miss that way.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

No offense to the former deliverers....

Go to a place that sells beer...order one...place takeout order...enjoy beer...get food...g'home.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I've been burned on delivery too many times over the year - I pretty much only do it if I can't leave the house for some reason.

Kingston Pizza seemed to trend up a couple bucks from the start of undergrad (2002) to the time I finally left Narragansett (2016). But, I did always think that the pizza and especially the calzones were better than the other local takeout places. (I will confess that Domino's was still the pizza I had to get the most though, being dirt poor. Tough to beat $5 per medium pizza.)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago No offense to the former deliverers....

Go to a place that sells beer...order one...place takeout order...enjoy beer...get food...g'home.
Exactly what I do.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This is the only way I do it these days.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago

This is the only way I do it these days.
Yep...sometimes the rest of the family might not like how long it takes, but...they always have the option to come with me or go get it themselves... :lol:
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The good pizza place near me doesn’t have much going on for beer. I think they have Bud, Bud Light and Heineken. I’m good just to grab the pizza and go drink better beer at my house and hold onto the $5. But, I agree that picking it up is the veteran play. I have that thing on my plate in my kitchen before they’d get it out the door. No-brainer. Delivery is reserved for when the beer drinking is the thing that led to the need for pizza - like for the late NFL games on a Sunday or something.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

But I really like Kingston Pizza. They really do have great food. And, they did make me another pizza and delivered it in 15-20 minutes. But 2 hours for a pizza is not good. They need an expiditer in the kitchen, cause if delivery is going to take an hour and a half, don't cook the pizza until right before delivery. I would have been ok if the original order came hot even though it took awhile. Also, I'm Irish so that beer drinking thing comes into play often.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I loved Kingston’s calzones but I preferred Pier Pizza for pizza. Are they still around? When I briefly lived in West Warwick after I graduated before I left for grad school, I got Kingston Pizza a lot because they had a shop near where I was staying and I appreciated the familiarity.

It sounds like their issue is they need more drivers, at least at the one near you. This is probably the hardest time of the year to get drivers. In a month when kids are back at school they’ll be in better shape.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I loved Kingston’s calzones but I preferred Pier Pizza for pizza. Are they still around? When I briefly lived in West Warwick after I graduated before I left for grad school, I got Kingston Pizza a lot because they had a shop near where I was staying and I appreciated the familiarity.

It sounds like their issue is they need more drivers, at least at the one near you. This is probably the hardest time of the year to get drivers. In a month when kids are back at school they’ll be in better shape.
Pier Pizza which I also loved was sold two years ago and moved to Main St in Wakefield. Haven't tried them since. The driver at Kingston said he makes like $24 an hour with tips. Can't believe they have trouble getting drivers.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I loved Kingston’s calzones but I preferred Pier Pizza for pizza. Are they still around? When I briefly lived in West Warwick after I graduated before I left for grad school, I got Kingston Pizza a lot because they had a shop near where I was staying and I appreciated the familiarity.

Pier Pizza which I also loved was sold two years ago and moved to Main St in Wakefield. Haven't tried them since. The driver at Kingston said he makes like $24 an hour with tips. Can't believe they have trouble getting drivers.

lol I’ll deliver pizza on the side for that rate! I also remember when Pier Pizza was actually in the pier. What a concept! 🙄

Blueram, my personal favorite is ordering from Leo’s Pizza in Bonnet and getting a drink at Pelly’s next door. Might not be convenient but food is great at Leo’s and the people watching is superb.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

I imagine that Friday or Saturday nights, or Sunday football season, or maybe even a normal weekday, that might be true. It's hard for me to believe that he's pulling in $24/hour for a 35 to 40 hour work week. My assumption would be that like any restaurant or business that has tips, Kingston Pizza can probably find plenty of people to staff the good shifts when you get plenty of tips, but because those alone probably can't fill an entire work week, they probably have a decent amount of churn.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....FWIW, the new Kingston Pizza, near old Jerry’s, recently had a guy mixes chicken parts, spices, liquids etc in large pan.....w/o gloves, then just whipped hands clean with paper towels, to make a customers tuna sub of the day......I went to a small catered by that shop gathering and passed on the chix parm......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .....FWIW, the new Kingston Pizza, near old Jerry’s, recently had a guy mixes chicken parts, spices, liquids etc in large pan.....w/o gloves, then just whipped hands clean with paper towels, to make a customers tuna sub of the day......I went to a small catered by that shop gathering and passed on the chix parm......
Pretty sure you weren't supposed to see that specific sequence. Like, isn't that proprietary info/part of the secret recipe?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....maybe, many of us survived ny system all the way, up the sweaty bare arm, that was part of the recipe too......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .....maybe, many of us survived ny system all the way, up the sweaty bare arm, that was part of the recipe too......

Kingston Pizza DOES have Wild Weiner Wednesday!

Not sure how I feel about the raw chicken/tuna combo. :shock:
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Don't know why I did it, but I ordered again from this disgusting place again. Waited a year almost. But no. The Kingston Pizza in Pt Judith is the most disgusting pizza joint ever.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Is Fat Jacks still going?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Don't know why I did it, but I ordered again from this disgusting place again. Waited a year almost. But no. The Kingston Pizza in Pt Judith is the most disgusting pizza joint ever.
That's a drag...we've been sticking with Effie Filippou's Twisted Pizza in Exeter <for me, I must be able to go there and have a beer/order takeout...or someone else can go...or we can get delivery> I'm by no means a pizza expert, but I think they made some kinda crust change within the last couple months, and I like it even more than I did.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The Kingston pizza in Peacedale was always decent, or the one on campus.
0 x
GO RAMS
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago Is Fat Jacks still going?
Don't believe so. Think they changed a few years back.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago Is Fat Jacks still going?
Don't believe so. Think they changed a few years back.
RIP to a real one. That place was always empty all day until about 1am then it was a mob scene haha.
1 x