PC Basketball News and Midnight Madness 2019

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
ramster
Frank Keaney

PC Basketball News and Midnight Madness 2019

Unread post by ramster »

PC announced Wednesday that Legend will appear at the Dunk on October 5 as part of its annual Late Night Madness festivities. Also performing will be rap sensation A Boogie wit da Hoodie.

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... oop-season
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: PC Basketball News and Midnight Madness 2019

Unread post by adam914 »

5 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

That video is a timeless classic. It will never not be funny.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago That video is a timeless classic. It will never not be funny.
Haha, agreed. I feel obligated to post it any time PC and Midnight Madness are mentioned.
2 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

John legend is an interesting choice as I’m not sure how popular he is with the 18-21 year olds. He couldn’t have come cheap- he’s playing at the Tennis HOF the night before and the cheapest seat is $250 face val.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

John popped right around the time of my junior year. "Let's Get Lifted" and "Used to Love U" are FIRE. I would love to see him live but absolutely not when it is a Pee Cee event.

Also, Adam, thank you for posting the geekiest/cheesiest video to ever be posted on YouTube.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

A big name but an odd fit for a pep rally type event.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Been awhile since I seen that video and I admit I don’t like much about PC but that was some good acting right there
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PC is moving their event out of Alumni Hall and to the DDC. It will be open only to students and season ticket holders. Since their season ticket base skews to older more mature adults (with a good portion elderly), they need to find an entertainer that might appeal to them. Lawrence Welk has unfortunately been unavailable these last 27 years.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago PC is moving their event out of Alumni Hall and to the DDC. It will be open only to students and season ticket holders. Since their season ticket base skews to older more mature adults (with a good portion elderly), they need to find an entertainer that might appeal to them. Lawrence Welk has unfortunately been unavailable these last 27 years.
HAHA! Lawrence Welk. All I ever think of is the SNL skit where Kristen Wiig has the tiny hand. :lol:

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

John Legend is a very odd choice for a Midnight Madness type event...is everyone going to hold hands with their significant other and whisper sweet nothings. Weird.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

They have to buy the tickets
$45 end zone
$150 courtside

RF1
I told you they had to pay for this. And steep too
I know of many alumni who are not going because of the price and the entertainment selection
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago John Legend is a very odd choice for a Midnight Madness type event...is everyone going to hold hands with their significant other and whisper sweet nothings. Weird.
:lol:

John Tesh would have been the perfect choice. Begin with some Roundball Rock.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

What, no Enya??
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago What, no Enya??
Enya was taken away by the Orinoco flow.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago What, no Enya??
https://evoke.ie/2016/04/30/news/irish- ... h-her-cats

She apparently lives in a castle alone with her cats. That sounds like my worst nightmare.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I later read that she doesn’t tour so that’s why PC couldn’t get her.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

What they really should have done is this:

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Check out the prices for PC's Late Night Madness. Got to cover the DDC rental fee and entertainer costs somehow.
Screenshot_2019-08-12 Late Night Madness.png
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Surprised the Newport concert organizers didn’t have a clause in the contract with John Legend that he couldn’t perform within a specific distance/time period from their event. I think this is fairly common in the entertainment industry.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Surprised the Newport concert organizers didn’t have a clause in the contract with John Legend that he couldn’t perform within a specific distance/time period from their event. I think this is fairly common in the entertainment industry.
I was thinking the same thing! Say an artist had a show at Mohegan one night, Providence would be deemed "too close", but TD Garden would be out of that zone, and vice versa.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago They have to buy the tickets
$45 end zone
$150 courtside
RF1
I poster earlier that they had to pay significantly for this. And steep too
I know of many PC alumni who are not going because of the price and the entertainment selection not being very popular with them
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago They have to buy the tickets
$45 end zone
$150 courtside
RF1
I poster earlier that they had to pay significantly for this. And steep too
I know of many PC alumni who are not going because of the price and the entertainment selection not being very popular with them
I'ts ODD. I like both artists, but it's just a weird selection for Holy Madness (my new name for it).
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

This may be considered a private event....exempt from usual contract clauses.....the general public cannot buy a ticket.....only invitees....pc donors and students....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago This may be considered a private event....exempt from usual contract clauses.....the general public cannot buy a ticket.....only invitees....pc donors and students....
It's not, it's open to the public as far as I know. Especially if it's "friends and family and alumni" of PC students, I am assuming they'd have to prove that in order to get a seat? I'd consider myself general public for anything related to that school even though I am "friends and family" of their alumni? Season Ticket Holders get "priority access" for seats.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I just got an email from PC about purchasing tickets to this event. I am not a Friar season ticket holder. I however used to purchase tickets every other year to the URI game at the PCC/DDC. I haven't however done so in many years but they have my email address and still send me info.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Dunkin donuts Center just sent out an email to purchase tickets for the Midnight Madness. Its for "friends of the Dunkin Donuts Center" aka anyone on their mailing list. Looks like ticket sales weren't so great limiting it to just PC students/families/alum.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I got an invite a month ago and I’m not a friend of PC :roll: :roll:

Seriously though the tickets are quite expensive considering what it is
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

To be clear it was sent from the Dunk- So I'm assuming if you were on their mailing list from any event you got this email.
Also- With the 2 performers and other midnight madness events- this is either going to be a very long night or a very short concert.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I received an email from a friend once to sign up for the "Friends of the Friars" golf tournament.

I responded that when the "Enemies of the Friars" held their tournament I would go.
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

A bunch of people sleeping through a John Legend set sounds like the perfect midnight madness for the Fryers.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
I am always amused by this.
3 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
I am always amused by this.
I'm surprised Keno is still coaching and isn't acting in a primetime drama. What a performance! The editing on that "conversation" was superb.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Always a good excuse to post that video. ^^

I saw some of the “entertainment” at the DDC posted on someone’s IG story. They have the Red Panda Unicycle lady.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

PC catching Kansas-like heat for having an artist on stage using profanities and the N word repeatedly.
Seems like some old white people are making a lot of bad decisions with their artist bookings.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago PC catching Kansas-like heat for having an artist on stage using profanities and the N word repeatedly.
Seems like some old white people are making a lot of bad decisions with their artist bookings.
What happens when you try to be hip and woke...when you shouldn't.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The controversy at PC wasn't difficult to predict. They opened up their late night madness to include non students, primarily alumni and friends of the program (who are for the most part older and white). With the wide spectrum of audience demographics, they then booked entertainment acts which would each singularly cater to different parts of the crowd. No one should be surprised the older white people did not enjoy the 'F' & 'N' words dropped during the 'A Boogie wit da Hoodie Concert' portion. The students probably were not much into John Legend. In the end you cannot please all of the people all of the time. The after effect is that prominent Providence College graduate Vincent Marzullo, president of the RI AARP, wrote to the PC president expressing he was offended and disturbed by some of the entertainment he paid $85/seat for and went to the local press as well.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

People just love to complain. What type of music did Marzullo think "a boogie wit da hoodie" was going to be exactly? If you don't like the music just get up and leave. Same if you feel the show is offensive. If URI did something like that I just wouldn't go; it's no big deal.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago People just love to complain. What type of music did Marzullo think "a boogie wit da hoodie" was going to be exactly? If you don't like the music just get up and leave. Same if you feel the show is offensive. If URI did something like that I just wouldn't go; it's no big deal.
Agree with the don't go route. What's a little weirder is when the org that hires the talent apologizes after the fact (Kansas: "Sorry. We had no idea that the Dogg would be nasty. No...really...he promised...we pinkie swore on it and everything....we're as dumb surprised as you are")
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This definitely shouldn't receive the heat that Kansas is getting, but If I had a young child with me at the dunk and they hear the N word and other cursing going on, I wouldn't be too pleased either. I think thats understandable, even though its college.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

But for anyone to be surprised by that? Who would not expect the use of language like that when booking or in buying tickets?
You’d have to have been living under a rock for 30 years.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PC has publicly responded to the complaints:

According to a statement from Providence College, the college sought assurances from the rapper that the performance be clean and free from profanity.

“Providence College never would have invited this performer had we not been reassured he could deliver a performance that was within the bounds of the contract,” the college said. “We apologize to anyone who was offended, and we are taking steps to prevent this type of occurrence from happening again at future events.”
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago The controversy at PC wasn't difficult to predict. They opened up their late night madness to include non students, primarily alumni and friends of the program (who are for the most part older and white). With the wide spectrum of audience demographics, they then booked entertainment acts which would each singularly cater to different parts of the crowd. No one should be surprised the older white people did not enjoy the 'F' & 'N' words dropped during the 'A Boogie wit da Hoodie Concert' portion. The students probably were not much into John Legend. In the end you cannot please all of the people all of the time. The after effect is that prominent Providence College graduate Vincent Marzullo, president of the RI AARP, wrote to the PC president expressing he was offended and disturbed by some of the entertainment he paid $85/seat for and went to the local press as well.
This hits the nail on the head...in trying to create an event for everyone they are getting caught with their pants down. Schools need to decide, are these glorified pep rallies for students only and thus go in 1 direction (rappers, fireworks, pole dancers) or are these opening season practices for the entire fan base (cheerleaders, the band and a scrimmage) and go in another direction. Trying to middle it is where you have the ridiculousness of A Hoodie and John Legend on the same bill. When you try to appeal to everyone you appeal to no one...golden rule of marketing.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Pee-C’s Catholic values go as far as the cash register.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.